Start by marking “Angelhood” as Want to Read:
Angelhood

Angelhood

Seventeen-year-old theater geek Nanette believes her life is headed toward stardom on Broadway. But when her dream theater college rejects her and her best friend dies in a terrible accident, Nanette decides the world would be better off without her. Unfortunately, the afterlife offers something less than a heavenly situation. Trapped between alternating periods of utter d ...more
Paperback
Published April 30th 2015 by Vinspire (first published March 27th 2015)

Janette
Feb 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Great for teens and adults
Angelhood is a unique, refreshing novel. Although it deals with a serious subject (suicide), there is much hope and redemption. Have you ever considered whether you have a guardian angel? This book explores what it’s like to be a guardian angel. Nanette is completely relatable, and you really want to see her succeed, but will she? The plot pulls you in and keeps you engaged throughout the entire story. Will Nanette earn her wings? Will she help Vera? What led to her own suicide? Can Nanette batt ...more
Sharon
Mar 07, 2015 added it
Loved this book. From page 1 until the end, I was reading like a mad women. Great job to this author.
Steven R. McEvoy
Jan 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2017
I have mixed feelings about this book. It is my introduction to A.J. Cattapan's writings, and it is very well written. But I also have a little unease. So First I will cover off the positives and then share my concerns.

First this book is very well written. It grabs you right away and you really want to know what is going to happen next. It is new and unique in presenting Guardian Angels, as people who have already passed away, and they are given a chance to help someone who faces struggles simi
A.K. Frailey
Jun 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I wish I could go back in time and put this book in the hands of some young people who gave up on their lives. Young or old, this story gives the reader something to seriously contemplate - what is the next life really like? And does suicide offer the best way out of misery? Using expressive literary licence, an intimate understanding of young adult experiences, and the pain of a broken heart, A. J. Cattapan does a marvelous job creating an atmosphere the reader will never completely forget... a ...more
Carolyn
Angelhood offers important messages about hope and regret through the first-person account of 17-year-old Nanette, who, in the first chapter, puts a gun to her head and pulls the trigger. From there she embarks on her “angelhood.”

Despite the name, the body-less souls, and the acquisition of wings, the period of “angelhood” bears more resemblance to purgatory than angelic life. In order to gain her own redemption, Nanette is assigned a charge whom she must prevent from making the same fatal mista
Corinna Turner
May 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a thought-provoking and moving read that deals sensitively with a very serious subject. The first couple of pages are quite shocking, though if you’ve read the synopsis what happens won’t be a surprise, and the rest of the book pulls one along with the need to know what happens, whether it can all turn out alright.

Some reviewers have noted that this is not a theologically accurate presentation of the afterlife, and indeed it is not, however, there is a cast iron reason for this within t
Ginny Marie
Feb 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The place Nanette feels most alive is on stage, and she has big dreams to become an actress. However, real life interferes with these dreams, and after a succession of tragic events, Nanette decides that life is not worth living. Little does she know that the afterlife is even more real than life itself.

She embarks into Angelhood and meets Vera, a girl like herself, also contemplating suicide. Can Nanette prevent Vera from making the same mistake? Nanette must battle the demons that haunt Vera a
Erin Cupp
Jan 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Theresa Linden
Sep 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
“Angelhood” is a bit of “It’s a Wonderful Life” and “13 Reasons Why” with some Dean Koontz style supernatural elements! Written for young adults, this story deals with the difficult subjects of teen depression, loneliness and suicide in a way that offers hope. This book could potentially save lives by providing a new perspective to someone who is suffering with similar struggles.

I think many young people will identify with the main character, seventeen-year-old Nanette, even if they don’t have s
Nicole
Dec 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This was a beautiful, heartbreaking book. The cover art is fantastic, and the poetry is incredible. I'm not an expert on Angelology (I think that's the word,) but I’m pretty sure that the way the angels are depicted in this book is not considered correct by the Catholic Church, which means that this is the first book, and the second story (the first being the film “It's a Wonderful Life,”) with inaccurate depictions of angels that I thoroughly enjoyed.

Nanette was annoying at first. She's just s
Rondi Olson
Aug 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I wasn't sure what to expect from this book. In general contemporary, issue, and urban fantasy books aren't my favorites, and it seemed like this book was all three. I'm glad I overcame my prejudices to give ANGELHOOD a try.

ANGELHOOD brought me to tears several times. In addition to evoking deep emotion, the author did an excellent job putting in compelling story form some pretty solid advice about dealing with depression and suicidal thoughts.

That being said, I would have liked to see some ment
Pegg
Apr 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: e-books-read
This story is amazing. A.J. Cattapan does a great job tackling a very tough subject for our youth today, suicide. What better use for fiction than driving home truths in a palatable format that our kids will enjoy. The characters are engaging, realistic, and on a journey that will keep youths - and adults - turning the pages.

The opening scene is hard-hitting. High school senior Nanette commits suicide. Where can the story go from there? How about into a whole new realm. Nanette finds herself in
Leslea Wahl
Oct 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Angelhood by AJ Cattapan is a captivating YA novel that tackles an extremely difficult subject while putting an intriguing and heartfelt twist to it. Cattapan is a talented writer who has effortlessly created a story about teen suicide which is moving, positive, and uplifting. This hard to put down book encourages readers to think about the good in their lives and how much they’d miss it if they did the unthinkable and gave it up. The lead character is completely relatable and likeable, as reade ...more
Barb
Apr 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is a YA novel but it will appeal to adults as well. Parents, this YA novel is completely safe to share with your kids in middle school and up. It's a powerful and compassionate look at suicide as seen through the eyes of a teenager who does the unthinkable. In this story, "purgatory" means that a person becomes the guardian angel for someone else contemplating the same fate. Purgatory ends when the ultimate choice for life or death is made.

A.J. Cattapan has written a great story with terrif
Heather
May 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Wow. From beginning to end … Wow!

This impeccably written story follows Nannette, a ‘lifer’ sent to angelhood to grow in grace while guarding another troubled soul – one who teeters on the brink of destruction. Plots, subplots and even a sub, sub-plot keep truths hidden from the reader, as we journey with Nannette. Dark issues such as suicide, drug overdose, cancer, loneliness and depression are interwoven with light and the realization that free will allows us to choose.

The story pulled me in f
Beth Steury
Apr 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A.J. Cattapan's debut novel beautifully portrays the tragic yet hope-filled story of Nanette. With sensitivity and a hefty dose of reality, Cattapan weaves an intriguing story that will keep you on the edge of your seat as you long for Nanette to find peace and closure. Brimming with creativity and imagination, Nanette's journey will hold you breathless until the very end... then will render you speechless.
Deanna Stevens
Aug 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015-list
This is not my usual genre but I received a copy from the author for my opinion. So, I have read it and I found this YA novel is about a difficult dark subject. Suicide.... Interesting characters and a engaging story line that kept me wondering.. I thought it a sad, dark story but I was pleasantly surprised with the ending.. A.J. Cattapan covered the topic of suicide with a compassionate, powerful message that there is help and hope in seemingly hopeless situations.
Gretchen
Mar 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
From the terrifying first page to the twisty end, I was enthralled with Nanette's story. This story is something like "It's a Wonderful Life" for teens. As a former drama geek, I loved all of the theatre references. A.J. takes tough topics like teen suicide, cancer, bullying, and drug abuse and deals with them in a sensitive way. The story unwinds at a steady pace. I loved this story and want to read more books by A.J.
Anne
Apr 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
This is a great book for any middle or high schooler that has ever felt like life just isn't going his/her way (which is pretty much all of them). Despite the darkness at the beginning of the book it is really quite uplifting. I would definitely recommend it to anyone middle school on up. I fully enjoyed it as an adult. Great start to your writing career A.J.! I look forward to seeing what your future holds!
Cynthia
Mar 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A captivating story, Angelhood shows teens how selfish actions have long-reaching consequences but small efforts can make a tremendous difference in the lives of others. Whatever your beliefs regarding angels are, this novel is definitely worth reading. Prepare to shed a few tears with its characters as well as share in their triumphs.
Melanie
Jun 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book really touched my heart in a way no other book had. Depression and loneliness and despair is something that everyone can relate to and the the reoccurring theme of hope throughout the book sends a very powerful and beautiful message. I am so glad I read this. It's rejuvenating and aspiring.
Linda Sammaritan
Oct 31, 2015 rated it liked it
Anna
Sep 03, 2015 added it
This guardian angel novel touched on some heart issues but we did it in a way that was respectful it's definitely had some suspense and I love the overall message I think this is definitely a quick read worth picking up
Lisa
Mar 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
What a great read! I don't take nearly enough time to read but I couldn't put this book down! Such a unique book with a unique perspective. It may be a young adult book but I think it's a great read for everyone!
Mayor Crazyville
Mar 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Great job, A.J. Love it! I would highly recommend this book.
Mary
Apr 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
The story seemed unique and kept me reading. Well written.

I was surprised with the ending...although I think I was more prepared for a different one.
Kathy
Mar 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is an excellent book! It is so wonderful to see a new book that gives a positive message of hope to teens!
Hope
Apr 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful

This book is brilliantly written with a wonderful plot and a meaningful message.
I highly recommend this book to read!
Oct 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Angelhood is the kind of book that you read late into the night without even feeling guilty for. The story was gripping, and I kept wanting to figure out what was happening to Nanette.

Before you jump in, there are some things to consider. This book deals heavily with suicide with some cutting. If you were once suicidal or a cutter, this might be very triggering. It was horrible trudging through the first four chapters, but once I climbed the hill, it was okay without any full-on flashbacks or
Maria Theresa
Oct 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful book!

I have to admit it wasn't captivating at first, but it grew on me, and I finished it within half a day. While depression is a big theme, so is strength and a hopeful Catholic optimism. It is quite a reflective book, especially for someone of my age in these times, and it is, in fact, quite unlike any other book I've ever read. And finally, the ending is more astonishing and captivating than any of the wonders in the pages before it.

I would recommend this book to many young teen

• I Am Margaret (I Am Margaret #1)
  • Stay with Me
  • 8 Notes to a Nobody (Bird Face, #1)
  • The Clowns of God
  • Don't You Forget About Me (Cate Whelihan #1)
  • The Rose and the Sword (The Veritas Chronicles #2)
  • The Life of Mary As Seen By the Mystics
  • The Case of the Haunted Chapel (Sisters of the Last Straw #1)
  • Murder in Ordinary Time (Sister Mary Helen, #4)
  • My Life on the Rock: A Rebel Returns to the Catholic Faith
  • Trusting God with St. Therese
  • The Facts of Life: And Other Lessons My Father Taught Me
  • Kaleidoscope Eyes (Family Honor #2)
  • Redeemed: A Spiritual Misfit Stumbles Toward God, Marginal Sanity, and the Peace That Passes All Understanding
  • God and Donald Trump
  • The Third Miracle: An Ordinary Man, a Medical Mystery, and a Trial of Faith
  • Parish Priest: Father Michael McGivney and American Catholicism
  • The Political Pope: How Pope Francis Is Delighting the Liberal Left and Abandoning Conservatives

A.J. Cattapan began writing stories in the third grade. Suspiciously, all her stories seemed to be about a girl named Amy. Eventually, her writing became less self-centered, and her short stories and articles began appearing in children's magazines. This led eventually to her first Chicken Soup for the Soul contribution (see From Lemons to Lemonade) and then to her first young adult novel, A