Start by marking “Perdas e Danos” as Want to Read:
Perdas e Danos

Perdas e Danos

3.97  ·  Rating details ·  14,906 ratings  ·  1,332 reviews
Travis Brown é um rapaz diferente da maioria dos jovens de sua idade. Aos 23 anos, já conheceu – e perdeu – seu grande amor, já precisou lutar pela guarda da lha na justiça e agora trabalha incansavelmente para sustentá-la. Sua rotina não é fácil, mas ele consegue levar uma vida digna.

De repente, tudo começa a dar errado: ele perde o emprego, sua casa pega fogo e sua mãe m
Published February 2nd 2015 by Arqueiro (first published 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Perdas e Danos, please sign up.
Recent Questions
This question contains spoilers... (view spoiler)

·  14,906 ratings  ·  1,332 reviews

Start your review of Perdas e Danos
KAS
Aug 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

How far would you go when you are at your wits end, when someone else is completely relying on you to provide for them, when all your other options have fizzled out?

I was totally engaged discovering just how far this “good father” would go.

Like usual, I went in blind and was surprised there was a bit of a suspenseful element.

Love, loss and starting over is the overall message in this storyline.

I also listened to this through my fabulous local library’s audiobook selection, and love, love, loved
Michelle
Jun 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Totally loved this book. Although I could have cried at ever written word. Travis and Bella completely got under my skin. Would definitely recommend.
Brenda
Travis Brown – a young, single father to almost four-year-old Bella, the light of his life. But the day of the fire changed everything about their lives in an instant. Would they ever know happiness again?

Living from day to day in a trailer in Carolina Beach, then following a job offer to Raleigh, Travis was desperate to change their circumstances. He hated that Bella had to sleep in his van – to no longer have a home; to have to clean up in the rest rooms they passed along the way. So, would th
Myrna
Sep 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-own, audiobooks
I love Diane Chamberlain’s books! She knows how to write family drama. The Good Father was realistic with characters you care about. Great story about illness, parenthood, loss, and love. I was a bit confused with the alternating POVs at the beginning but loved the way the book came together at the end. Got a bit…
. IMG_0199
4.5 stars!
Janelle
Apr 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012, favorites
I finished reading this a few days ago but am just now getting to the review. I've already finished a book since then but I'll try my best to explain why I liked it so much.

I liked it's originality. I haven't read a book like this in a long time so I enjoyed every moment of it. It was a parenthood/love/semi-crime/minor-political/twist-of-fate novel with a wonderful plot. I don't recall ever reading a book by Diane Chamberlain before but I can tell you that it will not be the last.

Okay, not the b
Susan
Feb 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What an awesome read! From the first page until the last you can't help but get caught up in the lives on these people. I couldn't stop turning the pages! I just had to know how it was going to end! I was so worried about Travis and the choices he was making! He truly loves his daughter and only wants the best for her.

Another great read from Diane and I have no doubt that this will be a #1 best seller!!

Note: I received this book free from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
Carol
Jun 05, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not my favorite Diane Chamberlain novel, but certainly very enjoyable. Narrated by the three main characters; Travis, Erin, and Robin, this heartfelt story defines parenthood at its worst and best, but always with lots of love for an innocent little girl, Bella. Look forward to reading more of DC.
Tasmin
Jul 18, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I had to force myself to finish this book. I picked it up because people were comparing the author to Jodi Picoult, who I love. After finishing the book, I don't understand the comparisons at all. In Jodi Picoult books you tend to actually like the characters- I wouldn't have cared if they all died in this book. Also, in Jodi Picoult books you can generally understand why the characters do what they do. In this book Travis did idiotic thing after idiotic thing (none of which made much sense or w ...more
Stacie Vaughan
May 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Diane Chamberlain has quickly become one of my favourite authors. Her writing style reminds of Jodi Picoult with the way she uses multiple narrators. In fact, I’d even say that I prefer Diane Chamberlain of Jodi Picoult. That’s saying something about how much I love Ms. Chamberlain’s books because Jodi Picoult has always been one of my favourite authors.

I read The Good Father at lightning speed even though it was 347 pages long. It’s one of those books that you cannot put down and I even found m
Rose
Initial reaction: A surprisingly engaging narrative from the perspective of three individuals whose journeys intersect quite notably throughout the narrative. It came together so well and I'll admit it kept me hooked from beginning to end.

Full review:

I think it's official: Diane Chamberlain's a new favorite author for me. The way she crafts the characters in her narratives feel so real, even when the scenario itself is a little out of the ordinary.

"The Good Father" toggles between three perspect
Aoibhínn
Four years ago, nineteen-year-old Travis Brown made a choice: to raise his newborn daughter, Bella, on his own. While most of his friends were out partying and meeting girls, Travis was at home, worrying about keeping food on the table. So far he's kept Bella safe and never regretted his decision for a second. But after a devastating house fire, he's lost his home and his mother, who was helping him raise Bella, and his job. The few dollars he has in his wallet is all he has left. As things spir ...more
Lauren K
May 12, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
At 23 years old, Travis is the father and sole carer of four year old adorable Bella. Following a house fire where he lost his mother and his home and all his savings, followed by the loss of his job, he and Bella are left homeless and penniless. Desperate to find work he accepts a vague job with a guy called Roy that his friend Savannah recommends. Unknowingly he gets roped into doing a drug run and Travis is too tempted by the one-off cash payment for a few hours’ work to turn it down.

He take
Susan
Feb 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It takes more than sperm to make a man a father, Travis certainly proves that as the lead character in Chamberlain's "The Good Father." Yet, this story's strength is that it is not just Travis's story we hear or even that of his precious daughter with her pink purse but of everyone whose life is changed by one child on one night by one choice, a choice Travis made because he wanted to be a Good Father. In this book you hear from Travis as he struggles to overcome life in a recession when everyth ...more
Diane S ☔
3.5 Diane Chamberlain has mastered the art of creating fascinating characters and infusing them into stories of moral and ethical dilemmas. Travis, a single father of only 23, is depending on his mother for her help and childcare in taking care of his four year old daughter. Due to circumstances of fate, he loses this help and his job, finds himself living in a broken down trailer unable to adequately provide for her. Erin is a woman dealing with her own set of problems, but her fate becomes ent ...more
Anne
Feb 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
It might be I'm not the best person to be doing a review of Diane Chamberlain's newest book - I've never read a book of hers that I haven't enjoyed, and all my critical faculties are suspended. But standing back a little, this one really was quite excellent, a powerful tale of families, grief and love. If Jodi Picoult has a recognisable formula (and why do the publishers feel the need to keep using the "If you like Jodi..." sticker?), so does Diane Chamberlain with her different narrators. This ...more
Andrea
Nov 04, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Almost, but not quite, 4 Stars.

Remember the good 'ole Woody Woodpecker from the 80's? There was this line repeated in a deep voice in nearly almost episode:
"If Woody Had Gone Right to the Police...... this would never have happened"

Well, that voice couldn't help but run through my head over and over and over, bad decision after bad decision. So yeah, I kinda wanted to smack Travis upside the head and knock some sense into him. But alas, I had no choice but to follow him down the rabbit hole.

Re
Sheryl Sorrentino
I really enjoyed this book. I’m not sure whether it merits four or five stars, but only because it isn’t a great work of literature. The writing is fairly simple. But after abandoning Donna Tartt’s The Little Friend after 222 pages (of 658!), “great literature” wasn’t what I was looking for. The Good Father proves that not every tale must be told with brilliant prose in order to be great.

And make no mistake, The Good Father is one heck of a story! Actually, it deftly interweaves three different
PacaLipstick Gramma
I have read several of this author's books, and always loved them. This one? Not so much.

There was not a whole lot of mystery in this. I thought it was a sappy, too romancey, and very predictable book.

In this day and age, I couldn't believe the characters were so naively stupid. I had a hard time wrapping my brain around their gullibility. The story could have been believable if hadn't been so "perfect". I just couldn't buy it.

It almost felt like Ms Chamberlain wanted to get a new book on the sh
Laurie • The Baking Bookworm

ISBN-13: 978-0778313465
Format: Kindle ebook
Publisher: Harlequin
Publication Date: April 24, 2012
First Line: “It was nine-forty when I woke up in the back of the van."

Synopsis: When Travis was 19 years old he made a decision that would change his life -- to raise his newborn daughter on his own. Instead of heading to university and partying with his friends Travis spent his days changing diapers and car
Amy
Jun 16, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Good Father is as much the story of what one man would do for his daughter as what two mothers would do for theirs. It is also the story of how one little girl can heal three broken people.

Travis Brown is twenty-two, an age when most people are fresh out of college, bursting with the promise of what they will do next and believing that the world is their oyster. But for Travis, the world seems more like a dark, gaping wound. His high school love, Robin, had a life-threatening heart ailment,
Christa
Mar 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook-arc
The Good Father was a compelling story of a young father who makes difficult and poor choices while trying to take care of the precious daughter who means everything to him. Travis Brown was a likeable character who had more than he could deal with at his young age. His daughter, Bella, was a wonderful addition to the story. Erin and Michael were great characters who were trying to find their way back from deep despair after losing their daughter. Robin is the mother who had powerful reasons for ...more
DubaiReader
Mar 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-book, 2012, netgalley
Thought provoking.

This was a highly thought provoking read, centred around the question of what really constitutes a 'good father'. Yes, he'd have to be loving, caring, thoughtful etc, but how far should he go for his child - should he commit crime to keep her fed and watered?

I was gripped from the first page of this book, which was expertly narrated by the three main characters: Travis, Bella's father, Robin, her mother, and Erin, recently bereaved of her own young daughter, but who is drawn to
LiteraryMarie
Feb 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Three narrators. One little girl. One story. Choices that will affect everyone.

Travis and Robin fell in love at a young age. Robin literally had a fragile heart due to a genetic heart condition. Travis had to make a hard choice: allow their newborn daughter to be adopted or raise her alone. He chose the latter. After a house fire and loss of his construction job, Travis really fell on hard times. Damn near homeless and desperate to keep food on the table, Travis takes a job in Raleigh, North Car
Cocktails and Books
Diane Chamberlain books are more than just a read, they are an emotional experience. She has a unique ability to write material that affects you deeply, giving you characters that are easy to love. She uses subject matter that pushes the limits of your own comfort and causes you to ask yourself just how far you’d go, if the situation were your own. This book did just that.

The characters that the author has created are complex, raw and real. They all have their own personal demons to face, pasts
Judy D Collins
Sep 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely loved this book (NOOK) and did not want it to end (difficult, since I could not put it down)! Inspiring, this book was centered in seaside NC (native) with three main strong and loveable characters, each with struggles of their own with personal growth, healing, and lessons to be learned. The plot planning and writing style were excellent—with tensions building throughout the book. You felt connected to each of the main characters – how desperation drives actions, choices, and outco ...more
Jaffareadstoo
Jun 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My thanks to NetGalley, and St Martin’s Press / Minotaur Books for a pre publication galley.

The Good Father draws together the story of three people, who are all brought together by desperation and loss, and focuses on fractured lives and shattered souls.

Travis is a young father, desperately struggling to look after his four year old daughter, Bella; he knows he must provide for her, and yet, in doing so, he becomes involved in a dangerous situation.

Robin, although trying to focus on her new li
Donna
Sep 28, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book. Love, lies, grief, and desperation. The author put a lot of detail into developing the various parental relationships. I liked Travis and his role as father to Bella. It was strong and heartbreaking. Erin's grief was drawn out a little too much, but I liked how her story ended. The ending was on the sappy side, but I thought the resolution was equal to the conflict. So for me, it worked. ...more
Nicole
Mar 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow! This book was an emotional roller coaster for me from the first to last word. I had tears in my eyes the whole time. It was a strong story that had me reviewing my life...decisions made by choice and by chance. It showcases the strength and resiliency so many people have to have in life, just to survive. Diane Chamberlain is a masterful writer.
Trish at Between My Lines
An emotional, lively, heart-warming book just like every other Diane Chamberlain book. I loved how the 3 pov's connected and thoroughly enjoyed each voice especially as they were all so different. The crescendo was probably a bit over dramatic and everything was solved too easily but I was just happy for it all to end the way it did.

Jen Smith

• The Four Winds
  • When You Were Mine
  • The Book of Lost Names
  • The Book of Two Ways
  • Troubles in Paradise (Paradise, #3)
  • The Book of Lost Friends
  • Home Front
  • Fly Away (Firefly Lane, #2)
  • A Mother's Promise
  • Invisible Girl
  • 28 Summers
  • Remembering Kobe Bryant: Players, Coaches, and Broadcasters Recall the Greatest Basketball Player of His Generation
  • The Truth About Melody Browne
  • The Tiger's Child: What Ever Happened to Sheila?
  • Forgive Me
  • The Girl Who Never Came Home
  • The Return
See top shelves…
Diane Chamberlain is the New York Times, USA Today and (London) Sunday Times best-selling author of 27 novels. The daughter of a school principal who supplied her with a new book almost daily, Diane quickly learned the emotional power of story. Although she wrote many small “books” as a child, she didn’t seriously turn to writing fiction until her early thirties when she was waiting for a delayed ...more