Start by marking “First Time in Forever (Puffin Island, #1)” as Want to Read:
First Time in Forever (Puffin Island, #1)

First Time in Forever

(Puffin Island #1)

Happily-Ever-After isn’t on Emily Donovan’s agenda…

Emily’s been too swept up in a challenging year of firsts, from becoming a stand-in mum to her niece Lizzy to moving to remote but beautiful Puffin Island, to think about love.

But that’s before charismatic local yacht club owner Ryan Cooper kisses her…

Ryan knows Emily has a complicated past that she’s struggling to face.

Published February 24th 2015 by Mills & Boon

To ask other readers questions about First Time in Forever, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about First Time in Forever

Start your review of First Time in Forever (Puffin Island, #1)
Geri Reads
Dec 30, 2014 rated it liked it
It's no secret that I love Sarah Morgan's books. I love her author voice and her characters always do it for me. While I liked First Time in Forever, I didn't love it. It lacked a certain 'omph' factor for me.

Emily is hiding out in Puffin Island with her niece Lizzy after her famous half-sister died in a plane crash. Ryan is a former journalist who lives on the island. They're attracted to each other but because of their individual baggage, can't commit to a long term relationship. So they
☕️Kimberly
Dec 05, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Coffee dates with First Time in Forever

First date: We meet Emily and Lizzie her niece as they make their way on the ferry to Puffin Island. Emily has an overwhelming fear of water and is very unsure of her new role as Emily’s stand-in Mom. Morgan allowed me to connect to both of them and I am anxious to see what develops. Enter Ryan Cooper. He owes Brit a favor and when she asks him to check in on her friend staying at the Castaway Cottage he agrees. She isn't his type and the kid should be an
Cora Tea Party Princess
Feb 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
5 Words: Fame, family, love, relationships, island.

How does Sarah Morgan do it? How does she manage to take you away to these perfect places? I'd already fallen in love with Snow Crystal with her last series, and with this new one, I am so in love with Puffin Island.

This was a fantastic read, a perfect escape.

Emily is a fantastic character, and I loved how she changed as you read. The further the story progressed, the more she grew up and discovered who she was. I loved the tension and the
Claire Robinson
4 - "Feelings are the hardest thing in life to control." Stars!

I am starting to get a little author crush on Sarah Morgan, I fell in love with her writing style and easy going story telling after reading her 2014 novel Maybe The Christmas, so when the opportunity presented itself to read the first book in her new Puffin Island series, it was a total no-brainer.

First Time in Forever is the perfect beginning, three friends
Emily, Brittany and Skylar have used Brittany’s grandmothers beach home
Mo
Aug 19, 2016 rated it liked it
A sweet read but it didn't WOW me. Will I continue with the series. Probably.

My previous book was a HUGE 5 stars so it is hard to read one after that.

Sex scenes were quite hot.

Nicola
Jun 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars.

description You’re going to love Puffin Island.”

Couldn’t put it better myself. Onto the next!

description
KatLynne
Great start to this series! Well written, witty banter, lovely small town coastal setting, and charismatic, sexy hero. Looking forward to the next installment!
Jenn - Reviews
Mar 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a reread. What a beautiful story! Touching, just beautifully written.
Emily, our heroine, has just had a massive life changing experience and she will never be the same again. She is strong but oh so vulnerable. Having been made the guardian of a six year old child whom she's never met and having to all of a sudden be a parent figure is difficult enough. Moving to a place where her biggest phobia exists just makes it even more difficult.
Enter Ryan, our hero - caring, loving, supportive
Jacob Proffitt
This was okay, and I liked it a whole more in the end than in the beginning. Most of the beginning felt contrived. It didn't help that some things came across as manipulative on the part of the author.

Emily is one of those heroines the author expects us to believe has been essentially the same her entire life. She suffered an early trauma and that has supposedly affected her entire life until now. There are a few reasons that doesn't work. First, nobody is entirely the same her entire life.
Jess
Review posted: Happily Ever After - Reads
Blog rating: C-

If you’ve read any of my past reviews, you’ll already know I’m a sucker when it comes to sweet small town, or island in this case, stories, and that’s what we get with this new Puffin Island series. Ryan, a former journalist, moved back to the island after a tragic accident while he was on assignment. He was injured and the accident killed his friend and co-worker. After a childhood cut short by his parent’s deaths, he was forced to grow up
Ami
Dec 06, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, arc-books
I really loved Sarah Morgan’s previous romance-trilogy, so I was excited when I read that she would be releasing another trilogy this year. And it would be set on an island!! Small-town romance is my favorite kind of romance, and I love a story that is situated on an island because it makes the community-vibe stronger.

So how did this one go?

Well, I was absolutely LOVING it as well!!

In the beginning, I didn’t know whether I could warm up to Emily. Emily discovered that she has become a guardian
Jess
I LIKED this. I'm not entirely sure why since in theory it contains something I don't like (someone rearranging their life plan for someone else, though it's not in the usual way that bothers me, so maybe I don't not like this particular iteration of it) but I was just super into it. I liked the wooing. I liked the foreplay. I liked the non-plot moppet. I LOVE the set up for the other two books in the trilogy.

I just really, really liked this on the day I read it. And I can't ask for more than
Katie
I don't have a ton to say! To certain extent, if you read Morgan's last trilogy, you know what to expect. (Unexpected kid! Cute dog!) But it was super enjoyable and it didn't feel like a retread. In particular, I really liked the community of the island.

I'm a little worried about Ryan's other siblings. We hear so much about his care and love for Rachel, but I guess the poor twins had to fend for themselves!

(view spoiler)
Leah
Jan 06, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If Sarah Morgan’s GoodReads page is to be believed (and why wouldn’t it be?) she’s the author of over 300 works. Which is actually impressive. Not many people can say they’ve written over 300 books and that those books have been published, too. Most of those are Mills & Boon novels, but over the past year or so she’s started a couple of Chick Lit series, the first being the O’Neil Brothers trilogy (which I haven’t read) and her latest being her Puffin Bay trilogy. I’ve heard nothing but good ...more
Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)

FIRST TIME IN FOREVER is the first book in Sarah Morgan’s new Puffin Island series. Think small town romance on the sweeter side that kind of reminds me of Jill Shalvis’ books a little bit. In this book, Emily Donovan experiences a whole life change that doesn’t seem fair to her. After her Hollywood starlet sister gets killed in an accident, her young daughter Juliet is thrust upon her, leaving Emily with no choice but to leave her own life and start another on Puffin Island where she hopes
Megan Readinginthesunshine
Sarah Morgan is one of my favourite authors and so I am always constantly looking forward to her books!

Emily Donovan has had a challenging year of firsts, including becoming a stand in mum to her niece Lizzy and moving to Puffin Island, a remote but beautiful place. The last thing she is thinking about is love…that is, until Ryan Cooper kisses her. Ryan knows Emily has a complicated past, but can he help her move forward, trust him, and help her enjoy the chemistry they have?

I love love love
Janie Evans
Feb 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"First Time in Forever" by Sarah Morgan takes us to Puffin Island, Maine and we get our first real view of Castaway Cottage. I thoroughly LOVED this story. Even though it is part of a series surrounding three friends you can understand what is going on with the book either alone or as part of the series.

In this book we meet Emily Donovan. She is on the run with her niece Juliette Elizabeth, Lizzie, who is being hounded by paparazzi upon the death of Lizzie's mother. We also meet Ryan Cooper who
Grace
This was really enjoyable! I am maybe even more into the set up for the next two books, but this was a solid four star read and I really enjoyed the island and how Lizzy worked in the story.

My one complaint is that every so often the dialogue felt British. I don't know many people in the U.S. who say things like "mustn't" in casual conversation. (I realize the author lives near London but the book is set in Maine sooooo...)
Saly
Decent contemp, where the romance was a slow-burn.
Bea
Oh, I like Puffin Island: friendly, nosy, mildly quirky people, beaches, and puffins! The book could have used more puffins actually. Although the island is named after them, there aren't many as they nearly died out. :( But the people were friendly, helpful, and always willing to lend a hand. I live in a small town and my neighbors aren't nearly so helpful. (But I do have good neighbors and after all these folks were fictional.)

Ryan and Emily are similar in some respects: Both have childhoods
Mandi Schreiner
This is the first book in Sarah Morgan’s Puffin Island series and I’m not in love with it. I loved, loved, loved her last trilogy, O’Neill brothers and not to compare to that one – but I’m totally going to compare to that one. This book felt a little forced. Let me set it up before I get more into it.

Emily has been working hard in New York City until she gets a call that her estranged sister, a Hollywood actress, died in a plane crash, leaving her six-year-old daughter behind. The supposed
Simona
Dec 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
*Book provided by the publisher on NetGalley in exchange for an honest review*

I loved the beginning of this book, it had something touching, gripping and emotional and it took me in immediately.
It’s a wonderful way to get to know Emily and the whole situation she is in. I could relate to her from the start and I just wanted to be there for her.
Emily goes to Puffin Island with her niece Lizzy for a fresh start. This whole situation is totally new for Emily, caring for a child and going to a place
Jonel
Jan 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This emotionally intense novel was a joy to behold. Morgan looks at life in such a manner that she puts everything in perspective, allowing readers to not only understand her story, but to gain a deeper understanding of themselves in the process. Light-hearted moments follow heartbreaking ones in a full-fledged manner that really draws you into the story. I laughed and I cried. By the end of the story I was left with a big smile on my face and a sense of peace. Morgan’s picturesque descriptions ...more
Adite
May 23, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
Sarah Morgan is one of my favourite authors. I love her fiesty heroines and the back and forth between the hero and heroine is always a treat to read. First Time in Forever is a lovely romance set on the windswept, picturesque Puffin Island. Emily's orderly life has turned upside down when her actress half-sister dies in an accident leaving behind a young daughter. Unable to refuse the responsibility, even though Emily and her sister barely spoke to each other, Emily is forced to whisk away the ...more
Helen
Feb 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh I loved this book such an awesome setting and so emotional and heart-warming MS Morgan knows how to pull you into a story with the rich and wonderful characters that will make you smile. Emily has had such a hard up bringing but made some wonderful friends at college and one of those friends Brittany owns a house on Puffin Island that was her grandmothers and they use it whenever there is a problem in their lives and Emily needs it now but when local Ryan Cooper arrives to make sure Emily is ...more
Terri Wino
Oct 04, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: year-2018
I enjoyed this book, but it didn't grip me quite as much as some of Sarah Morgan's others. I had a difficult time getting invested in both Emily and Ryan's characters, but little Lizzy had me from the beginning (even though sometimes she felt more like an adult character the way she was written, especially in some of the conversations/dialogue). Though it took me until half way through the book to start rooting for Emily and Ryan's relationship, the setting and other characters in the book kept ...more
Brandy Painter
This was a fairly typical city girl goes to small town, meets hot guy, sex happens, and suddenly they're in love story. There is just as big a market for these contemporaries as there are Regencies in the historical genre. I need a little something special to fall in love with them though, and this book didn't have it for me. Ryan seemed to do a pretty fast 180 on his commitment phobia. I felt there was a little more depth needed to do deal with the issues in this book too. Also it has one of ...more
Mackenzie
Oct 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Song for summary: Everything Has Changed by Taylor Swift

I absolutely adored this book! The characters are endearing, sexy, and vulnerable; while the plot is sweet and entertaining. After reading the From Manhattan with Love series, I became a big fan of Sarah Morgan, and I have to say this book did not disappoint. I can't wait to read the other two books in the Puffin Island series!
Leah
May 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A lovely, sweet romance with a touch of drama. The island setting was wonderful. I liked that the islanders took care of each other. I enjoyed watching the main character grow as a person and caregiver. I liked the romance, too. Not just for the main couple, but their friends too.
Lindy
Oct 28, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lindy's Thoughts:

Sarah Morgan writes the sweetest romances. I adore her O'Neil Brothers Series. When I heard that she was coming out with a new series; I was so excited! First Time in Forever lived up to my expectations of a Sarah Morgan story. We get a tender feel good romance, and a story based on friendship, family, community, and healing.

Ms. Morgan is very talented at bringing a sense of setting to her readers. First Time in Forever takes place in Castaway Cottage and the breezy, beautiful,
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• The Ladies' Man & Some Kind of Wonderful
  • The Goodbye Quilt
  • Playing for Keeps (Heartbreaker Bay, #7)
  • Sisters of Summer's End (Summer Resort #2)
  • A Summer of Firsts: Just Breathe & First Time in Forever
  • The Girl of His Dreams / Playing by the Greek's Rules
  • Evergreen Springs (Haven Point, #3)
  • The Good Luck Sister (Wildstone, #1.5)
  • Wrapped Up in You (Heartbreaker Bay, #8)
  • Riverbend Road (Haven Point, #4)
  • Why Not Tonight (Happily Inc, #3)
  • A Shadow of Guilt (Sicily's Corretti Dynasty #3)
  • Redemption Bay (Haven Point, #2)
  • Not Quite Over You (Happily Inc, #4)
  • The Ladies' Man (Positively Pregnant #2)
  • A Soldier's Return
  • Snow Angel Cove (Haven Point, #1)
  • Falling for Max (Kowalski Family, #9)
About Sarah

USA Today and Sunday Times bestselling author Sarah Morgan writes romance and contemporary women's fiction and her trademark humour and warmth have gained her fans across the globe. Sarah lives near London, England, and when she isn't reading or writing she loves being outdoors.

A WEDDING IN DECEMBER, a fun family drama set around the festive season, is out now!

Join Sarah on Facebook:

Puffin Island (3 books)
  • Some Kind of Wonderful (Puffin Island, #2)
  • Christmas Ever After (Puffin Island, #3)
“What I know intellectually doesn’t change how I feel emotionally.” She” 0 likes