Start by marking “Years & an Ocean” as Want to Read:
Years & an Ocean

Years & an Ocean

Going to a séance was supposed to be a harmless diversion in Victorian England, but for Delia Spencer, it was life altering. Since that day, she has been plagued by fainting spells, while her consciousness visits Elle Thomas more than a century in the future. In modern-day New York, Elle has kept secret the dream-like memories of Delia’s life. As the visits have become mor ...more
Published December 1st 2014

To ask other readers questions about Years & an Ocean, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Years & an Ocean

Renae Mackley
Jan 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this fresh take on characters that connect over differing time periods. The characters were rich and interesting, and I loved the historical aspect with the modern. Clean romance is a bonus. The light fantasy elements bordered on paranormal, but never got out of the realm of plausibility. Good writing and a story I can recommend.
Kate
Dec 07, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-books-i-own
Yay, I feel so cool being the first person to review this book! I just have to say that I really enjoyed Years & an Ocean. It had such an interesting premise and was not one of those predictable books that you know where the story is headed almost from the start. I really had no idea how everything was going to be resolved until it was...which is a very good thing. :) I enjoyed reading about both Delia and Elle's lives.
Delia is from London way back in 1871 and after a seance she starts havi
Stacy Carroll
Jan 14, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed the back and forth between Delia's time and Elle, in modern day. These two were tied together through a torn soul, but it was fun to watch the different trials teenage girls face in very different eras. (And the same) This book was not at all predictable, which I love! Just when I thought I had the ending figured out, Jo Noelle took me for a ride. Honestly, for me, the ending was the best part of this book. I didn't see it coming, and it was very bitter sweet.
Carol
Feb 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I REALIZE THIS BOOK WAS INTENDED FOR YOUNG ADULTS (WHICH I'M NOT), BUT I FOUND THE STORY LINE TO BE GREAT. THEY JUMPED FROM PRESENT TO PAST EFFORTLESSLY. THEY MADE ME CARE ABOUT THE CHARACTHERS. THIS IS A BOOK FOR ALL AGES. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND YOU READ IT.
Donna Weaver
Dec 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This story has me all over the map. It starts with a heart wrenching scene in modern day. Then it zips you to a seance 100 years earlier. The two girls become intertwined as they bounce back into the minds of each other. Delia, the girl in England, has a terrible existence. She's proof positive of the advancement of modern women. My heart broke for her and made me want to be a feminazi just in protest of how she was treated. Her storyline was hard for me to read because of that. I won't say how ...more
Ronda Hinrichsen
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Not only is the story intriguing, but the writing is beautiful. Loved it!
Tracy
Jan 30, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book!! I am not good at writing reviews=so let me just say I loved the characters (even the bad ones, because they were so good in their role). I loved the story concept. I loved the twists, the heart ache, the joy--all the emotions I felt. My friend is one of the authors, and I told her how mad I was at her in one part--but really it was the story--there was no other way. It is one of those books that when you finish you feel satisfied.
Olivia-Savannah  Roach
Apr 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
This review can originally found on Olivia's Catastrophe: http://olivia-savannah.blogspot.nl/20...

There are a lot of things to say about this book, and I don’t know where to start! I think I would begin by saying that this book doesn’t focus as much on the séance and the traveling between times much. It’s more about what both of these people are going through.

The cast of characters was lovely. I loved Janey, Lucy and Cami who were basically the support crew and best friends in both time set stor
Glory
Dec 10, 2015 rated it it was ok
История одной души и двух девушек.
Эль живет в современном Нью-Йорке, мучается подростковыми проблемами, собирается расстаться с любимым, потому что ему уезжать в колледж, а ей еще год учиться, да и вообще - "жизнь не задалась".
Деллии повезло родиться в Викторианской Англии, и ее проблемы посерьезнее. Во-первых, некая болезнь, а во-вторых, отец собирается выдать Делию замуж за любого, кого сочтет подходящим, пока весть о болезни не разлетелась.

Эль снится Англия 19 века, Делия во время спиритическ
Jo Noelle
Dec 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Through a freak accident of the universe at a seance, Delia and Elle share a soul and each other's memories though they live on different continents and in different time periods--Victorian England and Modern-day New York. What they know about each other affects the choice they make in their lives.
YA Historical Time-Travel with a sweet romance or two :)
Intended Audience Age: 14-18 or anyone who likes YA
Canda
Dec 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
(Co-Author Review: the Jo-part of Jo Noelle) I’m a big fan of historical romance and my daughter loves contemporary. This book brings the best of both together, and we love the result. What would a woman from 1871 think of women today? That’s how this idea started for me. I love both the heroines and am pleased with how their stories wove together. But both of them had something in common too—they both had to figure out what they wanted their life to be and choose accordingly.
Maggie
Apr 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya, historical, romance
After reading the description of Years and an Ocean, I was eager to read this book. I absolutely love historical fiction, and the supernatural aspect tying it to modern times made this book irresistible to me. I started this book while in a waiting room and was quickly immersed in the story. I loved this book! If the authors wrote similar stories over and over again, I’d read them all – that’s how awesome this story was.

I must admit, I enjoyed the times we spent with Delia in 19th century London
Diana
Years & an Ocean by Jo Noelle, I wasn't sure what to expect. I love historical fiction and this book was captivating through out the whole story.
Two stories that intertwined because of a freak accident at a seance in 1871 and some how Delia from Victorian England knew what was going on in the USA more than a century later.
I loved both stories and how they intertwined together. I loved how the authors wrote in detail about Delia's life in Victorian times, I felt I could see the majestic bal
Vivien
Mar 14, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: reviewed, first-reads, dnf
I got this copy from goodreads/the authors in exchange for an honest review.

When I read the synopsis, I expected it to be a psychological thriller with hints of horror. But, it wasn't. I was really excited for this book. I got it in the mail, it was really shiny and pretty. It even smelled like the original ChapStick smell.
description
I read the first page... WTF am I reading? The concept of a soul going back and forth from one life to another is very interesting. But, the transition was really poor in this
Teresa
Apr 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
I was given a copy of this book for my honest review.

This was a very interesting story. It took you through the gambit of emotions, at times almost gut wrenching, sad, happy ect ect. I really liked how it was not hard to follow or keep track of the different but yet the same story.
In the story you meet Ella in present day New York. Then you meet Delia in 1870 England. These are the 2 main characters of the book and let me just say they are very well written characters.
Delia participates in a se
vvb
Rating: 3.5

This story switches back and forth between the past plight of a Victorian girl and present day high school teen in regards to love and romance.

Both perspectives of the same person (in past and present) were engaging to read. The oppressiveness of the Victorian era comes out well. While I usually like to read of the fashion and etiquette of the times, it and was portrayed as very un-glamourous.

On the flip-side, the modern day was true and in keeping with today's teens and troubles.

I li
Anissa Marie
Nov 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Transmigration o of two souls

Quick read ! The time difference and characters all tied in perfect !loved this book ! I need four more words...lol
Jessica
This book was provided to me through a Goodreads giveaway. Thank you to Jo and Noelle, the publisher, and Goodreads for giving me the opportunity to read it. This is my honest review. No compensation was given.

I am a huge fan of time travel stories, so this is right up my alley. It’s a new take on time travel that I have never seen before. One sole existing in two bodies in two different centuries is an interesting idea that I think the authors (Jo Noel is a mother-daughter writing team) explor
Stephanie
In Victorian England, seventeen year old Delia Spencer attends a séance with her friends. At the séance, something strange happens and her soul is split in two. Delia is now connected to her future spirit in present day New York City where she is Elle Thomas. Delia and Elle can now see and feel into each other’s lives. However, when one falls into the other’s life, fainting, dizzy spells and seizure like moments occur. This creates issues for Delia’s callous parents who are trying to marry her o ...more
Emily
Apr 21, 2015 rated it liked it
When Delia attends a seance, things don't go exactly as planned. Instead of a night of good-spirited fun, she ends up with a soul that is ripped in two. Now, Delia is living both her life in Victorian England, and able to experience the life of Ella, the girl who is now tied to her soul, in modern-day New York. Delia and Ella are living different lives, but they are forever linked. In Delia's world, she is done with Finishing school and waiting to be married off to someone her father feels is ap ...more
Marissa Nicole
Apr 04, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: average
On Goodreads, I signed up to receive this book for free in return for a honest review. Now that I have finished the book, I am both pleased and supported with it.

Although I did like the concept of the story, the way it was written felt jumbled and rushed. Besides the protagonists of both settings, the other characters lacked personality. The point of view change was a bit sloppy, but not enough to damage the plot. The climax appeared way too late in the story causing everything to feel fixed and
Bethany Swafford
Sep 21, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: kindle
I didn't realize this had a paranormal aspect to it when I began reading, but I continued on, curious to understand WHY Delia's mind goes to the future. The biggest problem I had with the book makes very little distinction between Delia's perspective to Elle's, so it was confusing who was speaking sometimes. The dialogue, for the most part, seemed stilted and, for Delia's scenes, not true to the time period.

I was provided with a free copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for an hones
Phyllis
May 30, 2015 rated it it was ok
I was unable to finish this book. I did not enjoy the characters and found it to be hard to get into. I put it down when the reason for Elle's fainting spells/split consciousness was revealed because that was the last straw for me.
Christy
Rachel
Nov 16, 2015

• Our Lady of the Islands
  • Adeline: A Novel of Virginia Woolf
  • Possess (Mary Hades #2)
  • Longbow Girl
  • Warrior Women
  • Miss Carter's War
  • Nine Rabbits
  • Mr and Mrs Disraeli: A Strange Romance
  • Rising Sun, Falling Star
  • Love's Sweet Beginning (Sisters at Heart, #3)
  • The Women's War (Women's War, #1)
  • A Little Knowledge (The Split Worlds, #4)
  • Lords of Rainbow
  • Untouchable
  • An Apprentice to Elves (Iskryne World, #3)
  • The Red Queen Dies (Detective Hannah McCabe, #1)
  • D-Day Girls: The Spies Who Armed the Resistance, Sabotaged the Nazis, and Helped Win World War II
  • Sweet & Sassy Anthology: Castle Collection
Jo Noelle grew up in Colorado and Utah but also spent time in Idaho and California. She has two adult children and three small kids. She teaches teachers and students about reading and writing, grows freakishly large tomatoes, enjoys cooking especially for desserts, builds furniture, sews beautiful dresses, and likes to go hiking in the nearby mountains.

Oh, and by the way, she's two people--Canda