Start by marking “A Plain-Dealing Villain (Daniel Faust, #4)” as Want to Read:
A Plain-Dealing Villain (Daniel Faust, #4)

A Plain-Dealing Villain

(Daniel Faust #4)

It's hard to make a dishonest buck in Sin City, especially when a rogue FBI agent is gunning for your head. Flat broke and one step ahead of the law, Daniel Faust flees Vegas and lands in Chicago, where a risky heist promises to fill his pockets with cash.

There are the risks you can account for, and then there are the risks you never see coming, the ones that leave you
Published January 20th 2015 by Demimonde Books

To ask other readers questions about A Plain-Dealing Villain, please sign up.
Kerry It's part of a series, so not quite a sequel.

Start your review of A Plain-Dealing Villain (Daniel Faust, #4)
✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
Daniel Faust and Cait are Mine Mine Mine Buddy Reread with my MacHalo Wives and Daughters and Stuff (DFaCaMMMBRwmMWaSaS™) ☢

And the moral of this reread is : Danny Boy, you're super hotly amoral and deliciously cunning and stuff, but I think I may be more in 💕 lurve 💕 with your most scrumptious girlfriend than I am with you. Oh, don't you worry your little yummy self, for you are still a member of my Dynamic Trio of the Slightly Fished Up Moral Compass (DTofSFUMC™), and therefore one of the
carol.
Feb 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of UF, heists
Sometimes after swim team, my lane mates and I go to a local pub and have a drink. Since we just spent an hour and a half swimming, it means salty snacks to go with the drink. Then we usually order All the Appetizers, which once included chili-oil beer battered fries, homemade chips with chunks of bacon, onion and blue cheese on top, Wisconsin deep-fried cheese curds and a giant soft baked pretzel with three kinds of mustard. Oh, an another drink, to wash down the salt. And by the time I'm back ...more
Sh3lly
The Long Way Down: ★★★★★
Redemption Song: ★★★★
The Living End: ★★★★

Buddy read with the MacHalo group.

This series just gets better and better. Craig Schaefer is one of my favorite authors and more people should read his books! I think all of them are on Kindle Unlimited, so no excuse! Ha. ;)

This one has Daniel Faust going to Chicago for a heist. There, he meets the Chicago mob, an evil necromancer (I'm thinking there is no such thing as a necromancer that is NOT evil, unless she goes by Mama and is
Choko
Apr 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
*** 4.65 ***

"...Just think of it like this: youve got two options, and you have to pick one. I held out my hands, palms upward, juggling them up and down like the arms of a scale. Free money? Bullet in the head? Free money? Bullet in the head? Now, Im no professional merchant such as yourself, but if it was up to me? Id take the free money...."

Yes, this volume was that good!!! My fellow readers, the way Craig Shaeger writes Urban Fantasy is the way I like it written for me - just enough
Lo9man88
Feb 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
OK let's get to it :

First of all this series is improving by the book , I'm liking Dan more and more , the story is getting better,bigger and complicated , no doubt about it: Faust is a devious "mofo" if you give him an inch just a little breather you're gonna be f****ed...

The magic system is still OK, still ritualistic by its nature: the sorcerers need time ,ingredients and focus in order to do serious damage, not much in term of raw energy manipulation..

What's getting a little on my nerves is

Mr. Matt
Feb 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The king is dead. Long live the new king.

Its impossible to read Urban Fantasy with a male lead without making comparisons to Jim Butchers Harry Dresden. After finishing Craig Schaefer's latest book Im going to lay it out there. Schaefer is the man. Daniel Faust has it in spades over Harry Dresden.

Them is some pretty strong words, so let me explain.

First, there is the complexity of the story. Nothing happens by accident. There are threads that are introduced early in the story that seem somewhat
Milda Page Runner
4.5*

It was really good to come back to Daniel Faust after the break. I forgot how good Craig Schaefer's writing is. Had a great time with this!
And finally there are some questions, razor sharp questions asked about one character that isn't quite believable to me. Can't wait to find out where it leads to.

On to the next!
Montzalee Wittmann
Mar 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
A Plain-Dealing Villain
Daniel Faust Volume 4
By: Craig Schaefer
Narrated by: Adam Verner
This has demon action, magic gone bad, worse deals, evil sorcery, and plenty of action! Danger and suspense is constant in this book! Very intense!
Narration perfection!
Gavin
Mar 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: paranormal
The Daniel Faust series has fast become my favourite UF series of the lot. This fourth book was just as much fun as the previous three instalments of the series. I love the mix of humor and dark happenings.

With Harmony Black in Vegas and breathing down Daniel's neck it is proving impossible for him to pull any of his usual cons and tricks. As a result he jumps at the chance to take an out of town hesit. The job sounds simple, steal a knife from a collector. Of course, the theft proves far more
Alissa
Sep 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-ebooks
3.5 stars rounded down, because, cliffhanger! But Im going to read the next book the moment I finish writing this review: Daniel Faust and his world are just that engaging. The protagonist is a bit too smart for his own good, as the ending demonstrates BUT hes a joy to follow and after the great finale of the first trilogy I was eager for more adventures and development. Again, I wasnt disappointed while I followed Daniel and his motley family planning an elaborate heist and fighting obnoxious ...more
Steve
Sep 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Another fast-moving heist caper in the life of Daniel Faust.

In this one, he's in Chicago to pick up a "item" for a contact in Texas. Of course, nothing ever goes as planned for Faust, and all of a sudden he's neck-deep in trouble, and this time he's deep in the heart of enemy territory.

This book continues the similarities with a Danny Ocean (Ocean's 11) heist, except this time it's a heist in plain sight, it's funny, it's exciting, and it's wonderfully fun to read!

One thing I really enjoy with
Bart
Aug 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017-read
***Actual rating: 3,75***

Still really good, but not as epic as the second and third book. Clearly meant to set the stage for the next books.
Maraya21 (The Reading Dragon)
🔥 Getting me some Danny boy. Mmhhh. Delicious. Definitely not sharing with my fellow MacHalos. Not even a little. 🔥

Awesomesauce! Can't wait for #5!
Lukasz
Jan 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Daniel Faust, you have a penchant for dangerous living.

Theres always more trouble to go around, isnt there? The Enclave Job storyline wrapped up in The Living End. New danger appears as we stand on the threshold of the Battle of Las Vegas.

Short on cash and with Agent Harmony Black at his heels, Daniel Faust accepts a heist job in Chicago. The job seems simple and the money is good. What could go wrong? Well, everything. And that's just for starters.

The paranormal crowd in Chicago is as
Kira
Dec 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
That was one hell of a cliffhanger! I was going to read something else, but I'll be reading the next book in the series instead. Best book in the series so far. I love Daniel Faust! He's so ordinary but not. Just like the average person he's got money troubles and has a lot of people in his life he can't completely trust. His ability to get himself out of bad situations is why I like him so much.

Once again in his effort to be independent financially he gets into a sticky situation. I admire him
Ubiquitousbastard
My complaints about this book are the same as my complaints about the previous three books: that characters are kind of bleh, the romance is off-putting, and the demons act like teenagers. I mean, of course teenagers are evil, but they are also extremely stupid and unaware of how things work in the real world. I think that centuries old demons would have a slight grasp on the workings of people and society. Unless they're extremely inept, which this series also portrays them to be. Oh, and the ...more
Mihir
Dec 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Full review over at Fantasy Book Critic

CLASSIFICATION: Featuring a cast of anti-heroes and with a magician con-man as the protagonist, the Daniel Faust series is Richard Stark's Parker crossed with The Dresden Files and set in Las Vegas.

OVERVIEW/ANALYSIS: This book is the start of a new arc in the Daniel Faust series as evidenced in the prologue of this book. I believe an informal title could be the "Cheshire Smile trilogy" but I have a feeling that this arc might last more than three books.
Steffan
Apr 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
4/5 stars
Eric
Jan 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
4 Stars

A Plain Dealing Villain starts off a brand new story arc for Daniel Faust and his gang. Lauren Carmichael is dead, her world-ending ambitions ended. Now Daniel is left to deal with the aftermath, like FBI Agent Harmony Black still keen on arresting him, his old gangster boss causing problems, and a slight cash deficiency, compounded by a debt to a biker he really doesnt want to cross.

All this together means he needs money, fast, and when a job outside of Vegas comes his way he jumps on
Fiona
Jan 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Were it not for Frederika's introduction, I think I would have liked this less - it's a shorter entry in the series, and though Faust works with his team it almost felt rushed? However! It left matters in a delightfully suspended state - on to the next.
Justin
"You cant take a life without burning out a little of the light in your heart. And youve only got so much light.

4.0/5.0 'A Plain Dealing Villain' sees our normal protagonist in a new town surround by new and different people in a whole different court. The story and characters were again well told and totally enjoyable. For the first time in the series (that I can recollect) the heist theme fit more snugly with the plot and leaned into more safe territory. There was a little less conflict at
Maggie
Apr 21, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindleunlimited
Cliffhanger - more like half a dozen cliff hangers. Not something I have a tolerance for.
Chris Torretta
Dec 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I started this and then had to put it aside. Not by choice! Once I got back into it, it maybe took a day to finish. Could. Not. Put. Down.!

Harmony Black... I'm pissed at you! There's a new book coming out just about her and my husband has been talking about boycotting it. She's just... just... so... Harmony. Ugh. I'm so tired of her crap! And then I read the synopsis! Hmmm, interesting.

Full review coming soon!

Edit for full review:
I started this and then had to put it aside. Not by choice! Once
Jason
Jul 04, 2017 rated it liked it
3 Stars

A Plain-Dealing Villain by Craig Schaefer is a good fourth book in the Daniel Faust series but a bit of a let down when compared to the previous three. Many people draw comparisons of this book to that of Jim Butcher's Dresden Files, but this one leans more to the 'R' Rated side than does the really 'PG' Dresden Files. I confess that the whole urban fantasy series has become my guilty pleasure reads. My love for the genre elevates everything I read. I only know that right now, I cannot
TheManOfLetters
Jul 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
And he scores another hit. After the previous book satisfyingly concluded the first major story arc in the Daniel Faust series, "A Plain-Dealing Villain" is something between a stand-alone adventure and the opening to a new main storyline. Daniel Faust gets offered a job that seems rather suspicious right from the beginning, but he needs the money and he needs to get out of town for a while, so he takes it anyway. He is completely broke and still has to pay back the debt he owes to the boss of a ...more
kartik narayanan
Jul 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Read the full review at my site https://wp.me/p89tYT-g1

He held out his hand. Give it to me, he hissed as his fingernails lengthened into claws. If you insist, I said. Then I shot him in the face.

The "Daniel Faust series, written by Craig Schaefer, is an urban fantasy starring an anti-hero. The series consists of 7 books and a novella so far. Unlike other urban fantasy series like The Dresden Files, this series is far more violent, gritty and is noir in its approach to this setting. The
Vinay Badri
Jun 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017-read
This series is really proving to be engaging, entertaining and fun. The new arc that kicks off in the 4th book attempts to change the status quo for Daniel Faust on multiple levels and it does so in supreme style

First of all, there is heist happening in Chicago forcing the change of location for Faust, followed by an unexpected complication (of course), newer Hell courts, a high stakes poker game and newer adversaries and a massive event at the end of the book for Faust. A lot of things happen
Lady
Jul 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Nothing Is What It Seems

NOT for the homophobic, transphobic, closedminded, or feint of heart!

This series must be read in order. The first book is The Long Way Down. The second book is Redemption Song. The third book is The Living End. This is the fourth book. I can't wait to read The Killing Floor Blues!

Living constantly under threat of imprisonment by Federal Agent Harmony Black would be enough to cramp anyone's style... Add to that a feud between one of his adopted family and the self
Brent Claflin
This series is rapidly taking the top spots in Urban Fantasy for me. I love the story, the way the cons come together. This on ends on a WTF kind of moment.

I love the characters the Schaefer has made in this world. And this book in particular introduces the next level plots. Which I'm very much looking forward to. The demons speak as if they're actual ancient entities playing their games.

The only character I can't stand right now is Harmony Black. She reminds me of Captain America if he was a
Margaux
And now it gets really good...

This is so far my favorite of the series, and it's not just because Daniel makes a trip to my fair city (although, that was probably a big part of it...Schaefer did Chicago really well!). But the plot in this one was deliciously exciting, my favorite characters were all there, there's a new big-bad in town, and some questions were raised that I myself have been asking about the lovely but deadly Cait...(view spoiler)
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Fire Season (Eric Carter #4)
  • Blood Tally (Valkyrie Collections, #2)
  • Fallen (Alex Verus, #10)
  • Marked (Alex Verus, #9)
  • Hungry Ghosts (Eric Carter, #3)
  • Death Unleashed
  • Broken Souls (Eric Carter, #2)
  • Devil's Cry (Shade of Devil Book 2)
  • Hurricane (The Phantom Queen Diaries #9)
  • Sorcery Reborn (The Rebellion Chronicles #1)
  • Druid Apprentice: A New Adult Urban Fantasy Novel (The Colin McCool Paranormal Suspense Series Book 9)
  • Hollywood Dead (Sandman Slim #10)
  • Devil's Dream (Shade of Devil #1)
  • Dead Things (Eric Carter #1)
  • Bound (Alex Verus, #8)
  • Devil’s Blood (Shade of Devil Book 3)
  • Generation V (Generation V, #1)
  • Fate Lashed (Ethereal Earth #2)
Craig Schaefer's books have taken readers to the seamy edge of a criminal underworld drenched in shadow (the Daniel Faust series), to a world torn by war, poison and witchcraft (the Revanche Cycle), and across a modern America mired in occult mysteries and a conspiracy of lies (the Harmony Black series).

Despite this, people say he's strangely normal. Suspiciously normal, in fact. His home on the

Daniel Faust (9 books)
  • The Long Way Down (Daniel Faust, #1)
  • Redemption Song (Daniel Faust, #2)
  • The Living End (Daniel Faust, #3)
  • The Killing Floor Blues (Daniel Faust, #5)
  • The Castle Doctrine (Daniel Faust, #6)
  • Double or Nothing (Daniel Faust, #7)
  • The Neon Boneyard (Daniel Faust, #8)
  • The Locust Job (Daniel Faust, #9)

News & Interviews

“The original games were gladiatorial fights to the death. We had to revise that after a few years because, well, people stopped signing up.” 6 likes
“It’s never good to owe money to a guy with a cellar full of military hardware. Especially not when he rides with an outlaw biker gang.” 3 likes