Start by marking “Oscar's Book (Sesame Street)” as Want to Read:
Oscar's Book (Sesame Street)

Oscar's Book (Sesame Street)

4.06  ·  Rating details ·  119 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
Oscar the Grouch informs the reader, "This is my book, and I don't want you to read it."

Bothered by the reader's attention, he decides to move out of his trash can, and let somebody else move in. He puts on a blonde curly wig, and pretends to be "Melody", a new little girl who lives on Sesame Street. But when Big Bird sees "Melody", he invites everyone to meet their new ne
Hardcover
Published 1978 by Western Publishing Co. (first published 1975)

To ask other readers questions about Oscar's Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Oscar's Book

David Sarkies
Nov 18, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
Glamorising the garbage can
18 November 2013

Why is it that when I typed in 'Oscar's Book' into the Goodread's search engine it came up with The Brothers Karamazov. I can understand it coming up with the Picture of Dorian Gray because that was written by Oscar Wilde, and I can understand how a computer can mistake a little green man who lives in a garbage can and bitches and moans all day with Oscar Wilde, but what has Oscar the Grouch got to do with Crime and Punishment (unless Dostoyevsky has s
Gabriel Wallis
Jul 06, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
My nephew Beau gave me this book for my birthday on October 3, 1983, when I turned three years old. To be honest, I wasn't too impressed with this book. My kids were, though. They loved Oscar's grouchiness. I must have portrayed it fairly well, for they were totally wrapped up in the "story". And was it a story? No, not at all. It was more of a monologue directed at the reader. Oscar just seemed angry that you were bothering him. So, if the kids were entertained, then I'm satisfied. And that's w ...more
Jessica
Dec 05, 2013 rated it it was ok
I really wanted to like this book, thinking that it would resemble The Monster at the End of this Book, but I honestly wasn't impressed. I don't think that I'd ever read it again!
Eric
Aug 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: classics, childrens
One of the classic Little Golden Books that Sesame Street put out but doesn't keep in print. I loved this book as a boy, and my girls love it today (so much so that I had to find another copy because mine was destroyed).

Oscar undergoes a radical transformation in this book, before ultimately discovering what makes him really happy.

Tara Calaby
Sep 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Oscar the Grouch and I have a lot in common, personality-wise, so of course I was going to enjoy this as a grumpy young me. It was one of my favourite Golden Books, so I'm surprised I don't still have it.
Angie  Moore
Jul 15, 2015 rated it liked it
So excited! Found my old favorite on my nephew's shelf (yes, one of the many books my sister 'stole' from me ;) ) it's obviously not a literary great but was worth the read for the memories of my childhood ;)
Vicki Edwards
Dec 30, 2014 rated it liked it
As its a holiday I'm indulging my partners whimsical recollections of childhood by reading his favourite book of the time. The final page I find definitely explains where my grouch took his inspiration from :)
Pam
Jun 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Great book, the artwork is really wonderful, and Oscar's attitude really makes him who he is.
Lara
Jul 12, 2009 rated it really liked it
the fear and extreme tension that arose in me towards the end of this...classic thriller of our time...
Minervinij
Aug 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Found a new Fav!!!:) Ha!
C.A. Craven
Jul 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
Oscar has always been my favorite Sesame Street muppet, even when I was a kid, so I was thrilled to find this in a used book sale!
Jenn
Jul 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
A childhood favourite resurrected to read to my nephews.
Diane
Jan 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite books as a kid, I'm so happy I kept it in great shape because I've passed it down to Katie.
Shelley Spencer
Feb 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Wonderfully grouchy humor from Oscar. My sons loved this story!
Eric Black
Dec 08, 2013
Jasmine Hamilton
Jul 01, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Jeff Moss was a head writer and composer-lyricist on Sesame Street. Some of his best-known songs from the show include "Rubber Duckie," "I Love Trash," "The People in Your Neighborhood," "I Don't Want to Live on the Moon," and "Nasty Dan." In addition to songwriting, Moss helped create Cookie Monster, Oscar the Grouch, and Guy Smiley.

Moss won 15 Emmys for his work and wrote the songs for four Gram