Start by marking “I'm Taking a Trip on My Train” as Want to Read:
I'm Taking a Trip on My Train

I'm Taking a Trip on My Train

In cumulative verses using rebuses, a young boy describes his experiences as engineer on the train in his room.
Unknown Binding, 30 pages
Published January 1st 1999 by Scholastic Inc.

To ask other readers questions about I'm Taking a Trip on My Train, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I'm Taking a Trip on My Train

Asho
My son liked the train pictures in this one and enjoyed pointing to the pictures within the text. I'm sure an older kid would enjoy it even more. The repetition is fun for kids but as a parent it gets old pretty quickly. Also, it was challenging for me to read because I had to remember what the heck each picture was supposed to be, which is fine for things like "cap" but more difficult when it came time to name the various train cars. Obviously, I need to get up to speed on my train parts.
Sarah Sammis
Feb 03, 2012 rated it it was ok
These cumulus rebus type books are a pain to read.
Jill
Aug 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really like books that give kids picture cues to help read the book. My only concern with this one is if the kids will be able to see them well enough in a group setting.
Jan 30, 2019 rated it liked it
This cumulative story adds a picture to replace a word on each page. As a grownup reader, it's hard to remember all the train vocabulary from being introduced to the picture just one time (gondola, tanker, & trestle anyone?). The pictures themselves are too small for a group to really see and appreciate. The book is fun and I would recommend it to kids who enjoy trains to read one-on-one with an adult or on their own, but not for a group read aloud.
John
Dec 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I like this book because it has trains and I like trains so it's good Papa picked this book out. And I like the rhyming and it says everything that it said before. There's a whole list (list list list!) on every page.
Kimberly
Jun 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book talks about a boy who is taking a trip on his train it explains each thing he needs and does to do so. It also uses alot of repetition and it also teaches kids that a picture can replace words so instead of saying hat there is a picture of a hat in the sentence
Luke
Dec 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Luke loved this book.
Tanya
Mar 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
One of my all-time favorite children's books! It is a bit like "This is the House that Jack Built" in its meter. Young children have fun filling in the word for the pictures, and parents will love the ending!
Sidney Chumbler
I love the books by Neitzel because the story is so well thought out and there are pictures in some of the harder words so beginning readers can still enjoy. This has pictures over different parts of the trains which is genius. The illustrations are so wonderful and even as an adult I enjoy reading these books and I am sure that children feel the same. I hope to have all or almost all of the Neitzel books in my classroom.
Emily
Sep 21, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-with-lp
Although somewhat repetitive (which is annoying for grownups but great for kids), this is a super book. Each page introduces a new image to learn that is incorporated into the story. On subsequent pages they use the image instead of the actual word so that kids can read the story too. LP LOVED telling me each word when I pointed to the images...
Ky
This is a boy's imagination coming to life before his mom comes in. This book allows you to let the children participate while you are reading. There are pictures in the sentences for the kids to name. When the mother comes in the text turns into a conversation that rhymes.
Tricia
story adds on each page a new picture/word. ends strangely...if reading aloud would probably end when the train whistle page is completed. both viv and em loved it.
Jen
Sep 18, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: pb
This books also doesn't end abruptly, and the last thing the mom says is funny. Some of the words are very hard. I didn't know what a Gondola was (related to Trains).
Yuri
Jun 04, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: read-by-papa
"This book is boring." - Yuri, age 4 years, 4 months
Dree
Nov 05, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s
My older son loved this. It's exhausting to read, but made him giggle. Cute cats to boot.
Rachel
Lily Tice
Dec 04, 2016
Kazu Fujisawa
Sep 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
I'm taking a trip on my train. When I wear my striped hat, I'm the engineer, and I'm taking a trip on my train.... Keeps adding another element every page and story keeps going. He keeps adding track in his house, and trip continues, but his mother request him to pick up the track before going to bed.
This book is so much fun seeing author using picture in the sentence, like picture of hat representing word "hat", or same things for train, bridge, tunnel, etc. Until his mother walks in, aud
Holly Boothe