Start by marking “This Is Where It Ends” as Want to Read:
This Is Where It Ends

This Is Where It Ends

3.65  ·  Rating details ·  37,711 Ratings  ·  6,434 Reviews
10:00 a.m. The principal of Opportunity High School finishes her speech, welcoming the entire student body to a new semester and encouraging them to excel and achieve.

10:02 a.m. The students get up to leave the auditorium for their next class.

10:03 a.m. The auditorium doors won't open.

10:05 a.m. Someone starts shooting.

Told from four different perspectives over the span of
Published January 5th 2016 by Sourcebooks Fire

To ask other readers questions about This Is Where It Ends, please sign up.
Alexis There's a romantic plot between two girls, another romantic plot between a boy and a girl, and then another romantic plot between two other…moreThere's a romantic plot between two girls, another romantic plot between a boy and a girl, and then another romantic plot between two other characters. There was too much romance in this novel considering the subject matter.(less)
YA Novels of 2016
1,231 books — 9,550 voters
Rebel of the Sands by Alwyn HamiltonBlackhearts by Nicole CastromanThe Girl from Everywhere by Heidi HeiligEver the Hunted by Erin SummerillIvory and Bone by Julie Eshbaugh
YA Debuts 2016
261 books — 1,436 voters

More lists with this book...

Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies

This book is a travesty. This book is, quite frankly, an insult to all the victims, direct and indirect, of school shootings. School shootings are a fairly new epidemic, one of the most well-known being Columbine. It is also a morbidly intriguing one; the psychology of the people that committed said acts are deeply complex, and not to be taken lightly in exploration.

And yet that's what this foolish, belittling, dare I say, stupid little book does. It boils down the intricate psychology behind sa
Emily May
Jul 10, 2015 rated it did not like it
We're not just fighting for survival - we're fighting for hope and a thousand tomorrows.

I am so disappointed. So so disappointed. This Is Where It Ends promises a look at a frightening and very real problem in the U.S. - school shootings - written by a We Need Diverse Books member. It should have been amazing. It could have been amazing if it wasn't dampened by cheap, sensational writing and a black and white sense of victims and villains.

School shootings are horrific things that open up so ma
Jesse (JesseTheReader)
Hm... I'm going to need to think this one over before I share my thoughts.
Regan
Feb 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
3.5
Rose
Initial reaction: I think my reaction to this book can be best summed up in something that I said in the context of the discussion I had with a few of my readerly friends:

"I think this might be a classic case of an author who tries to write a story that's bigger than their ability to tell and trying to incorporate too much without any rhyme or reason to it."

But I will say this very clearly:

This is NOT a fair portrait of a tragedy befalling its cast.

This is NOT a good psychological portrayal of t
Hailey (HaileyinBookland)
Oct 14, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: owned
The Short
Actual rating: 2.5*
Trigger warning: mass shooting, specifically in a school setting, (view spoiler)

For fans of: The Female of the Species by Mindy McGinnis, Exit, Pursued by Bear by E.K. Johnston, Tease by Amanda Maciel (comps for this are admittedly hard to find as not many books tackle such an intense subject matter, so I included books that also tackle important issues.

Writing: 2.5 stars
Characters: 2 stars
P
Emma Giordano
Apr 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
This is a really hard one to review because on one hand, I think it is a fantastically written book that deserves all the praise, but on the other, it wasn't really for me and I did not enjoy it as much as I thought I would. So I'm settling in the middle with a good 4 star rating (5 for overall great writing, 3 for my personal reading experience) and hopefully I won't fail at explaining why I appreciate the genius of this book, but why it also wasn't that enjoyable for me.

Unfortunately, I believ
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

Here’s another book I read nearly a month ago and never reviewed. This time it wasn’t because I’m lazy even though I am, it’s because I feel bad giving this one a negative review. But a negative review is what I must give when I read a book about a “Columbine” type school shooting and . . . .

Houston commercial photography

This Is Where It Ends was easily my most anticipated YA contained in the BuzzBooks sneak preview. I requested it immediately and was thrilled to
Marieke
Jan 16, 2015 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: i-wrote-this
TIWIE has a lot of things I'm very excited about, like queer girl main characters. And PoC main characters. And tragedy. And courage. And hope. And at least one wholly unintended Les Misérables reference.

I'll share more information when I can, but feel free to ask me any questions. And thank you for sharing my excitement! <3
Whitney Atkinson

This book is simply unforgetable. It's the first book I've read about a school shooting, and it was just as horrifying and jarring as you would expect. I'm very glad i'm not in high school anymore, because for the rest of my life I'm going to be a little bit startled walking into an auditorium. Sadly, I think this book's only selling point is the subject matter, however. It was gripping and tragic, but the characters, writing, and structure didn't support that very well. I liked how div
Debra
Jun 16, 2018 rated it liked it
Although this book is a very reverent and timely one, it fell a little flat for me. This book is told from the perspectives of four of the characters (Claire, Tomas, Sylvia, Autumn) in this book, spanning a 54-minute period after shots ring out at their school.

Even though, we are shown the characters, I do not feel as if I was given enough information so that I cared for these characters, the characters all felt flat to me. Perhaps it was the way in which the story was written. While reading thi
Erin Clemence
Apr 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
HOLY. COW.
I am at a loss for words with this novel. It literally took me three hours to read, because it was so gripping and suspenseful, I did not want to stop reading it, not even once.
(Before you ask- how can you possibly read novels on school shootings? Don’t you work in a high school? People who read about murders and murderers know there is danger in the world- it is your opinion if you want to be prepared for it and understand it (as best you can) or if you want to be surprised by it an
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin

It took me awhile to decide how to rate this book. I didn't connect with all of the characters but I still enjoyed the story. Although, in this case, I'm not sure enjoy is the right word.

The story is told through several different POV. They were friends, brothers and sisters all living in Opportunity, AL going to Opportunity High School. And they all had one very, very bad day!

The story starts out with the shooter almost right off the bat. There are a few little things going on with the POV's
Mary
Jul 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I'm numb.
I can’t even begin to describe the whirlwind that is in my head and heart after finishing this book. A complete and utter silence descended upon me the second I finished it. I was numb. I was speechless. I was heartbroken. I was angry. I was relieved that I was never forced to live a tragedy like the one described in this book.

It’s the start of a new semester at Opportunity High School in Alabama, and the entire student body is assembled in the auditorium, to listen to the start-of-sem
Rachel Reads Ravenously
DNF about 1/3 of the way through.

This book is just..... shallow. Superficial. Not once did I connect to a single character. They all felt like caricatures of real people instead of relatable.

I can see what the author was trying to do with the subject and having a more diverse character base, but it just didn't work.
Sue (Hollywood News Source)
This is going to be a controversial book.

A teenager with a gun, shoots up a school filled with students.

A terrorist.

Told over the span of 54 harrowing minutes from four different perspectives, terror reigns as one student's calculated revenge turns into the ultimate game of survival.

I was initially skeptical of the premise of This Is Where It Ends, books with multiple POVs usually doesn’t work well for me. Like I always say incorporating a handful of POVs is tricky. The author is juggling t
Melanie
Disappointment after disappointment, it seems these days. An incredibly unfair, black and white portrayal of a school shooting. Had so much potential *sighs*

Full review to come.
Dana Kenedy (Dana and the Books)
So good. Many feels happening right now.
sue
This is definitely not a book for everyone.

Its a subject matter that is 'real' and will effect you emotionally due to children being shot and killed.

I knew I would have to put on my big girl panties to read this, which I did, however it still it was poignant, heartbreaking and sometimes came over as cold.

There were many POV to this story and each portrayed what they saw or experienced with many social media activities going on.
Its just that there was something that bothered me, that was the lac
Kaye
[This review is not final. Quotes removed for reposting here, but you can find them in my blog post.]

My knee-jerk, first things first thought on closing This Is Where It Ends could be summed up in three words.

"I'm not okay."

And that, I think, is okay. Because this is a book that ends on a note that you should absolutely, 100% not be okay with.

This Is Where It Ends is deeply, darkly visceral and gripping. It takes you by the throat and tugs you downward into emotional compromise and utter panic.
Jen Ryland
Dec 19, 2015 rated it liked it
I read dark-themed realistic fiction for the emotional punch it packs, and in that regard this book fell short for me. My biggest problems with the book were narrative choices that prevented me from getting to know and care about the book's characters/potential victims.

In the interest of full disclosure, I'm not generally a fan of more than two first person POVs and I struggled to keep all the characters straight. There were four different alternating first person narrators. All of these chara
Stacey
Nov 22, 2016 rated it liked it
I love, love, love this cover! Every time I see it I have to pause and look at it.

School shootings, unfortunately, have become all too familiar. A little piece of my heart breaks off each time I hear about another one. This is a good moment by moment account told by four narrators. The relationship between the shooter and his sister was especially good and suspenseful.

Thank you Marieke Nijkamp for taking on a harrowing subject. It will resonate with the YA audience.
Cora ☕ Tea Party Princess
5 Words: Not my cup of tea.

I had really been looking forward to this one. There was so much hype, I was seeing it everywhere, I'd heard good things...

But.

I knew it wasn't looking so good when I was ready to DNF by the second chapter. Up until then it was just dull and confusing. But then it picked up a little, started to get more interesting... And quickly trailed back to just dull and confusing.

I found the characters to be pretty one-dimensional. I couldn't even tell them apart, never mind conn
(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to SOURCEBOOKS Fire and NetGalley.)

“If you cooperate, some of you might go home today. All you have to do is listen carefully to what I’m saying. No screaming, no running, no phones, and certainly no attempting to disarm me. Today, you’ll all listen.”

This book was pretty shocking, mainly because this sort of thing happens in real life to real people.

I had a bit of a hard time keeping track of the chara
Jenna Major
Mar 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: EVERYONE
5/5 STARS!!!

What it is about!
This book is a take on real-life school shootings. It follows different point of views of students, an alumni, texts and even twitter while it moves through the short period it takes to have such a traumatic event. This book is gut wrenching and raw and I doubt you will finish reading it without a few tears.

My Review:
This book is a very fast-read because you just cannot put it down. You need to know what happens next and who survives. It is a light read and can lack
❤️ Book Diva ❤️
Jan 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Although I did find the book very good, I found that the ending ended very quickly. Without giving anything away, it was a book that was hard to put down and an exciting read where you wanted to know "What's going to happen next!"
Jeannette Nikolova
Jul 18, 2015 rated it it was ok
*** GIVEAWAY: You have the opportunity to win "This Is Where It Ends" if you enter the giveaway in the next 8 days! To learn more, click here. ***

Read on the WondrousBooks blog.

I'm really sad to write this review. Out of all of the books that I've ever requested on NetGalley, Everything, Everything and This Is Where It Ends were the two I was most hopeful about. I was honestly so excited to receive this book and I went through quite the disappointment reading it.

The theme of the book, although
Diane S ☔
Aug 26, 2015 rated it liked it
So many school shootings, one after another, so this book is a timely one. I cared very much about these high school kids, wanted to get an understanding and wondered how the author would portray the shooter and the motivations of said perpetrator. For the most part I thought she did this very well. Narrated by four different students, inside and outside the school, aided by twitter feeds and flashbacks, we get a varied perspective as well as each of their stories. A bit overly dramatic but who ...more
Amber Robertson
2.5 Stars

Wow. I can't even formulate how I feel about this. I'm distressed. I'm disturbed. I'm also crying. I haven't cried while reading a book in a while, but here I am. A full review for this bio is impossible to write due to the fact it would be completely spoiler filled.

This book, however, is a journey that has you in the edge of your seat and praying for all the characters involved. There are some missing elements to it, but for the most part it's an amazing book and I highly recommend it
Ecmel Soylu
Jul 02, 2015 rated it did not like it
Düşünün ki biri sizi okuldaki bütün öğrencilerle beraber okulun açılış konuşmasını dinlemek için toplandığınız konferans salonuna kitliyor ve katliam yapmaya başlıyor.
Bu biri Autumn'un erkek kardeşi Tyler. Okulu bırakmış, zor günler geçirmiş falan da filan. Autumn'un Sylvia adında bir kız arkadaşı(en yakın arkadaşı aynı zamanda), Sylvia'nın Tomas adında bir abisi ve Tomas'ın da Fareed adında bir arkadaşı var. Ana karakterler bunlar. -Konuya hiçbir katkı sağlamayan, amaçsızca takılan Claire ve C
Tyler rapes Sylv 7 136 Jun 11, 2018 05:52PM
YA Buddy Readers'...: This Is Where It Ends by: Marieke Nijkamp - Restarting May 10th 2018 70 157 May 15, 2018 08:59AM
This Is Where It Ends 1 13 Mar 19, 2018 09:54AM
  • How to Make a Wish
  • Underwater
  • Gena/Finn
  • Symptoms of Being Human
Marieke Nijkamp a storyteller, dreamer, globe-trotter, geek. She's the author of THIS IS WHERE IT ENDS and the forthcoming BEFORE I LET GO.

Her short stories can be found in: PILGRIM PLAYWRIGHT GENIE GUARD, FERAL YOUTH, and THE RADICAL ELEMENT.

***

Please note I don't respond to friend requests or messages on GR, but you're always welcome to tweet or email me. :)
More about Marieke Nijkamp

Young Adult Deals

• Beneath the Shine
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Time's Divide (The Chronos Files, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Greensleeves
  • Gilded (Gilded, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Infinity Lost (The Infinity Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Timebound (The Chronos Files, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Banished of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #1)
  • Keeping You a Secret
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fractured (Guards of the Shadowlands, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Gena/Finn
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Queen's Poisoner (Kingfountain, #1)
  • Trusting You & Other Lies
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Touch of Eternity (The Curse #1)
  • Dragon Rider
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Traitor's Kiss (The Traitor's Circle, #1)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Flush
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Dreadnought (Nemesis, #1)
  • A Totally Awkward Love Story
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Fire Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #2)
  • Go: A Coming of Age Novel
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Wishing Spell (The Land of Stories, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Better Nate Than Ever (Better Nate Than Ever #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sanctum (Guards of the Shadowlands, #1)
  • Time Bomb
  • Kissing Max Holden
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dryad-Born (Whispers from Mirrowen, #2)
  • Silvern (Gilded #2)
  • You Know Me Well
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Some Fine Day
  • Mystic (Mystic, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Almost Girl (The Riven Chronicles, #1)
  • Uprooted
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Ciphers of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Amid Stars and Darkness (The Xenith Trilogy #1)
  • Otherkin
  • The Odds of Loving Grover Cleveland
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Thief's Daughter (Kingfountain, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
“We're more than our mistakes. We're more than what people expect of us.” 110 likes
“You can't always keep your loved ones with you. You can't always settle your life in one place. The world was made to change. But as long as you cherish the memories and make new ones along on the way, no matter where you are, you'll always be at home.” 92 likes