Start by marking “Reading with Babies, Toddlers and Twos: A Guide to Choosing, Reading and Loving Books Together” as Want to Read:

3.9  ·  Rating details ·  105 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
Research shows that the number of different words a baby hears each day is the single most important predictor of later intelligence, school success and social competence. This book provides fun, interactive guidance for everyone who reads to young children, tips as to when to read and how to read to children ages zero to three. 364 pages.
Published April 1st 2006 by Sourcebooks

To ask other readers questions about Reading with Babies, Toddlers and Twos, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Reading with Babies, Toddlers and Twos

Oct 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2013
As a former elementary school teacher, I love books. Books for adults, books for teens, books for kids, and now that I have a little one, books for babies. My collection of board books isn't very robust, so I loved all of the different lists in this book, which gave me a great starting point for books and authors to check out. I plan on buying my own copy so I can highlight and dog-ear to my heart's content.

The reason it got four stars instead of five? The author's stance on television bothered
Nov 01, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone who loves reading with little ones
I absolutely love this book. The authors give tons of suggestions on how to use and enjoy books with little ones. They give all sorts of recommended lists by topic, i.e. "The Classics: 25 Picture Books for Every Child's Library" or "Five Books that Trigger, "Again! Again!", or "Simple Books About Baby's Day". I've discovered many great books from their recommendations. This is a book I pick up over and over again for new suggestions when I'm taking my little ones to the library or buying a gift ...more
Jun 08, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read this book in anticipation of a "storybook baby shower" wherein guests were invited to bring books for the soon-to-be-born babe. I found it very helpful, giving numerous book lists for various ages and subjects. Perhaps the most useful lists were for difficult emotions and life circumstances--kids books about death and dying, tantrums, potty training. There was even a chapter about kids music. In the end, I couldn't choose from all the suggested books and just bought this one as my present.
May 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best books I've read in this particular genre. Takes a very balanced approach to topics such as screen time and includes chapters on literacy beyond picture books. Although it's aimed for parents of very young children, some of their suggestions can be adapted for older children as well. Nice book lists included throughout, but they are quite US-centric, which means the books can be harder to find for international readers.
Lots of good ideas for books to read with your young children. It promotes reading while at the same time recognizes that tv, computer, etc. are a big part of today's society and can be a good thing in moderation and with parental involvement. Loved the lists and lists of books.
Jun 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Between this and Amazon's used books for $.01, we are going to have an alarmingly full nursery bookshelf!
Feb 21, 2017 rated it liked it
I read this with very little knowledge of babies at all, and found it a good introduction from a "how do I decide what to read to my friends' kids?" perspective. The charts, in particular, were exactly what I was hoping to get from this book. The themed lists based on interests were less helpful for me -- those and some of the less universally applicable recommendation lists felt a bit like filler, but all in all worth the read, even if the kids you want to read to are not your own!
Oct 03, 2017 rated it it was ok
Felt like a glorified reading list. I could see how it would be helpful for someone who doesn't like reading. Since I'm someone who does, most of the suggestions on the "how-to" felt like common sense. I did come away with plenty of suggestions on what to read, but I could have looked at a reading list and not have to read a 10 chapter book.
This was informative but not exactly what I was looking for.
May 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: educational
I borrowed this book from the library thinking that I've read too many children's books to learn a lot of new stuff. I learned not to judge a book by it's cover. There are many types of lists in here for:

picture books
funny books
potty training
Elizabeth Peterson
Jun 25, 2015 rated it liked it
This is a resource with a lot of kids books, broken down into categories and lists. The lists are great--the other "educational" parts of the book seemed redundant and boring. If you're a parent actually reading this book, you probably don't need to be told to limit screen time, or that reading books is great for your kids development. You know all of this (which is why you're reading it in the first place), so why waste your time reading chapters about how and why to read to your kids when you ...more
Jan 16, 2016 rated it it was ok
This was an okay resource. The writing was pretty basic and really nothing new. They had some basic developmental charts and emphasized rereading several favorite books over and over again. I saved titles from their recommended lists simply because I'm always looking for new books to check out from the library, but other than that it was really nothing different from every other reading resource/anthology.
May 05, 2009 rated it it was amazing
An excellent, highly readable guide full of tons of practical hints and advice. Particularly valuable for the book recommendation lists; there's one for nearly every circumstance, from new foods to toilet training to death to going to the doctor. A great roadmap to steer you through the dizzyingly bright colors of the children's book section!
Feb 28, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: youth-lib
While this book definitely had some valuable insights, I think would be more useful as a reference text with its fantastic annotated book lists on every kind of picture & board book you could want to find.
Brenda Vasquez
Mar 05, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone with children
I love this book! Very informative!
Susan Springer
Apr 14, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent guide for choosing, reading and loving books together. I
especially liked the accompanying activity suggestions in art, music,
hands-on, TV, video, etc.
Louise O'neil
Mar 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
Great guide for what to read to your baby!
Oct 07, 2014 rated it liked it
Helpful suggestions for reading to a little one. Good book recommendations. It was a very skimmable book, which is a plus.
Mar 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: parenting
Easy read, plenty of lists and suggestions for books and activities!
Aug 20, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone who gets to read to babies!
Shelves: library
I really like this book! It has lists of suggested books for all developmental levels and even by topic. It also includes lots of anecdotes from parents that make it a fun read.
Jan 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: education, parenting
A great book to share with parents and caregivers--warm, practical, and nonjudgemental.
Dec 18, 2009 rated it liked it
gave book ideas for all ages and also ideas on teaching your child to love books. Made my own list based on the numerous lists throughout the book
Nov 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Loved this. Useful information, great book lists. It's going on my Baby Shower Gift Idea List for sure.
Jessica Lahey
Aug 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Such a great resource for reading to little kids!
May 27, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: parenting
Lots of great lists of books by age/topic and some (common sense) tips on reading with babies and toddlers in each developmental phase.
Leslie Sterian
Jan 09, 2018
Aug 19, 2010
Sep 16, 2017
Jan 15, 2015
Dec 21, 2008
« previous 1 3 4 next »
I believe each of us is responsible for our own happiness.
I believe happier parents are better parents, and better people.
I believe family should be a source of joy and refuge, not another stressor in a busy life.
I believe we can be happy even when things aren’t great.
We can raise our families, live our lives, and love (almost) every minute of it — if we let go of the idea of parenting as a direct
More about K.J. Dell'Antonia...