Jump to ratings and reviews
Not all princesses get their happily ever after...
They tell me I killed my boyfriend Phillip in cold blood. I stabbed him twenty one times. I’m only seventeen years old, and I am serving life in Spindle Ridge Asylum for the Criminally Insane.
I don’t remember killing him, so it’s really hard to believe I’m capable of murder. In fact I don’t remember anything before I came to Spindle Ridge, not even my boyfriend.
I can only grasp onto my realistic dreams while the madness of the asylum threatens to pull me under. I dream I’m a beautiful princess and there is an evil faerie named Maleficent who is bent on my destruction. The dreams are the closest thing I have to memories of my life, except they aren’t real.
I’m crazy. I’m not a princess.
They’re the mad illusions of an irrational teenage girl, right?
They’ve assigned me a new doctor, and she says I can trust her, and that she’ll help me see the truth of who I really am.
When she arrived she brought a new patient, Sawyer, who is everything Spindle Ridge isn’t: exciting, mysterious and beautiful. He promises he’s here to rescue me. Trusting either of them frightens me.
Could it be possible that my dreams are more than just the imaginings of a delusional girl? Could they be truth?

Paperback

First published March 10, 2015

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Christy Sloat

24 books641 followers
Christy Sloat resides in New Jersey with her husband, two daughters and her Chihuahua, Sophie. Christy has embraced the love of reading and writing since her youth and was inspired by her grandmother's loving support. She loves adventurous journeys with her friends and can be known to get lost inside a bookstore. She is the Best Selling author of ten novels including; The Visitors Series, The Past Lives Series and Slumber.

Check out her website www.christysloatauthor.weebly.com
Blog http://christysloat.blogspot.com/, Facebook: Christy Sloat Author www.facebook.com/christysloatauthor. Twitter: ChristySloat

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
33 (13%)
1 star
13 (5%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 102 reviews
Profile Image for Ben Alderson.
Author 20 books13.1k followers
July 6, 2015
I read this last week and forgot to update it for you guys! such a great and fun read! lots of mystery woven into this retelling of sleeping beauty!
Profile Image for Anna (Enchanted by YA).
360 reviews353 followers
December 15, 2015
***I received the eBook free as a review copy from the author in exchange for an honest review***

Fairytale retellings can be just that – the story re-written with an individual writer’s flare/idea or it can throw the story on its head and give you something new that will surprise and delight, while also keeping the roots that make it a retelling. Slumber is definitely the latter, and I loved it.

Since reading the synopsis this book stood out for being unlike anything I’ve read before and it continued to stay in my mind even when I wasn’t reading it (though I very much wanted to be!) The plot just demands your attention, which combined with engaging characters could easily make this a one-sit read.

It was very easy to put myself in Rory’s shoes and experience all the confusion just as she did (even though as a reader I knew more). Tangled in something that she didn’t understand: why she would have killed her boyfriend and why her dreams of being a princess feel so real, it’s her developing strong-will that makes her determined to find the answers. Though there’s no happily ever after in sight just yet…

I can’t wait to see how it all changes in the conclusion to this duology after the epic finale that had me on the edge of my seat. One thing I know for sure is that Sloat will make sure it is filled with surprises that don’t disappoint.

description

Posted on: http://enchantedbyya.blogspot.co.uk/
Profile Image for Lynn  2 Girls & A Book.
629 reviews18 followers
February 8, 2015
That moment when you delve into a fantastic new book ,when you lose yourself in the words, when you ferociously devour the pages so quickly you are already anticipating reading it again…that is Christy Sloat’s Slumber.

This ain’t your momma’s fairytale. Slumber is Sleeping Beauty Grimm style with a Sloat twist. Never have I read a tale quite like this one.

The main character, Rory, is phenomenal. Her character grows and strengthens through the story like the birth of a butterfly. She is weak and closed off in the beginning, but in remembering her “Before” she is able to blossom. I look forward to seeing her in the next book.

If you have followed the writing career of Christy Sloat, then like me you have had the pleasure of seeing her grow into a brilliant writer. Her new YA fantasy is a testament to that. Sloat weaves us a beautiful tale of magic, fairies, and not so happily ever afters in Slumber. This book is sure to be a hit with her fans.
Profile Image for Isabel.
667 reviews114 followers
August 22, 2017
I don't get how this book has so many rave reviews... the only thing about this book that I'd give five stars would be the cover (which is what made me want to read it in the first place).
Profile Image for Cheree Castellanos Edits.
286 reviews26 followers
August 4, 2015
An amazing twist on a favorite fairy tale for the ages! It's Once Upon a Time meets Sucker Punch! I absolutely adored this book and the whole layout and setting of this story. Rory is brought to Spindle Ridge Asylum for the Criminally Insane after killing her boyfriend Phillip, though she doesn't remember anything before coming to Spindle Ridge. She doesn't remember killing her boyfriend, she doesn't even remember him! But she must have done it, her hands were covered in blood and they say she did it, so she must be guilty. As Rory spends her days wasting away and trying desperately to remember, strange dreams start to give her a beautiful escape, but they feel so real! And then she meets Sawyer, another patient at Spindle Ridge. Sawyer starts to give her hope and moments of joy she thought she would never feel again. Then things start to change and the truth starts to reveal itself.
Get lost in this delicately woven thread of lies and deceit all in the name of revenge. But love always wins in the end...right? Or is it love that destroys us?
Profile Image for Michelle Bradshaw.
Author 5 books29 followers
March 7, 2015
An author has three jobs. Her first job is to make her characters relatable. Christy Sloat did just that. I could put myself in Rory's shoes completely. I felt every emotion that went through her body as she tried to discover hidden secrets of the Asylum. Their second job is to either create a story we've never heard or put a spin on one we are familiar with. This book is a FABULOUS twist on a BELOVED fairytale. Kuddos Christy! Last but not least....a writer's job job is to make the world they create come alive. Once again Christy has blown me away with her words. I could smell, touch, hear, and even taste everything that Christy described. She has such a way with words. When you read her books you are there. You BECOME her characters. "Slumber" is without a doubt one of my new favorites to read. If you read it you won't regret it. Just to express how in awe of this book I was and am....I read it in 5 1/2 hours...I COULD NOT put it down. Christy I have been with you since Avery Snow. I have loved every book since then. Your gift has grown with every new world you've introduced us to. You have a true talent for words. I can't wait to see what you have in store for us in the future and can't wait to read the next book in this series.
Profile Image for Elaine.
3,223 reviews97 followers
March 31, 2016
What a magnificent adaptation of the classic fairy tale packed with brilliant word craft and a superb retake with plenty of surprises! Having been brainwashed into believing she’s murdered her boyfriend, the seventeen year old inmate of Spindle Ridge Asylum for the Criminally Insane finds it difficult to comprehend how this could all be lies. She can’t believe she’s really Princess Aurora Rose even when she is told this by undercover fairies working in the asylum.

This is an intriguing retelling of the tale with plenty of twists, turns and turmoil to keep an adult audience enchanted. The characters are emotively portrayed making readers figuratively ready to cheer on the good and boo the evil. I like how the heroine grows and develops as the story progresses and she discovers more of her past.

This is a fantastic fantasy and I can’t wait to discover how it concludes in the second book in this duology. I have no hesitation in highly recommending this to any adult who would love to revisit a grown up version of fairy tales again!

Thanks to the author, publishers and Bewitching Book Tours for gifting me an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.
Profile Image for Melissa.
35 reviews1 follower
March 15, 2015
When I started Slumber I wasn't really sure what to expect. I love Christy's other works, but they have all been so different from each other! I think Lynn Shaw of 2 Girls & A Book said it best with 'Slumber is Sleeping Beauty Grimm style with a Sloat twist.' I am irrevocably in love with this story. I was immediately drawn into Rory's world and even after finishing Slumber, I still haven't left yet. I've even re-read it already!

When we start Slumber, we are told that Rory is in Spindle Ridge Asylum for killing her boyfriend Phillip. Rory, however, doesn't remember this happening or anything from her past.....so what really happened? Well, with the help of Dr. Grey and Sawyer, a fellow patient, Rory starts to remember bits and pieces. And what she remembers will absolutely astound you! This is nothing like the fairytale we read as kids. The beginning of Slumber lacks a little in action, but I feel it fits well with the story and sets the rest up perfectly.

I have read all of Christy's other works and, while I love them all, I think Slumber will always be my favorite. The characters are well rounded and honestly just 'perfect-for-their-part' characters. I am definitely #CrazyForSawyer and will be talking about Slumber for forever. Christy knocked this one so far out of the park it's in a world of it's own. Hands down, the best revamp of a fairytale I've ever read! I give Slumber 5 stars and am very impatiently waiting for the next book!

*I received an ARC of Slumber in exchange for an honest review
Profile Image for AG Roberson.
12 reviews10 followers
March 3, 2015
Fairy Tale endings are few and far between when it comes to Rory and her immaterial existence at Spindle Ridge Asylum for the Criminally Insane. Lies after lies are fed to her by the power driven, Hell bent Doctor M. whose only prescription in healing Rory's broken sanity is keeping her incompetent. But rays of hope break through the shell of deceit when Sawyer, her saving grace in a dark world of mayhem and magic, helps Rory realize her true identity, the truth that she was denied, and the love that was there all along....

Are you ready to rest in a story that will embrace your inner princess? Slumber has your action, suspense, and of course, true love. Enjoy being taken back to the time when fairy tales were read and you created a world all your own by listening to the words being read. I love and missed that until I read Slumber.

Excellent job Christy! You have never failed to grab my attention and make me fall in love with the characters while wanting to throat punch the others.
September 23, 2015
Not all princesses get their happily ever after...

WOW...I am really quite speechless about this book and blown away at the same time...

What an amazing twist on an old fairy-tale. This book is nothing like the original Sleeping Beauty, this is Sleeping Beauty meets Grimm. It's fast paced and extremely addicting with its dark, twisted, and phenomenally well written words that just jump out at you and pull you in from the first page. It's an overall spectacular read and one I will read over and over again.

I love how the author pulls you in at the beginning and throws you for a slight tailspin and roller-coaster ride. Rory is a phenomenal character. She is naive yet strong willed. I love how her grows throughout the story. The plot itself is mystical and magical all at the same time, which brings forth the darkness in this story. I love how the spun this story in her own fashion and made me fall in love with the story. This is by far an incredible twist that will be known of forever. I am really excited to read the next installment in this Duology.
Profile Image for Shannon.
14 reviews9 followers
February 16, 2015
Slumber is much like Sleeping Beauty but this fairy tale is so different from your happy ever after. 17 year old Rory (the main character) is brought to Spindle Ridge Asylum for murdering her fiancé, Phillip. However, she has no memories of that night or Phillip at all. She cannot recall anything from her past before arriving at Spindle Ridge. Rory spends the days wasting away in the asylum trying to remember her past. She has dreams but not sure if they are memories or just dreams.

Then one day she meets a boy patient named Sawyer and a doctor named Gray, who gives her spirit hope. Things start to change for her. She is seeing things more clearly. She is uncovering the past and lies. She is remembering who she really is and why she is there.

Can true love win in the end? Will there be a happy ever after ?

Author Christy Sloat out did herself again. I give “Slumber” 5 stars for being the best revamp fairy tale story I have read. A must read!!!!
Profile Image for Madeline Bernards.
156 reviews3 followers
April 17, 2015
I was really quite disappointed with this book. I went into this with high expectations because the concept was interesting and it had amazing reviews and that was probably my biggest mistake. While the general storyline was interesting to read the actual story was executed poorly. I felt like the writing style was a little too basic for me and I felt the story was very rushed. The author didn't really allow for the story to really develop and just kinda started throwing stuff at you which made the plot twists less interesting and dramatic. Plus, the ending wasn't very climatic, leaving you just kinda wanting something more interesting to happen. Even more, the rushed writing didn't allow me to really enjoy the relationship between Sawyer and Rory, it was just kinda there. I felt like if done better this could have been an amazing book, which is what upsets me the most.
Profile Image for Laura  Hernandez.
784 reviews82 followers
December 1, 2015
I received an eARC in exchange for an honest review via YA Bound Book Tours. I made no guarantee of a favorable review and the opinions expressed here are my own.

I certainly enjoyed reading this retelling.

This is truly not your happily ever after fairy tale where birds sing and butterflies flutter on a beautiful summer day. This modern retelling of Sleeping Beauty is a heart breaking, gut wrenching read that will leave you feeling like true love does not conquer all. The world building in this book pulls you write into the asylum and you feel like you yourself are a patient there. Characters are strong and believable and the story line is well written. the author has done a superb job with this book and I can't wait to read the second book, Awaken.

My favorite quote in this book was; "You know, they say that anything can be cured by true love."
Profile Image for Melanie.
86 reviews7 followers
February 24, 2015
I read Slumber by Christy Sloat and recommend this book!! I did not read what this book was about before I started, and I'm so glad I didn't! It started kind-of spooky like another awesome series of hers, but quickly changed to mystery and emotional intrigue. I was so excited to find out the direction this book was going, then BAM! A twist! LOVE IT!
Profile Image for Rosa2047.
4 reviews
July 1, 2016
I purchased this book with my own money, I was not provided a free copy.
With that said, this is a honest review.

When I read the books synopsis, I thought this will be an awesome book. I am a sucker for fairy tale books, especially if they are a retelling.

I was so disappointed, half of the book was so slow, it did pick up at the end but even then it was predictable.

The book cover looks crazy good, I have to admit that that was what drew me to the book in the first place. It also has this awesome texture that feels like Velvet, but even it did not make up for what was written inside. To give you an idea, I was experiencing several WTF?'s per chapter, and I mean that not in a good way.

I don't understand how this book has gotten 3 and 4 star reviews. I gave it only two stars, one for the book cover and the other because of Gray, the only fairy godmother that was mentioned more than once. Out of all the characters she was the most interesting.

***Spoilers*****

The plot that was mentioned in the summary, it was new and different it did not seem like your typical YA book. I really wanted to know how the author was going pull it all off. I did have my theories but none of them were as bad as what the author actually wrote.

Well it was pulled off horribly I could think of 5 different ways that it could have been executed. It was so mundane that I had to stop several times to see if I was reading the same book that everyone else was talking about.

The main character Rory, she was so infuriating, there were times I wished I could jump into the book and slap her. In one instance she keeps telling people to tell her the truth but once they tell her she does not believe it or says that she does not want to know. So I'm like WTF? Do you or do you not want to know. Also she seemed to whine about everything, even when someone tries to help her.

When we first meet Sawyer, he tries to tell her that things are not what they seem and gives her some information. You know what she does? She screams leave me alone in one second and then the next asks sawyer if he is new here? WTF?

She was very submissive character.
For example,

"I didn't ask you," I whispered as the tears streamed down my face.
She leaned forward, placing her face so very close to mine. "What did you just say?"
I looked up and swallowed. She was intimidating, but how much worse could life get? I was already in an asylum. What did I have to lose?
"You heard me. I didn't ask you if I was crazy."
The slap that came after struck me so hard it knocked me off of my chair. I lay on the ground with the woman standing over me. "Next time you mouth off, it will be worse than that," she said. "Now get up and sit down."
Standing on wobbly legs , I sat in the chair like a well trained dog. I learned my lesson; back talking this woman was not to be tolerated. My sudden bravery was wiped out of existence with one slap.

At first I thought the author was building her character but after getting punished, she actually becomes a timid shy mouse for almost the rest of the book.

The other thing that I find annoying is how she has no remorse for cheating on her fiance; prince Phillip, with Sawyer until she gets caught by her fiance? Like really? A couple of chapters before when she was dancing with Phillip. She hoped that he would soon leave for another crusade so she can be with Sawyer, she didn't feel any guilt then? But she still wanted all the attention from Phillip, selfish much? There was another part where she wished he never came back at all? At one point I was like come on make up your mind, woman. It was never really explained why it was agreed that they had to marry. Just what would happen if they tried to call it off, which the outcome was War. I get that but, why? Is Rorys' country under siege or is it more for an alliance so there will be peace between the two countries? Are the two countries each others enemy? There is no explanation.

There where many times that I tried not to pull my hair out. The one that took the cake was how Maleficent was so easily killed by Rory. She was supposed to be an all powerful badass, that even Gray was afraid to take her down by herself. That was the whole point of the freaken rescue. But in the end she was killed by someone who had a training secession in one afternoon. It was not specified on what she was trained on, but the first arrow that Rory shot, was the one that hit Maleficent right in the heart? She even says that she did not know what she was doing. WTF?

I mean she could have tried to fire a couple of times and miss. And then maybe the last arrow she shot, it could have just injured her not full on kill her you know. So then Maleficent would have a slow and painful death. Or maybe curse her or something? I would have found that more believable then, her killing her with one shot.

To me Maleficent's plan is not that great like seriously I don't understand why she wanted Rory to remember her memories just to kill her. She kept saying that since Rory's memories are gone she was now considered an innocent, WTF? Also I don't get why she kept telling Rory that she killed her boyfriend, when Rory doesn't even remember who her boyfriend is, just a guy named Phillip. I am guessing to cause her pain, but how can you cause some one pain when they can't even remember their full name?

I get that the author wanted to show how fudged up Maleficent was with all that power to the point of going insane, but even then her plan was still not a good plan. For one she could have gotten Rory on her side, since she has no memories it would have worked out wonderfully. And then she could have made her hate here parents and both of them could have ruled the world,
Muahahahahahaha

But no she decides to take her revenge on the person who had no clue; even of she regained her memories, onto why she is so angry at her and her parents.

The couple of times I did find the book enjoyable it was when Rory was not in the picture. For example Sawyer and Gray, when they wake up and find Rory missing and they go on a search for her and encounter a crazed Phillip. It was an awesome scene it showed just how much of a badass Gray is. Or when we get a more in-depth look at Maleficent and The Kings relationship. Or even when Maleficent crashes the party/announcement of a new baby princess. Yeah I know, Rory is there but shes just baby, so yeah doesn't count.

Gray she was awesome I wish that we could have gotten more on her. In fact I wish the whole book was on her point of view. She seemed more interesting out of all of them, I would totally buy that book!! If you do remember in the original story there are three faeries that take care of Rory. Well the only one that has a big part its Gray, the other two you don't hear much from them.

Poor prince Phillip, I felt bad for him. The few glimpses of him in the story he seemed like a good guy. Until Maleficent gets her hands on him, but he seemed to have more of a character than Rory.

Sawyer he surprised me. Usually the love interest in YA books are all about them, or they are moody or act indifferent. The little instances where he's with Rory, his characteristics over powered Rory's. It makes you to want to know more about him, and their relationship. Which eventually you do and you get know how he knows Rory, but it never gives you how their relationship started or anything else. Besides her remembering only two interactions with him, and one being when Phillip finds them in the woods (don't get your hopes up they are just kissing) and another when they were kids. Trust me Sawyer makes the story a bit more bearable.

We don't get much of the queen, just at the very end which it is not much.

I know my review its more of a rant, but i normally don't write reviews. But man this book was that bad. I wanted to cry, because this could have been a beautiful story. But instead we got a story that infuriated me so much, that I wanted to find the same spell Rory was givien so I could forget that I read this book.

For those of you who want to still read this good luck!
March 28, 2016
I received this book for free in exchange for an honest review. I think it's safe to say that what I've written below is unbiased.

DNF 9%

While I was interested in the premise, I couldn't get past the writing style, particularly the inconsistent verb tenses and the awkward, overly descriptive sentences. (If you've read my other reviews and know me, you'll know one of my pet peeves is inconsistent tenses.) The straw that broke the camel's back was when Rory met the obvious love interest in such a forced way that my eyes almost didn't roll back down.

Let me set the scene.

Rory wakes up in the middle of the night while at the asylum. She tries to get back into the dream she was having about a boy. Suddenly, she's dragged out of bed by two nurses who mysteriously hate her.

She's taken to a room with all the other patients, who spit on her because they all mysteriously hate her, and she'll never make friends.

Turn the page...and some new male patient tries to comfort her. Here's a snippet of the exchange.

"Leave me alone," I shouted at him. He shot back from me, holding his hands in front of him in defense.

"I didn't mean to hurt you, I swear. I was just trying to help," he said innocently. He still held his hands up, and when I straightened up showing him I wasn't scared, he ran them through his non-existent hair.

"Let me guess. You're new?" I tried.

He cocked his head.

"Your head is newly shaved, and you're not afraid of me yet," I told him. "You will get used to your hair, and you'll be staying away from me. Trust me."

I buried my head in my hands and tried to sink away from everything.

"What if I am not afraid of you?" the boy whispered in my ear. I tried hard not to show how scared I was of the intimacy of his breath on my body. "What if I want to get to know you? Then what?"

Without lifting my head I said, "You won't."

First of all, she's in an asylum for the "criminally insane", supposedly for killing her boyfriend but not remembering it. Which means all of the other patients would have to have done something criminal while experiencing severe mental health problems. The author keeps saying that everyone hates Rory, but why??? She says it's because they're scared of her, since she killed one person. And yet she doesn't look scary. She's spacey and skittish and is trying to understand why she's there, not terrorising the other patients. It doesn't make sense!

Second of all, the author seems to plop in sentences just to prepare for plot points. Page: everyone hates me and I don't have any friends. Next page: new boy is whispering sweet nothings in my ear.

Sorry, I don't think I can read any more of this. It's a shame, really, because the concept IS really interesting. It's just not well-executed and could have done with more editing and a few more drafts to develop the rough idea into a flowing, engaging story (with better grammar).
Profile Image for Bethany.
4 reviews
April 15, 2016
Firstly, I know everyone is entitled to their own opinion and if you enjoyed Slumber, I am not trying to disrespect you or your opinion. I don't like to bash books because it's not constructive and insults the author, I don't even usually review books but with the incredible number of five stars for this book, I just have to get my thoughts out on the flaws I saw because it mind-boggles me that other readers see no problems.

The premise is absolutely fantastic and the way the novel started gave it so much potential, but the plot and characters were executed, in my opinion, terribly, and as it neared the end, it got worse.

Non-spoiler overview of thought: The basic writing is understandable for Rory in the beginning (considering she's lost all her memories) but it continues throughout and is constantly over-dramatized, making Rory's voice very annoying to me.

I found the ending anti-climatic and the main events it involves were frankly stupid - character's reactions were unrealistic or non-existent.

The main reason why I disliked Slumber was that I couldn't help but notice multiple flaws in the plot's development and the development of Rory.

***SPOILERY SECTION***

Rory is supposed to give Dr. M the illusion that she does not know what is really happening in the asylum. As Dr. M becomes increasingly infuriated by Rory, she gives her death threats. Realistically, if Rory didn't know what was happening in the asylum, she would be alarmed by death threats (from her doctor!) and therefore realistically Dr. M should have known that Rory wasn't as clueless and she's (apparently) able to act.

In the end of the novel, there's a lot of death which no one seems that alarmed by. Rory is seemingly unalarmed by her boyfriends cut throat just because he may be able to be healed during a magical sleep (cop out). Her father dies which doesn't get enough of a reaction to be realistic and when her mother wakes up to find out about his death, she tells Rory that she knew about her love affair - her mother's reaction is not really there.

In the end of the novel, the oh-so-powerful maleficent (who is so powerful she took over the kingdom with her dark magic and whatever) is finally taken down... by a group of people who managed to pin her to the floor, where's her magic now? Plus, if i'm correct there's no mention of Rory being a skilled archer, so how come she can perfectly hit the heart of a flying target (an anticlimactic death of a powerful villain) but she can't hit the heart (or any part) of a still one - if a new villain is going to end victorious do not let the good guy's failure /that/ anticlimactic or for such a silly reason either.
Profile Image for Michelle .
1,990 reviews222 followers
March 28, 2016
**You can see this full review and more at Book Briefs: http://bookbriefs.net**
Slumber is the first book in the young adult Slumber Duology by Christy Sloat. I liked Slumber, but in the end it was just an ok read for me. Slumber is a fairy tale re-telling and I loved the twist that author Christy Sloat took on the tale. It is the story of sleeping beauty but it takes place in Spindle Ridge Asylum for the Criminally Insane, where they have convinced the princess that she murdered her boyfriend. Interesting starting point, right? I thought so too, and the idea behind the story I still think is great. I think it would be better suited for younger, young adult readers as it is. It is a very quick, and enjoyable read, but it didn't have the depth or development I was hoping it would. It does have one of the most gorgeous covers I have seen in a long time though. I still can't stop staring at it.

I liked the main character, Rory. I thought she was really interesting, and I wish that she was a bit more fleshed out because I think if that was the case overall, this book would have gone from good to really great, very quickly. I am hoping that the next book in the duology is a bit longer and more in depth. The mystery of just what was going on, is what kept me reading Slumber. You know right away that it is a retelling of Sleeping Beauty and you can kind of get an idea of where the plot is going and who some of the characters are, but the author does a really good job with keeping you in the dark as to the why. And I found that to be very intriguing.

Bottom line: I think Slumber will be a hit with younger YA readers and older readers that are looking for a quick fairy tale retelling without a lot of fluff. Christy Sloat does a good job keeping you on your toes as to the mystery elements of the book and she is direct and to the point with story advancement. While, I found myself wishing that the story itself was a bit more fleshed out, Slumber was an overall decent read.

This review was originally posted on Book Briefs
Profile Image for AM.
158 reviews
February 15, 2015
17 year old Rory is brought to Spindle Ridge Asylum for the Criminally Insane for murdering her fiancé, Phillip. However, she has no recollection of that night. In fact, she has no memories at all before arriving at Spindle Ridge. She has dreams, but it’s hard to differentiate between what is real and what is not.

Then one day a new doctor arrives, and she claims she can help Rory with her memories, with remembering who she really is, and that she can trust her. But can she? After all, this new doctor claims that Rory is really a Princess. How is that so? A Princess wouldn’t do something so horrible to another person, and a Princess certainly would not be in an Asylum. Or would she?

Along with the new doctor came a new patient, Sawyer. He is handsome, wonderful, mysterious, and there is just something about him that draws Rory to him. And those eyes…. Those beautiful eyes that seem to change colors. Sawyer says he is there to help save Rory, help her remember her life before Spindle Ridge. But can she trust him?

Slumber is much like Sleeping Beauty. You have a Princess who is suffering from memory loss- which is a gift more than a curse in her current predicament. You have an evil being who would stop at nothing to take the throne she thinks she is entitled to, and you have a King and Queen who are suffering at the hands of said wanna-be-queen.

As Rory quickly learns, things are not always as they appear. Can the Fae and Warriors help her remember in time to fix things and free herself of the curse bestowed upon her?
Profile Image for Jennifer Treviño.
534 reviews4 followers
March 14, 2015
A great new twist to a terrific fairytale!
Let's begin with this cover, shall we? Wow! It's simply beautiful! Isn't it? As soon as I saw it I knew I had to read it! I adore Fairytales, fairytale mashups, & basically all things magical so this was right up my alley. The characters were great. The story was full of emotion, questions, & drama. Then we had the evil fairy & her minions who were definitely throwing around some magic & mischief.
The moment we arrived in Spindle Ridge I felt how I imagine I would if I were in Rory's place i(n an asylum with no recollection of the past or events leading up to my imprisonment). For the greater part of this tale we are witnessing Rory's confusion & attempt at remembrance, but with all of the meds & brainwashing being shoved down her there isn't much more to expect ... until everything begins to change. This is where some action jumps out to play & some interesting twists are thrown at us.

My rating teetered a bit for a few reasons. Even though this wasn't my #1 favorite story by this author I feel it was told extremely well. (And, I have read all of her previous work.) Sloat's writing is always impressive. The characters are never lacking. I just enjoy a bit more action throughout. This is totally a personal preference, & I think that the lack of action was appropriate for the beginning of this tale. I will say that the action Sloat did bring was very entertaining. And ... as always ... she leaves us wanting more. I can't wait to see what she has to come.
Profile Image for Jennifer.
157 reviews31 followers
March 5, 2015
Not all princesses get their happily ever after...
I’m crazy. I’m not a princess.
They’re the mad illusions of an irrational teenage girl, right?

Absolutely possitively LOVED this book. AMAZING storyline that keeps you reading from start to finish without stopping for a break. This is one author worth reading. This is the 4th book I've read by this author & I hope to read LOTS more. I can't wait for the 2nd book in this series to come out.
Profile Image for Madison Woods.
45 reviews2 followers
March 20, 2015
Slumber by Christy Sloat is one of my favorite reads of 2015. I can not show you how much insanity is running through me waiting for the second book. I need to be put in an asylum. It is such a twist from other retellings that I was sucked in from the start. Everyone knows I am obsessed with princesses and retellings and I of course jumped onto this book and loved it so much! It is seriously hard to not stop thinking about it!

The cover, first of all, is spectacular! I really love the beauty and colors. The model did a splendid job!

You follow different characters and their stories throughout the book and you gain more knowledge of Before as Rory does. Christy did such a great job with adding descriptive detailing to scenes and dreams. I felt like I was actually there, a patient in an asylum.

Rory, or Aurora, is the main patient and I loved her. She was not like other patients that you read in books, which is a nice change. She was not hard and rebellious, insane or crazy. She had the innocent mind of a lost girl and she just wants to learn.

As you get to the middle, you meet the other characters and there were moments where I was yelling for more. I really hope we learn more about them in the second book.

The only thing that I was a little sad about was the rushed ending, I was looking for a longer and more explained ending, but it was still awesome.

Slumber is going to be the book of the modern age and I would not be surprised if it became a movie one day! Love, loss, and jars of secrets opened with every page turn leaves you wanting more!
Profile Image for Brittany.
Author 9 books61 followers
March 25, 2015
Wow! I think this is probably the best and most creative retelling of Sleeping Beauty I have ever read! The book starts off with Rory entering the asylum and she has no idea why. I thought that was a great start to the story. It had me hooked right away! Better yet, there is an awesome love triangle! This is something I didn't expect the book to have. Now, I'm not usually a fan of love triangles, but this one was a great addition to the story. It made the story that much more interesting. Especially because it's not your typical love triangle. It's a shame that we didn't get to know certain things about Rory because she was locked in the asylum. The asylum is very controlled to the point where they can barely even read! I loved that Sloat included all the character's from the actual tale. There are many retellings I've read about fairytales that didn't include all the character's that played a special role and that usually disappoints me. Not only did the book tell Rory's story, but Maleficent's story as well. I believe it's always good to know why the villain is the villain because there's always a reason. No one becomes dark just because they feel like it. I always like to know why the villain of the story becomes evil. Sloat did a great job and I'll be reading the sequel for sure!
Profile Image for Inah (Fueled By Chapters).
475 reviews115 followers
April 20, 2015
I haven’t actually read a lot of fairy tale re-tellings but I do have to admit this one is really great. I have to say the only Sleeping Beauty stories I knew were the ones from Disney (*coughs* MALEFICENT FTW) and the TV show, Once Upon A Time. She’s not even my favorite Disney Princess (It’s Mulan :P) but it’s quite enjoyable to read a novel about her especially with a twist.

Slumber tells the story of Rory, who’s been admitted into Spindle Ridge Asylum as a patient for killing her boyfriend Phillip. However, as the story goes on, she discovers about her past which changed everything.

Rory was an interesting character. I wasn’t attached to her that much but seeing her character grow gave me satisfaction. It was such an adventure for me to see her grow. I have to admit I liked her chemistry with Sawyer. A LOT. The other characters were interesting as well. Malisa/Maleficent came off to be a great villain, and Raven did as well.

I loved the fact that the story’s setting was in an asylum. I don’t know, but somehow that appealed to me. I think I really do like twisted books sometimes.

It’s my first time to read anything from Christy Sloat and I have to say I’m very impressed of her writing.
Profile Image for Zee Monodee.
Author 43 books345 followers
March 19, 2015

I am always amazed how imaginations can take an 'established' story and then spin it on itself - and Christy Sloat did this in droves in this tale!

This was a 'long' book - my ereader, with the ARC version, gave me around 230 pages. The way it's been lately with me, not being able to get into a book well enough to finish it within a week, I thought it would be the case for this one, too. Boy, was I wrong...because I gobbled this book up in a matter of hours, in 2 sittings (would've been just one, me reading cover to cover, if I'd managed to get out of dinner duty the other night!).

This was a riveting story and the way Ms. Sloat has written this one - the POV veering among chapters between the characters - delivers an all-rounder experience that puts you right there into the tale. I found myself - well, not really empathizing - with the villain, but I could see where she 'came' from, what made her this way. Ms. Sloat's work with characterization was lovely and kept me intrigued till the very end.

Seems to me there could be more coming from this world. If yes, then I am eagerly awaiting the next book!

Definitely recommended! You do not want to miss this book!
Profile Image for Dexx Peay.
Author 4 books24 followers
April 28, 2015
I mean, who doesn't love a good fairytale?

Rory wakes up in an insane asylum for the murder of her boyfriend whom she stabbed to death. Rory has no memory of her actions or her boyfriend or anything before waking up there. But then again, if I killed somebody, I would probably block out the memories as well. As Rory goes about her miserable life of eating crap, getting yelled at constantly, and being put in isolation, she starts to uncover truths about the real identity of the staff and patients in the asylum. When Rory finally remembers who she is (Princes Aurora), as the truth behind the asylum and her parents, she must act fast in order to defeat Maleficent and regain control of her kingdom.

Although Sleeping Beauty is not one of my favorite stories, I really loved this retelling. The set up of an asylum and false information of her being a teenage murderer was the perfect twist on the original. The story is told in a mix of 1st person and 3rd person with Rory's character told in 1st and other characters told in 3rd. It worked perfectly for this story. I am falling in love with Christy Sloat and waiting for book two at the door!
Profile Image for Callie.
286 reviews19 followers
July 30, 2015
Well that was terrible. The plot sucked. The characters were hollow. The writing was awful.

No part of this book is well done.

I was expecting a twisty tale that was more of a modern retelling. What I ended up reading was an utter mess.

Not recommended at all.
Profile Image for Holly.
180 reviews9 followers
July 24, 2015
Overall: interesting concept, lame execution. I would have much rather had a book about Sleeping Beauty set in the real world, not just in Fairytale Land. Actually, that was what I was expecting, so it was a serious let down.

So, not my cup of tea.
Profile Image for Grayson Newman.
15 reviews
June 2, 2015
THIS HAS BECOME ONE OF MY FAVORITE BOOKS.

Christy Sloat, your book is amazing. Slumber by Christy Sloat is the first installment in the Slumber Duology. Christy was so sweet to get her publisher to send this book to me for review, so a big thank you to her.

And on to the review.

Slumber sucked me in instantly. Like, I literally could not put this book down! Slumber grips and captivates the reader from beginning to end with its memorable characters and unique plot. This book begins with a bang and takes off immediately. I loved how quickly paced this book was - there was never a dull moment in the story. The sequence of events in this novel were perfectly planned, and created a gorgeous storyline that will be truly unforgettable to all who read this.

Character development was very important in this book, and Christy Sloat perfectly balances this into the novel. Set in Spindle Ridge Asylum for the Criminally Insane, this story is centered around main character Rory, who is charged for killing her boyfriend Phillip, and confined for life in Spindle Ridge. Rory has no recollection of Phillip, much less murdering him herself. Rory's character development throughout the story was very intriguing to see play out. Rory is constantly reminded not only by herself, but by the people in the asylum that she is insane and did in fact murder Phillip. As a reader, you wonder if Rory will go completely mad or if she will learn the truth of what happened the day she was committed to Spindle Ridge. I was enthralled with Sloat's ability to make me question what was real and what was not, it was impossible to quit reading! Sloat's clever writing style makes you become indecisive about Rory's mental state and the choices she will make throughout the story, further drawing you into the plot.

Like the characters in Slumber, imagery really stood out to me while reading this novel. The whole book is packed with descriptive lines and a detailed setting that hooked me when I first cracked the spine. When reading this, I could picture myself with the characters in Spindle Ridge just because of how vivid the text was! The imagery in this novel allows the reader to see the emotions of the characters to a full extent, and to feel and relate to them as well. This story was incredibly picturesque, letting the reader easily visualize even the smallest of details in the plot.

Slumber by Christy Sloat easily receives a 5/5 stars from me! There were so many things that I loved about this book, and I am so delighted that I was able to read and review this novel. I recommend this book to any of you fantasy/myth retelling lovers out there. I guarantee you will absolutely LOVE this book!
Displaying 1 - 30 of 102 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.