Start by marking “Agatha” as Want to Read:
Agatha

Agatha

In this tense and exciting book, Kathleen Tynan vividly recreates the strange events surrounding the mysterious disappearance from her home in 1926 of the world-famous Agatha Christie.

For ten days the missing writer was sought high and low. The police dragged the ominous Silent Pool in Surrey, near which her abandoned car had been found. Thousands of amateur detectives joi
Published by Ballantine Books (first published January 1st 1978)

To ask other readers questions about Agatha, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Agatha

Susy
Oct 29, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3 stars
An easy, fictional read about the 11 days Agatha Christie went missing. I hadn’t even heard about her disappearance before this book.... I must say I quite enjoyed it. People say it cannot be compared to Christie’s own writing and storylines and therefore give it a low rating. But why would you want to compare? Tynan wrote ABOUT Agatha, she wasn’t trying to impersonate her, duplicate her storytelling or anything like that. It may not be a great story but it’s not that bad either. So 3 sta
Krista
May 16, 2018 rated it liked it
I enjoyed imagining Agatha Christie as a real person, though I didn't really enjoy this book. It was well-written and constructed but the Agatha Tynan envisioned is not the Agatha I would want to know. So it's really not a fault of the book, persay, but of my preconceived notions about who Agatha Christie must be.
Kelly
Oct 07, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
A must NOT read for Christie fans. Boring, poor writing, nothing like a good Christie mystery. If I could give it negative stars I would. Barely finished it.
Sarah Nicoloff
A fictional read about the 11 days Agatha Christie went missing. It may not be the best written book - but the story and characters are enjoyable.
Sherri Rabinowitz
Jan 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is the second time I read this book. I bought it in the 70's when it first came out, in fact my paperback is a first edition. My curiosity at the time was huge about the author's idea about what happened to my favorite mystery writer when she disappeared.

The ideas of the author all fits the actual evidence that is known about Agatha Christie's disappearance. The rest of course is the authors imagination. The book is far better then the movie. I have read a lot about Agatha Christie and ther
Eva
Apr 26, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fairly-dreadful
2.5/5
I enjoyed reading it, but there were some things that could have been better. I felt like Agatha was portrayed differently than I'd ever imagined her, and the characters and story were a bit dull. Still, the mystery was good, and this was based on a true event in Agatha Christie's life. The writing was good, and there was nothing inherently wrong with the plot, it was simply a little slow and underdeveloped. I missed the regular "Agatha" pacing and sense of adventure, and the air of myster
Kelley
Feb 19, 2015 added it
Agatha is a factionalized account of what happened during the 11-day disappearance of famed mystery novelist, Agatha Christie, in 1926. It spawned a national sensation in the UK at the time she disappeared. Kathleen Tynan wrote an interesting novel in this account. Her writing style actually reminded me of the great Christie herself. Interestingly, Christie never spoke about this disappearance and never offered explanation. Did Christie disappear on purpose? Did she have amnesia or a psychotic b ...more
Gerry
Oct 20, 2011 rated it really liked it
What exactly did happen when Agatha Christie went missing in December 1926? Will we ever know the absolute truth?

Kathleen Tynan puts her own imaginative interpretation on the affair in a hightly entertaining and thought-provoking novel.

If readers have seen the film of the affair, the book will have some similarities particularly where Wally Stanton (Dustin Hoffman in the film) is concerned.

An intriguing tale well told that keeps the reader interested, and on edge, to the very end.
Jenny
Aug 02, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
On the cover of this book, it reads "as ingenious and passionate a crime as Agatha Christie might have plotted..."

So not true. Kathleen Tynan cannot even approach the genious of Agatha Christie. The writing isn't that good, the plot is a little meandering, and there NO CRIME.

I thought this would be more Christie-esque. I was mistaken.
Kelsi
Oct 03, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: owned
This book was poorly written and I didn't enjoy it. In fact, I picked it up because it was about Agatha Christie. The story seemed rather strange and the writing was, as I mentioned before, rather bad.

Don't waste your time unless you have nothing better to read and a long bus ride.
Jacqueline Ellis
May 06, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Bought this because I ran out of books to read on holiday,struggled to finish it! There's no depth to any of the characters and I was left with no real interest as to the events and outcome. Very disappointing!!
kami

Shelves: fiction
Entertaining.
Rena Searles
Aug 13, 2012 rated it liked it
Entertaining theory about the real-life disappearance of Agatha Christie.
Robert Binkowski
Apr 04, 2014
Kate
Jan 04, 2008
Moira Russell
rated it did not like it
May 29, 2010