Start by marking “Silence: The Power of Quiet in a World Full of Noise” as Want to Read:
Silence: The Power of Quiet in a World Full of Noise

Silence: The Power of Quiet in a World Full of Noise

The Zen master and one of the world's most beloved teachers returns with a concise, practical guide to understanding and developing our most powerful inner resource—silence—to help us find happiness, purpose, and peace.

Many people embark on a seemingly futile search for happiness, running as if there is somewhere else to get to, when the world they live in is full of

Published January 27th 2015 by HarperOne

To ask other readers questions about Silence, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Silence

Start your review of Silence: The Power of Quiet in a World Full of Noise
Rachel
Dec 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Powerful. Life-changing.
My favorite of all the Thich Nhat Hanh work I have read.
3 mindful breaths truly can change everything.
I recommend this highly to anyone who is sick and tired of being sick and tired (unfulfilled, stuck, apart from their true nature).
Chris Austin
I adore Thich Nhat Hanh and have read 13 of his books, with The Art of Communicating as my favorite, followed by Fear and Reconciliation.

One thing to know about his books is that he frequently uses the same material in multiple books, told in slightly different ways. These anecdotes and the related bits of wisdom are combined to form a rough narrative around the topic - e.g. "Fidelity" has a lot in common with "The Art of Communicating" and "True Love", though "The Art of Communicating" is a
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
Thich Nhat Hanh's Silence is subtitled The Power of Quiet in a World Full of Noise. Just reading this book reminded me of the importance of taking time to sit in silence and stillness, and so I did.
Janice
Nov 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If your dreams aren't coming true, you might think that you need to do more, or think and strategize more. In fact, what you might need is less noise coming from inside and outside. Silence is a kind of magic formula that helps cultivate deep listening and mindfulness, transforming a situation and our lives on a breath. So much to love about this book.
Tommy
Dec 24, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Is it oddly ironic that I opted to listen to an audiobook recording of a book titled "Silence: The Power of Quiet in a World Full of Noise"? Regardless, Thich Nhat Hanh confirms what I was already aware of, but too "hooked" to let go of, and that is the fact that we - as individuals and as a society - are perpetually inundated by noise. Not just sound, but the "head traffic" of texts, emails, social media, alerts and reminders, and more. We're approaching a point when we are incapable of being ...more
Nikki
Aug 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the first book by Thich Nhat Hanh that I have read, although I have followed his teachings for many years. It is a lovely read and very thought provoking, I’ve learnt a couple of new things regarding my mindfulness practices, which have been very helpful, particularly regarding the island of self. Also, to find moments of mindfulness in everyday tasks such as brushing your teeth and making tea! I had not thought of this before.

His thoughts on suffering, have reminded me about the
Craig Werner
A simpler book than the last two I read by Thich Nhat Hanh; less Buddhist-centered, more on mindfulness. If you haven't read any of his work and aren't interetested in Buddhism per se, a good place to start. Lots of practical guidelines on how to incorporate silence into a busy life.
Nayan
May 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Powerful astonishing. Love it, life changing. Happiness. We can achieve many things by being silent. ...more
Merilee
Jan 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I highly recommend this book for anyone overwhelmed with their busy life and wanting a way to increase mindfulness in a practical manner. It's written with such a simple, easy, manner that it's not only a joy to read but gives you ways to incorporate mindful practice into a busy lifestyle. Thich Nhat Hanh clearly understands how a lot of us move through life so quickly, always thinking about what happened in the past or what needs to happen in the future that we fail to enjoy the present moment. ...more
Mindfully Evie
Jun 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, self-help
If you’ve read any of Thích Nhất Hạnh’s books, then you’ll have a general idea of the kind of advice he gives. Stemming from his meditation and mindfulness, he offers powerful and yet extremely simplistic insight into how important it is to be in the moment, to tune in with the breath, to seek out the silence and just be. Although he often doesn’t change in what he is saying or offer different material, there is always something so soothing about reading his words. Even if we already know it and ...more
Mandy Drager
Nov 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Many parts of this book have resonated with me and have stuck with me during and after reading. This book is easy to read, but I had to take it in small portions to really savor what I was taking in.
Phil
Jan 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thank you Thay for continuing to teach me for all these years. One day, perhaps, I'll get there. Because of you, I keep trying. No one has taught me more about love, peace, mindfulness . . . true spirituality.
Carl Phillips
Mar 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautifully written. A simple but powerful message in our sometimes strange and ever noisier times. Thich is the real deal and this book is an amazing read. Highly recommended.
Burçin Acar
Jun 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's a peaceful book to be refered also in stressful times. It's good to remember the joy of breath, the joy of life, the calming effect of being here and now. Additionally one can sense the compassion of the author through the pages. Recommended.
Amanda
Dec 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A great refresher about the benefits of meditation, or a perfect introduction to it. I'm sure I'll go back to this book again and again.
Luka Rtveladze
Feb 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If we listen from the mind of silence, every birdsong and every whispering of the pine branches in the wind will speak to us.
Jess
Oct 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
My favorite of Thich Nhat Hanh’s books so far.
Sandy
Mar 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
If only there were a way to have this book live inside my heart! Thich Nhat Hanh is steadily becoming the inspiration for my life. Having read several of his books, I'm seeing themes of self-awareness and self-care which evolve into authentic caring for the other. This book focuses on how silence assists us to be very present in the moment. He mentions Buddhism frequently; however, the Christian and Sufi mystics share his perspective, as does Jung and Thoreau. Love and kindness permeate the mood ...more
Mariana
Aug 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful, to be read over.I REREAD IT
Iphios
Aug 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Simple. Profound. Practice.
Bernard Davidow
Mar 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am posting this one review for two books: "Silence In the Age of Noise" by Erling Kagge, translated by Becky L. Crook (2017), and "Silence: The Power of Quiet in a World Full of Noise" by Thich Nhat Hanh (2015).

Here's how I fill my time if I'm home and have a few extra minutes: I check my iPhone, put on the radio, grab a magazine, play a song on the piano, make tea, check the time, check Facebook, then Twitter, then Instagram, then maybe Facebook again. I get by.

Shame on me.

A New York Times
MyNguyen1709
In this book, Thich Nhat Hanh explains how important of silence, of solitude. Silence is very powerful sound. I will quote some my favorites sentences in this book. "If we can silence within ourselves, we can hear 5 true sounds: the sound of wonder of life; Sound of the One Who Observes the World - the sound of listening; the Brahma Sound - om; The sound of Rising Tide - voice of Buddha; the Sound That Transcends All Sounds of World." "How mindfulness is the practice that stops the noise inside ...more
Julie
Favs:

"Realize that silence comes from your heart and not from the absence of talk."

"To fully experience this life as a human being, we all need to connect with our desire to realize something larger than our individual selves. This can be motivation enough to change our ways so we can find relief from the noise that fills our heads."

"With the act of breathing in mindfully, you go inside. Your body is breathing; and your body is your home. In each breath, you can come home to yourself."
Serena Long ﺕ
SILENCE! THE POWER OF QUIET IN A WORLD FULL OF NOISE. Another excellent book by Thich Nhat Hanh. This book is incredible. Thank you Thay, the Vietnamese Buddhist monk, the great meditation master. My memento mori.
Carolyn Pina
Apr 26, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An excellent book! Well worth reading!
Renata
Jul 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It is difficult to review books that teach you to work on yourself, more so one written by a Buddhist monk and Nobel Peace Prize nominee. Thich Nhat Hanh is a guiding spirit in ‘mindfulness’, a concept he has covered in many books dealing with anger, fear, hate and other emotions. One of the most beloved Buddhist teachers in the West, he is described as a combination of mystic, poet, scholar and activist, who writes with the voice of the Buddha.

In “Silence", Thich Nhat Hanh brings our attention
Jim Lavis
Aug 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love Thich Nhat Hanh’s books. They have a knack of keeping it simple that talks to me. This book is no exception. Although, I’ve been studying Buddhism for decades, reading his work inspires me and motivates me to practice. The sad news is that our society has no concept of mindfulness and doesn’t understand how silence can be used as a tool.

Let me rant for a moment. Our social media and smart phones have turned our society into an insecure narcissistic culture that constantly needs
Travis
Feb 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This if the first book by Thich Nhat Hanh I've read, unless you count his children's book A Handful of Quiet: Happiness in Four Pebbles. I didn't find anything revolutionary in Silence: The Power of Quiet in a World Full of Noise, but that's because it just reiterated so many things I already believe. As I've delved further into mindfulness, I've become an even stronger proponent of quieting the external noise around us, especially our smart phones. What Silence added to that was the notion of ...more
Madeline Puckett
I believe everyone should read this book. Regardless of belief system, religion, socio-economic status, gender, you-name-it; there is benefit to be found for anyone who reads this book with a receptive mind.

Hanh discusses the trials of our age with straightforward reflection, without judgement. He points out that our constant need to be stimulated is rooted in fear, and this constant stimulation is disconnecting us from life.

His writing is in beautifully simple language, as he dissects what
Zohra Fathima
Oct 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Silence is beautiful and Hanh’s words in this book encourages the reader to come back to the basics, to refute the constant pull of technology and our busy lives, to appreciate life’s simple pleasures, to stop and smell the roses, and basically, just slow down. We are all in a rush to do more, accomplish more, and wanting to maximize our potential... but our true happiness and potential can be unlocked by slowing down, and it takes very little to be happy. He discusses the importance of silence, ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• The Art of Disappearing: Buddha's Path to Lasting Joy
  • Psicotrappole: ovvero le sofferenze che ci costruiamo da soli: imparare a riconoscerle e a combatterle
  • Welcoming the Unwelcome: Wholehearted Living in a Brokenhearted World
  • Joyful Wisdom: Embracing Change and Finding Freedom
  • Have The Relationship You Want
  • Mindfulness for Beginners
  • Living Beautifully: with Uncertainty and Change
  • Aware: The Science and Practice of Presence--A Complete Guide to the Groundbreaking Wheel of Awareness Meditation Practice
  • Women Within
“When feeling lonely or anxious, most of us have the habit of looking for distractions, which often leads to some form of unwholesome consumption -- whether eating a snack in the absence of hunger, mindlessly surfing the Internet, going on a drive, or reading. Conscious breathing is a good way to nourish body and mind with mindfulness.” 10 likes
“All the wonders of life are already here. They’re calling you. If you can listen to them, you will be able to stop running. What you need, what we all need, is silence. Stop the noise in your mind in order for the wondrous sounds of life to be heard. Then you can begin to live your life authentically and deeply.” 4 likes