Start by marking “The Guy, the Girl, the Artist and His Ex” as Want to Read:

A rock chick.

An artist with attitude.

A girl with a past.

A party animal.

Four lives collide when one of the world's most famous paintings is stolen. It's a mystery that has the nation talking, but while Picasso's Weeping Woman might be absent from the walls of the National Gallery, in other parts of Melbourne the controversial painting's presence is being felt by Guy, Rafi,
Published April 1st 2015 by Allen & Unwin

Tatiana
Oct 01, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: aus-nz, 2016, ya
A bit underdeveloped and much less fun than the cover would suggest.
Arlene
May 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Arlene by: Nomes
Absolutely perfect!

This book has it all… an uncomplicated plot that's made up of complicated characters.

The Guy, the Girl, the Artist and His Ex starts off with an interesting account that I still need to research a bit more. It’s about a group that calls themselves the Australian Cultural Terrorist. Back in 1986, they stole a Picasso painting of the Weeping Woman from the walls of the National Gallery of Victoria with the intent of getting the government to increase funding and support for stru
Jeann (Happy Indulgence)
This review appears on Happy Indulgence. Check it out for more reviews!

The Guy, the Girl, the Artist and His Ex is a new Australian title meshing different age groups, with two teenagers and two characters in their early 20’s. Mixing a light heist story with some major character development, it presented an interesting perspective of life from majorly flawed characters.

This book takes a while to warm up. After meeting all of the characters, I wondered whether to continue on, seeing as I didn’t
Diem
Mar 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely brilliant. I read it in one sitting. AHHHHH! A MUST READ.

_________________
Listen to a Bookish Friends discussion of 'The Guy, the Girl, the Artist and His Ex' on Omny, iTunes or on the blog.
Nomes
Smart and smiley and refreshing original. Loved so much about this: the premise and the twisty, brilliant and daring way everything some together. Williams is an outstanding author marching along to the beat of her own drum.

This one is marketed as YA but with 4 POV's (some young adult age) it's perfect for fans of adult fiction, too.
ALPHAreader
Mar 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
‘The Guy, the Girl, the Artist and His Ex’ is the new young adult novel from Australian author Gabrielle Williams.

So I had the absolute pleasure of reading this story when it was still a manuscript, and now it’s in my hot little hand as a finished book and I need people to know that it’s one of my favourites of 2015, and should be on everyone’s must-read list.

Allow me to explain …

This book opens with a history lesson;

On 2 August 1986, a group calling itself the Australian Cultural Terrorists
Amanda
The Guy, the Girl, the Artist and His Ex by Aussie author Gabrielle Williams, is set in Melbourne during August 1986. It revolves around a true story: Picasso's painting, Weeping Woman, was stolen by the Australian Cultural Terrorists and ransomed for better funding for the arts. It was later returned but there has always been some question as to it's authenticity.

This was an event I'd never heard of, but it made a great starting point for this novel, giving our four main characters a place to
Tara
Oct 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was very different to what I was expecting and I really enjoyed it! I really liked The Guy, the Girl... and His Ex, but the Artist was a total douche who made me cringe with dislike.
Great story with the added bonus of being set in Melbourne.
Ruzaika Deen
Aug 06, 2015 rated it really liked it

This review can also be found on: http://reading-is-dreaming-with-open-...

"It was funny how you, yourself, could pretend something to you, yourself, that you, yourself, knew full well was untrue."

The Guy, the Girl, the Artist and His Ex begins with a real-life incident about a mob calling itself "Australian Cultural Terrorists" who stole a Picasso- the Weeping Woman- on the 2nd of August, 1986, from the National Gallery of Victoria to draw the attention of the government to increase the funding
Olivia
Feb 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Amazing story, with a perfect twist. Definitely not something I would usually read, but I don't regret it one bit. Kinda sad it took me so long to read (what happens when you study so many hard subjects), makes remembering connections a bit harder. Though I do love the connections to Aussie Culture. The strong themes that make you question your morals, and humour that is sometimes black is a perfect combination. The different takes on art is also an awesome thing and having a look inside the art ...more
Heather Gallagher
May 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Wow - it's a long time since I've been reading a book and start to feel disappointed when I realise there's only a few pages to go. But that's how it was with this clever, well-written dramedy inspired by the theft of Picasso's Weeping Woman by a mob calling themselves the Australian Cultural Terrorists in the 80s. This book had a Magnolia style story - ie. separate characters whose lives all end up intertwining in unexpected ways. There were some great characters - the Bastard-Ex was certainly ...more
Leira Carola
May 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
Slow to start but when it does, not far into the book, there's no stopping. Had me holding my breath and shivering. As a plus, made Google The Weeping Woman and learn about it.
Rebecca
Dec 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I found the first two chapters quite rough, but once I got to Luke's perspective I became intrigued, and by the time I got to Penny's first chapter, I was settling in nicely and any reservations I had about whether I would enjoy it, disappeared out the window. Bub-bye.

Basically, I inhaled this book. The 5 shiny stars are probably a dead giveaway, but I loved it. I loved how the characters lives were interconnected and intertwined. The complete originality of the story and how it's set in the 80
Steve lovell
Jul 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Poor Race. Race Matthews that is. They called him the 'Minister for Plod', '...a tiresome old bag of swamp gas' and a '...pompous fathead' - they being a group calling themselves the Australian Cultural Terrorists (ACT). Race, being a pollie, had a thick skin and had possibly been called much worse - and we are, all these years on, still no closer to knowing who those rude guys were. But they managed to perpetrate one of the most audacious of art heists in our history - and on Race's watch. This ...more
Braiden
I can always count on Gabrielle Williams for a fun story set in the Melbourne I know. Well, close to it at least, since her latest, The Guy, the Girl, the Artist and His Ex is set in the early 1980's, a time when an activist group, the Australian Capital Terrorists, managed to steal and replace a Picasso painting -- The Weeping Woman -- at the National Gallery of Victoria with an exact replica because of cuts to arts funding.

Using a true event as the backdrop, Williams has created young, impulsi
Alicia Papp
A fairly enjoyable read - set in the 1980s in Melbourne. Great music, fun fashion and lots of secrets and lies (and a stolen Picasso). Luke is a completely irredeemable arsehole, Penny is a doormat (who knows better but "can't help herself") and Rafi is living with her deeply disturbed mother and makes one stupid/crazy choice that left me gobsmacked. The only relatively 'normal' character in this book is Guy and he is out of the picture most of the time. By the by: if you ever need to find your ...more
Miffy
3 1/2 stars
I loved Beatle Meets Destiny, but The Guy, The Girl, The Artist and His Ex didn't resonate the same way with me.
More of a farce than a really humorous book, I felt that the story was walking a fine line between young adult and new adult - and kept sliding off.
There are some really tense OMG moments, and the romance between the teens is well-handled. But the adults gave me the pip, and I felt they intruded on the 'real' story. Scheming, immoral and unsympathetic for the most part.
The p
Trisha
It did not take me all this time to read this book. I read about 20%, and put it down because of life's busyness, and then found other things to pick up and really just neglected it.

I always knew I would love it.

This book is very clever, and does that thing where the four narrative points slowly converge until there is an 'ah ha' moment for readers. Whether this resonates or not, will depend how they connect with these flawed characters making some bad decisions.

But the secondary characters are
Jam
May 17, 2016 rated it liked it
The Guy, the Girl, the Artist, and His Ex is about four pov-characters whose lives got tangled in a mess of picasso art heist and Hispanic mythology. There was Guy, a normal guy who threw a party. Raffi, whose mother is stuck in the idea that La Llorona (The Crying One in Hispanic mythology) drowned her brother when he was three. Luke, the next big artist who decided to be a part of an art heist, and Peggy, Luke's ex and mother of his child who is still in hopes that they would get back together ...more
Kim
Feb 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
I don't think I actually read the blurb for this book before buying it. One of my book buddies was reading it and gushed so much, and it fit my biggest reading goal for this year - more Aussie books - so I just went for it. I didn't realise it was based around a real theft in Melbourne, that the book was set in the past or that there would be four POVs to visit. Or that I would not want to put this book down.

Fantastic read.
Steph
Jul 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nbhs, read-2016
I really enjoyed this quirky little novel about a real art theft that I'd never heard of! Told with alternating chapters, from the points of view of the four characters mentioned in the title, it had me turning pages to see how the different story lines would converge. Great heart and humour abound.
Jennifer Nguyen
Apr 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I'm in shock... Still trying to process what has happened.
Mari
Jun 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Well written and surprisingly unique concept. One of my favorite reads of 2015.
Els (Tragic Romantic)
I have yet to meet a book by Gab that I do not love.
Maddy Estherby
Jun 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
My Rating: 4 Stars

This book was really fun, really intriguing and a great read. It was light, but heavy; funny but sad and was such a great Aussie read. I definitely recommend this if you are wanting to read a bit more Aussie YA because this was really entertaining.

My Thoughts:

This book was one I picked up on a whim at the Sydney Writer's Festival this year and I am really glad I did. It was such a pleasant surprise to read it and be sucked into to the world that I know so world, and to read Au
Niens
Jan 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Actual rating: 4.5 stars
This book fully took me by surprise, and for that I'm so so glad I picked this up.

I'd definitely recommend going into the book not knowing anything about it, bcs hell yea it was a refereshing read consisted of flawed characters, slice of life and some artsy love.
Kate Stericker
Holy crap. So good. Two different chapters made me cry out of suspense alone.
Shaheen
Mar 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I can’t remember what I was expecting when I started this, but it certainly wasn’t this: a thoughtful, poignant look at love, life, and art that is sure to touch the hearts of its readers.

The Guy, the Girl, the Artist and His Ex is, unsurprisingly, the story of four people whose lives become entangled in unexpected ways. It’s also the story of the theft of Picasso’s Weeping Woman from the National Library in Melbourne. Or rather, a story of what might have happened in 1986 when the painting disa
Clare Snow
The Guy, the Girl, the Artist & his Ex combines the stories of four young people and the theft of Picasso's Weeping Woman from the National Gallery of Victoria in 1986. Gabrielle Williams weaves her story around the historical facts of the theft and eventual anonymous return of the Weeping Woman. The historical facts are few because the perpetrator(s) are still unknown.

Luke, the Artist, and his friend Dipper steal Picasso's famous Weeping Woman from the National Gallery. Luke's Ex, Penny liv
Rachel (The Rest Is Still Unwritten)
  • Inbetween Days
  • Dreaming the Enemy
  • Green Valentine
  • Clancy of the Undertow
  • Head of the River
  • Cloudwish (The Six Impossiverse #3)
  • Protected
  • Notes from the Teenage Underground
  • Iris and the Tiger
  • Risk
  • Becoming Kirrali Lewis
Gabrielle Williams has worked in recording studios, advertising and television. Her first novel for young adults, Beatle Meets Destiny, was shortlisted for two literary awards in 2010. Her new book, 'The Guy The Girl The Artist & His Ex' is currently rating on Goodreads @ 4.48 stars out of 5 (which she's thrilled about). If you're interested in great books (no crap), see Gab's blog called book ...more
More about Gabrielle Williams

Young Adult Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
  • How to Say I Love You Out Loud
  • The Lost Girls of Camp Forevermore
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Scat
  • Chomp
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
  • I See London, I See France
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth of March: A Story of the Boston Massacre (Great Episodes)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Starfish
  • Olive's Ocean
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
  • Little Monsters
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • 13 Little Blue Envelopes (Little Blue Envelope, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Train I Ride
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
  • Greyhound
  • Annie on My Mind
    $9.99 $1.20
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Curse (Blur Trilogy #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
    $4.24 $1.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
  • Taken (Taken, #1)
  • Julie of the Wolves
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
  • Emergency Contact
    $10.99 $3.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Things We Know by Heart
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
  • The Secret of a Heart Note
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Old Yeller
    $6.99 $1.99
  • After the Game (The Field Party, #3)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Ticker
  • How To Keep Rolling After a Fall
  • No Love Allowed
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)