Start by marking “Brave the Heat (The McGuire Brothers, #1)” as Want to Read:
Brave the Heat (The McGuire Brothers, #1)

Brave the Heat

(The McGuire Brothers #1)

Brave the Heat is for you if you like:
• A scorching hot fire fighter struggling with his dark past
• A tough-as-nails heroine determined to protect her family
• A small town ready to ignite
• And a second chance at love that may just save them all

Jordan McKenna is back in town, and Fire Chief Gavin McGuire’s feelings when he sees her after all these years are as raw as the da

Mass Market Paperback, 352 pages
Published September 1st 2015 by Sourcebooks Casablanca

To ask other readers questions about Brave the Heat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Brave the Heat

Jo
Mar 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: gr2016, 4-stars

A second chance love story

Jordan and Gavin was very much in love at eighteen until Jordan just left one day. And because of miscommunication and lies they have been living their lives apart for 15years. But now Jordan has come back to her hometown with her two little girls. Hoping she can make a better life for them. Seeing Gavin again after all these years, she is confronted with lots of feelings, especially whether she made the right choice all those years ago.

Gavin has never forgotten Jorda

Julie
Aug 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Brave the Heat by Sara Humphrey's is a 2015 Sourcebooks Casablanca publication. I was provided a copy of this book by the publisher and Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

This book is the first in a new contemporary romance series featuring the McGuire brothers. Many of us know this author for her wildly popular paranormal series, so this one may seem like a departure for some of you.

Jordan and Gavin were teenage sweethearts but Jordan abruptly left town without a word, never to be see
Lover of Romance
Oct 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
This review was originally posted on Addicted To Romance My Review
Summary
Jordan McKenna has returned home after a failed marriage and being a full-time single mother of two daughters. Her father's life is faltering, and the man she has always loved is still hurting from all those years ago where Jordan made mistakes she regrets. Jordan and Gavin were high school sweethearts, mistakes were made and other factors drove them apart. Jordan left for the big city, married a man that turned out to be abus
Vi ❤ Inkvotary
Sarah Humphreys you rock! I am blown away and totally thrilled at the same time. I heard about her for the first time on social media. She promoted her upcoming new release of the second McGuire Brothers book and was so fun to watch and listen to, that I wanted to read that series kind of immediately.

And what can I say? Usually I expect from a novel with such a cover that the story is sugar sweet and digs deep into the box full of kitsch. In every possible way you can imagine. Not this one.

Bra
Jenelle
Jul 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
*********Thank you NetGalley for an Advanced copy of this title***
Jordan McKenna ran fifteen years ago from an abusive father. She left behind her mom, her boyfriend, her friends. A clean break with no contact with them. She felt it was the only way. Now she is home again, with her two daughters in tow, after leaving an equally abusive husband. She's ready to start over, but not ready for Gavin. Top it off, her father is dying and with the dementia, he doesn't even remember her or the horrible w
Susan (susayq ~)
Wow. This was the best way to spend the day. Gavin was such a swoony hero. He and Jordan dated in high school and were in love. Then, Jordan left him and broke his heart. Fifteen years later, she's divorced and moves back to their hometown with her two children. Naturally, they have some things to work out, but Gavin never doubted they would be together again. Gavin could easily be my dream man :)

ARC provided by the publisher via Netgalley
Tammy
Mar 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance, own
Holy smoke!!! Once I started this book it was so hard to put it down. I loved Gavin and Jordan from the very beginning and the way that Gavin fell for Lily and Gracie just topped everything.

This is definitely a must read by Sara Humphreys and I promise, you will not be disappointed.
Stephanie  G
Sep 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Fire Chief Gavin McGuire’s feelings for Jordan is just as raw as the day she left but when a series of suspicious fires breaks out he realizes that the sparks between them is the least dangerous of his problems in this sensational contemporary romance.

Jordan McKenna’s life hasn’t turned out the way she’d hoped and now she just wants a fresh start for her and her daughters and the reader becomes completely absorbed in the story as Jordan and Gavin tiptoe around their attraction and the past. The
Robin Covington
Mar 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I have loved every one of Sara's paranormal books and that is saying a lot as that subgenre is not my "go to" read. So, when she asked me to read an advance copy of BRAVE THE HEAT, I couldn't say "yes" fast enough.

Sara brings to contemporary romance the same fire, deep emotion, sexy times, and engrossing plot that she serves up with her vampires and other creatures that go bump in the night. I plowed through this story, riveted by the engaging characters and the sweet seductive world building an
SiKReviews
Jul 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
I wish I can add another half a star!!!! 4.5 for sure.

Leaving everything and everyone she has ever loved was not easy, but she did ti to get away from her abusive father. What does she do then, she marries a guy just like him!

Now, years later she returns home a divorced mother of two of the cutest little girls. Now that she is home she is determined not to get involved with the one man she ever truly wanted. Or so she tells herself, but come on, he is one HOT Fireman!!!

Gavin's world crumbled the
Gretchen  (About That Story)
This was pretty fantastic! I love the story of Gavin and Jordan reconnecting, it was so sweet. I thought they were great characters, good history and details for both. There was a nice amount of animosity between the two as well as playfulness and longing.

Gavin was so wonderful! I just wanted to hug him, squeeze him, and love him. Devoted and sweet, I couldn't get enough of him. Jordan was great as well, I love her strength and determination. They were great together and I absolutely enjoyed th
Danielle
Jun 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is one of the sweetest stories I read this year!

I loved each and every character especially Jordan and Gavin. I am a sucker for first Love's trying again after 15 years and this one was so great. Jordan didn't have the life she planned but when she returned home with her two children, getting involved again was the last thing from her mind. Gavin has dated but he has never got over Jordan.

You can see the chemistry this two have when they run into each other unexpectedly and when they first
Elizabeth H.
BRAVE THE HEAT is the first book in a new contemporary romance series from Sara Humphreys. She’s a paranormal romance writer and this is her first dip into the contemporary romance genre.

I worry sometimes when an author writes in a different genre. I’m always concerned about liking the book. I am glad to say that Sara Humphreys is just as brilliant in paranormal romance as she is in contemporary romance.

I thought Ms. Humphreys captured the emotionality of the characters beautifully. The story
Lisa Annesley
Jul 28, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, contemporary
Jordan is returning to her hometown of Old Brookfield, a beach town, as a divorced mother of two. Still living in town is Gavin, her first and only love, and now the town's fire chief. Will they have a second chance at love? When tragedy strikes, it doesn't look like they will.
...
This is a cozy, small town, second chance at love romance. There's also a mystery, and a tragedy that will break your heart. But don't let that stop you from reading the book.The characters are all likable, and the roma
Heather andrews
Jun 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing

Jordan has quite the affective way to shut her man up, "Gavin?” Jordan murmured as a grin curved her lips and she rocked her hips against his thigh. “Shut up.” Before he could say another word, she popped up on her toes and covered his mouth with hers." Gavin is just not a patient man at times, "too many buttons,” he growled as tiny disks went flying around the room, clattering one by one somewhere in the distance." I loved this book, this is going to be a great serie I'm hoping Ronan is up next
Jessica
Oct 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library
An excellent read!
Cannot wait to follow the rest of the clan.
Bridget O'Toole
Aug 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I was not sure how I was going to feel about Brave the Heat because second chance romances are not my favorite to read. But I’m happy to say that I was pleasantly surprised. Although, pleasantly surprised does not seem to do my feelings justice. So let me explain.

Have you ever had a book come in to your life at exactly the right moment? Has it ever felt like you were meant to read a specific book at a specific time because it held a special message for you (or something of that nature anyways)?
Linda
Aug 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: contemporary, romance
A second chance at love story with fast-paced, fire-fighting action

A hot man like that was made for more than friendship...

BRAVE THE HEAT by Sara Humphreys is the first intriguing installment in Sara's new The McGuire Brothers series. It's a contemporary romance set in the small town of Old Brookfield, an idyllic New England hamlet. BRAVE THE HEAT is the second chance at love story of Fire Chief Gavin Maguire, aka Captain Hotty Pants McGuire, and Jordan McKenna. I read it in one day as I could
Judy
Do you like a man in uniform? Meet Gavin, the Fire Chief of Old Brookfield, a small town set on the coast in New England. How about second chance at love stories? Jordan is the girl who got away; and she just moved home, newly divorced, with her two young daughters. Or how about stories of redemption? Jordan has moved back because her father, whom she has been estranged from for years is dying and she wants to confront the past. And let's not forget a dash of mystery - the fires that are being s ...more
Amanda R
Aug 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015, romance, arc
This review can also be seen on chillreviews.blogspot.com.

I have had such great luck with books lately! This was one that I requested from NetGalley on the spur of the moment, and it was such a great surprise! I'm always a sucker for a lost love found story and this one did not disappoint, plus it's the beginning of a series, about brothers. I mean can you say win?

Alright, so Jordan left town ten years ago. She was freshly graduated, and in love with her high school boyfriend, Gavin. Everything
Irene
4.5 starts

Brave the Heat was a beautiful and heartfelt read.

When I started reading Brave the Heat I knew this story was going to touch my heart.

description

Both Jordan and Gavin were such likable and relatable characters, they were each other's first love and even after 15 years apart that love is as strong as it was back then.

I enjoyed watching Gavin slowly open his heart and let Jordan back in, when she ran-away from Old Brookfield all those years ago with no explanation he was left heartbroken and never
Kortney
Aug 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is the first book that I have read of Sara Humphrey's so I was not sure what to expect in regards to her writing and story telling. I found that her books both contained deep gut wrenching stories but also was able to incorporate humor in the write places. Sara did a great job of developing the characters so that you felt like you really understood them and their past. She also did a great job of incorporating new characters that could be used for future books. In addition, I think she also ...more
Tracy
Jun 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I'm a sucker for a second chance at love story - and one that is packed with action and intrigue as well as a hit of heat and romance definitely piques my interest!!!

Jordan runs back to the place and the people that she ran from to escape her abusive father years ago - it broke her to leave it all behind but she made the best of things, even if it meant never seeing the boy she loved. Now she returns to lick her wounds after a divorce and to begin a new life with her two little girls.
The hurt an
Danielle
Second chance romances are usually hit or miss for me... On the one hand, watching two people come back together after some time apart can be a magical thing to witness, but on the other hand, sometimes it's hard to feel the connection between them when you weren't privy to their past relationship... Which is what happened with me and Brave the Heat.

Individually, I really enjoyed both Jordan and Gavin and couldn't help but root for them and their HEA, but as a couple? I had a really hard time fe
Shauni
Originally Reviewed For: Tea and Book

Sara Humphreys writes sizzle, she writes PNR, she writes about Vampires and shifters and maybe a little erotica.. but does Sara Humphreys write pure romance? Heck Yeah! Brave the Heat is book one in her new Series, The McGuire Brothers and once again Ms. Humphreys hit it out of the park.

I knew this would be a good book, Sara has a definite talent what I didn't expect was blow you out of the ballpark good! This was what we have to call a swoonworthy book and
Kassiah
Mar 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: adult, pub-2015
This review is also posted on Pretty Sassy Cool.

I put this on my TBR way back in March. We had an interview with Sarah Humphreys then, and I totally loved her after that.

I love reunion stories, and this one had a twist that I don't usually see: she left, breaking his heart. It's usually the other way around! So, about this story. Ten years ago, Jordan left her high school sweetheart, Gavin. She went to NYC, tried her hand at acting, got married and had two kids. She's back in town (recently di
bookaholic ge
Sep 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Jordan McKenna has returned to town after her marriage has gone down hill. Newly divorced and ready to start her life over with her children, she is ready to let go of her past. Jordan knows that she has to stay focused for her children but one man from her past makes her want to remember how things were and how they could have been...

Fire Chief Gavin Maguire was in love with Jordan McKenna when they were younger but his heart was broken when she left and he's never been able to put it back toge
Jackie Ferrell
May 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
What a great start to a new series contemporary series by Sara Humphreys!!

Jordan McKenna had left home 15 years earlier to get away from her abusive father. She also had left her best friend and love Gavin McGuire. In the time she has been gone Jordan had gotten married and has two young girls. It turns out that she married a man just like her father, is divorced and brings her girls back to Old Field to live and start a new life.

When Gavin sees that Jordan is back in town he wants to know why s
Michelle Eriksen
Aug 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Brave the heat is book one of the McGuire Brother Series and let me tell you this series is off to a great start. Ms Humphreys had me hooked right from the beginning with the super hot Fire Chief Gavin Maguire who is still thinking of his first love that got away, but when he accidently runs into her and finds out she is back in town and recently divorced all bets are off. Unfortunately the demands of his job and some suspicious activity may get in the way of them discovering true love once agai ...more
Franjessca
Full Review posted at Book Lovin' Mamas

If you enjoy second chance relationships with some very sexy romantic moments, Brave the Heat is that book for you. Oh, and if you love a very sexy Fire Chief, who will be hard to forget then Brave the Heat is definitely for you. I could go on and on with the many reasons why readers should pick up this book. I'll leave it with this...you'll love every bit of this story and you'll be wanting the other McGuires stories immediately afterwards. ***Sara definit
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Smolder (Firefighters of Montana, #1)
  • Fire Me Up (Pine Mountain, #4)
  • The Marine Next Door (The Precinct: Task Force #1; The Precinct #17)
  • The Fire Still Burns
  • The Good Girl's Second Chance
  • Hold Her Again
  • Stud for Hire (Stripped Down #1)
  • Santa Wore Leathers (Wild Heat, #0.5)
  • Best Worst Mistake (Brightwater, #3)
  • Burning Up (Smoke Jumpers, #1)
  • Loving a Lawman (Cattle Creek, #1)
  • Deeper Than Dreams (Love & Steel, #1.5)
  • Every Move She Makes (Who's Watching Now, #1)
  • At Fairfield Orchard (Fairfield Orchard #1)
  • Summer on Lovers' Island (Jewell Cove, #3)
  • Come Back to Me (Blessings, Georgia, #6)
  • Every Little Kiss (White Pine, #3)
  • A Reason to Love (Snowberry Creek, #3)
Sara Humphreys is the award winning author of the Amoveo Legend series. The third book in the series, UNTAMED, won two PRISM awards--Dark Paranormal and Best of the Best. The first two novels from her Dead in the City series have been nominated for the National Readers Choice Award. Sara was also a professional actress. Some of her television credits include, A&E Biography, Guiding Light, Anot ...more

The McGuire Brothers (2 books)
  • Trouble Walks In (The McGuire Brothers, #2)
“I must have a screw loose," she muttered under her breath. Satisfied the counter was clean, she squatted down and put the cleaning supplies away in the cabinet beneath the register. "Yup. There's definitely something wrong with me."
"Are you looking for confirmation on that?" Jordan's heart hitched in her chest as Gavin's familiar baritone filled the shop. "Or am I supposed to argue with you?”
1 likes
“Did you need Jordan for something, Cookie?" Gavin asked with thinly veiled impatience. Hands back in his pockets, he took a step away from Jordan. "Or do you merely excel at crappy timing?"
"Sorry, Chief." Cookie's short purple-and-blue hair stuck out in a hundred different directions, and she winked when she peeked out from behind the swinging door....
"It's a gift."
"That's not what I would call it," he grumbled.”
1 likes