Jump to ratings and reviews

Brave the Heat is for you if you like:
• A scorching hot fire fighter struggling with his dark past
• A tough-as-nails heroine determined to protect her family
• A small town ready to ignite
• And a second chance at love that may just save them all

Jordan McKenna is back in town, and Fire Chief Gavin McGuire’s feelings when he sees her after all these years are as raw as the day she left. Then he was just a kid wearing his heart on his sleeve. Now he spends every day trying to atone for the tragedy he couldn’t prevent.

Jordan’s life has not exactly worked out the way she expected. A divorced mother of two with a failed acting career, Jordan’s biggest concern about coming back to Old Brookfield was seeing her first love. But when a series of suspicious fires breaks out, Jordan and Gavin realize that dealing with the sparks between them may be the least dangerous of their problems.

The McGuire Brothers Series:

Loading interface...

About the author

Sara Humphreys

29 books977 followers
Sara Humphreys is the award winning author of the Amoveo Legend series. The third book in the series, UNTAMED, won two PRISM awards--Dark Paranormal and Best of the Best. The first two novels from her Dead in the City series have been nominated for the National Readers Choice Award. Sara was also a professional actress. Some of her television credits include, A&E Biography, Guiding Light, Another World, As the World Turns and Rescue Me.

She loves writing hot heroes and heroines with moxie but above all, Sara adores a satisfying happily-ever-after. She lives in New York with Mr. H., their four amazing sons, and two adorable pups. When she's not writing or hanging out with the men in her life, she can be found working out with Shaun T in her living room or chatting with readers on Facebook.

For a full list of Sara's books please go to www.sarahumphreys.com

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
Displaying 1 - 30 of 134 reviews
Profile Image for Jo.
957 reviews199 followers
March 16, 2016

A second chance love story

Jordan and Gavin was very much in love at eighteen until Jordan just left one day. And because of miscommunication and lies they have been living their lives apart for 15years. But now Jordan has come back to her hometown with her two little girls. Hoping she can make a better life for them. Seeing Gavin again after all these years, she is confronted with lots of feelings, especially whether she made the right choice all those years ago.

Gavin has never forgotten Jordan. She broke his heart, and now suddenly she’s back in their home town. With her two adorable little girls. And once he finds out that she’s divorced, he sees it as the opportunity to maybe have another chance at the future he always wanted.

But things are not so easy. There is an arsonist in their midst, and Gavin must put a stop to it before another tragedy strikes their town. He also has his own demons that still haunts him from a different fire when he was young, one that he blames himself for.

I really enjoyed this book. Second chance romances are not my favorite trope, but I did enjoy this one. We all make mistakes, and most of the time it’s very difficult to fix those mistakes, or to get another chance at what you really wanted. And I must say I was very happy that Gavin and Jordan got another chance at their HEA. Both of them haven’t had easy lives, and Jordan especially had a rough childhood, which was the reason why she left all those years ago. And seeing her and Gavin face their demons and overcoming their fears was wonderful.

The plot with the arsonist was interesting, and I was very happy that I was correct in my suspicions about who the culprit was. There was also some sadness when someone died, which was very heartbreaking.

Sara Humpreys is known to me because of her PNR novels, which I love, and I was very happy that I liked her contemporary work too. I cannot wait to read the other books in this series.

Profile Image for Julie .
3,988 reviews58.9k followers
September 15, 2015
Brave the Heat by Sara Humphrey's is a 2015 Sourcebooks Casablanca publication. I was provided a copy of this book by the publisher and Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

This book is the first in a new contemporary romance series featuring the McGuire brothers. Many of us know this author for her wildly popular paranormal series, so this one may seem like a departure for some of you.

Jordan and Gavin were teenage sweethearts but Jordan abruptly left town without a word, never to be seen or heard from again for fifteen years.

Now she has come home with two young daughters, to take care of family matters and hopefully make a fresh start in her tumultuous life. What she didn't know what that for fifteen long years, Gavin has never completely gotten over her and was hurt by her departure far more than she ever could have imagined.

But, this is not the only pain Gavin is dealing with. A horrible tragedy inspired him to become a firefighter, and is still haunted and riddled with guilt over what happened. However, at the moment he has his hands full with an outbreak of fires obviously the work of an arsonist.

Now that Jordan is back in town, can Gavin get to the bottom of why she left all those years ago? Do they have a chance at love the second time around?

I enjoy reading contemporary romance more than I ever used to, but as a person well past her twenties, I often find it hard to relate to the characters and the issues they find daunting. So, I really appreciated that this story featured more mature characters who were dealing with meatier issues.

But, for me, what set this one apart from others like it, was the more realistic depiction of firefighters, highlighting the dangers of the profession, something that is often glossed over in romance novels.

With Gavin, we were introduced to what felt like a real, honest- to -goodness hero who literally goes into blazing infernos and pulls people to safety. But, while Gavin knows what a fire can do, how quickly it can spread, and how easily it can kill, being in love with Jordan frightens him just a much as a fire raging out of control.

“Love is scary and wonderful, and it's what makes us human”

Jordan's life has never been easy and she's never been able to catch a break. Her return home is a new start for her and a chance to face down old demons, clear up misunderstandings and past hurts, and hopefully set her life back on track. I thought she did the right thing by leaving home, but did not do it the right way.

It's obvious the old fires are still burning between Gavin and Jordan but is it too late to start over? Has too much time passed? Can they work through their doubts and fears in order to finally have a life together?

The drama and romance is compelling enough to make a great story, but the mystery involving the arson fires is not to be taken lightly, even though it runs in the background for much of the time.

Some parts of the story does seem to follow the usual contemporary romance pattern when it comes to second chance love stories, don't be fooled or become complacent. This was a very solid romance, with very intense situations and a shocking mystery.

I think this book set the stage for a very solid series and I'm really looking forward to the second installment. 4 stars

Profile Image for Lover of Romance.
2,693 reviews777 followers
October 14, 2015
This review was originally posted on Addicted To Romance My Review
Summary
Jordan McKenna has returned home after a failed marriage and being a full-time single mother of two daughters. Her father's life is faltering, and the man she has always loved is still hurting from all those years ago where Jordan made mistakes she regrets. Jordan and Gavin were high school sweethearts, mistakes were made and other factors drove them apart. Jordan left for the big city, married a man that turned out to be abusive and a drunk, but she got two treasures out of it: her daughters. When her husband gets violent and her daughters are witnesses, she files for divorce. She comes back home to the seaside town for a fresh start and to have a stable environment. Gavin is the Fire chief, but over the years he has sustained his own scars both physical and emotional. He has never forgotten Jordan or how she left him and he never knew why. But Jordan and Gavin have a chance to begin anew, but before they may have a true chance....something traumatic may drive them apart.
Plot and Story Line
Brave The Heat was a brilliant story that had me hooked from the very beginning. I adore every book this author has written , and so far she always brings a satisfying romance. This is the first of Sara Humphreys with a contemporary setting since she has always done paranormal themes. So it was a nice change and boy can she write a fun and sexy fire fighter romance. I loved every aspect of this story, and it is packed with everything you are looking for in a romance.

It begins when Jordan, our heroine, returns to town with her two little girls in tow. Now I know not everyone is fond of children in romances, but I loved these two. Curious, blunt, and so funny. I love how sweet these two were and the way that they cling to Gavin. I loved seeing this aspect because it brings a hint of reality in the mix and I love having a story that is realistic and easy to relate to. And boy reading these girls made me want to have kids...immediately. Not that I will, but they were so precocious and charming and added emotional depth to the story that one wouldn't see coming but would be delighted to find.

The romance at first is a bit rocky and Jordan and Gavin have some hills and valleys to battle before they can truly accept the past and embrace the future. There is hurt feelings because there were outside influences to their break up, influences that don't get revealed until now. Which plays a huge role in their relationship. Because their past is the driving force, and they can't begin to have a future if they don't learn to accept the past for what it is. It was really quite stunning seeing these two in action, once the truth is revealed. Jordan does take some time before she is willing to begin anything with Gavin. She blames it on wanting stability for her girls, but in all honesty, she lets fear take control over her decisions regarding Gavin. Jordan hasn't had it easy with men, the only man who has ever treated her with kindness and love has been Gavin. Her father and ex-husband were both abusive in similar ways. So I understand the reasoning behind Jordan, but my heart did go out for Gavin as well.

Now, what really was the icing on the cake for this one was the Mcguire family. They are a hoot of entertainment...let me tell you. First the parents, they were so charming and cute. I love seeing couples that are madly in love after thirty years and still have the chemistry and not afraid to show it. We see that much to "Gavin's" embarrassment which was so hilarious. The brothers which are what this new series is based on. Boy, each brother is so different but in many ways they are so alike....children they are. Love to bicker and fight over their mothers homebaked cookies. But this family has so much warmth and love attached, that they really add so much more to the story. I can't wait to see which brother is next, though.
Narration
What a job well done by Kate Russell. I believe this is the first time I have listened to her narration and loved it. Any time I listen to Humphreys' books in an audio format I always have a fun time. She played out the characterizations very well and her voice did great when switching from male and female roles.
The Cover
What a charming and sweet cover. I love how romantic it is, with the sun shining in the background.
Overall View
Brave The Heat is a sensational romance that will sweep you off your feet with mystery, danger, emotional turmoil and a heartfelt love story that you never want to end!! TRULY MAGNIFICENT!!

photo Addicted To Romance Reviews 2_zpsplp8m0tb.png
Profile Image for Vi ~ Inkvotary.
638 reviews33 followers
October 1, 2016
Sarah Humphreys you rock! I am blown away and totally thrilled at the same time. I heard about her for the first time on social media. She promoted her upcoming new release of the second McGuire Brothers book and was so fun to watch and listen to, that I wanted to read that series kind of immediately.

And what can I say? Usually I expect from a novel with such a cover that the story is sugar sweet and digs deep into the box full of kitsch. In every possible way you can imagine. Not this one.

Brave the Heat is completely great balanced and no kitsch in sight, no matter where you look. Sara Humphreys has a great way to display the life of a small town, created some very profound and heartwarming characters and lets the sparks fly like crazy.

Jordan moves back to the place where she grew up and fled from fifteen years ago and is now keen to protect her two girls and herself from everything that could threaten their new gained freedom and peace. But when she sees Gavin again, all her hopes of a new start without any difficulties are blown in the wind. Because her body tells her very clear what he wants and Gavin shows her with every move, word and look at her that he wants the same. It takes a firebug and some destiny to make her move and to get what she wants after all: happiness and love.

Brave the Heat is written in the personal perspective of Jordan and Gavin. You get to know their thoughts, their wishes, what they think about some things and it is hilarious and soooo sweet to see how they sneak around each other.

Sarah Humphreys writing style is clear, modern, she gets to the point and has a wonderful humor. There is not one word to much and when it finally gets to the hot and passionate stuff she has the perfect way of showing it.

And how she brings in all those twists and turns, holy moly, that was one hell of a reading pleasure. This is a real page turner, I´d say. And there aren´t many that can claim that designation.

The author lets her characters go through a lot. Even the small secondary characters have their burden to carry and bring the extra portion of tension to the novel. All of them are created in a fantastic way – no wishes left open.

Jordan is a woman who grew up with a father who turned into an alcohol addict and tortured therefore his wife and daughter over many years; made her life a living hell. A key moment with her boyfriend Gavin gives her frankly said, the rest, and Jordan flees from the little town she grew up. Only to find herself years later in an unhappy marriage with an abusive husband, and yes, you guessed it right, alcohol is again in the game.
Back in the town of her childhood Jordan starts to see that she actually has a chance to not only start over again, but to do things better with her two girls. The way she changes is shown by the author in a great way. With feeling and a lot of understanding and it makes absolutely sense how she changes and that she does it bit by bit. In the end I was very touched and moved to see the new Jordan.

Gavin is not the typical male main character. Yes, he is hot like hell, and yes, he is a man who has his principles, a real gentleman and he knows how to handle those two little girls and win their hearts. But he is not like any ordinary guy. He knows what he wants, when he wants it and he has a very charming way to get it. But not at all costs. The world could use one like him …

This was amazing; lots of romance, beautiful scenes, some great characters and two adorable little girls I fell in love with. This contemporary romance is one of the best books I´ve ever read from the romance genre so far and fits right among the big names like Nora Roberts or Julia Quinn, to name only a few.

Originally posted on Gone With The Books
Profile Image for Jenelle.
377 reviews5 followers
July 29, 2015
*********Thank you NetGalley for an Advanced copy of this title***
Jordan McKenna ran fifteen years ago from an abusive father. She left behind her mom, her boyfriend, her friends. A clean break with no contact with them. She felt it was the only way. Now she is home again, with her two daughters in tow, after leaving an equally abusive husband. She's ready to start over, but not ready for Gavin. Top it off, her father is dying and with the dementia, he doesn't even remember her or the horrible way he treated her.
Fifteen years later, Gavin's feelings towards Jordan are still raw. As teenagers, they felt they would last forever, but then she was just gone with no word. Now she's back, and he has no clue how to feel about that. When he finds out why she left, his immediate response is to protect her.
When Jordan's ex-husband starts snooping around, Gavin's protective feelings kick into high gear to take care of Jordan and her little girls, who he definitely has a soft spot for. But can these two work through their past to their happily ever after? Not only that, Gavin is the fire chief and someone is out setting fires willy nilly on the outskirts of town, and they are getting bolder. He needs to catch the firebug before someone gets hurt.
I sat down to read this book last night and didn't put it down til I was finished... which was way past my bedtime! I would say, any Susan Mallery or Robyn Carr fans would love this book. (And everyone knows I absolutely adore Susan Mallery!) . I liked Jordan. She had been mentally beat down but managed to get away and start a new life with her girls. A good life at that. Gavin.... Don't tell my husband, but I kind of want a Gavin! He's so sweet with Jordan and her girls. Makes your heart melt.
I cannot wait for the next installment in this series.. Gavin has four more brothers that I want to hear about! And I know Maddy will come back.. she and Ronan obviously have unfinished business.
Thank you, Ms Humphreys for a fantastic read!
Profile Image for Susan (susayq ~).
2,057 reviews120 followers
September 9, 2015
Wow. This was the best way to spend the day. Gavin was such a swoony hero. He and Jordan dated in high school and were in love. Then, Jordan left him and broke his heart. Fifteen years later, she's divorced and moves back to their hometown with her two children. Naturally, they have some things to work out, but Gavin never doubted they would be together again. Gavin could easily be my dream man :)

ARC provided by the publisher via Netgalley
Profile Image for Tammy.
651 reviews43 followers
September 11, 2015
Holy smoke!!! Once I started this book it was so hard to put it down. I loved Gavin and Jordan from the very beginning and the way that Gavin fell for Lily and Gracie just topped everything.

This is definitely a must read by Sara Humphreys and I promise, you will not be disappointed.
Profile Image for Stephanie  G.
1,122 reviews302 followers
September 14, 2015
Fire Chief Gavin McGuire’s feelings for Jordan is just as raw as the day she left but when a series of suspicious fires breaks out he realizes that the sparks between them is the least dangerous of his problems in this sensational contemporary romance.

Jordan McKenna’s life hasn’t turned out the way she’d hoped and now she just wants a fresh start for her and her daughters and the reader becomes completely absorbed in the story as Jordan and Gavin tiptoe around their attraction and the past. The chemistry smolders from every page and the romance is sweet with heart gripping emotions that the reader can easily relate to as Joran and Gavin struggle to overcome emotional issues for their second chance at happiness. The characters are strong, compelling and grab the reader’s attention right from the beginning while the fast paced, smooth flowing plot seduces readers with suspense and a sweet romance.

Expectation builds throughout the story as Gavin tries to convince Jordan that he’s in for the long haul with some emotional turbulence along the way and tension building suspense adds excitement to the story when an arsonist decides that his fire needs to be let out to play. Gut wrenching emotions brings tears to the eyes while the sweet romance and the love family and friends warms the heart throughout the story and well written scenes and details bring everything to life and ensure that the reader can’t put the story down.

I love Sara Humphrey’s paranormal books so I was excited to try her new contemporary and I have to say that she did a sensational job. The story is compelling with wonderful characters and I can’t wait to get to know the rest of the McGuire Brothers and if they are as sexy as Gavin, I will be able to add them all to my collection of hot book boyfriends.
- Eva
Profile Image for Robin Covington.
Author 56 books1,221 followers
July 29, 2015
I have loved every one of Sara's paranormal books and that is saying a lot as that subgenre is not my "go to" read. So, when she asked me to read an advance copy of BRAVE THE HEAT, I couldn't say "yes" fast enough.

Sara brings to contemporary romance the same fire, deep emotion, sexy times, and engrossing plot that she serves up with her vampires and other creatures that go bump in the night. I plowed through this story, riveted by the engaging characters and the sweet seductive world building and I was personally invested in the hero and heroine getting their HEA. I got to the end with a huge, happy sigh and strong curse that it was over so soon.
Profile Image for Shevanty R.
120 reviews11 followers
May 7, 2020
This was the first book that I listened in full audiobook! I found the full audiobook on Spotify and thought hmm why not? I listened to it on the bus and I actually enjoyed! The story and plot were soo good and I love the whole "the one that got away" trope, it was cute! I did think the reason they broke up in the first place was kind of dumb but I guess that's just part of the back story so it wasn't a major detail. Overall it was a cute book and I enjoyed this book so much that I ended up listening to the sequel too!!
Profile Image for SiKReviews.
1,229 reviews5 followers
July 27, 2015
I wish I can add another half a star!!!! 4.5 for sure.

Leaving everything and everyone she has ever loved was not easy, but she did ti to get away from her abusive father. What does she do then, she marries a guy just like him!

Now, years later she returns home a divorced mother of two of the cutest little girls. Now that she is home she is determined not to get involved with the one man she ever truly wanted. Or so she tells herself, but come on, he is one HOT Fireman!!!

Gavin's world crumbled the day Jordan disappeared. She held his heart in her hands, and she fractured it when she left taking a piece of it with her. Now that she is back and free of her husband, he won't let go of her until she makes his heart whole again.

There were two things I loved about this book beyond the love story. First, I like how they got it all out there. The whole "why did you leave me" conversation was not drawn out through the whole book. It was asked, it was answered and it allowed the book to morph into the wonderfulness that only Sara Humphreys could write.

The second, the two little girls wrapping Gavin around their two little fingers. I am a sucker for a HOT man turn into the biggest teddy bear when a child is around. If he didn't melt your heart when it came to his love of Jordan, it would do so doubly when he interacts with the two princesses.

Gavin doesn't just find the missing piece of his heart, he finds a family.
Profile Image for Gretchen.
855 reviews121 followers
December 15, 2015
This was pretty fantastic! I love the story of Gavin and Jordan reconnecting, it was so sweet. I thought they were great characters, good history and details for both. There was a nice amount of animosity between the two as well as playfulness and longing.

Gavin was so wonderful! I just wanted to hug him, squeeze him, and love him. Devoted and sweet, I couldn't get enough of him. Jordan was great as well, I love her strength and determination. They were great together and I absolutely enjoyed their story, it was engaging. It was such a sweet story, so loving, and there was a nice amount of heat between the two.

This story had me completely pulled in. Really good pace and development. I was curious about what would happen next. I thought it was a lighter story with some heavier content touched upon, it was laid out well. I liked the secondary story that was in play, it added a bit of drama and suspense.

I really enjoyed all the characters that were introduced and the playfulness of Gavin's brothers. His parents were awesome as well. Jordan's daughters were adorable and I love how Gavin was with him.

This was just a wonderful story. Heartfelt and romantic! I love stories about reconnecting and this was definitely a great one!

Complimentary copy received for honest review.
Profile Image for Danielle.
1,339 reviews48 followers
June 3, 2015
This is one of the sweetest stories I read this year!

I loved each and every character especially Jordan and Gavin. I am a sucker for first Love's trying again after 15 years and this one was so great. Jordan didn't have the life she planned but when she returned home with her two children, getting involved again was the last thing from her mind. Gavin has dated but he has never got over Jordan.

You can see the chemistry this two have when they run into each other unexpectedly and when they first kiss it is actually explosive! And the way Gavin was with her girls was OMG sweet! In this story the romance outweighed the drama but I was fine with that because it worked well.

It had some moments that I teared up and laughed. I am excited to read about Gavin's brothers and to see when they fall in love.

The story was well written and I love how the characters came to life. I also enjoyed that the setting wasn't in the country but it took place in New York which was different from the other romance books out today.

I think this series will do very well and keep everyone reading through the brothers. I can honestly say I can't wait for the next book and I hope I get it soon! I'm quickly becoming addicted and the next book would be would the icing on the cake!
Profile Image for Elizabeth H..
911 reviews72 followers
August 18, 2015
BRAVE THE HEAT is the first book in a new contemporary romance series from Sara Humphreys. She’s a paranormal romance writer and this is her first dip into the contemporary romance genre.

I worry sometimes when an author writes in a different genre. I’m always concerned about liking the book. I am glad to say that Sara Humphreys is just as brilliant in paranormal romance as she is in contemporary romance.

I thought Ms. Humphreys captured the emotionality of the characters beautifully. The story was well-developed and touching. Small towns and second chance loves, stubborn heroes and heroines, sadness and heartbreak, guilt and forgiveness, and a dangerous mystery are just a few of the many wonderful things you’ll encounter in BRAVE THE HEAT.

I loved the story and I’m looking forward to learning more about the townsfolk of Old Brookfield and meeting the rest of Gavin’s irresistibly sexy brothers!

***I was gifted an eBook copy from the publisher via Net Galley in exchange for an honest review. All conclusions reached are my own***
Profile Image for Lisa Anne.
1,396 reviews18 followers
September 23, 2015
Jordan is returning to her hometown of Old Brookfield, a beach town, as a divorced mother of two. Still living in town is Gavin, her first and only love, and now the town's fire chief. Will they have a second chance at love? When tragedy strikes, it doesn't look like they will.
...
This is a cozy, small town, second chance at love romance. There's also a mystery, and a tragedy that will break your heart. But don't let that stop you from reading the book.The characters are all likable, and the romance itself is heartwarming.

The only thing I didn't understand was why there wasn't closure to

I'm looking forward to the stories of the rest of the McGuire brothers, especially Ronan and Maddy"s story.
Profile Image for Heather andrews.
9,520 reviews148 followers
June 2, 2015

Jordan has quite the affective way to shut her man up, "Gavin?” Jordan murmured as a grin curved her lips and she rocked her hips against his thigh. “Shut up.” Before he could say another word, she popped up on her toes and covered his mouth with hers." Gavin is just not a patient man at times, "too many buttons,” he growled as tiny disks went flying around the room, clattering one by one somewhere in the distance." I loved this book, this is going to be a great serie I'm hoping Ronan is up next.
Profile Image for Bridget.
123 reviews22 followers
September 17, 2015
I was not sure how I was going to feel about Brave the Heat because second chance romances are not my favorite to read. But I’m happy to say that I was pleasantly surprised. Although, pleasantly surprised does not seem to do my feelings justice. So let me explain.

Have you ever had a book come in to your life at exactly the right moment? Has it ever felt like you were meant to read a specific book at a specific time because it held a special message for you (or something of that nature anyways)? I have. And that book is Brave the Heat by Sara Humphreys. I know this sounds crazy–especially if you personally know me because I am not necessarily a deep person. Also, this is a romance novel. I never expected to have a romance novel impact me in such a way (such a way other than making me extremely happy). I always thought it would have to be some brilliant piece of non-fiction to instill this reaction in me, but no. An exceptionally well-written contemporary romance is what did it for me (in a totally innocent way–sorry my brain is always in the gutter).

It was not any one “thing” that gave me all the feels. I am not really sure what it was because I cannot directly relate to Jordan McKenna, the book’s heroine. That is not to say that I do not sympathize or empathize with Jordan because I do. It just means the I’m not a single mother who suffers from an abusive past. Although, I guess if I really had to pinpoint what it was that struck me so much, then I would have to say it was the situation with Jordan’s father. It’s an absolutely heartbreaking situation, and all I am going to say is that I can relate in at least one way with that situation. I cannot really articulate my experience as well as I would like to.

Anyways, I am going to move on from the heavy stuff and get to the good stuff because I know that is what you all want! Like I said, Jordan McKenna is a single mother (of two extremely adorable daughters) who does not have the happiest track record when it comes to men. Her ex is a no good drunk, and so was her father. If there was ever any man that made her happy, it was Fire Chief Gavin McGuire. Jordan and Gavin were high school sweethearts, but they ended on an unfortunately sour note. Curse silly fears, bastard fathers, and backstabbing friends! When they are reunited (15 freaking years later!!!), there are a million unanswered questions between the two. On top of those questions, both Gavin and Jordan are dealing with their own issues. They have scars that run deep.

I really liked Jordan and Gavin. When I first started reading, I thought the secrets between them were going to remain secrets for far too long (it really annoys me when that happens). But it turns out that they actually get into an “I take no BS from you” situation with each other pretty fast. And because of that, it gets quite steamy in the flower shop freezer! So, there is definitely chemistry between the two characters, and it is EXPLOSIVE!

I love little kids in books–especially when they are as outgoing and silly as Lily and Gracie. And I especially love when big, hunky, and protective men like Gavin get wrapped around a little kid’s finger. I kind of wish there was more Lily and Gracie in the book. Maybe like a scene when Gracie finally spoke to Gavin for the first time? I feel like that would have been a special moment to witness. But we cannot have it all, can we?

You meet some great secondary characters in this book, and I am sure we will being seeing a lot more of some them because Gavin has four more brothers that are dreadfully single (EXCITING!!). Overall, the characters are charming, the pace is perfect, and the plot was unexpectedly unpredictable, which I found refreshing (of course, I could predict a HEA–it is part of the formula, after all). It was a nail-biter at times. Definitely have a few tissues and some Oreos ready with this read!

On a final note, it is obvious that reading is subjective. You are not likely to have the same “big” experience as me with this book where you feel like it came to you at the perfect time. But I can assure you that if you love romance novels–especially second chance romances with cute little kiddies and hot firemen–then you want to pick up Brave the Heat ASAP. I cannot wait to get to know the other McGuire brothers better!

Review originally posted: http://bit.ly/1KhHQ1q
Profile Image for Linda.
1,114 reviews47 followers
September 9, 2015
A second chance at love story with fast-paced, fire-fighting action

A hot man like that was made for more than friendship...

BRAVE THE HEAT by Sara Humphreys is the first intriguing installment in Sara's new The McGuire Brothers series. It's a contemporary romance set in the small town of Old Brookfield, an idyllic New England hamlet. BRAVE THE HEAT is the second chance at love story of Fire Chief Gavin Maguire, aka Captain Hotty Pants McGuire, and Jordan McKenna. I read it in one day as I couldn't put it down once I'd started.

Gavin and Jordan were young lovers fifteen years ago. Then, after an argument, Jordan disappeared, without a word, leaving no trace. Jordan ended up marrying a rich Wall-Streeter and had two beautiful daughters. But all was not roses in that relationship, and Jordan has moved back to Old Brookfield for a new start to be near her parents as her father is ill. Neither Gavin nor Jordan have been able to forget the other. Gavin's dreams ended the day Jordan left and his emotional state where Jordan is concerned can only be described as raw. Is there a do-over in their future?

Gavin is such a sweetheart. He was beyond awesome with Jordan's two girls. I loved his magic tricks! I was pulling for Jordan to give Gavin a chance but could understand her reluctance to take a leap when her girls were involved. Their chemistry jumped off the pages and it was impossible for either of them to deny it. This installment was romantic and suspenseful as there was a fire bug in Old Brooksfield setting fires endangering lives and property. It was over and above scary as the race was on to find the perpetrator as he became more brazen... and deadly.

BRAVE THE HEAT was well-written and populated with an interesting cast of characters. I look forward to reading the stories of the other Maguire brothers. I personally hope that K-9 cop Ronan's is next and I hope his special someone is Jordan's friend, Maddy, who deserves a happy ever after of her own. A bonus is that readers would be treated to Bowser's story along the way. Bowser is Ronan's canine partner. Regardless, each one of the Maguire boys will make swoon worthy heroes. I loved the ending of this book which had me on the edge of my seat one minute and then melting into a puddle the next. If you enjoy second chance at love stories with fast-paced, unnerving, fire-fighting action and featuring sweltering chemistry, you need to pick up BRAVE THE HEAT!

My full review is posted at Reading Between The Wines Book Club. Please check it out here: http://www.readingbetweenthewinesbook...

4 Wine Glasses!
Profile Image for Irene.
1,844 reviews120 followers
August 31, 2015
4.5 starts

Brave the Heat was a beautiful and heartfelt read.

When I started reading Brave the Heat I knew this story was going to touch my heart.

description

Both Jordan and Gavin were such likable and relatable characters, they were each other's first love and even after 15 years apart that love is as strong as it was back then.

I enjoyed watching Gavin slowly open his heart and let Jordan back in, when she ran-away from Old Brookfield all those years ago with no explanation he was left heartbroken and never really moved on. He turned his work into his life and thought he would never experience the loving and happy family life he grew up with.

Jordan had a good reason to leave town the way she did, she knew her actions had hurt Gavin but when she tried to reach out to him her friend tells her he's already moved on. Heartbroken Jordan puts the past behind her and tries to make a new life.
Now divorced with two beautiful sweet little girls she's come back to the town she left behind to make peace with her past.

description

It was heartwarming seeing Gavin and Jordan come together, they had a wonderful and deep connection that left you feeling they were truly meant for each other.

I loved Brave the Heat, it was a beautiful second chance love story with a heartwarming storyline, great writing and characters that make way into your heart. Can't wait to read the rest of the McGuire Brothers stories.

Thank you Sourcebooks Casablanca via Netgalley for the advance copy in exchange for my honest thoughts.
Profile Image for Judy.
693 reviews78 followers
October 7, 2015
Do you like a man in uniform? Meet Gavin, the Fire Chief of Old Brookfield, a small town set on the coast in New England. How about second chance at love stories? Jordan is the girl who got away; and she just moved home, newly divorced, with her two young daughters. Or how about stories of redemption? Jordan has moved back because her father, whom she has been estranged from for years is dying and she wants to confront the past. And let's not forget a dash of mystery - the fires that are being set around town. Who is setting them and why now? Quite a bit going on in this book, yes?

There was lot to enjoy in this first story of the Maguire brothers series. The town and it's occupants definitely have a back seat to the rekindling of Jordan and Gavin's love story, however we get enough set up for follow up books. The clues to who the Firebug was weren't hidden very deep, and the red herrings weren't bad, though I did figure it out before the big reveal. I really liked how smart Jordan was and how she handled herself during the dark turn that had Gavin second guessing their relationship. I really appreciate when a female character isn't just reactive, but is sensible and thinks about what is really going on.

It's funny that I always think of myself as being more into paranormal romances. So although the author's other series in that genre, Dead in the City, is on my list to one day read, it was this contemporary romance that grabbed my attention more. I couldn't help it, I do have a thing for firefighters... and second chances. That being said, the other series has easily slid higher on that someday pile now that I have partaken of and enjoyed the author's talents. I finished this book with a smile on my face and gave it 3 glitter covered stars. (2 young daughters... remember.)

Thanks to Netgalley and Sourcebooks Casablanca for the opportunity to read and review the book.
Profile Image for Amanda R.
724 reviews
September 10, 2015
This review can also be seen on chillreviews.blogspot.com.

I have had such great luck with books lately! This was one that I requested from NetGalley on the spur of the moment, and it was such a great surprise! I'm always a sucker for a lost love found story and this one did not disappoint, plus it's the beginning of a series, about brothers. I mean can you say win?

Alright, so Jordan left town ten years ago. She was freshly graduated, and in love with her high school boyfriend, Gavin. Everything was going great and then suddenly it wasn't. She had to leave and it had to be fast so no one could talk her out of it, not even Gavin. After she left, she thought to come back but certain things happened and so she didn't. She moved to New York to try to become an actress. She married and had two beautiful girls. Now her life in New York is done, shes divorced and she's come home. Who does she see the first day back, Gavin. He looks just as good as he did ten years ago but she has to think about her girls now, no time for romance.

Gavin has had relationships in the ten years since his high school love left and didn't look back but he hasn't forgotten her. She's been in his mind and he just can't get rid of her. Now she's home and he wants to rekindle things but she's putting the kibosh on it. Gavin agrees that they can be friends, he's got issues of his own going on so it's easy to accept for now. Dealing with an arson in town is making things miserable though.

I seriously inhaled this book. It took me a short amount of time and it's stuck with me. I enjoyed seeing their relationship evolve and grow. Jordan's daughters were adorable and so hard not to love. I did want to smack Gavin a couple of times, he took everything that was going on in life as his fault. He carried burdens for things he had no control over. This book was so good and I look forward to more from this author and this family! Leave love in the form of a review for the author.
Profile Image for Kortney.
218 reviews1 follower
September 12, 2015
This is the first book that I have read of Sara Humphrey's so I was not sure what to expect in regards to her writing and story telling. I found that her books both contained deep gut wrenching stories but also was able to incorporate humor in the write places. Sara did a great job of developing the characters so that you felt like you really understood them and their past. She also did a great job of incorporating new characters that could be used for future books. In addition, I think she also did a great job of developing and setting the scene of the book. From what you read the town seemed just like any other small town in the US that you would like to live in.

What I really enjoyed about this book was that she didn't go over the top with things. She kept a steady pace for the book, keeping the chapters just long enough not to drag on. I found that I really enjoyed the friendships that she created between the main characters and other characters as it made the story more that just about a love story. Lastly, I enjoyed the mystery that she had in the book about the fires that were being set. This allowed the reader the opportunity to try and solve if the fires were by accident or if someone was intentionally setting them.

If I were to change anything in the book I would say I would have put more scenes of Jordan and her father interacting. I found that she talked about it a fair amount in the beginning of the book but when it got to the point of them seeing each other it stalemated after that. I think it is definitely something that was not a big loss because it wasn't a huge part of the story but something that would have definitely added more to the story and make it complete.

I am very interested to read more in this series and the author. Can't wait for the next book!
Profile Image for Tracy.
857 reviews
August 1, 2016
I'm a sucker for a second chance at love story - and one that is packed with action and intrigue as well as a hit of heat and romance definitely piques my interest!!!

Jordan runs back to the place and the people that she ran from to escape her abusive father years ago - it broke her to leave it all behind but she made the best of things, even if it meant never seeing the boy she loved. Now she returns to lick her wounds after a divorce and to begin a new life with her two little girls.
The hurt and heartbreak that Gavin suffered when Jordan left years ago is understandable but his need and resolve to take care of her and her daughters, regardless of what happened in their past, was instinctual and nigh on unstoppable.

The story moved along quite quickly and the mystery surrounding the fires was interesting and kept me guessing through the read.

The supporting characters were all really likeable and I'm looking forward to finding out more about Gavin's family!

'Brave the Heat' was a really good read. I liked both Gavin & Jordan from the outset and from the get go hoped that they could rekindle their love and passion - but with a series of fires and mysterious goings on happening all around them I began to wonder if they would get the chance to work things out and get to know each other again!

Sara Humphreys started this new series with, what was for me, a 5* read that I would definitely recommend and I can't wait to get my hands on more of the McGuire Brothers!

** I received a copy of Brave the Heat from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review **
Profile Image for Danielle.
340 reviews234 followers
September 11, 2015
Second chance romances are usually hit or miss for me... On the one hand, watching two people come back together after some time apart can be a magical thing to witness, but on the other hand, sometimes it's hard to feel the connection between them when you weren't privy to their past relationship... Which is what happened with me and Brave the Heat.

Individually, I really enjoyed both Jordan and Gavin and couldn't help but root for them and their HEA, but as a couple? I had a really hard time feeling that connection, especially since they spent so much of the book apart. And the pushing away on Gavin's part? Definitely ruined it for me. Luckily, the ending was great so it almost, ALMOST, made up for it... But not quite.

So what's it all about? Jordan and Gavin have been friends since they were kids, fell in love as teens, and ultimately broke each others hearts. Jordan left home without a backward glance and hasn't been home since but now her dad is dying, she's recently divorced, and she's ready for a fresh start.

Even though they have always loved each other, there are definitely some hurt feelings between them and their coming together again isn't all sunshine and rainbows. Add a firebug, some ex drama, and a dying parent who made your life hell to the mix and these two definitely have some obstacles to overcome.

Overall, while I can't exactly say that I loved Brave the Heat, it was still an okay read and I'm looking forward to checking out the next book in the series.

*ARC kindly provided in exchange for an honest review.
Profile Image for Shauni.
1,061 reviews27 followers
November 25, 2015
Originally Reviewed For: Tea and Book

Sara Humphreys writes sizzle, she writes PNR, she writes about Vampires and shifters and maybe a little erotica.. but does Sara Humphreys write pure romance? Heck Yeah! Brave the Heat is book one in her new Series, The McGuire Brothers and once again Ms. Humphreys hit it out of the park.

I knew this would be a good book, Sara has a definite talent what I didn't expect was blow you out of the ballpark good! This was what we have to call a swoonworthy book and totally worth the read.

After a traumatic childhood, Jordan McKenna ran as fast and as far as she could. Leaving behind the one man she thought she would love forever. After a bad marriage and a few other sad circumstances, Jordan is back with two children in tow. Is there a chance for forever for her?

Fire Chief Gavin Maguire loved Jordan McKenna with everything he was. She was his morning and night and when she left town, left him, he was devastated. Never quite sure why she left him, Gavin is a little leery of re connecting. She destroyed him once can he trust her back in his life?

Two people who were meant for each other, two people who tried living without the other, now it's time for them to realize that they are better together than apart. Only they need to let go of the old hurts and focus on new dreams..

Just a sweet, swoon... I honestly loved this book.. Sara just can't go wrong..

Shauni

This review is based on the ARC of Brave the Heat, provided by netgalley
Profile Image for Kassiah.
798 reviews85 followers
January 2, 2016
This review is also posted on Pretty Sassy Cool.

I put this on my TBR way back in March. We had an interview with Sarah Humphreys then, and I totally loved her after that.

I love reunion stories, and this one had a twist that I don't usually see: she left, breaking his heart. It's usually the other way around! So, about this story. Ten years ago, Jordan left her high school sweetheart, Gavin. She went to NYC, tried her hand at acting, got married and had two kids. She's back in town (recently divorced and caring for her dying father) and quickly reunites with Gavin, who is now the fire chief and hotter than ever. At first, she just wants to be friends, but you know that doesn't last long.

The characters are funny and realistic, and I loved their history together. I love that Gavin wasn't a jerk to her, and I loved seeing him with her kids. He was so sweet! Even though this story is relatively fluffy, there is some suspense and a little bit of drama. The story didn't feel rushed or unrealistic, and I liked pretty much everything about it. It wasn't very steamy, and that's really my only complaint.

If you love second-chance-at love stories and hot firemen, you'll really like Brave the Heat!
Profile Image for bookaholic ge.
799 reviews10 followers
September 27, 2015
Jordan McKenna has returned to town after her marriage has gone down hill. Newly divorced and ready to start her life over with her children, she is ready to let go of her past. Jordan knows that she has to stay focused for her children but one man from her past makes her want to remember how things were and how they could have been...

Fire Chief Gavin Maguire was in love with Jordan McKenna when they were younger but his heart was broken when she left and he's never been able to put it back together again.

When Jordan comes back into town Gavin knows that he has to find out just what happened to make Jordan leave him. But how Can Gavin get his answers and work on rebuilding their love when fires are breaking out all over town? Read and find out!

I received this book as an ARC from Net Galley for my honest review

Sara Humphreys is usually my paranormal romance Guru so I was super excited to see this contemporary romance novel. I really like this book and everything that it had to offer. Gavin and Jordan where such interesting characters, they both had enough going on in their lives that you were immediately intrigued.

This book is selling right now for 6.15 on Kindle Amazon, the cover is just as sweet and romantic as the story and Humphreys does not fail to impress. Great job can't wait for the next book.
Profile Image for Michelle Eriksen.
874 reviews12 followers
September 1, 2015
Brave the heat is book one of the McGuire Brother Series and let me tell you this series is off to a great start. Ms Humphreys had me hooked right from the beginning with the super hot Fire Chief Gavin Maguire who is still thinking of his first love that got away, but when he accidently runs into her and finds out she is back in town and recently divorced all bets are off. Unfortunately the demands of his job and some suspicious activity may get in the way of them discovering true love once again.

Jordan and her little girls will capture your hearts and pull at the strings with their backstory. They have moved back to town to get away from Jordan's ex and to be with her mother and dying father. She never stopped loving Gavin, but so much time has passed and she has to put her little girls first in her life now.

I loved this book right from the start and I can't wait to meet more of those sexy McGuire men in the books to come.
Profile Image for Franjessca .
1,206 reviews81 followers
April 23, 2016
Full Review posted at Book Lovin' Mamas

If you enjoy second chance relationships with some very sexy romantic moments, Brave the Heat is that book for you. Oh, and if you love a very sexy Fire Chief, who will be hard to forget then Brave the Heat is definitely for you. I could go on and on with the many reasons why readers should pick up this book. I'll leave it with this...you'll love every bit of this story and you'll be wanting the other McGuires stories immediately afterwards. ***Sara definitely introduced the other brothers perfectly in the story. Each one of them is a character that will be unforgettable.
Displaying 1 - 30 of 134 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.