Start by marking “Listening to voices” as Want to Read:
Listening to voices

Listening to voices

When Anna married Ian and became a mother to his daughter, Jessie, she knew she was taking a risk.

She was aware of his past: of his former wife, Hester, whose campaign of harassment had ended when she was sectioned.

But only when the menacing phone calls and vitriolic letters begin to come does Anna catch a chilling glimpse of Hester's world…

A world where Anna is the ene
Published January 6th 2015 by Endeavour Press

To ask other readers questions about Listening to voices, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Listening to voices

Ellen
Apr 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Listening to Voices was a book I couldn't put down. Sara MacDonald develops her characters in a way that one feels like she knows them and interweaves their personal lives with a fascinating plot.

A perfect book for when you want to relax and forget about everything else.

Ellen Besso
Author of An Indian Sojourn &
Surviving Eldercare
Facebook: AuthorEllenBesso
Apr 20, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Listening to Voices is a very chilling read. It actually left goosebumps up my arms.

The storyline is really good and pulls you in from the start. The story is told by 3 different people, Anna, Ian and Hester. Ian and Hester have a daughter Jessie but due to Hester's mental unstability the marriage broke down and Ian has now moved on and is now remarried to Anna. Unfortunately Ian, Anna and Jessie struggle to get on with their lives as Hester manages to find where ever they move to and constantly
Anne
Aug 07, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This excellent book tells of Ian's attempts to come to terms with how he treated his mentally ill former wife, the struggles involved in holding together the new family when his ex-wife is released to care in the community, and the new wife Anna's efforts to hold things - including herself - together when the ex-wife forces herself back into their lives. Told in turn by Ian, Anna and the ex-wife Hester, the voices are strong and clear and never anything other than convincing. The build up to the ...more
Sandra M Stott
Jul 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Five stars

This book is beautifully written and easy to read. It is told by the three main characters in short, interlocking chapters.

The people in the story are not stereotypes but individually drawn, each with their own weaknesses and foibles. The plot is quite dark but really well thought out and executed.

If I could give this book ten stars, I would!
Maggie
Mar 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
it took me a while to decide if this was just good or 'really' good. I decided it was really good! I couldn't put it down as I got to the last third as I knew something was building but wasn't sure what. I'll be looking out for more from this author.
Mrs C Harris
Aug 31, 2017
Laura Thatcher
Feb 07, 2017
« previous 1 3 next »
Much of my life has been as a gypsy without roots.

I travelled as a child, went to many schools, ending my education in a strict Catholic convent in Malta while my parents lived in Cyprus.

I was set on an acting career and after working as an ASM in The Theatre Royal Windsor I won a place at the London Academy of Music and Drama.

My acting career was brief. I went off to Germany, Norway, Sharjah, the