Start by marking “The Calvin and Hobbes Lazy Sunday Book” as Want to Read:
The Calvin and Hobbes Lazy Sunday Book

The Calvin and Hobbes Lazy Sunday Book (Calvin and Hobbes)

4.66  ·  Rating details ·  18,910 Ratings  ·  191 Reviews
Find Sunday comic favorites in this classic Calvin and Hobbes collection.

This is a collection of the classic comic strip that features Calvin, a rambunctious 6-year-old boy, and his stuffed tiger, Hobbes, who comes charmingly to life. Filled with a Watterson’s full-page Sunday strips, this collection is sure to please fans and newcomers alike.
Published 1989 by Andrews McMeel Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Calvin and Hobbes Lazy Sunday Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Calvin and Hobbes Lazy Sunday Book

K.D. Absolutely
Apr 15, 2012 rated it it was ok
I enjoyed reading this book. Witty and funny with colorful well-drawn images. There are only 5 characters: 4 y/o Calvin; his stuff toy tiger and lone playmate Hobbes who in Calvin's wild imagination can turn into a live precocious and sometimes silly tiger; Suzie who is a girl reaching out for Calvin but gets bullied by Calvin because he seems to be contented playing with Hobbes and there is a stage in a boy's life when girls are yucky; Calvin's father; and Calvin's mother.

Even if there are only
A. Dawes
Apr 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics-humour
This book is a treasure chest of the full colour old-school Sunday Comics. While it doesn't have the ongoing storylines of the black and white Calvin & Hobbes, which allow for strong characterisation and captivating narrative arcs, these Sunday comics are wonderful in their own unique way.

The humour is sharp and the philosophising is done in effective short bites. What's more the illustrations display Bill Watterson's serious artistic talent.

Marvellous work.
Melissa McShane
Mar 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, humor, comics
This loses its impact if you've read some of the other collections, as it duplicates many of those, but the strips themselves are still charming.
Juan (He who reads!) Manuel
Disclaimer: the notes you're about to read were extracted from this book and I do not intend to take personal credit for any of them:

Watterson is so damn intelligent :) ...

Calvin : I call this “lookout” hill
Hobbes: Yes you can certainly see far from up here
Calvin: I call it “lookout” hill Because that’s what you yell whenever we go down it.
Calvin: You Know, sometimes it seems things go by too Quickly.
Calvin: We’re so busy watching out for what’s just ahead of us that we don’t take the time to e
Natalie
I made a great choice in actually reading this on a Sunday. A post-holiday, no obligations, lazy Sunday.

It's been years since I've picked up a Calvin and Hobbes book. It felt how (I imagine) reuniting with an old friend would feel. Cozy and comfortable yet slightly different through (older) adult eyes. An example of seeing things differently through (older) adult eyes:
Days go by and we hardly notice them. Life becomes a blur. Often it takes some calamity to make us live in the present. Then su
Kevin Xu
Jan 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: re-read
first book that I have ever found!
Abhishek
Jun 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Spaceman Spiff, Stupendous Man, Calvin the Tyrannosaurus... the kid's imagination has no ends, no bounds, no limits! Laws of the universe held sacred for centuries bend to his will if he wants to. The Creator of the Worlds is the Destroyer of the Worlds... and he is Calvin! Hats off to Bill Watterson for creating one of the best partnerships in the comic world, an undying friendship that does moisten your eyes once in a while, a relationship of love and sarcasm that makes you laugh so hard that ...more
PurplyCookie
"The Calvin and Hobbes Lazy Sunday Book" opens with Calvin's 10-page adventure as Spaceman Spiff, interplanetary explorer extraordinaire, with one mission in mind: to destroy all aliens, which in real life, are disguised as his mother and Susie. Very funny stuff.

Yet Calvin's wild imagination doesn't stop there. For the rest of the colorful 100+ pages, he agitates his parents mercilessly, particularly his father; while with his mother, he adversely chokes down every disgusting meal she cooks, ma
Julie
Dec 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I miss Calvin and Hobbes. Stopped reading comics altogether when it stopped. Nothing compares...
Michael
Mar 04, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This book is as the title suggests... lazy and beautiful, AND in full color!! Nice.
Kayleen
Aug 24, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Comics for very smart people. If you haven't read these you should check them out.
Mark
Oct 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Culled from the Sunday papers, where apparently the comics are given more space allowing the artist to work outside of the regular 3-4 panel layout (and use more colours), this series of stand-alone pages are typically, wonderfully Watterson. Opening with a beautifully painted image of our heroes, walking through a snowy field, highlights for me include monsters under the bed, the intricacies of two-man baseball, the joy of giving a tiger a scratch, losing against Hobbes at Monopoly, Calvin’s Da ...more
Pooja
Jul 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ebooks
When Calvin is thrown out of his house, to do all this work outside, leaving his Mom calm and let her do the kitchen and dishes, and our intrepid hero Calvin goes to his interplanetory explorer extraordinaire!!

He's out to kill mercilessly, all the aliens that are dangerous to him and coming in his way, specially the loathsome bat-webbed booger being who in planet Earth's version is also known as Susie and who also happens to be Calvin's classmate and to him an annoying creature.

The Bogger being
Jessica
I'd never really picked up a Calvin and Hobbes book before, though I did love the strips I happened upon. These are all in color, the pages are bigger than usual, and the paper is a bit thicker. It's a beautiful edition that I got for my birthday this year, and I decided to take the following day -- a lazy Valentine's Day Sunday -- to read it. It is pretty awesome.
Calvin's imagination is unique, and this book shows a lot of it. It's got stories set in every season. It's got incredible friendship
Nathaniel
Aug 15, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I LOVE this book. LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOO

(two hours later)

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Amirtha Shri
Jan 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A great book for a lazy Sunday, indeed. The edition had a lot more spaceman Spiff comics than casual philosophy, so more laughter and lesser thoughts. I loved the little epilogue by Watterson.
Brianne
May 18, 2014 rated it liked it
Cute. Perfect for those nights where I just need a little light something before bed. :)
Valerie
Not surprisingly, this is primarily a collection of Sunday strips. I say 'primarily', because I think Watterson regarded the covers, end pages, introductions, etc as an entertaining challenge, and seems to've taken pleasure in creating new strips and tableaux for the collections. Even if you have the newspaper strips in other books, it's worth adding this to your collection for the additional material.

In an afterword, Watterson casts back to days when Sunday cartoons were large, often multipanel
Conan Tigard
Nov 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Unlike all of the previously released collections of Calvin and Hobbes comic strips, this one is all color and all Sunday strips. There are no storylines, as those are reserved for the daily comic strips. Still, this is a wonderful collection of funnies that will tickle your funny bone.

Calvin is eternal. He is ageless and will be enjoyed by many generations to come. At school, I see elementary grade students reading Calvin and Hobbes books during silent reading periods, and it takes me back to
Pedro
Jan 31, 2008 rated it it was amazing
All the time I pick up any Calvin and Hobbes collections I lose myself for an hour. I still laugh as hard as I did the first time I read them. I always related to Calvin, in the sense that he is a loner and he does not care. I always was a type of loner in which I could never stay put with the same set of friends because getting to involved with people meant that you lost time with yourself. I would always (and 'til this day, I will admit) imagine myself in another place or silly situations, and ...more
B
Jan 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Calvin and Hobbes caught my attention as a small child, and even though I didn’t always get all of the more adult jokes, I still enjoyed them. After a few years of reading, I appreciated more and more and even now, as an adult, I enjoy the creativity and joy Calvin finds in every situation of life.

After reading every book of Calvin and Hobbes, I would recommend them to anyone who wants to find the joys of a simple life and I look forward to sharing them with my own boys when they are a bit olde
B
Jan 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing

Greg
Jul 30, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Yet another among the books published by Bill Watterson from the Calvin and Hobbes comic strip that I have enjoyed. My children have literally worn out these collections of C&H comics, and with good reason. C&H is a unique blend of homespun philosophy, side-splitting humor, and insight into the human (child and adult) condition. Watterson's insights into, and sly digs at, various social, familial, and other institutions of modern life are masterful.
Kaethe
Jul 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics, beloved
The Offspring have recently shared the Calvin and Hobbes love. Is it genetic, or actually universal?
Kyla Brady
Oct 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
An easy read that makes you re-evaluate your perspective of life.
Coolcat
May 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great!
Kora Kaos
Sep 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
You simply can not not love Calvin and Hobbes!
Paul Baker
Sep 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cartoon
The best of Calvin and Hobbes Sunday newspaper cartoons. If you've read the collections, you've probably seen most of these cartoons.
Enzo
May 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great Comic My most favorite comic series
James
Mar 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Always good for a laugh and some insight. A book from my childhood that I owned.
  • The Far Side Gallery 4
  • At Least This Place Sells T-Shirts:  A FoxTrot Collection
  • Bloom County: Loose Tails
Bill Watterson (born William Boyd Watterson II) is an American cartoonist, and the author of the comic strip "Calvin and Hobbes". His career as a syndicated cartoonist ran from 1985 to 1995; he stopped drawing "Calvin and Hobbes" at the end of 1995 with a short statement to newspaper editors and his fans that he felt he had achieved all he could in the comic strip medium. During the early years of ...more
More about Bill Watterson...

Calvin and Hobbes (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Calvin and Hobbes