Start by marking “Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Harry Potter, #1)” as Want to Read:
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Harry Potter, #1)

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

(Harry Potter #1)

4.46  ·  Rating details ·  5,594,220 Ratings  ·  89,185 Reviews
The beloved first book of the Harry Potter series, now fully illustrated by award-winning artist Jim Kay.

For the first time, J.K. Rowling's beloved Harry Potter books will be presented in lavishly illustrated full-color editions. Kate Greenaway-award winning artist Jim Kay has created over 100 stunning illustrations, making this deluxe format a perfect gift as much for a c
Hardcover, US Illustrated Edition , 246 pages
Published October 6th 2015 by Arthur A. Levine Books (first published June 26th 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, please sign up.
Olivia YESSS!!!! It is definitely worth reading the books because, the thing is, you DON'T know what's going to happen. They leave loads of things out of the…moreYESSS!!!! It is definitely worth reading the books because, the thing is, you DON'T know what's going to happen. They leave loads of things out of the movies so the books are much more interesting. You should definitely read the books.(less)
Alyssandra In the United States, the term philosopher commonly refers to a scholar of philosophy, rather than an alchemist or magician.

Rowling and her American…more

Rowling and her American editors decided to change the name to Sorcerer because it had a deeper magical presence and would not misinform U.S. audiences of Flamel's occupation.

You can read a bit more about the change here: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0241527/f...(less)

Lora
Jun 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who is still waiting to read it
Recommended to Lora by: Tina, Morgan, my own curiosity
I'm going to keep this brief since there isn't much to say that hasn't already been said. *clears throat*
I think the reason I waited so long to read this series is because I just couldn't imagine myself enjoying reading about an eleven-year-old boy and his adventures at a school of wizardry. I thought it would be too juvenile for my taste. I was wrong, of course.
I can honestly say that I loved every minute of this. It's a spectacular little romp with funny, courageous, and endearing characters t
★ Jess
My original review was a comparison of sorts between Harry Potter and Twilight. However, this is stupid as the two are incomparable. Honestly, its not even worth discussing. Its not just that Twilight doesn't come close, it is the fact that Harry Potter transcends other similar works. Its peerless. To quote Samuel L. Jackson in Pulp Fiction: It "ain't the same fuckin' ballpark, it ain't the same league, it ain't even the same fuckin' sport."

There was a day when I thought I needed to defend Harr
Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
Rereading for the 3rd time for the group read.

Once upon a time, there was a 10th grader named Khanh who didn't get along with people very well. She wasn't an outcast in school, and all the bullying and teasing stopped with the commencement of high school, but she had always been a bookworm and has generally preferred the company of her own thoughts.

Lunchtime had always been dedicated not to eating, but to sitting in the library, browsing through books.

(Not to worry, she got her nutrition in 5th
Colleen Hoover
Apr 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm on page 27. I can already tell this is going to be a big hit someday. Everyone take note of this author. He's going places.
Couldn't find him on Twitter, though. Wanted to tell him how great I thought page 23 was.
Kat O'Keeffe
Dec 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
IT'S HARRY FREAKIN POTTER OF COURSE I LOVE IT

*reread in March 2017 (for the first time in like 5 years)(STILL WONDERFUL)
Lily C
I've FINALLY read a Harry Potter book!!!

(Watch my review here): https://youtu.be/oUZ0EMsggSk
Zoë
Jun 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Update September 2016: Currently rereading this series again! (I need to sort out my priorities.)

I will never ever rate this lower than 5 stars. BEAUTIFUL.
Sasha Alsberg
Aug 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Why the heck did I not read Harry Potter before now...its flipping magical (literally)!
Voldemort
Aug 14, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This is a disgrace to all pure bloods. My head looked quite dashing on that strange professor's head.. If only I could have extended my stay. Harry Potter.. This is not over yet.
Navessa
Mar 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

There are no words to do this book justice.
Raeleen Lemay
Jun 26, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: EVERYONE
Review for Illustrated Edition

Perfect. Duh.

Re-Read in December 2014 for Harry Christmas To You

OH LORDY. Every time I read this book it brings back so many memories, and also gets me excited to read the rest of the series again as well because there is so much foreshadowing!!

For example:
-Sirius Black is casually mentioned in the first chapter
-Mrs. Figg is talked about a bit, as she looks after Harry from time to time (or all the time, ayyyy?)
-it always cracks me up when Hagrid says you'd have
Miranda Reads
Can you hear me screaming?

As expected, the illustrations brought this book to a whole new level. I legitimately want to buy another copy, solely to take it apart and frame it.

Each page is just bursting with new life. Honestly, how could you not love such beautiful images?
description
I just can't get over how much detail is present in these pictures!
I think at this point, everyone and their great-great-grandmother has heard of this book.

Harry Potter, orphaned before he was one, was sent to live with his
Val Shameless ⚓️ Steamy Reads ⚓️
***Because I got hate in the comments for OMG swearing in a children's book review (which I get, I guess...), DON'T READ THIS IF YOU ARE UNDER 18. Happy now, everyone?***

Well, I did it. I FINALLY read my first Harry Potter book...and in the same year as its 20th anniversary no less.

But better late than never, no?

Annnnd I already ordered the illustrated hardback.
And asked for the full hardcover set for Christmas.
From my dad.
Because nothing says, “I’m a thirty-fucking-five-year-old adult” like
Hannah
Dec 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
Perfection
Victoria Schwab
Nov 08, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Doing a listen of the entire series, Stephen Fry edition.
Matthew
Jan 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my first jobs was at a bookstore. When I was a kid my Mom would take me to the mall and I would spend tons of time hanging out at Waldenbooks (who here remembers Waldenbooks?) Right when I became legally old enough to work, I went in and submitted my application and a few weeks later I was selling literature to the masses.

Why do I tell you this story on this review, you ask? Well, at the time, young adult/teen literature consisted mainly of RL Stein, Christopher Pike, Beverly Cleary, Judy
Mohammed Arabey
Sep 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's Always Great, Coming back Home..

There's a reason us, the Fans, feel that we're connected, no matter where we from, different culture, ethics, ages..we're all graduated from there..

..Hogwarts.. even like we were in same class,classmates, no matter which edition we read..

..Cause Harry Potter is not just a story..it's a Life..

The Boy Who Saved Flourished the Book Industry
It's One of the most important novels in modern history, Sorry, it's The Most Important ONE.
This Review also for those who h
Stephen
On my list of reasons why my daughters are the bestest thing to ever happen to me, Number 14,577 is that they gave me, at 41 years old, the perfect excuse to revisit the Harry Potter series.

When my oldest angel told me she wanted to start reading the Harry Potter books, I couldn’t have been happier. As I was collecting all seven volumes off the shelf to bring up to her room, I started feeling nostalgic for the whole Hogwarts gang, and I realized that I’d never done more than a perfunctory revie
K.D. Absolutely
Jan 27, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to K.D. by: Purplycookie, Jzhun and Ruby
Shelves: 501, childrens
How can more than half of my Goodreads friends be wrong with this?

I have to get this right. As of this writing, I have 98 Goodreads friends. 61 (62%) of them have read J. K. Rowling's Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone. Out of those who read this, 39 (64%) rated this with 5 stars. 11 of them with 4 stars. All the others gave 3 or 2. Only 2 rated this with 1 star. One of them admitted not being able to finish it. She should not have rated it really since she did not read its entirety. (But she
Maggie
Aug 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
❝This boy will be famous. There won't be a child in our world who doesn't know his name.❞

Everyone grew up with Harry Potter. They read all the books when they were young and watched all the films. They would re-watch and re-read them. They would fall in love with the Wizarding World and would completely adore Harry, Ron, and Hermione. They would talk about them non stop, about Hogwarts, about its teachings, about them wanting to become students there and pretending they are, about joining the
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
Re-Read 2017

MY BLOG: Melissa Martin's Reading List

I'M GOING TO ADD MY BIG OLE SPOILER THING FOR THOSE THAT HAVEN'T READ THESE BOOKS YET. I'M ALSO GOING TO ADD A FEW PICTURES THAT ARE IN THE BOOK SO YOU CAN SEE HOW BEAUTIFUL IT IS AND RUN OUT AND BUY IT, IF YOU HAVEN'T ALREADY!

LET US BEGIN!

Poor Harry's parents were killed by VOLDEMORT! Yep, I said it :-) So Dumbledore (the head honcho) and the gang decide to leave Harry with his mother's sister, Aunt Petunia and Uncle Vernon and their brat of a s
Kai
“There are some things you can't share without ending up liking each other, and knocking out a twelve-foot mountain troll is one of them.”

Harry Potter is the most amazing series that I have ever read in my whole life, and it probably forever will be. I will never love any books as much as I love these. I don't think I have to tell you guys about how good this book is because most of you have already read it anyway.

I haven't written a review so far because I just did not feel the need to put this
Oct 23, 2007 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction-is-fun
Yes, I've been living under a rock.
Luca Ambrosino
Nov 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: ALL
ENGLISH (Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone) / ITALIANO

Let me dream.

I'm reading for the first time this book to my daughter (6 years old), but for me (37 years old) it's the third time I read "Harry Potter and the philosopher's stone". Everyone should read this book, if only to realize why the phenomenon "Harry Potter" has spread. With an essential and enjoyable style, J.K. Rowling catapults the reader into a fantasy world, populated by wizards and flying broomsticks, unicorns and talking

Bookdragon Sean
Here are three reasons why Harry Potter rocks my socks:

1.A Better World

One of the main reasons Harry Potter is so wonderful is because Rowling shows you a boring world; it is the world of reality, dry, boring and ordinary. Then under it she reveals fantasy; she reveals everything a reader longs for: she reveals pure escapism. I still want to go to Hogwarts. I always will.

description

2. We’re all a bit like Harry

Okay so not many of us are orphans, and not many of us are practically abused in their own homes
Jayson
(A-) 83% | Very Good
Notes: Despite a weak climax, it’s a delightful read: an excellent introduction to its richly layered, wildly imaginative world.
Inge
This doesn't really need a review, does it?

This series is brilliant and it will live on forever in our hearts and minds.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Wil Wheaton
Apr 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As wonderful and magical as promised. Because I didn't remember the movie, the third act of the book was a delightful surprise to me.

I wish I'd had this book when I was a kid, because the idea that someone could be special without knowing it, and then get to visit a special world where the things that made him different were the same things that made him awesome would have been really inspiring to me.

Anne's finishing this, too, and I have to wait for her before I start in on the second book ...
Change the 1 letter 8390 2796 20 minutes ago
BOOK Name quiz - same rules as movie-name quiz... (plays included) 31445 8680 2 hours, 13 min ago
Word Game! 142 97 Nov 13, 2018 05:21AM
What character do you think your most like in Harry Potter ? 53 189 Nov 10, 2018 09:15AM
House Elimination 16 34 Nov 10, 2018 08:25AM
"New" to reading! What series after Harry Potter?! 1 5 Nov 09, 2018 06:33PM
Wedding Readings from Literature 1 6 Nov 09, 2018 05:05AM
  • The Woman Who Rides Like a Man (Song of the Lioness, #3)
  • The White Dragon (Pern, #3)
  • Feathered Serpent, Part 1 (Tennis Shoes, #3)
  • The Lost Colony (Artemis Fowl, #5)
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Prisoner's Dilemma (The Mysterious Benedict Society, #3)
  • Molly Moon's Incredible Book of Hypnotism (Molly Moon, #1)
  • Blood of Elves (The Witcher, #3)
  • The Raging Fires (Merlin Saga, #3)
  • The Field Guide (The Spiderwick Chronicles, #1)
  • The Legend of Luke (Redwall, #12)
  • The Mark of Athena (The Heroes of Olympus, #3)
  • Rebel Angels (Gemma Doyle, #2)
  • Rise of the Evening Star (Fablehaven, #2)
  • Dragons of Autumn Twilight  (Dragonlance: Chronicles, #1)
  • The Homeward Bounders
  • The Iron Ring
  • Calling on Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #3)