Start by marking “Web Scraping with Python: A Comprehensive Guide to Data Collection Solutions” as Want to Read:
Web Scraping with Python: A Comprehensive Guide to Data Collection Solutions

Web Scraping with Python: A Comprehensive Guide to Data Collection Solutions

Learn web scraping and crawling techniques to access unlimited data from any web source in any format. With this practical guide, you’ll learn how to use Python scripts and web APIs to gather and process data from thousands—or even millions—of web pages at once.

Ideal for programmers, security professionals, and web administrators familiar with Python, this book not only te
Paperback, 1st Edition, 238 pages
Published April 25th 2015 by O'Reilly Media

To ask other readers questions about Web Scraping with Python, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Web Scraping with Python

Start your review of Web Scraping with Python: A Comprehensive Guide to Data Collection Solutions
karzee
Mar 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Since I started the semester and I have been reading internet scraping and network security books.
All the books use the example of two arbitrary people Alice and Bob exchanging information.And these examples have been getting better and funnier and weirder.
Somehow,I don't know why,but it's maybe because I love reading books or I love fiction,my mind has been looking for patterns in these books between Bob and Alice.
My conclusion is that these two are government spies and are knee-deep in cover
Cliff Chew
May 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you ever want to collect amounts of data off the Internet through Web Scraping, please read this book. If you have done some web scraping, this book provides extremely useful nuggets of information to further enhance your web scraping capabilities. Faced some web scrapping blocker practices? This book has a great section on how to make your scrapper look more "human"!

To balance things out, the author even included a section on the ethics of web scrapping, which is something that ever web scr
Sebastian
Mar 15, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a great text spanning most of the tools, methods and philosophies underpinning web scraping.

It's main problem is a lack of identity: is it teaching web scraping to those with one or two simple tasks, looking to just dip their toe in, or those looking to build production quality web scrapers for large scale tasks? As such it jumps to and fro in the tools it suggests. The start of the book seems lightweight and much of it is replaced by recommendations later in the text. This could be made
Joshua Hruzik
Mar 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
The books gives a good general introduction to BeautifulSoup (which is used for webscraping). However, the focus is too heavily skewed towards less important topics. I would have loved to get more details on BeautifulSoup functions and not about data import to csv etc. since most readers would already have some experience with these sort of tasks.
Sean
May 17, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A solid overview of web scraping with python. Python is currently the most widely used language for web scraping, and this book gives an overview of how to do it. There are minor errors throughout the text, but the author stated she will fix them in the next edition. If you want a book to read through on scraping rather than exercising your Google search skills, this is the book to get.
Leonardo
Nov 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-digital
Excelente libro, completo y bien explicado. Creo que puede ser una buena iniciación al scraping para cualquiera que tenga un poco de conocimiento de Python. Me sorprendió que los temas que cubre fueron casi exactamente a los que me fui enfrentando por mi cuenta tratando de resolver los problemas que se me presentaban a la hora de buscar información en internet. Hubiera sido de gran ayuda arrancar por acá, aunque tal vez no hubiera entendido nada si hubiera sido así.

Es de gran ayuda la página we
Vikram
May 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book contains wisdom and methods that have been refined by the author after having to webscrape for what might be years. The starting few chapters of the book, while introducing new things, can often feel like a cookbook, which the author finds is a concise way to write code to minimise the work. While those snippets of code can be a boon for some, for me, they took away the creativity of coding. But I will go back to see them once I have had years of experience in scraping to realise what ...more
Kerszi
Feb 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Przydatna książka, w której jest opisane, jak sprawnie wyciągać dane ze stron www.
Do ekstrakcji danych autorka głównie się skupia na bibliotekach beatiful soup i selenium języka Python.
Przy okazji poznajemy wyrażenia regularne i sposoby łączenia/zapisywania/itd z bazą MySql.
Na koniec jest opisana w bardzo ciekawy sposób legalność ekstrakcji danych.
Książkę będę traktować jako pomoc w swoich projektach.

Polecam.
Byrne
Mar 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A nice introduction to the basics of scraping. Reading this before your first scraping project will probably save you a lot of time and frustration--it's basically a compendium of the basics plus everything you wouldn't know how to search Stack Overflow for. It covers the basics (just grabbing simple HTML and parsing with BeautifulSoup) and touches on more advanced topics (using a headless browser like PhantomJS to parse modern, AJAX-y pages).

If you're more experienced, I'd recommend flipping t
Max
Jun 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Useful.
Marcus Österberg
Bra bok men lite irriterande att det slutliga kodexemplet av ngrams inte fungerar (också kollat bokens kod på Github utan framgång).
Loc Nguyen
Dec 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: algo-trading
Good book for learning web scraping quickly.
Akash Nidhi P S
A decent book to intro to webscraping, gives highlevel overall view of the webscraping world.
Ed Terrell
Apr 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018
Well written, hands on analysis of how the web works and how to extract information from it--even when it appears in multiple sites and multiple forms. Very inciteful!
RorSpike
Jan 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: coding
入门教程,但非常全面
Tudor
Nov 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good introduction for the topic with Python, but for more advanced topics is better to follow the official documentation of the tools that the author use in the text.
Ana
Mar 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A really good introduction to web scraping with Python, this book has saved me a lot time writing my first scraping project. (Also, loved the War and Peace references).
Ferhat Culfaz
Feb 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good introduction to web scraping giving you all the tools and relevant libraries you need depending on your application.
Hasan Basri AKIRMAK
Practical guide

Practical guide on scraping tools, libraries for text and image data processing as well as do’s don’t do’s for a project.
Toprak D.
Mar 04, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: computer
Very good introduction.
Gives hints and little bit lore of python which always pleasant.
Since you can see the output of what you ride away with web scraping, this is a good book for starting programming.
Tadas Talaikis
Apr 23, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm thinking to build my next web empire I had almost ten years ago. Now with more sophisticated tools than just Perl/ PHP. Will tell somewhere someday how that goes with Google. This book has one part of required answers, and broad spectrum of problems is covered.
Yixi
Oct 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: techlearning
Good introductory book on web scraping.
Georgi
Nov 10, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was expecting more in deep examples. At the moment it is more like compilation of official documentation.
David Swanson
May 29, 2017
Julthep Nandakwang
Aug 12, 2019
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• Automate the Boring Stuff with Python: Practical Programming for Total Beginners
  • Flask Web Development: Developing Web Applications with Python
  • Natural Language Processing with Python
  • The Best Democracy Money Can Buy
  • Orwell on Truth
  • Charting and Technical Analysis
  • Are You Smart Enough to Work at Google?
  • C++: The Complete Reference

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »