Start by marking “The Girl Without a Name (Zoe Goldman, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Girl Without a Name (Zoe Goldman, #2)

The Girl Without a Name

(Zoe Goldman #2)

Another gripping pageturner featuring psychiatrist Zoe Goldman, the protagonist from Little Black Lies.

In what passes for an ordinary day in a psych ward, Dr. Zoe Goldman is stumped when a highly unusual case arrives. A young African American girl, found wandering the streets of Buffalo in a catatonic state, is brought in by police. No one has come forward to claim her, an
Published September 8th 2015 by Grand Central Publishing (first published July 14th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about The Girl Without a Name, please sign up.
Malak No, I am currently reading the book and I like it, and I didn't feel the need to read Little Black Lies.

Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
Aug 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2015
This is as far as I know the first time I have read a book with a psychiatrist as the main characters and that was a nice change because Dr. Zoe Goldman isn't out to solve a crime or anything. Instead, she is trying to help a young African-American girl who is discovered wandering the streets with no memory of who she is. But it seems that nobody knows who the girl is and Zoe decides to take matters into her own hands to find out who the girl is.

I really liked that Zoe is a psychiatrist with ADH
Diane S ☔
Jul 16, 2015 rated it liked it
Psychological problems cover such a large ground, still so hard to diagnose, often a trial and error approach and the hope that something works. When a young girl is brought into the unit she appears to be catatonic. no one knows who she is or where she comes from. Zoë, now on probation after her unorthodox last case, finds herself once again obsessively involved.

Second book of this series and I love that the cases are so interesting. Zoë, herself is a fascinating character, she tries so hard f
Sue
Many thanks to the author, Sandra Block, Grand Central Publishing and NetGalley for an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

Another gripping page turner featuring psychiatrist Zoe Goldman, the protagonist from Little Black Lies. This book picks up where the other book left off, and contains spoilers that would ruin it if you haven’t read the first book.

In this fast paced thriller set in a hospital in the Mental Wards, it focused on mainly Dr. Zoe Goldman and her boss Dr. Tad Berringer. Dr. Zoe
Erin
Dec 25, 2016 rated it it was ok
In this follow-up to "Little Black Lies", Sandra Block's main protagonist, Dr. Zoe Goldman continues to work in the hospital psychiatric ward on a variety of cases. The synopsis is very well outlined so I won't rehash it here.

I feel it best to compare my reading stance of TGWAN to how I watch "Grey's Anatomy." Sure the medical cases are interesting, but most of us tune in to see how all the personal drama plays out. This made the story a bit disappointing because I was expecting more of a suspe
Heena Rathore P.
Note: I received a copy of this book from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Plot/Story:
In one sentence- I enjoyed reading Girl Without A Name. Though it wasn’t a complete thriller, still it had its moments where it really stood out. It’s a slow paced story taking the reader through the ups and downs in the life and times of Dr. Zoe Goldman, which I must agree, was quite interesting.
What I really enjoyed about this book is the mystery and how all the small-small elemen
sue

I have come to expect nothing less than:

1. A superbly written book
2. Great plot
3. Grabbing me from the start of the first chapter
4. Keeping me from being distracted from 'real life'

I didn't get all of this though. more from the penmanship of Sandra Block

She has become another one of my favourite authors where I long for her next book each time I close the one before.
This was let me down a little

We have a young girl here who is in a catatonic state wandering the streets. Police bring her into t
Judy Collins
Sandra Block returns following her gripping debut, Little Black Lies, with THE GIRL WITHOUT A NAME — a mysterious patient, a Jane Doe with no name, and the intriguing suspense behind the silence for a psychological suspense thriller— keeping you glued to the pages, packed with intrigue, mystery and dark secrets.

In Little Black Lies, we met Dr. Zoe Goldman, a Yale graduate, and a psychiatry resident at a Buffalo, N.Y., hospital, where she suffers from ADHD, with a number of personal issues. S
Dorie  - Traveling Sister :)
Jul 27, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: netgalley

We meet Dr. Goldman, psychiatry intern, on probation after her exploits in Little Black Lies. The opening chapter introduces us to a catatonic African American girl, age around 13, whom the ward has named Jane Doe for lack of any other information. Finding out the identity and story about Jane Doe is the plot of the book. We do meet a few other patients, one who stands out is Chloe, who is admitted for severe anorexia and follow her treatment and interaction with the doctors and therapists who a
Krystin Rachel
"We can call her Jane, because she can't tell us her name."

I think Sandra Block might be a new favourite author of mine.

I really, really like these Dr. Zoe Goldman novels. Strong characters, strong personal story lines, and a perfect plot with delicate twists. It's a little mystery, a little psychological, a little real-life drama with the perfect amount of genuine humour bringing everyone to life. It's all done so well that I just feel completely invested every time I pick it up to read ag
Debbie
Oct 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: net-galley-books
I sort of thought this was going to be creepier than it was. However, while it wasn't creepy throughout. There came a point at the end where my jaw dropped and I felt myself spinning through some type of time warp tunnel or whatever those things are on those shows where the person is just spinning and spinning. It was like I just couldn't believe it. I can't really say much more without this becoming a spoiler, but I can say that this was one heck of a good book.

It wasn't like I was reading and
Emily
Jun 13, 2017 rated it it was ok
2 1/2 stars. The story was underwhelming, but Zoe remains one of my spirit animals. She's also one of the only tall, strong, female characters in my memory aside from maybe Josephine March. Though this book was a bit slow and not as good as the first, I'll be back for the third.
Lisa
Oct 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
I read this one a few months ago with Bets. This is the 2nd book the series and I'm definitely interested in sticking with it. Good plot, good characters, and lots of promise for future installments.
Fictionophile
“There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.” – Leonard Cohen

We meet Dr. Zoe Goldman, a Yale graduate and psychiatric resident at a large hospital in Buffalo, New York. She is in her last year of residency, and is on probation (due to circumstances that occurred in the first book?). Like all residents, she is often tired due to the long hours they work, and to the fact that they are often ‘on call’ even when not working. Zoe, who is working her child-psych rotation, is a ‘Type
Albert
Dec 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
The Girl Without a Name by Sandra Block is the second novel featuring Dr. Zoe Goldman, the protagonist from the highly acclaimed Little Black Lies. The Girl Without a Name picks up little over a year after the events of Little Black Lies and Zoe Goldman tries to put her life and her career back together.

"...We call her Jane, because she can't tell us her name.
Can't or won't, I'm not sure. She lies in a hospital bed, a strangely old expression upon her teenaged face. We don't know her age either
Michelle
Oct 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015
A riveting intense psychological thriller that will have readers holding onto their edge of their seats as secrets and truths are revealed! The Girl Without A Name is the first book that I have read from Sandra Block and it surely won't be my last. Ms. Block was able to weave suspense, mystery, and heart palpitating intrigue as readers discovered and piece together Jane Doe's identity with the help of Dr. Zoe Goldman, a psychiatrist. As a big suspense thriller aficionado, I loved that Ms. Block ...more
Leah
I really liked this one. A LOT. As in when I wasn't reading it I was counting down the minutes until the book was back in my hands. For a total impulse buy (and an impulse buy that I immediately started reading) I couldn't be happier!

The way Zoe's ADHD was portrayed was very interesting - though I feel her narration might not work for all readers. This reader, however, enjoyed it immensely!

The only thing I wasn't too fond of was the Big Reveal. Early on in the story a throwaway line from a chara
Tiffy
Nov 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
First novel I've read by Sandra Block and it definitely won't be my last one. Zoe was easy to like with her little flaws and driven oriented self. The ending was was definitely not what I suspected.
Andrea Corley
Wow! Now this narrator was a tough one to keep up with! Zoe Goldman is a doctor with full-blown ADHD, and let me just tell you that this narrator NAILED IT matching her narration to Zoe's character! At times, I was like holy cow!!!

Overall, Sandra Block delivered a great second book in the Goldman series! There was a lot of medical mystery included in with the normal mystery of what is going on, but I found it interesting and was really routing for Zoe to be correct and to not give up, even when
Michelle Arredondo
Aug 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
I won this book through a goodreads giveaway for an honest review...thanks to them and thanks to Sandra Block for writing such a wonderful book. I have never read anything from Sandra Block so I was completely unaware when I requested this book that there was a book before this one called Little Black Lies. I was able to read this book without any problems however I figure that because this one was so good, it's probably even better if I read the first book which I intend to do.

The story follow
Arielle Vanessa
Aug 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: giveaways
I won this book from a giveaway on Goodreads. I really did like this book a lot. The only reason why I'm giving it 4 stars instead of 5 is because it starts off very, very slowly in the beginning, and I had a hard time getting through the first 100 pages or so. But then suddenly things start to happen, and every chapter is another twist and turn. It's a very quick read, but only because you want to keep going to find out what's going to happen. I look forward to reading other work from this auth ...more
Mrs Mommy Booknerd http://mrsmommybooknerd.blogspot.com
The Girl Without a Name was an intense book that kept me on my toes. It was well plotted and paced brilliantly! I was thrown with the twists and turns and I found it hard to put down! I was instantly drawn into the story and the characters were compelling. This would be a great book for any book club and a perfect read for fall! Grab it today! 4.5 stars
Laura Rash
Aug 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. These Zoe books are a clever storyline & I can't wait for the next one!
Hannah
Jan 24, 2017 rated it it was ok
2.5/5

The concept was alright, but I figured out the ending long before the "twist," so it didn't come as much as a shock.

I also kinda found the main character annoying.
Lisa-Books Smiles
Nov 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Not as good as the first book but still a strong second book. I like seeing the personal development of Zoe, and look forward to book 3 coming out next year.
Autumn
Feb 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018
This was in the school library and I knew I had to pick it up to see if it was good. I have seen this book floating around the internet but I wasn't sure if it was going to be a good one or not.

What I didn't expect was to like it a lot. Once I started it was hard for me to put it down. I do wish I had read the book before this one because I felt that I could have gotten to know Zoe better as a person. There seemed to be references to something that happene
Elle
Nov 04, 2017 rated it liked it
A full review of this book will be forthcoming on my blog. However, the brief synopsis of my opinion is this: The Girl Without a Name is a decent read, but there are things that caused me pause and detracted from my ability to enjoy the narrative. It's not a bad book by any means, but I just felt based on bits of the story and sections of the writing, I think it could have been much better with some increased editing. It just needed a bit more sharpness.

Block very easily translates her professio
Danielle Primé
Sep 25, 2017 rated it liked it
I'd give this 3.5 stars. It kept me entertained. I felt like the first book was more suspenseful. This one felt a tad too predictable. Like I knew who the bad guy was before the big reveal. It's an easy enough read. I like the main character enough to read the next book. I'd like to know what happens with her. I'm not sure if there are only 3 books? Either way, unless the next one totally blows me away, I think I'll be ready to move on from this series. 3 seems to be my limit these days...
Mia
Dec 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
The Girl Without a Name was a very intriguing book. Within the first few chapters I was very invested in trying to follow the plot and find details that might feed my curiosity, but Sandra Block worded things so nicely that it kept me on edge. Every time Jane began to recover I got really excited to get the full answer but then it would all cycle again! As much as this is a slower pace and detail oriented book, it still was very intense. The Girl Without a Name was a good read and I would recomm ...more
Jo
May 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Zoe ranks right up there with Kinsey Milhone. I love this series and cannot wait to dig into the third one.
Christy J
Jul 22, 2018 rated it liked it
Quick read. But troubling/depressing.
  • The Game Changer (Dr. Kate Pearson, #4)
  • Double Vision (Dr. Jenna Ramey #2)
  • Bright Lines: A Life in Search of the Beautiful Ordinary
  • Secret Society of Happy People's Thirty One Types of Happiness Guide
  • Texaners: Eight Short Stories
  • Have Yourself a Hamster Little Christmas
  • Whole Body Intelligence: Get Out of Your Head and Into Your Body to Achieve Greater Wisdom, Confidence, and Success
  • Amaskan's Blood (Boahim #1)
  • Bloody Royal Prints (Coleman and Dinah Greene Mysteries #3)
  • Americans Bombing Paris
  • A Killer Ball at Honeychurch Hall (Honeychurch Hall Mystery #3)
  • MAGIC: All Hallows' Eve
  • Downward Facing Death (Keeley Carpenter #1)
  • The Other Side of the Mountain
  • Nalah and the Pink Tiger
  • Heart of Shell
  • Deadwater Lane
  • The Good Book: Writers Reflect on Favorite Bible Passages

Zoe Goldman (3 books)
  • Little Black Lies (Zoe Goldman, #1)
  • The Secret Room (Zoe Goldman, #3)