Start by marking “Dead Souls” as Want to Read:

(Peter Boutrup #2)

On All Hallows' Eve, ex-convict Peter Boutrup is visiting his best friend's grave when her estranged mother appears. Her son, Magnus, has disappeared, and she begs Peter to look for him.

The next day a young nun is pulled out of the moat at the convent in Djursland. She has been garrotted and Peter, who works there as a carpenter, was the last person to see her alive.
Published May 7th 2015 by Headline (first published 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Dead Souls, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dead Souls

Start your review of Dead Souls
Liz Barnsley
This is actually the second book in the “Peter Boutrup” series and I have not read the first – but this was easily read as a standalone and I thought it was superb.

When a young Nun is found murdered, her story links to a violent and unknown history. Peter Boutrop, who has problems of his own, gets caught up in the tangled web and is reluctantly drawn into a world he wants no part of.

There is a high quality character arc to this tale and the backdrop is brilliantly described to give you a sense
Carol -  Reading Writing and Riesling
My View:
"Most people get what they deserve."

Dark and intriguing.

I really enjoyed this murder/mystery with its large cast of well-developed characters; some quirky, some endearing, some vile and loathsome and some you want to know more about. Character based crime fiction provides me with one of my favourite reading experiences, I like to feel invested in the characters, to know them, to watch them grow and develop over the series and I definitely want to learn more about Peter Boutrup, Kir
Bruce Hatton
Dec 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: danish-crime
It was a pleasure to get reacquainted with Peter Boutrup, Mark Bille Hansen and Kir Røjel; the central characters from the author’s previous Three Dog Night. Each flawed in their own way yet still very likeable.
Peter is the last person to see young nun Melissa alive. Her body is later found in the convent moat and she has been garotted. Meanwhile, Kir finds a box containing human bones on the seabed. Although 60 years old, it appears the victim has also been garotted. Also, Magnus, the younger
DeB MaRtEnS
Dead Soul's is the second in this Danish author's series- which I didn't realize until I got the book. However, it reads superbly as a stand alone and is definitely one of the better mystery/thriller novels I've read recently. The three main characters: Kir, a female elite diver, Mark, a down on his luck cancer survivor police officer and Peter, an empathetic and wounded ex-con carpenter- are all flawed, relatable individuals who become involved in solving the murder of a young woman whose ...more
Ken Fredette
Sep 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book thinking it would be good, but I was mistaken it was great. Several plots were going at the same time but they overlapped to make it one of the best reads so far this year for me. Peter, Kir, and Mark were all striving toward the same ending but by different methods. But you can read this so that's it. It's been around since 2013 in English and it's the second book in Elsebeth's series with Peter.
Jane Scadding
This was a little untidy and diffuse. Not as good as Three Dog Night, nor wholly convincing.
Jan 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: late teens onwards who like thrillers
Characters I wanted to know more about. A rollicking good read. Kept me engaged all the way through, and I would definitely read another book by this author.
Although not without flaws, remains good. The characters have some depth and the mystery remained taut all the way through.
The reasons for the perpetrator doing what they did were not fully convincing, but still - it kept me guessing till the last chapter.
Astrid Johanne
De døde sjæles nat er en rigtig spændende bog, den er endnu mere snørklet ind tre hundes nat.
Det er umuligt at løse gåden, før det sidste kapitel.
De døde sjæles nat er lige en tand for spændende. En rigtig god og hårrejsende krimi.
Khee
Jan 26, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good read. Scandinavia Noir always takes me a while to get into, but by the end I really wanted to know what was going to happen. Good characters, would read her again.
janice robertson
Dec 20, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dead Souls

Four stars for this book have read more of this author's books and have enjoyed all of them good story lines
Dorthe Pedersen
Jun 30, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
NÆSTEN for spændende, næsten for mange personer i "galleriet" og næsten for mange tråde - men vanvittigt spændende og velskrevet som altid!
Sue Perry
Aug 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Plenty of action, red herrings, suspects and story lines. A good page turner. I will be looking out for more books by this author.
Frank
Mar 09, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
Cleopatra  Pullen
Dec 14, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-series, own
Dead Souls is the second book in the series that features Peter Boutrup, a convicted criminal, Detective Mark Bille Hansen and diver Kir Røjel who live in Djursland, Denmark. Although this book is readable as a standalone the back-stories to these three characters made me wish I’d read the author’s first book, Three Dog Night, first.

In true Scandinavian-noir fashion, there are multiple strands to the story. Peter is having problems with a biker gang and grieving over the loss of his friend My
Lotte
Jun 24, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: danske, krimi
er ret glad for Elsebeth Egeholms "dicte-serie" og synes at 3 hundes nat var rigtig god. Men jeg var faktisk lidt skuffet over "de døde sjæles nat". Der er total action, hele vejen, men jeg synes faktisk ikke rigtigt at personerne og plottet holder denne gang og jeg gennemskuede det desværre også lidt for tidligt. synes der er lidt for meget hellig selvtægts hævner over Peter Boutrup er ikke sikker på han er et bekendtskab jeg ønsker fortsætte
Puddle Jumper
What Danes get up to when they're bored with Lego.... very nasty murders with roots that go back years, and a very frantic ending with a lot of people needing to be rescued!

country #22 Denmark
Debbie
Apr 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
really enjoyed this book. couldn't put it down.
Hannelore Cheney
Feb 16, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved it! Peter Boutrup is my kind of hero, I really hope there's going to be a third book in the series.
Lone
Mar 31, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Boutrup, nr. 2
Gitte
Sep 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: krimi
Helt klart den bedste krimi i serien om Dicte og Peter. Spændende lige til sidste side.
Natasha
Apr 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
Starts slow but the pace picks up halfway right to the end.
Ann Tonks
I wasn't sure to start with but once I got into this Danish mystery, I became engrossed. A range of interesting 'lead' characters and some fascinating history about Denmark as well.
Lone Rasmussen
Oct 21, 2012
Heather Hyde
rated it did not like it
Dec 11, 2014
Feb 02, 2019
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Negen (Fabian Risk #2)
  • The Tenant
  • Blodmåne (Kørner/Werner, #2)
  • Victim Without a Face (Fabian Risk, #1)
  • Say You're Sorry (Joseph O'Loughlin #6)
  • Før stormen (Maja Holm, #1)
  • The Dark Lake
  • Sleep
  • Sneglens Hus
  • Desert Flower
  • The Blackhouse (Lewis Trilogy, #1)
  • Watching You (Joseph O'Loughlin, #7)
  • The Killing Season (Carter Blake #1)
  • No Way Out (DI Adam Fawley, #3)
  • Last Lullaby (Detective Natalie Ward, #2)
  • Everything Is Lies
  • The Puppet Show (Washington Poe, #1)
  • One Little Mistake
Bestselling Danish novelist Elsebeth Egholm began her career behind the keyboards of a piano. She was a student of music as a performer at The Royal Academy of Music and at the Department of Musicology at the University of Aarhus, before she changed instrument and enrolled at the Danish School of Journalism, also based in her hometown of Aarhus. She spent a few years working for a daily newspaper, ...more

Peter Boutrup (2 books)