Start by marking “The Good Life” as Want to Read:
The Good Life

The Good Life

Everything comes at a price...

Hard-hitting and uncompromising, THE GOOD LIFE by the 'undisputed queen of crime writing' (Guardian) and Sunday Times No.1 bestseller Martina Cole is a chilling thriller about power and protection, and what life is really like on the inside.

When Cain Moran is sentenced to life in prison, he rules the inside with the same determination as he
Published May 21st 2015 by Headline (first published October 9th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Good Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Good Life

Elaine
Jun 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5 Cain Moran Stars

photo tumblr_m8gryerluu1qlutygo1_250_zpsc8a4168a.gif

THE BEST THINGS IN LIFE ARE NEVER FREE.

It was telling his wife he wanted a divorce that was going to be the killer . . . Jenny is not just any girl. She cares nothing for Cain’s hard-man reputation – she just wants to be with him
But Cain is not a free man. And he’s about to find out that when his wife Caroline said ’til death us do
Best Crime Books & More
I have to start off by saying that although I may have been critical of Martina’s more recent books, the woman is a legend! She has been writing in this genre since the early 90’s, and has therefore cemented her place in this genre. Maybe the reason I am so critical is because she set the bar so high especially with her earlier books. However the last couple of books I have read of hers haven’t blown me away. I think because she has written some amazing books, you just expect more and more every ...more
🔮⚡️Voracious
Not the worst Martina Cole I have ever read but such a far cry from her earlier work. It just seems that these epic family sagas now only scratch the surface - gone is the depravity, the violence and the shock factor that made Martina's book so enjoyable. Her books nowadays seem so formulaic and have no depth to them. I'd go as far as to take them out of the gritty thriller genre and class them as romantic suspense, minus the suspense.

Whilst not to everyone's taste, Martina's books - which are
Book Addict Shaun
Aug 04, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015, kindle
Garbage. Martina Cole is one of my favourite authors (third favourite author overall), but like most of her long-time fans I have been left disappointed with pretty much all of her recent books. My rating for The Good Life isn't so much about the story itself, just the fact that the whole plot was basically given away in the prologue. Seriously, the whole of The Good Life's story is essentially just an expanded version of the prologue. The book had no surprise or mystery which I found annoying, ...more
Val Penny
Jul 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Martina Cole is an English author who was born and brought up in Essex. She is the bestselling author of fourteen novels set in London's gangland, and her most recent three paperbacks have gone straight to No. 1 in the Sunday Times on first publication. Total sales of Martina's novels stand at over eight million copies. I was delighted to meet her at the Bloody Scotland's Crime Writers' Festival last year and am pleased she is on the programme again, this year.

The Good Life is an interesting bo
Emily Templeman
Feb 06, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hated
I'm not one for leaving book reviews (far too lazy!), but the sheer awfulness of this work has compelled me to warn others. For real, this might actually be the worst book I have ever read
This was my first Martina Cole book so my expectations were fairly high...after all Cole is considered to be one of the great British best-selling crime authors. What I expected was a gripping and gritty crime novel, what I got was a complete mess.
I am by no means an expert in English literature (you'll have to
Winter Sophia Rose
Jul 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Gripping, Heart Breaking, Raw, Gritty & Intriguing! An Awesome Read! I Loved It!
Jon Wilkin
It was okay. A quick read, most chapters were small. Disappointing ending.
Raul Gil Marquez
My first Martina Cole’s book.

I was expecting something else, the crime and the action is not good enough, very simple and too much romance.

I wasn’t expecting that much romance, very annoying
Lainy
Nov 12, 2015 rated it liked it
Time taken to read - 1 day

Pages - 512

Publisher - Headline

Blurb from Goodreads

THE BEST THINGS IN LIFE ARE NEVER FREE.

Cain Moran wanted Jenny Riley more than he had ever wanted anyone or anything before in his life. But loving Jenny Riley was the easy part; it was telling his wife he wanted a divorce that was going to be the killer...

Jenny is not just any girl. She cares nothing for Cain's hard-man reputation - she just wants to be with him.

But Cain is not a free man. And he's about to find out th
Caroline Mitchell
I really wanted to like this book as I had heard so much about it. However, it took some time to get used to the writing style and although I know it is about gangland crime I found the swearing to be totally excessive. Every second word was peppered with an 'F' this and 'C' that. Having said that, Martina Cole is a highly entertaining author and her books bring you on quite a journey. This is the second book I have read by Martina Cole, because I wanted to give her writing another chance, howev ...more
Sophia Loves to read
This was the first Martina Cole book I've ever read.
I enjoyed the style of writing and how the chapters were small so the chapter never got boring.
I liked how the book always had something happening so I always wanted to carry on reading.
I would recommend this book to others and will also read more Martina Cole books in the future.
Really enjoyed this book so thank you to my lovely daughter for my gift xx
Bev Taylor
Mar 17, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
the best things in life r never free - live the good life, pay the price

cain moran rules the east end and is happily married with a young son

then he meets jenny, a 16 year old raised by an alcoholic mother, and his whole life changes

his wife catherine will never forgive him when he leaves and continuously tries to disrupt their lives. jenny has a baby and then cain is sentenced to 25 years in prison for crimes he did not commit

how will it all end? needless to say the bodies mount up .... mar
Zoe
May 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have read hundreds of books over the past two years. A few years previously, I didn't have much interest in reading, truth be told. Then I read a Martina Cole book (I believe it was 'The Ladykiller') and I was hooked line and sinker. Not just on Martina Cole but on reading - anything and everything. It opened my mind to a brand new world so I do have a HUGE admiration for Martina Cole and anything she writes. 'The Good Life' was yet another absolute belter of a book. Fast paced and exciting - ...more
Zoe Hall
Jul 30, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4-stars, martina-cole
It's been a while since I last read a Martina Cole book so I'm glad this was the one I chose to get me back into her work. I absolutely loved this book from start to finish. I loved all the characters and even empathised with some of them. I thought the plot was written well and characters well rounded. I would definitely recommend this book, especially to those who've never read Martina before. Am really looking forward to her next book: Get Even.

Long may Martina Cole continue!!
Kelly
May 28, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not really what I was hoping for. I've read all but one of Martina's books and I have to say it's getting a bit tedious now. The more recent books have been more or less the same story with predictable outcomes. One thing that does frustrate me is the constant use of the same names. Every time I have read the word "Eileen" in this book I automatically think of Eileen Cavanagh. Another thing I notice is, all of her characters drink copious amounts of tea and whiskey at any given time.
Simone Elizabeth
Jul 06, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoy martina cole books and did like the initial storyline to this. alot happened and the ending was good. I even almost shed a tear at one part. But the book also annoyed me. Only because I found the author repeating herself alot and it bugged me how she always used the characters full names not just the first name.
Angela Free
Why did I bother? I know Martina Cole's books have been getting very much the same as the last one the more she writes, but this was absolute crap. The only reason it's got a second star is because she managed to not make every man a paedophile for a change.
Trevor
Oct 18, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
An improvement on her last couple of books, at least it is not as repetitive as they were. Still nowhere near as good as her first few books. All seem now to have very similar story lines with different characters.
The Twins
bland
Lu Etchells
Dec 20, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
Despite always meaning to, I’ve never managed to get round to reading any Martina Cole before. I know she’s not everyone’s cup of tea, but after watching the adaptation of The Take a few years ago, I couldn’t help feeling that he writing must be amazing, for the programme to be so good.

Unfortunately it seems I might have started at the wrong end of her bibliography, in much the same way I did with Stephen King.

The Good Life is not terrible – in fact, it’s an easy read, pacey in parts and pretty
Amanda
Nov 27, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Martina Cole is a proudly trashy Somerset Maugham. That is a compliment; I love trashy and Mr. Maugham. This was my first Martina Cole so her style was unfamiliar to me. It is a style that involves a LOT of swearing. I'm not averse to a good swear but f**k me, I was bewildered by the frequency of the c word and I don't mean crap.

The characters can be seen as archetypes, thus excusing their lack of depth, which isn't bothersome as you get further in this epic tale. It is epic, spanning decades in
Paris
Nov 05, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've only read a few of Martina's books but none of them have disappointed me so far.
Her books make perfect reading when you need a break from the normal dystopian young adult books or the typical romance novels.
I loved this book as I've always been fascinated by prisons and how inmates become 'top dog' etc.
Martina did not fail to create a page-turner plus the extra short chapters are always a bonus!
Cynthia
Cain is on top of The Game, what will he do to keep there? The characters in this story were full of contradictions. A loving kind man could slowly cut off anothers fingers and toes, a kind gentle woman could fling into a rage, it was alright to kill someone with a family but not if it was your family. Told in short chapters that moved the story along, it was interesting to see inside a criminal gang - is all the power and money worth it?
Judy Kaye
May 06, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Appallingly written - repetitive - everyone is 'loved with a passion' or 'hated with a vengeance' (or at least once, 'loved with a vengeance'.

Couldn't feel sympathy for any of the characters (of whom there were far too many).

Chichéd gangster-speak.

The audiobook was mostly just people yelling at each other - much like an episode of Eastenders.

Probably the worst book I've ever read.
Pam Clements
Jul 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A gritty English crime novel Takes you into the crimes in the club scene The bosses that will do anything to stay on top Carries you along with it into the underworld of crime in the streets of London years ago..... Loved it
Anayah London
Jan 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As with all of Martina Coles books, I love her straightforward approach to writing. The message is loud, clear and easy for me to understand. She takes you right into her world and the endings are never as I expect them to be. Great read.
Laura Edwards
Jess
Aug 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I’m a huge Martina Cole fan. I love the British slang and the characters are whole. There’s always a surprise around the corner. If you’re not interested in violence or the world of the career criminal don’t read this.
Amira Smith
This was an easy read, quite predictable in places but still enjoyable none the less!
  • The Wronged
  • The Game
  • Ruthless (Annie Carter #5)
  • Dishonour
  • Sadie
  • The Villain's Daughter
Martina Cole was born and brought up in Essex. She is the bestselling author of fourteen novels set in London's gangland, and her most recent three paperbacks have gone straight to No. 1 in the Sunday Times on first publication. Total sales of Martina's novels stand at over eight million copies.

“struggling. Eventually, after about five minutes,” 0 likes