Start by marking “Hunted” as Want to Read:
Hunted

Hunted

3.91  ·  Rating details ·  21,135 ratings  ·  4,087 reviews
Beauty knows the Beast’s forest in her bones—and in her blood. Though she grew up with the city’s highest aristocrats, far from her father’s old lodge, she knows that the forest holds secrets and that her father is the only hunter who’s ever come close to discovering them.

So when her father loses his fortune and moves Yeva and her sisters back to the outskirts of town, Ye
Published March 14th 2017 by HarperTeen

To ask other readers questions about Hunted, please sign up.
Meagan Spooner Well, that's really going to depend on where you order it from, and how it's shipped, and the care the booksellers take in protecting their stock.…moreWell, that's really going to depend on where you order it from, and how it's shipped, and the care the booksellers take in protecting their stock. There might be some schmutz on a cover here and there from being handled, but that's what dust jackets are for! Barring dropping it in a mud puddle, I suspect the book won't be too dirty.

(Yes, I know. But this question just makes me laugh.)(less)
Meagan Spooner Hunted is a standalone novel, complete at the end of the book. It will likely bear some similarities to my next solo book (subject/title not announced…moreHunted is a standalone novel, complete at the end of the book. It will likely bear some similarities to my next solo book (subject/title not announced yet), so future books will likely appeal to the same readers, but they won't share characters or worlds. Thanks for your question!(less)

·  21,135 ratings  ·  4,087 reviews

Start your review of Hunted
Emily May
Apr 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

4 1/2 stars. Wow, this was... unexpected. I got an arc of Hunted from edelweiss months ago. After putting it off again and again for other books, I decided to let it expire. Seriously, who even needs another Beauty & the Beast retelling? Then this book was given to me as a gift and *resigned sigh* I decided to just give it a shot. And I'm so glad I did.

4 1/2 stars. Wow, this was... unexpected. I got an arc of

Cruel Beauty is still my favourite Beauty & the Beast retelling, but this comes in at a close second. It obviously follows the familiar B&tB format, whilst doing something completely new and fresh with it. I loved what it did. I love the new themes the author explores in this old template.

It's a haunting, well-written story. Full of icy coldness, the language of fairy tales, and underneath, a running theme of that inexplicable longing for something you can't quite put your finger on. Maybe it's like wanderlust - that restlessness and dissatisfaction with staying in one place for too long. Maybe it's just wanting without knowing what you want. It's powerful, though, and Spooner captures that feeling so wonderfully here.

Surprisingly, it's very... not romantic. There is no time given over to lusty encounters and stolen kisses with a somehow sexy beast. Rather, the relationship between Beauty and this Beast is one between two outsiders who see something they recognize in one another. Yeva (aka "Beauty") is a trained hunter and she remains dedicated to her passion and her family throughout.

The setting is inspired by rural medieval Russia. Lots of coldness, snow and ice, and it fits with the tale very well. Yeva and her father navigate this white-covered wilderness in their hunting, but then Yeva's father starts rambling about a beast unlike any other. A beast that is smart and cunning. A beast that is following him.
The snow is a canvas, her father would say, upon which the beast paints his past, his home, his intentions, his future. Learn to see the picture and you will know him as you know yourself.

When he doesn't return from a hunting trip, Yeva leaves her beloved sisters to go track him. Of course, she finds way more than she bargained for. Not just a beast, but a whole world of fantastical creatures that seem to play by a different set of rules. But Yeva knows these rules; they're the rules of the fairy tales her father always read to her. The rule of threes. The rule of curses. The rule of breaking them.

Yeva is determined to kill the beast and return to her family. But her quest to kill the seemingly unkillable creature unveils ever more secrets, and the longer she spends in this world, the more she worries what world she will find when she leaves.

Despite having read so many retellings these past few years, Hunted found a special place in my heart. It was thoughtful, moving and - for me - unputdownable.

Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Youtube
Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
Inches from her face was a nightmarish visage, snarling fangs and red-gold eyes. She screamed, every muscle going rigid as she tried to struggle free, but claws dug into her skin on all sides, giving her no room to move. She stretched out with one arm anyway, ignoring the tearing pain of it, fingers brushing the hilt of her fletching knife.

“YOU GAVE US YOUR WORD.” The voice was almost unrecognizable, the roar tangible against her face as the teeth flashed in the firelight. The claws
Hailey (Hailey in Bookland)
Mar 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned, fantasy
4.5*
I really really enjoyed this! I normally like my fantasy books to have a lot of action and this one definitely lacked that but it worked really well because it read exactly like a fairy tale, which is perfect as this is a Beauty and the Beast retelling. This one stuck a bit closer to the Disney version/original fairy tale than others I have read while also taking a unique spin on it which I thought was very neat. Overall an awesome retelling!

*ARC provided for review by Indigo Books &a
Anne
Apr 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Tale as old as time...

Except.
Yeah, this is not that Beauty and the Beast.
This Beauty is a bit less sing-y and a bit more...stabby. Which is a pretty nice change of pace, to be honest!
Plus, this time around, it isn't the villagers who are out to kill the Beast, it's Beauty, herself. She's a hunter. A badass hunter.
And because {insert spoilery reasons here} she's on a mission to take a chunk out of his supernatural hide. Of course, killing him means she's gotta stay on as his Guest prisoner while she looks for the chink in his armor that will allow her to takemore....
Nastassja

Another anticipated release. Another unpopular opinion! Beware the spoilers!

Lo and behold, Fifty Shades of Beast!

Note: My reference of 50 shades of Beast is not about this book having an explicit content. There's no sex; it's a YA story in its usual 'they kissed and the screen went blank'. My reference is about how disturbing and unrealistic I find what characters have between them, and there's nothing romantic I can see about it. A very strong case of Stockholm Syndrome (worse than in the original, as here

megs_bookrack
Aug 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
((...screams from rooftop...))

Hunted is the BEST Beauty and the Beast retelling I have EVER read.

Guys, I know I am super late to the party on this one. I think I am probably the only B&B superfan left to read this. Why did I wait this long, you ask? Because I am horrible at life obviously.

I listened to the audiobook of this and I will definitely be buying a hard copy because I absolutely plan to reread this someday. The most impactful aspect of this for merooftop...))
Reynita Maharani ★ The Night Reader ★
REVIEW TO COME TODAY.

Me : *sighs*
Person : are you okay?
Me : yeah, I'm just disappointed.
Me : *facepalm*

And as Yeva
scanned the walls, each one lined with shelves and each one full
of leather-bound books, at least a hundred books, more than she
knew existed in one place, she felt her heart might simply burst.

I truly don't know why I didn't really like this book. Maybe it's because I was in reading slump while reading it ? or maybe it was just the book that wasn't really interesting ? the reason is either of them.

Befo*facepalm*
Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink
*Full Review Update
Guys I'm so sad. I didn't love it. Don't get me wrong, I totally see why others did, and I'm in the minority for this one.

I'm not going to type a summary on this one because well, it's a Beauty and the Beast retelling. Some parts were close to the original, and other parts deviated quite a bit. In my opinion, it was the wrong parts. Here's the thing... I'm super biased. I grew up with Beauty and the Beast and I just hold it in such a high regard so it's hard
Lola
Dec 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
A wolf and a man. A woman and a dragon. Hunter and hunted. Nothing in this world has only one nature.

This is a slightly obscure, yet wonderfully so, retelling of ‘‘Beauty and the Beast,’’ my preferred fairytale of all existing ones.

Yeva is a huntress. She loves it. She loves the feel of finding prey and hunting it. She is her father’s daughter. But her sisters do not understand her love of hunting, and when it’s time to choose a husband, who will accept her as she is? Who will share her u
Helena of Sparta ✰
“She was so tired after all. Tired of fairy tales, and magic, and empty castles. Tired of wanting so intensely that she didn’t know what she wanted.”

Da da da DAAA…Please allow me to introduce you to the FIFTH La Belle et la Bête retelling that I’ve read! I know; it’s a lot. But it’s my favourite faery tale! Let’s see: Beastly by Alex Flinn, Cruel Beauty by Rosamund Hodge, A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J Maas, Uprooted by Naomi Novik, and now…Hunted by Meagan Spoonerwanted.”
Da
sreeja (hiatus)
Apr 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2017
“She moves like beauty, she whispers to us of wind and forest—and she tells us stories, such stories that we wake in the night, dreaming dreams of a life long past. she reminds us of what we used to be.
She reminds us of what we could be.”

dark; addictive; unique
this is hands down my favorite beauty and the beast retelling so far. It manages to stick to the original story while having an extremely unique and beautiful twist to it by adding in Russian fairy tale and folklore into the main plot.
Just giving you a prior head up here thisbe.”
dark;
Bentley ★ Bookbastion.net
See this review and on my blog: www.bookbastion.net

This was STUNNING.

^ Actual gif of me reading most of this book.

Okay, not really, but it about sums up my feelings.

Retellings are a difficult thing to go into because you never know how they're going to turn out: how you're going to feel if the story is too similar so it feels boring to read; or if it diverges too greatly from the source material that you feel it's done the oriwww.bookbastion.net
This
Sana
This was a BR with:
the potato
DJ Khaled
Solohoe (I'm exposing you traitor)

OH WHY YES, A BUDDY READ THAT ACTUALLY WORKED OUT WITH A BOOK I ACTUALLY REALLY ENJOYED AND WILL PROBABLY BE REREADING THIS SUMMER BECAUSE THAT ENDING IS SO BEAUTIFUL, I NEED MORE OF IT. OH LOOK, I ALREADY FEEL LIKE REREADING THIS GEM OF A BOOK. I'M SUCH GARBAGE FOR THE BEAST.

This book is so beautiful and magical and I can't get over it. This book takes its time
;3
Apr 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
the entire concept of beauty and the beast is so wild to me like. homegirl straight up loved an animal romantically. an animal. that’s so wild like have you ever had a pet?

anyway. this book is what sjm THINKS acotar is
maram ☂︎
BUDDY READ WITH THE CUTIE <3
---
It's been over 6 hours since I finished reading it and while I really enjoyed it, I'm still a little confused...
And, frustrated in the sense that this story is such a PARADOX! On one hand, it took forever for the story to pick up but once it did, I suddenly found myself reading the last chapter wanting more...
description

Hunted is my third? re-telling of Beauty and the Beast and I think Meagan Spooner did wonderfully by not only including elements from the original keeping it fairytale-esque, but also facto<3
3.75
Trina (Between Chapters)
This story had a strong fairy tale vibe with its fantasy world, fantastical creatures, and curses but it did not stick too close to the original Beauty and the Beast tale. Yes, you could easily tell who some of the characters were and assume some information about them, but it really made the world and characters their own. I think it would be great for those who LOVE fairy tales, but want a story that is still its own thing.

Personally, my favorite aspect of this was that the Beast w
Navessa

This is a solid YA Beauty and the Beast retelling, full of girl power and feminist themes. Some of the story threads are definitely true to the original fairy tale (kidnapping, a curse, a ruined castle, a beast), but where Spooner deviates from that tale is where the meat of this story really comes from.

In this retelling, Beauty is something of a badass. A hunter who can move through a forest as though she is part of it.

This book starts off with her father as a wealthy me
I really enjoyed the way Meagan Spooner blended Russian folklore elements into this retelling of Beauty & the Beast. The pacing does fall a bit on the slow side resulting in some plot dragging moments. However, if you enjoy retellings of fairytales, you might find this one interesting.

There may have been more, but the Russian fairytales Tsarevitch Ivan, the Firebird and the Gray Wolf, The Firebird and Princess Vasilisa, and Vasilisa the Beautiful are all mentioned or incorporated into the story in one way or
may ❀
Spontaneous buddy read with my fav, Maraaammmm

“To the girl
who reads by flashlight
who sees dragons in the clouds
who feels most alive in worlds that never were
who knows magic is real
who dreams

This is for you”

Hunted is a beautiful retelling of the famous Beauty and the Beast but offers different twists to the original story. One of those twists were that we got a point of view from the Beast himself.

description

So like, this book was GREAT but it always was MEH and that’s why I’m so CONFLICTED because yes it was magical and gripping but it was also DRAWN OUT.

Yeva is our main characMaraaammmm
“To
enqi ☁️✨ kell maresh lovesite
Rich and enchanting, Hunted was the tale I never knew I needed - it's a Beauty and the Beast retelling interspersed with Russian elements and I don't know how to express my feelings for this book but I LOVE IT SO MUCH. rtc!!
Nasom
Nov 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Full Review

Real rating: 4.5

🎵Tale as old as time
Song as old as rhyme
Beauty and the beast🎵

I loved this so much!

I have read like 4? 5? Beauty and the Beast retellings because I obviously have a problem and I am not ashamed of it. What I love most about this is that Beast is actually a beast. I think this is the only book in which that was the case.

At the beginning, we have Beauty having some type of identity crisis because she feels like she is des
Natalie Monroe

"She knew now why she was here. She would see the monster dead."

Hunted is a hard one to review. I love, love, love the concept of a vengeful huntress Beauty and a cat-and-mouse game with the Beast, and the book itself delivers. Yet we didn't click the way I did with other Beauty & the Beast retellings like A Court of Thorns and Roses and Uprooted.

The romance is a soothing slow burn. Those who enjoy it in small doses should read this immediately. It takes ages for Yeva (Beauty) to fall in love with her captor, and theiUprooted.
Thestars
Aly (In Wonderland)

This is the Beauty & the Beast retelling everyone has been waiting for. I tried dozens of Beauty & the Beast retellings. Okay, maybe not dozens, but enough to know it's one of those fairytales (like Alice in Wonderland which, by the way, I still haven't found a good enough retelling of) that is hard to get just right.
Alyssa

Rating: 4 stars
Source: eARC from Edelweiss

Summary (from Goodreads):

Caitlin
Well. That was weird? I've been sitting here for 10 minutes contemplating what the fuck this book was. I don't really understand what even happened and I'm confused as to how I feel about this book so let me just give you some quick thoughts

- I didn't like the Beast. Sorry but he reminded me of Tamlin the entire time. I felt like this Beast had no likeable qualities and was just a big ball of a shit. I would have preferred if he died. Oops?
- I didn't ship it at all. Not once. Not ev
Ashwood (애쉬 우드).
May 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was an awesome book! I really wasn't sure what to expect with this one, because some beauty and the beast retellings can be really uninteresting and poorly written but this was a surprisingly fantastic read!

There were a few parts that could've been left out and I wouldn't have minded but overall it was pretty awesome.

I love when the female MC is fearless and kickass with a great sense of humor.
The relationship beauty had with her sisters was one of my favorite parts, for real.
Riley
Jun 09, 2017 marked it as did-not-finish
this is nothing new or original and I'm just over it

"This is a dream," she whispered. "Magic. A fairy tale."

This was a YA retelling of Beauty and the Beast.

I liked Yeva, and I liked how strong she was in difficult situations. She went after her father when he was in trouble, and she didn't give up on the Beast either, even when everybody else had. She was quite stubborn though, she didn't always take the easy option, and was opinionated as to what she wanted to do with the restEdelweiss.)
AMEERA
200 page enough for me
Scrill
Mar 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing

GUYS MY HEART IS FULL!

I absolutely adore Beauty and the Beast. It was my absolute favorite Disney film growing up. With that being said, I am always so eager to read a retelling of it, but at the same time anxious in case it is ruined. Hunted does such a good job keeping the original story still intact while still having a spin that makes it its own story.

So w

• Cruel Beauty
  • Daughter of the Pirate King (Daughter of the Pirate King, #1)
  • An Enchantment of Ravens
  • A Curse So Dark and Lonely (Cursebreakers, #1)
  • Sorcery of Thorns
  • Wintersong (Wintersong, #1)
  • The Cruel Prince (The Folk of the Air, #1)
  • Daughter of the Siren Queen (Daughter of the Pirate King, #2)
  • To Kill a Kingdom
  • Serpent & Dove (Serpent & Dove, #1)
  • Long May She Reign
  • Sky in the Deep
  • Flame in the Mist (Flame in the Mist, #1)
  • The Wicked King (The Folk of the Air, #2)
  • Crimson Bound
  • Warrior of the Wild
  • Ever the Hunted (Clash of Kingdoms, #1)
  • Roar (Stormheart, #1)
New York Times bestselling author Meagan Spooner grew up reading and writing every spare moment of the day, while dreaming about life as an archaeologist, a marine biologist, an astronaut. She graduated from Hamilton College in New York with a degree in playwriting, and has spent several years since then living in Australia. She's traveled with her family all over the world to places like Egypt, S ...more
“To the girl
who reads by flashlight
who sees dragons in the clouds
who feels most alive in worlds that never were
who knows magic is real
who dreams

This is for you”
262 likes
“She wept because she did not know what she wanted, and because she wanted everything.” 114 likes