Start by marking “Parsley Sage, Rosemary and Time” as Want to Read:
Parsley Sage, Rosemary and Time

Parsley Sage, Rosemary and Time (Magical Cupboard #1)

4.15  ·  Rating details ·  97 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
Ten-year-old Rosemary thinks the word cut into the marker stone in her aunt's old herb garden in Maine should be spelled T-H-Y-M-E until she tastes a sprig of it, and finds everything but herself ... stopped! Flies hang in mid-flight, a measuring worm in mid-reach. Not a leaf rustles. Before long Rosemary, a rather timid, proper child, is plunged into an extraordinary adve ...more
Published August 12th 2014 by KMWillis (first published 1975)

CLM
This is not your typical girl-expects-boring-summer but-winds-up-having-a-good-time story. When Rosemary begins exploring her aunt's garden she is transported by a snippet of thyme, traveling back to the eighteenth century. Perhaps I didn't appreciate this fully because I had read Edward Eager so many times but it is extremely good.

I think it was my mother who found this talented (and overlooked) author at the library (well, her books, not Jane herself; the only author we ever found at the libra
Hannah
Books featuring the elements of time travel and/or magical realism aren't everyone's cuppa, but I'm here to tell you that when they're done right, the stories can be the reader's perfect blend of escapism and enjoyment -- if you're of a nature to "let go".

Parsley Sage, Rosemary and Time was probably one of the first books I had ever read in the genres mentioned above. Published in 1975, on the cusp of America's Bicentennial and in my 11th year, to say I was enthralled with this book doesn't do i
Andria
Jan 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kid-lit, retro-reads
Another long-lost favorite from childhood. 10-year-old Rosemary is sent by her very practical, fact-finding parents to spend the summer with her eccentric and dissolute Aunt Sibby at her home in Maine, the mysterious Whychwood.

From the beginning, Rosemary's resolve to find logical explanations for all mysterious occurrences is tested. There's something "witchy" about Aunt Sibby, the cat is acting peculiar, and then there's the herb garden with the strange plant that, when touched, seems to stop
Sara
Apr 24, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book as a kid! One of my favorite books from that era.
An Odd1
Jan 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fan, fantasy
Rosemary Walpole 10 is praised for "prim and proper" p 34 precision by parents. Aunt Sibby 30ish "half-expecting a cod-faced priss" praises red hair "lucky" p 5, asks "embarrassing questions" of "sobersides" p 6 at Wychwood manor, near Bennickport Maine. When old cat Parsley Sage leads Rosemary over patch labelled "Time", not herb thyme, in secluded corner of the garden, the girl must stretch her imagination from June 1975 to October 1722.

Puritan Goodwife "Goody" Cakebread unwillingly finds clo
Nicky
Apr 15, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a fun children's book from 1975. Young Rosemary, the daughter of uptight parents, stays with her eccentric Aunt Sibby in Maine. While exploring the overgrown garden at Aunt Sibby's house she discovers a curiosity which transports her back to early 18th century Maine. Adventures soon follow...

I enjoyed it and am looking forward to the next installment, The Magical Cupboard. Some words are unique to the time it was written/for American audiences, but otherwise the author has a nice style o
Theresa
Such an amazing story! At first when I was reading it, it seemed like too big a story to get through in just over 100 pages. I'm impressed Jane Louise Curry pulled it off beautifully. I have to read more of her books!

Rosemary goes to her aunts for the summer and travels back in time! There she meets two more unknowing time travelers and they try to find their way home and save an innocent lady from being condemned as a witch!

The ending is amazing!! love it!
Denise
Nov 18, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Re-reading this kiddie book which was popular when I was at my first librarian job (Children's Librarian, Mercer Co. Library). Cute time-travel, Maine setting with hints of witchcraft.

Funnest part is the old house (Wychwood) with the overgrown garden and the tortoiseshell cat, Parsley Sage, and the magic herb (Time) in the garden.
Dayna Smith
Rosemary goes to stay with her strange Aunt on an old farm. While exploring in an old herb garden, she discovers a time portal to early 1700's New England. How does she get home? How does she escape being labeled a witch? A wonderfully classic tale and an easy read.
Maureen E
A nice old-fashioned time travel book, with an emphasis on the characters. I called one of the major twists about 20 pages before the characters did, but it was still fun, and I liked Rosemary’s journey from prim to wild. [Jan 2011]
Cera
Oct 25, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a pleasant children's book -- it didn't do a lot for me (I think because I found the unimaginative heroine dull), but I'm definitely going to hold onto it for my daughter. And look for some other books by the same author!
Sarah Pierce
Mar 19, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another re-read from childhood. This book was a little too young for me when I was 12, and a little too short to be satisfying. It is a cute story, though, about time travel and growing out of being too grown up.
I seem to recall that the only good thing about this book was the title, and even that was sort of forced. I mean, yeah, sure, someone is going to name her cat "Parsley Sage."
maxnbigboy
Aug 13, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this on a bookshelf at my parents house.It is a very clever story for young readers.
Jennifer Stewart
I enjoyed the concept of three children from different times ending up back in the same time, not too long after the first Thanksgiving.
Martha
Mar 27, 2015
Christine
Sep 21, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Jane Louise Curry was born in East Liverpool, Ohio, on September 24, 1932. She is the daughter of William Jack Curry Jr. and Helen Margaret Curry. Curry grew up in Pennsylvania (Kittanning and Johnstown), but upon her graduation from college she moved to Los Angeles, California, and London, England.

Curry attended the Pennsylvania State University in 1950, and she studied there until 1951 when she
More about Jane Louise Curry

Magical Cupboard (2 books)
  • The Magical Cupboard

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• The Lathe of Heaven
    $7.99 $3.99
  • Lumière (The Illumination Paradox, #1)
  • Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters
  • Pride and Prejudice and Zombies
    $9.99 $1.99
  • King of Thieves
  • Area 51 (Area 51, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Earth Strike (Star Carrier, #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Parable of the Sower (Earthseed)
    $17.99 $2.99
  • The Mission (Area 51, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Mongoliad (The Mongoliad Cycle Book 1)
  • The Fourteenth Goldfish
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Extinction Point (Extinction Point, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Fate of Perfection (Finding Paradise #1)
    $4.99 $2.00
  • Gates of Thread and Stone (Gates of Thread and Stone #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Earth & Sky (Earth & Sky, #1)
  • After On: A Novel of Silicon Valley
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Sphinx (Area 51, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Atopia Chronicles (Atopia, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Rewinder (Rewinder Series Book 1)
  • Master of Formalities
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Grail (Area 51, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Falconer (The Falconer, #1)
    $7.99 $0.99
  • The Eighth Guardian (Annum Guard, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Deviants (Dust Chronicles #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Excalibur (Area 51, #6)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Into the Black (Odyssey One, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fate of Devotion (Finding Paradise, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Points of Impact (Frontlines #6)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • The Shadows (The Fianna Trilogy, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Dystopia Chronicles (Atopia, #2)
  • The Guardian Herd: Starfire
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Infinite (Gates of Thread and Stone #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Clay's Ark (The Patternist Series)
  • The Iron Dragon's Daughter
  • Once Was a Time
    $4.99 $0.99
  • The Broken Sword
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Mind of My Mind (The Patternist Series)
  • Afterlife
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Truth (Area 51, #7)
  • The Bird Eater
  • Ruined
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Exo (Exo #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
“The house might, in fact, have passed for the world's largest rosebush if here and there a pane of glass had not gleamed and a few dark shingles showed beneath the rose leaves. Two chimneys and a row of gables stuck timid snouts out along the roof line.” 1 likes
“One was an ancient tortoiseshell cat with arthritis, who creaked around the house--but when Aunt Sibby flickered her fingers and crooned, Miminy, miminy, tall-as-a-chi-mi-ny, danced on his hind legs like a kitten.” 1 likes