Start by marking “Kate & Alf” as Want to Read:
Kate & Alf

Kate & Alf

Kate loves Alf. And Alf loves Kate… Doesn’t he?

Kate can’t wait for her long-term boyfriend Alf to propose. So he might be a bit of a control freak who’s obsessed with his career … and he also seems to have conveniently forgotten their two-year plan to get married, buy a bigger house and have children. But Kate’s sure that ring will be on her finger soon.

When her thirty-sec
Published February 5th 2015 by HarperImpulse

To ask other readers questions about Kate & Alf, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kate & Alf

Claire - The Coffeeholic Bookworm
Kate was all dressed to the nines because she had this feeling that her boyfriend Alf was going to propose on her 32nd birthday. Oh what a big night it turned out to be, yes it was! Except, she got a puppy instead of a diamond ring on her fingers.

Kate & Alf had been together for more than six years, and Kate wanted their relationship to kick it up a notch. But no can do. Alf was insensitive to her needs and dreams. He kept on working his ass off, forgetting what Kate truly wanted. Then came
Paula Sealey
When Kate expects a marriage proposal from her partner Alf at her birthday party and instead receives a puppy, she begins to examine their long term relationship. While Alf seems quite happy to plod along as they are, Kate wants children and a ring on her finger. The story follows them on their journey as they attempt to work through their differences.

Although this book started well, it never really got going for me and needed an injection of excitement somewhere to up the interest factor, it wa
Rachel Gilbey
Feb 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Thank you to Harper Impulse and Net Galley for a review copy of this book. This is my honest review.

Kate has been in a relationship with Alf for seven years. Four yours ago she had a miscarriage, and Alf and Kate, never mention it. Two years ago Alf implied there would be a proposal within a few years. Hence it is now 2 years later, and Kate's 32nd Birthday.

Alf has planned a party and a surprise for Kate, which she is clearly hoping will be a proposal. Nothing about the party is quite what Kate
Gaele
Feb 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
Not a barn burner, or even particularly fast-paced, Kate & Alf is a character driven story that focuses on relationships and finding the courage to find happiness. Stone doesn’t beat readers over the head with dramatic events, for it is rarely great dramatic moments that define us, rather the subtle slights and missed moments that slowly erode self-confidence and happiness, and often have people obsessing about their relationships, lives and what next.

Kate was hard not to like, even as I wa
Isabell
Jan 13, 2015 rated it liked it
Dreaming With Open Eyes

(Actual Rating 2.5)

I kindly received Kate & Alf in exchange of an honest review by the author.

The first time Kate met Alf and she locked eyes with him, she'd a six-sense feeling he going to be in her life forever. Seven years and a miscarriage later, things start to break. Kate is desperatly waiting for Alf to propose to her. On her thirty-second birthday, she thinks he'll pop the question but all she gets is a puppy. Their relationship is dulled and in need of a repai
Jane Hunt
Feb 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Kate & Alf by Carrie Stone

Jane Hunt Writer First Steps
Jane Hunt Writer Book Reviews Facebook
Jane Hunt Writer Book Reviews Google+

It's important to remember 'Kate and Alf' is women's fiction not romance. The story centres on Kate's and details her growth and empowerment. The romance is significant but not central to this story. The characters Kate encounters are as important as Alf, the focus for Kate's romantic aspirations.

Alf is a difficult character to like he puts the 'self' into selfish but he does illustrate vividl
Tracey
Feb 06, 2015 rated it liked it

An enjoyable debut from Carrie Stone.

I enjoyed the author's writing in this very real-life story of Kate and Alf's relationship when, as women do, Kate begins to question their future and has expectations of taking the next step down the wedding aisle. Alf, it seems, isn't so quick on the uptake and completely misses the signs that seem so obvious to Kate. An embarrassing situation and much disappointment stirs Kate's realisation of how her life has adjusted to suit Alf, the man she lov
Kim
Feb 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
When Kate receives a puppy at her birthday party instead of a much longed for engagement ring- she has cause to re evaluate their relationship. Alf's friend Marcus turns up on their doorstep and stays with them for a while. He's very attentive and interested in chatting- he makes the comparison more telling! Then Alf is offered a job in Scotland and accepts it without even discussing it with her.

Kate enjoys her work in a retirement home and is encouraged by Marcus to show her paintings again. Sh
Stargirl
It's the second book I read recently that the POV changes for a paragraph to another in the same chapter and, dear gods, I don't like it.
Not that it's difficult to understand but it's annoying!! I'd rather have separate chapters, even small ones.

The story in itself wasn't bad, you'd think it was a romance and in a way it is, but it felt way to serious and did not bring any feeling, except of annoyement toward Alf (the first), what a selfish man. I know he was mean to be one but I wish I did not
Ivy Deluca
Feb 05, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: _arc-reads, chick-lit

The Bottom Line
zMeh. That's what I felt, most of the time about Kate and Alf. I liked the cover, but I struggled with this book, picking it up and putting it back down at various times since I got it. The writing style wasn’t bad, but I will admit, for me, the hook is always the romance and here, I didn’t like Alf, or Mark. But if you love chick lit, then perhaps you may feel differently.

**ARC provided by publisher via netgalley in exchange for an honest review**
Agi
Jan 14, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2015
1.5 stars.

When I have spotted this book on NetGalley, I was charmed by the cover of it (yeah, I know, me again, me and my craziness about covers :) ), and after reading the blurb I have thought it could be an interesting debut, and so was totally happened when the publisher approved me for reading and started the story soon after it landed on my kindle.

Kate is in a relationship in Alf, and they are together for a long time already. They used to talk about marriage and some thing that Alf let sli
Sharon Craig
Sep 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Enjoyable read

Another great read by Carrie Stone. Loved the characters and found I couldn't put it down at times. Easy reading, just what I needed at times.
Lesley Guest
Dec 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Nice easy holiday read
Emma Crowley
Feb 01, 2015 rated it it was ok
Kate and Alf is the first book I have read by Carrie Stone and with a lovely cover and interesting premise I was keen to start this novel.This was an easy read and the story began with great promise but due to the frustrating actions of the characters throughout the novel and so much switching of their affections and loyalties it fell flat for me around the halfway point. But I did manage to keep going and finish this and I am glad,if only to read the sweet ending that shows us connections and c ...more
Katie
Jan 15, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: review-copy
I received a free review copy of this book through Netgalley.

My reviews can also be found on my blog, Kittens and Books

When Kate's boyfriend Alf tells her about the surprise he has planned for her birthday, she expects a proposal. Things begin going wrong early on, with a ruined dress and Alf driving to a place Kate completely didn't expect for the party. She does not get a ring, but a puppy, and she can't help but wonder how Alf got things so wrong.

As misunderstandings and lack of comm
Katey Lovell
Jan 14, 2015 rated it liked it
The gorgeous cover was what initially attracted me to this book, I love the hazy colours of the skyline and the silhouette couple. I'm also a big fan of books that focus entirely on one couple, which the title suggested this would be.

As it happened, Kate and Alf isn't just the story of one couple. Kate is the central character, thus the book revolves around her and the people in her life- those she works with at the residential home, cares for and socialises with. I'm actually quite glad there w
Katie(babs)
Jan 13, 2015 rated it it was ok
Kate & Alf has a chick lit vibe to it but it's not a happy go lucky book. The drama and tension has a very bad payoff when the ending rolls around. The plot and overall drama is very everyday life-ish as couples who have been together for years are stuck in the same old circle and don't improve their relationship by taking the next step, which usually involves marriage.

Kate and Alf have been together for seven years. Four years ago Katie had a miscarriage. Even with the loss of their baby, K
Katrin
Feb 03, 2015 rated it liked it
Story

Kate loves Alf. And Alf loves Kate… Doesn’t he?

When her thirty-second birthday ends in humiliating, proposal-less disaster, even Kate is left wondering if Alf really is The One. Then Alf
Kirke
Feb 06, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: review

Being together for seven years, it's not unrealistic of Kate to expect a marriage proposal from Alf. But after he disappoints her once again, she realizes this relationship isn't going the way she thought it would be. A clear wake up call is needed, and she decides things need to change between them. Alf's focus is too much on his career and he has no clue what is going on. It's not all his fault, they both realize things have become too much of a routine and they are in a rut.

Marcus st
A M
Jan 19, 2015 rated it liked it
Review can also be read on my blog - https://toomanybooksnotenoughtime.wor...

I was expecting a bit more from this book especially from the description. However, I will warn you now the description is deceiving.

Kate and Alf have been together for 7 years and Kate is hoping for a proposal. When Alf doesn’t come through on her birthday it starts her thinking. When Alf is offered a promotion and move to Scotland, he accepts without discussing it with Kate. This leads to their break-up and prompts K
Paris Baker
Jan 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Originally posted on Paris Baker's Book Nook.

It was lust and first sight when I saw this book - a gorgeous cover and an intriguing blurb sold me and I was thrilled when I saw it on Netgalley, and even more so when I was approved for a review copy! (Thanks HarperImpulse!)

Kate & Alf was a sweet and easy story, which would make for a nice weekend read. Unfortunately, I was blown away more by the cover than the book (though the cover set a particularly high bar!), but it was nice enough.

One thin
Marcee Feddersen

I can't even imagine the pride you have in a publishing a book. I want to love all books and recommend every book I read. But you just can't, if you want to give honest reviews.

Unfortunately, Kate & Alf was not a book that I would recommend. Normally, if a book doesn't thrill me, I can put my finger on what I didn't like right away. But in this case, there wasn't one thing. I just couldn't get into the story. I was bored.

It had all the things I normall
Keysmash Blog
Mar 26, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: netgalley
The epilogue is the only thing that kept me from giving this book one star. This is just not the kind of romance for me. I didn't find myself really rooting for any of the characters, other than Marcus. Kate is meek and makes poor decisions, and while I can empathize with that to a degree, it dragged on too long for my tastes. I didn't like Alf from page one, and I continued disliking him throughout the entire book. And I'm sure that's the point, but having to see things from his POV now and the ...more
Ann Cooper
Feb 04, 2015 rated it liked it
Katelyn
Feb 12, 2015 rated it liked it
I really enjoyed this book, despite being a hum-drum romantic fiction. Fans of Emily Giffin and JoJo Moyes will enjoy this author's style. It's a simple story. I think that's why I liked it. The characters are well developed and real and despite nothing crazy interesting or unpredictable happening, I found myself excited to curl up with it at bedtime and finish it. The ending was real...props to the author for that. Is it going to make any 'Top' lists? No. But sometimes, reading just needs to be ...more
Sandra
**An electronic ARC was provided by netgalley in exchange for an honest review.**

This was an okay read for me, it might been because I had a really hard time getting into the story. I didn't really care for any of the characters all that much. (view spoiler)
Natalie TBGWP
Feb 05, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2015
What started out as something deep and emotional quickly turned into something predictable long and frustrating. Hardly no details are given for characters, no details for mostly anything, and a completed frustrating time pattern that throws everything off.
I'm really disappointed in this read. It has the promise to be fantastic if it didn't jump weeks ahead every couple of sentences leaving us with absolutely nothing.

1.5/5
April
Jan 28, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: for-review, netgalley
ARC provided by Publisher in exchange for an honest review.

This was another book that I was looking forward to reading, based on the description on Goodreads and Amazon. I thought this was going to be a cute love story about a girl who is ready for the next part of her life to begin, that of wife, boy was I disappointed.

See full review: Between the Pages
Susan
May 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyable read. Makes a change from the usual boy meets girl. This time it was boy has already met girl then both get fed up of each other and girl leaves boy. It was slow to start but I really enjoyed reading once Kate & Alf had split up as you got two points of view of the break up. Very true to life story line. If you are tired of sweetness and light then this is the book for you as it is a endearing slice of relationship realism.
Milena
Jan 14, 2015 rated it liked it
*ARC provided by the publisher via NetGalley
In a sea of chick-lit this book doesn't stand out. The story, the characters, the writing are all forgettable. Within a couple of weeks I will probably not remember what this book is about.
Generous three stars
« previous 1 3 next »
Carrie was born and raised in London, but her love for travel and adventure has seen her spend the last fourteen years living and working internationally. She is currently based in Spain alongside her husband, young daughter and adopted Indonesian dog, Bali.

When not writing, Carrie works as a Psychic Medium & Spiritual Coach (www.carriebattley.com). To find out more about her, connect on Face