Start by marking “Storm of Lightning (Michael Vey, #5)” as Want to Read:
Storm of Lightning (Michael Vey, #5)

Storm of Lightning

(Michael Vey #5)

Michael, Taylor, Ostin, and the rest of the Electroclan go on their most dangerous mission yet as the thrilling action continues in this electrifying fifth installment of the New York Times bestselling series!

The resistance movement has been compromised.

The Voice is in hiding.

Their families are missing.

Can the Electroclan pull together to defeat the Elgen once and for all?
Published September 15th 2015

To ask other readers questions about Storm of Lightning, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Jake Whitaker The voice is probably Michael's dad. How else could Michael and his mom been living off the grid for so long?
Catherine ~Whatever you are, be a good one~ The author doesn't really have any control over whether a book is made a movie. Hollywood has to approach them and request film rights.

Hannah
Aug 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
WHY ALL THESE CLIFFHANGERS
Colleen Houck
Love the lightning scars! I always learn so much in these books. Ostin teaches me a lot =) Again the cover is outstanding! Just when I think Hatch can't get any creepier! *Shudder* The poor islanders! Can't wait to find out what happens next.
Morgan
Feb 24, 2015 rated it liked it
A little too much time with Hatch. I liked Jade Dragon despite literary flaws because it had plenty of time for Michael and Taylor, but this one didn't as much. It kind of felt like filler, like it just exists to change the dynamics and further Hatch's world take over so the climax of the series can be set up...not much more. And there's only a teaser in regard to the identity of the Voice at the end, though I have a guess. So I didn't enjoy this one as much as previous MV books. Or maybe I'm ju ...more
Connor
I feel like this series has gotten worse over the course of the five books to be honest. I loved the first couple, but then meh. The characters just bop around for 170 pages which is more than half the book before being assigned something to do. Even then, it wasn't anything that amazing. Some of the dialogue made me cringe with how awkward or cheesy and out of place it was. The writing itself isn't bad, however. It's actually quite good, and Hatch's kids were way more interesting in this book t ...more
Erikka
Apr 14, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, 2015
This wasn't the best Vey book. Lots of exposition and Hatch being a cartoon caricature of an evil villain, and way too much wasted space talking about their travel accommodations (what hotel they stayed at, where they were going in great detail, how long it took to drive, where they ate, what they ate, etc. Too much!). I think this book was just too much filler. It didn't really add anything to the plot so far that couldn't have been a few chapters appended to another book. Oh well. I still look ...more
Winter Sophia Rose
Spellbinding, Captivating, Imaginative & Riveting! A Awesome Series! I Loved It!
Ben
Sep 15, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Julia
Mar 02, 2015 marked it as to-read
Gah!! The cover!!! :D
Amy B
Nov 03, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was NOT a story. And it's only a book because it's pages of writing glued together.

Pages of writing - pages of them, with nothing happening. Traveling, eating, complaining, dealing with emotions, swimming, playing sports. The only time powers were ever used for something other than healing pain or warming food was when Michael lost his crap and started attacking semi-innocent juvies. "Storm of Lightning?" Really?

I was willing to be fairly nice to the previous book because I liked the first
Micah Grant
Sep 13, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction
Compared to the rest of the books in the series, this was before average. It sets up the next book nicely, but seems to be only half a book on its own. Not much really happens, which makes me think he was stretching the story or just trying to meet his deadline. I hope the next one is back up to his standard.
Charlene Pratt
Sep 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another amazing virtual ride.

The continuing adventure (although adventure brings fun things to mind) of the covert war between the Elgen and the Electro Clan continues to thrill and excite. Cannot wait for the next part of the story. Thank you Mr. Evans for an amazing mental holiday.
Katrina
Sep 19, 2015 rated it liked it
Not the best in the series. Obviously this is a "filler book" in the series to get us to the next phase in the story. Not much adventure, nor character development, but I'm still looking forward to the next book.
Aviv Newman
Omg can't wait!
Krista
Jan 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult
Such a great book! A series I love to keep reading with my kids. I love how author Evans includes so many characters with different abilities. My 2 son's with autism love that they can read about autistic characters, characters with tourette's syndrome, and more. I love how author Evans focuses on strengths instead of weaknesses. We will continue reading this awesome series as a family!
Ellie
Sep 17, 2015 rated it liked it
If you've read this series in chronological order, then this book might be necessary, but not as enjoyable as its predecessors.

I'll start with the pros:
Michael Vey! We've seen the Electroclan sink the Ampere , destroy a power plant, free some of their most trusted allies, and rescue an autistic savant. Now they're back after a cliffhanger!

The plot, as usual for Mr. Evans, is amazing. This book not only discusses the psychology of the characters, but of society and how to destroy rebellion. Wha
Avery (ThePagemaster)
This book, tome, is kinda like the new Blair Witch movie I saw a couple of days ago: I liked it, but I could not help but get either bored or pissed off for the vast portion.

Let me go through the pros first, and there are some. First off, this book is the shortest installment, which makes for a very quick read; you could read this in one sitting, if you have enough free time (I love that confidence booster feeling you get when you read an entire book in one sitting). I really like Richard Paul E
Audrey
Michael Vey Book 5 -- find Book 1 here: The Prisoner of Cell 25

This book mostly deals with the fallout from Book 4, particularly the bad news at the end. Michael and his friends are tired and stressed. Michael's electricity is still increasing, and he can't always control it. There's not as much nail-biting suspense in this one as in the previous books (mini "jailbreaks" instead of massive ones). The struggles are more internal. Meanwhile, Hatch's massive ego is laughingly out of control, which
Deborah
Sep 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Though, this is not as "action" packed...Vol. 5 certainly leading into "Vol.6" which I, believe, will be VERY action packed...I gave it a "5" for the continuance of this series...filling in what is to come...I LOVE the writing of Richard Paul Evans...His characters are WELL WRITTEN...EVIL is EVIL...and the good guys...have GREAT SPIRIT...! Just sorry, I have to wait....ANOTHER YEAR...and then...for the conclusion....yet...ANOTHER WHOLE YEAR...Now, that is the bummer of starting a SERIES...that h ...more
Gabby
Jun 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book was so much shorter then the others but it did not disappoint. At the beginning I wasn't loving it like I usually love these books but as the book started going deeper into the story I really enjoyed it. I feel like this book was a build up to the next book. Not much action, intense, almost being killed scenes as previous books but it's still worth the read! Not my favorite book in the series but 5 stars for sure!
Braden
Shelves: ashton-8th-grade
Michael Vey is a kid with extraordinary powers. He is electric. In this latest book of Michael Vey he is hunting down this guy named Hatch. Hatch is a very bad guy with many people on his side called Elgen. When they go to this ranch they find many bones of horses and many scorched buildings. But what could possibly be living there. A Elgen Guard. He was shot out of a helicopter by his own men. After that they have many big battles but you have to read it to know the ending.
Adam
Aug 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Warning: This book is not like the other books in the Michael Vey series.

Or at least that's my two cents.

While they were all action-packed and filled with plot twists, this was more reserved and focused on the characters.

And boy, do I love the characters.

If you don't think the Michael Vey series is for you, at least give it a shot, because the characters deserve to have their story be told.

Read it. You won't be disappointed.

Rick Stuckwisch
Sep 18, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well, this certainly remains an exciting and compelling series, and now we're all a bit bummed that we'll have to wait another year for the next installment. For the time being, though, this was a good read. In fact, the writing has improved as it's gone alone. Smoother and more natural, less choppy. The characters have all developed nicely over the five books so far, and the plot twists and turns have been well executed. A good series, worth checking out.
Carson Howell
Oct 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Overall great book there wasn't as much action as the past books but it was fun reading them learn things that they didn't even know about their powers and the switching of view was a very smart decision on the authors end because you can view all of the characters thoughts and actions without having it be in third person.
Ryan
Oct 29, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Again super fun while it lasts. But the endings of these books kill me! Not because I can't wait for the next one (although that's true). It's because the climax is always somewhere in the middle leaving the last quarter to set up the terms of the next installment.
Raegan   Ralls
I did not like this book. Seems every book in this series has the same plot and same expected reactions. I read books in hopes of not knowing what comes next, but this one was very predictable and boring. Nothing ever seemed to happen. Not going to continue reading the series.
Melissa
Sep 18, 2015 rated it liked it
Liked it, I enjoy the series and I love that my kids love it. This one was not quite as interesting/exciting as some of the other books, but there are some intriguing happenings and unexpected turns. Good book overall.
Landon
Omg this book was so good! Can't wait for 6
Julie Ward
Oct 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Now THAT'S how you leave a cliffhanger. Props to Mr. Evans. He knows how to grab his audience.
Steven
Sep 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I keep waiting for confirmation that my guess as to the identity of the voice is correct.
Jadiel
Michael Vey Storm of Lightning is the fifth book of the Michael Vey book series. This book is great for those who like to read action and superheroes books. The main character in this book is Michael. He and some of his friends have electric powers and are trying to stop an evil electric company/organization called Elgen from taking over the world. On this quest they encounter many challenges like combating security guards and other teenagers that have electric powers. If you are interested in f ...more
Michael Vey and t...: Book 5-Storm of Lightning 1 3 Dec 18, 2018 07:44AM
UCAS English 10 H...: January Reading Assignment 1 4 Jan 12, 2018 09:19AM
  • The Fourth Nephite (Fourth Nephite, #1)
  • Safe House (Guardian, #2)
  • Escape From Zarahemla
  • Wedding Cake (A Culinary Mystery, #12)
  • Rath's Gambit (The Janus Group #2)
  • Who Was Robert E. Lee?
  • Perfect Set
  • Strike of the Sweepers (Janitors, #4)
  • Who Was Blackbeard?
  • Who Was Queen Victoria?
  • The Book of Mormon Sleuth
  • Sands of Nezza (Adventurers Wanted, #4)
  • Rise of the Wolf (Mark of the Thief, #2)
  • Final Call (Autumn Rain, #3)
  • Other Worlds
  • The Avatar Battle (Cragbridge Hall, #2)
  • Who Was Ulysses S. Grant?
  • The President's Plane Is Missing
When Richard Paul Evans wrote the #1 best-seller, The Christmas Box, he never intended on becoming an internationally known author. His quiet story of parental love and the true meaning of Christmas made history when it became simultaneously the #1 hardcover and paperback book in the nation. Since then, more than eight million copies of The Christmas Box have been printed. He has since written ele ...more

Michael Vey (7 books)
  • The Prisoner of Cell 25 (Michael Vey, #1)
  • Rise of the Elgen (Michael Vey, #2)
  • Battle of the Ampere (Michael Vey, #3)
  • Hunt for Jade Dragon (Michael Vey, #4)
  • Fall of Hades (Michael Vey, #6)
  • The Final Spark (Michael Vey, #7)
“Home is where they don’t want to kill you,” Jack said.” 7 likes
“A united people is a smoldering revolution. A divided people is a conquered people.” 3 likes