Start by marking “Gladys Aylward: Missionary to China” as Want to Read:
Gladys Aylward: Missionary to China

Gladys Aylward: Missionary to China

Amidst the millions of committed Christians in each generation, a handful rise to special prominence. Learn more about their exciting and inspiring lives in Barbour's "Heroes of the Faith" series.As a missionary in China, Gladys Aylward's life was characterized by a humble dependence upon God in a steady stream of extreme circumstances.
Published October 31st 1998 by Barbour Publishing (first published June 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Gladys Aylward, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gladys Aylward

Jungsook Chung
Dec 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
I bought this book since I like a biography. As someone pointed out, the book seems to be written for middle school children.

This book, Gladys Ayward, is informative and sounds accurate with the historical details about China.

Aylward was a parlor maid before feeling a calling to go to China. Her experiences as a maid might have worked well when she founded and took care of The Inn of Eighth Happiness.

It was touching to know about Aylward's dedicated life for the needy, especially one hundred o
Pat Bretheim
Dec 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a wonderful book about the missionary to China named Gladys Aylward. She was such an inspiring person! Her story was made into an Ingrid Bergman film, The Inn of Sixth Happiness. Gladys did not appreciate the liberties that Hollywood took with her life story, so if you read the book you will get the true story.
Betsy
Apr 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
A shaky 4 stars here--overall, I liked this bio of Aylward. I like the pacing of the overall thread and the information included. We get a sense of Aylward the person without too many imagined thoughts (although there are plenty of imagined one-sentence prayers, still they seem in keeping with the character portrayed). My biggest complaint is that the prose feels choppy in places and, if the reader isn't familiar with Chinese history, might be considered incomplete. Still, it's quite readable fo ...more
Wayne
Apr 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Eric Holland
Very good book. Nothing like the movie. Much better. The movie is not a true picture of the lady.
The Inn of called, "The Inn of the Eighth Happiness" not sixth
She never kissed a man
She turned down the proposal of marriga due to him not being a Christian
Yang was not kill in front of her, he became a refuge and was never heard from again.
and many other differnces.

Still see the movie, it's better than must on the arir now.
Victoria
Sep 07, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-ve-read
The story of Gladys Aylward is great, I just didn't enjoy the book so much. I had seen the movie in her life a few months ago and read how she couldn't stand the film's depiction, so I wanted to read the real story, as I soak in missionary books always. At first I did not really like the woman, but you can see how she grew in the Lord over time. Many lives were changed and spared because of Miss Aylward's bravery and love for others. It was nice to learn about.
Alisha
Feb 19, 2008 rated it did not like it
This book made it sound like Aylward single-handedly brought Christianity to China. While I'm sure that a lot of what she did was really very ground-breaking, I had a hard time believing a lot of the stories in the book.
Bethany
Apr 01, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
While "The Little Woman..." is the best because it's Gladys' own telling of her life, this is a noteworthy supplement.
Ruth
May 11, 2011 rated it it was ok
The low rating is for the writing, not the story -- which is excellent. When it comes to female missionaries, Gladys Aylward rivals Amy Carmichael in both spiritual vigor and sheer awesomeness.
Theresa
Oct 28, 2014
Tabitha
Mar 04, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Sam Wellman, PhD, is a writer of numerous biographies. He has traveled to Germany many times and twice stayed for several months (in Berlin and Wittenberg). He blogs and tweets on Martin Luther and Frederick the Wise. He lives near Wichita, Kansas.