Start by marking “Bones, Bones, Dinosaur Bones” as Want to Read:
Bones, Bones, Dinosaur Bones

Bones, Bones, Dinosaur Bones

Six paleontologists search for bones. When they find them, they dig them up, wrap them, and load them on a truck, bound for the museum. With simple text and vibrant illustrations, young readers explore the process of finding and assembling bone fossils.

Bones. Bones. We look for bones.
We look for the bones of dinosaurs.

Supports the Common Core State Standards.
Published September 30th 1990 by Greenwillow Books (first published September 28th 1990)

Start your review of Bones, Bones, Dinosaur Bones
Jon Nakapalau
Aug 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Teaches children that working as a group can help you accomplish a difficult project.
jacky
Sep 07, 2010 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: young dinosaur lovers; preK - primary
Today's letter at story time was B. I missed a good portion of this one because Natalie was crawling on something or another. What I did hear was a great introduction to paleontologists. Bold illustrations. ...more
Brendan White
Aug 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: unused
Bones, Bones, Dinosaur Bones by Byron Barton is a picture book for children ages 2-6. The book is illustrated with bright, primary color pages and drawings of men working to assemble the skeleton of a T-Rex. The pages have only a sentence each; the story being mainly told through the pictures. The tale follows along with the process from beginning to end of digging up the bones of a T-Rex, transporting them back to a museum, and assembling them into a magnificent skeleton.

This was a favorite boo
Donna Mork
Jul 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Archeology. One of my favorite things. Written in easy to understand children's language. ...more
Nov 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Cara Farmer
Nov 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: dinosaurs, nonfiction
This is a cute story. Nothing super special, but it will be good to read to a kindergarten class when you are trying to teach them about nonfiction. I do love dinosaurs so this is probably something that I will add to my library.
TrinaLynn
Mar 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
WOW, this book was much more of a story time success than I thought it was going to be.
I picked it for the objective and helpful information, but the kids LOVED the illustrations, simple text and to the point story.
Evan
Jun 23, 2009 rated it it was amazing
It was super great. I like it because they found all the bones, digged them up, and put them in the museum.
Bridget
Sep 12, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Just like what we saw at the Dinosaur Discovery Site http://www.dinotrax.com/ in St. George, UT this weekend. Had fun with the cousins there. ...more
Katie
Feb 02, 2011 rated it really liked it
I just adore Bryon Barton's books. I have no idea why. So simple and useful. My kids love them too! ...more
Liz
Jun 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens_books
I love Byron Barton for the 2 - 4 set. Simple text, simple pictures. Calum is really enjoying this one. No talking animals here.
Jaime Sanborn
Jun 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
Byron Barton can always be depended on to write books that children will enjoy and relate to, while learning something new.
Lauren
May 20, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: kid-books
This book is I think geared towards toddlers with the simple pictures and lines, but there is no flow or rhythm to the prose. If feels awkward to read aloud.
kate
Sep 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
Loved the language, the illustrations, and use of bright, primary colours! Will be using with my three- and four-year old storytime centered around dinosaurs.
Pat Fromm
Jan 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
A fun, easy look at dinosaur bones.
Rani
May 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
#Dinosaurs for the young! #YoungReaders #PictureBook #BookReview #ChildrensBooks #amreading
Zoe's Human
Aug 13, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: lt
I like the colorful art, but the story wasn't terribly interesting. Well, neither was the art, but the colors of it were nice. ...more
Diana
Aug 08, 2017 rated it it was ok
So...here's the thing. This is a simple, easy-to-read book about paleontology which I feel would be perfect for the youngest kiddos and early readers. It flows nicely and has super simple illustrations that greatly appeal to kids. Except...the author randomly decides to throw in this lest of hard-to-pronounce dinosaur names. Because...reasons? Seriously, it makes no sense. It isn't part of the story and the names, except for the Tyrannosaurus, are never mentioned again. This list (which isn't ev ...more
Johanna
Dec 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reading-tracker
- Barner used a variety of colors, and rhymes to inform children about dinosaur bones.
Throughout the book, the author identifies 5 different types of dinosaurs. He compares their bones to animals that are currently living.
-This was a fun read, and I really enjoyed the illustrations. My favorite part of the book was that it rhymed! However, I think it could be a little confusing for young readers.
Kelley Mitchell
Jan 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Super simplistic, but I'm introducing the fiction/nonfiction concept to kindergarten and I needed a short book. It would also be a great choice for introducing the AR/RC test taking. I love the illustrations. In another lesson reproducing those simple graphic illustrations would be a great "close reading" exercise. ...more
Molly Cluff (Library!)
Apr 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
A classic I hadn't added! Great for kids who love dinosaurs or who are interested in paleontology. A bunch of scientists dig up bones and put them all together to go into the museum, and it briefly overviews the process (with minimal text on each page) of digging them, packing them, reconstructing them, etc. I like Byron Barton's books for their bright colors. ...more
Kyle Hamlin
Feb 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book is a fun way to view the life of a paleontologist and see what they do for a living. The book shows different kinds of dinosaurs as well as how the skeleton is created. It also has a nice chime to it and a the end helps you pronounce the name of these dinosaurs correctly. this book helps kids view how a skeleton is also mounted and a view of how large the dinosaurs were compared to us.
Ginelle
Feb 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: kids-books
A short, simple story with simple illustrations about archaeologists finding, digging up, and assembling a dinosaur skeleton.

This book follows more of a story line than many of Barton’s other books. No it actually seems to explain things a bit more too.
PandaCat
Nov 18, 2017 rated it liked it
Good to introduce kiddos to dinosaur names
Cara
A short book about dinosaurs, their bones, and how they're found. ...more
Shari
Jul 04, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrensbooks
With his signature black outlined illustrations, Barton explains the process of a musuem dinosaur display from digging to assembly.
DeNae
Feb 24, 2019 rated it liked it
I know it's a kid's book, but a few more details, especially about extraction and transportation, would have been appreciated. ...more
Katie
Mar 02, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: pb, non-fiction
Toddler level introduction to archaeology.
Would be a great precursor to a dinosaur bone puzzle.
Lamar Sanders
Jul 16, 2012 rated it liked it
Main Characters: Six paleontologist
Point of View: 3rd person
Plot: The book highlights the work of paleontologists is a very simplistic and child friendly mannner. It covers the digging, extracting, transporting and assembly of dinosaur bones, specifically a tyrannosaurus rex.
Main Ideas: Paleontology

This book could serve as an introduction to a unit on dinosaurs or be read prior to a trip to any museum of natural history. It certainly gives children a basic understanding of the bones they will se
Renate
This book will be lots of fun for the dinosaur lovers in the group! Byron's style is simple, bold and colorful and children like it. It is a simple account of paleontology. It promotes phonological awareness by repeating so many dinosaur names, the children will be able to see repeating sounds and syllables with the dinosaur names. Before reading, ask the children if they have seen dinosaurs at the museum.
Byron's books are fun to read because kids recognize his style and it's nice to talk to the

• The Sun Is Kind of a Big Deal
  • Dragons Love Tacos
  • My First French Word Book
  • The Relatives Came
  • Penguins (Scholastic First Discovery)
  • Texas
  • Animal Dads
  • The Name of the Tree: A Bantu Folktale
  • What the Old Man Does Is Always Right
  • Big Panda, Little Panda
Byron Barton is the author and illustrator of many picture books for young children. He has been honored by ALA, SLJ, and Reading Rainbow. He worked as an animator for CBS before he started creating children's books. He is currently making his illustrations completely on the computer. ...more

News & Interviews