Start by marking “The Museum and the Music Box” as Want to Read:
The Museum and the Music Box

The Museum and the Music Box

At the publisher's request, this title is being sold without Digital Rights Management software (DRM) applied.
Published March 18th 2015 by Tor Books

To ask other readers questions about The Museum and the Music Box, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Museum and the Music Box

Start your review of The Museum and the Music Box
karen
Mar 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
It is winter in the city. Snow dusts the rooftops with a glistening silver, disguises the identity of certain streets, buries children on their way home. The naked statues of pale maidens are clothed now in dresses of frosty white. In the attic it is cold. Like the rats, I build a nest of papers, ancient texts, parchment and papyri, scrolls and palimpsests. I crumple them and stuff them beneath my coat, but still I shiver. I remember how warm your body was, as if for a heart, you had a tiny sun. ...more
carol.
Mar 21, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: short-story
Terribly overwritten, which leads to no one image standing out or taking precedence over another, losing the theme of the story in the imagery. Steven Millhauser does it much better.
Mir
Mar 20, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: short-stories
Intriguing setting and some lovely descriptions, but overwritten. This is especially unnatural in the dialog, which is in the exact same style as the rest of the text, so that the reader is supposed to believe a drunk teen would say,

“We know little of the Perthominthians, not even their real name. Some say it is Als Seti; others that they called themselves Sthii-Eeth-Sethe, which means “the people of broken stones.” But these are improbable conjectures. Another scholar claims that their name
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
Reading this short story is like being in a strange and lovely but vaguely disturbing dream. You're wandering the halls of a deserted, decaying museum, with dusty and faded displays that are both foreign and familiar:
Past the snarling gargoyles and mummified vampires, past the lizards adrift in jars of formaldehyde, the fossils of ancient nautili, silver insects entombed in amber. To the attics, where seas of parchment seem to whirl in my madness, cracked dusty words, trunks smelling of cedar
TL
Mar 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommended to TL by: karen
Shelves: favorites
I blame karen for my Tor obsession ;-) :-P Thanks hun!

A lovely story not everyone will like. The writing is ambiguous, a bit haunting, and beautiful. You float along with the narrator.. an observer or sorts, not fully understanding what's going on but intrigued all the same.

Check out karen's marvelous review here, she captures it better than me:).

Some lines:

He says that the sound of their name is like the sound the wind makes as it rustles the dried blooms of once-sweet flowers..

“All
Bettie
Description: A neglected museum gradually succumbs to the elements. A music box rusts beneath a bell of glass. Fragmented texts are pieced together which tell the history of a lost love, the destruction of a civilization, and the origin of the museum.

Read here...

Opening: I wander the hallways of the museum. I must know the truth. Past the snarling gargoyles and mummified vampires, past the lizards adrift in jars of formaldehyde, the fossils of ancient nautili, silver insects entombed in amber
Igrowastreesgrow
Jul 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018, free, short-story
An odd story that I would like to read more of.
Melki
Mar 21, 2015 rated it liked it
Recommended to Melki by: karen
You began by folding creatures of paper, so lifelike they seemed to hop or fly, to slither or swim. One morning I awoke to find a seahorse caught in my hair. Your creations grew more elaborate: ten-masted paper ships which could sail all by themselves; a paper ornithopter which ran on paper springs and intricate gears of paper. It flew around my head three times and then flew into the sky. A paper nightingale which could really sing; its voice sounded like the pages of a book being turned.

Jonnie
May 09, 2015 rated it liked it
I will always remember the museum as you first showed it to me. Cheap wine and cheap dreams, a confetti of an evening. Demented teenagers, with eyes like savants. I chased you through winding streets, cobbles and rooftops, taverns filled with smoke. We joined in the drunken revelries of strangers. You, twirling your hips, letting your sparkling dress fly in their faces. I tried to hold on to you, wobbling desperately. We wandered in and out of fogs and streetlamps, clouds of smoke, down ...more
Amy (Other Amy)
Jul 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Vignette lovers
Recommended to Amy (Other Amy) by: karen
Still, it is the duty of the scholar to persevere, to wade through the morass, to determine what is gold and what is lead.

Silent, stupid map! You hint at everything yet tell me nothing.

A family of mice have already begun to hollow out a home in the sawdust stuffing of the unicorn—once the pride of the museum’s collection. It is hard to be a witness to all this, but harder still to feel the fragile architecture of my memory begin to crumble. Your face is no longer clear to me. There are no fixed
Teipu
Mar 20, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: ebook, tor-shorts
I understand that the story is probably supposed to confuse you and make you feel sad, but it would have been better if there actually was something like a story.
As beautiful as the prose was, a few well written snippets don't make a good story.
And if you already have a story that leaves the reader wondering, don't start inventing species, countries or words without at least describing them. Guessing what an electric alligator might be takes the readers mind off the story.
Elspeth
Not lucid enough for me.
MLE
Mar 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: shorts, fantasy
An odd and dreamlike story. Not a traditional narrative, but something different. In the end it worked for me, and I found myself drawn into its world.
A.M.
Aug 26, 2017 rated it it was ok
You know when a story puts so much effort into the world-building and the evocative language and somehow forgets the story? This would be one of those.
(view spoiler)
Jasper
Mar 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
Originally posted at: http://thebookplank.blogspot.com/2015...

I have been a big fan of Tor.com's short fiction supply as many who read my Short Fiction Friday feature. I actually just visited the site on a whim, felt like reading something and I was presented with a new story. Let me say this story gave me goosebumps and put a smile on my face at the same time. Yes this story falls in the category of "hauntingly beautiful".

The story never mentions a name of the character that you follow also in
Marco
Oct 10, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
I am not particularly fond of this short story. As one other goodread user ( Karen) said, what actual "story" there is is pretty ambiguous. You are presented with a series of images and given the opportunity to infer enough to be reasonably satisfied, but it's an elusive little slippy number, and the reader is kind of abandoned in the flow of the prose. The prose is heavy and overwritten, while the story has little substance: fragmented texts that tell the history of a lost love, the destruction ...more
Maggie Gordon
Aug 01, 2016 rated it it was ok
The Museum and the Music Box is a vignette rather than a story. It tries to capture several emotions of love and longing and loss, but the prose is quite purple, and the emotions it covers nothing particularly new. I would have been interested to hear about the adventures of the love interest, but alas.
G33z3r
This is intended to be a sweet and sentimental love story of some sort, but reading it I constantly had the feeling it was a riddle, one of those that ends with, "What am I?" And in the end, I had absolutely no idea. Author is just too much smarter than I am.
Charlotte
May 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
The language is so beautiful and haunting.
Bud Mallar

Go read it link: here
Amy
Apr 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, short-story
A man wanders a crumbling, abandoned museum, which may be a metaphor for the memories of his lost love. Very sad.
Jun 18, 2016 rated it it was ok
Meh. Didn't see the point of this one. Not enough detail to ever really make sense or captivate me.
Eli