Start by marking “Dog” as Want to Read:
Dog

Dog

Dog by Bruce McAllister is a chilling horror story about a young American couple who encounter dogs in Mexico very unlike any domesticated variety north of the border and what happens.

At the publisher's request, this title is being sold without Digital Rights Management software (DRM) applied.
ebook, A Tor.Com Original, 32 pages
Published March 25th 2015 by Tor Books

To ask other readers questions about Dog, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dog

Start your review of Dog
karen
Mar 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
“That’s what you get when you mix the blood-sacrifice Aztecs with the Catholic emphasis on suffering.”

a deliciously creepy tor short, with a whizz-bang of an ending that'll have you all fist-pumping and oorahing no matter how you feel about dogs.

me, i love dogs. i mean, wookit:

but some dogs are very very bad.

nope, worse than that.

yeah, more like that.

david and jennifer are newly-wedded and deeply in love, with plans and dreams and full of the liberal fervor of youth. they get teaching
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

“Watch the dogs when you’re down there, David. They’re not like the dogs here.”

Dallas Commercial Photography

That’s no joke, folks. Jennifer and David are free spirited newlyweds who jump at the opportunity to become teachers just South of the Mexican border. When the couple decide to take a few days off in order to peruse the local flora and fauna, they find a bit more than they were looking for.

When I first saw this story was about the Chichimeca or “dog
Trudi
Apr 08, 2015 rated it it was ok

Available here: http://www.tor.com/stories/2015/03/dog-bruce-mcallister

Ah shizzle. I'm going to be the party pooper on this one. It was okay. Love the premise but it just didn't bite me, at least not in any place where I like to be bitten.

Creepy undertones, exotic setting, with a familiar Twilight Zone / Night Gallery vibe. Should be all good things but it ultimately just doesn't deliver on the goods in a memorable way.

Since this one fizzled for me, I want to take the time to put a plug in for
Bettie
Description: “Dog” by Bruce McAllister is a chilling horror story about a young American couple who encounter dogs in Mexico very unlike any domesticated variety north of the border and what happens.

Read here

Opening: We were very young when we went to Mexico, my wife and I. We’d been married only a year, were just out of college, were both teachers, and had the liberal fervor of youth. We did not yet know that to romanticize a country, to sentimentalize its people and places and the creatures
Alina
This was one hell of a chilling, hair-standing-on-end story, about the aztec mythology itzcuintli dogs.

You can read the story here on TOR.com
The Shayne-Train
Apr 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
This was a delightfully creepy short story, told in a matter-of-fact and very readable style.

The dogs are different down there, all right.
Licha
Apr 08, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: short-story
Not bad but left me unsatisfied. Not a big fan of the short story.
GoldGato
Jul 21, 2019 rated it liked it
Have you ever holidayed in another country or even in your own country and found yourself being very wary of the stray dogs who follow you? That's always creeped me out, because much as I love animals and want to help them, being eaten while vacationing is not my thing.

This Tor short looks into the myth of Itzcuintli, the sacred dog of the ancient Mexican civilizations. As the narrator explains his story, I did get a chill because I felt something was going to happen and it wasn't going to be
You may read online Tor.com.

Opening lines:
The god of death, Xolotl, made the Sacred Dog, Itzcuintli, from a sliver of the Bone of Life, from which The People were also made. Upon their death, human beings are led to the afterlife across a great lake by Itzcuintli. Should they hesitate in accepting Death, the Sacred Dog helps them on their way.

—Encyclopedia Archaea

I am not a big fan of horror stories, specially when animals are concerned.
MLE
Apr 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Perfectly creepy, and well done.
Elspeth
Apr 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Well, that was super creepy!
Juan
Mar 25, 2015 rated it liked it
Them Mesoamerican curses are the worse.
Michele
Aug 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror
Un bel racconto horror con un tematica originale, lo consiglio agli amanti del genere.
Thistle
Jan 09, 2017 rated it did not like it
I hated this book so much, I don't even want to write about it now. Usually there's some positive thing in a story that I can focus on, but for Dog there's nothing I liked other than the cover, and I didn't even like that much.

I believed none of the characters -- not a single one, from main to most minor, seemed like a real person.
The plot was unbelievable, from biggest point to smallest.
I disliked the writing ("I got up on the broken safety glass, stood, and began, like a frantic foghorn, to
Zuky the BookBum
Mar 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this short story more than it seems others did. I don't know anything about Mexican culture and so I cannot understand the inaccuracies in this book, but I wholeheartedly understand the difficulties people will have with this novella if they are aware of true Mexican culture. For me this was purely fictional, the comments about Mexico didn't settle in my head as correct or accurate, I'd only take things as true if this was non-fiction or a documentary, though I'm always still happy to ...more
Amanda - Go Book Yourself
I read this for free here: http://www.tor.com/stories/2015/03/do...

Mexican devil dogs! Certainly NOT mans best friend. The history behind the story was really interesting but I would have liked to
Apr 19, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: short-stories
The best thing of this story is the use of tension. It grips you steadily to the story from the beginning to the end. The bloodshed and gore scenes are realistically depicted and amazingly disturbing. However, the storyline doesn't develop naturally. It just feels stiff at some points, giving the impression that some situations or characters were added to the story in an attempt to make it more troubling or create atmosphere.
Maggie Gordon
Mar 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror, short-stories
Dog is a delightfully creepy horror story based on some myths from Mexico. It moves slowly, but with purpose, showing the characters make unremarkable errors in judgement that lead to disastrous results. It was also enjoyable to see a story center on an unusual setting for a horror tale. A quick, but strong read!
JM
Apr 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
A good creepy story, though the narrator fucks things up by saying several incredibly dumb things that I'm not entirely sure mean that the narrator is an entitled American ignoramus or if it's actually the author shining through the text and letting his prejudices show. The story itself is good, but some stuff he says about Mexico, supposedly from a knowledgeable standpoint, are beyond stupid.
Marco
May 01, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: horror, supernatural
Dog is the chilling horror story of a young progressive American couple that visit Mexico to better understand its culture, but end up having a close encounters with nightmarish creature from the country ancient history: a breed of dogs very unlike any domesticated variety north of the border.
Amy
Apr 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror, short-story
Short and grim. Interesting points about not romanticizing other cultures.
Pedro L. Fragoso
Jun 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
The style was reminiscent of Lucius Shepard.
Feb 26, 2016 rated it liked it
3 stars!

Review to come.
Jessica T.
Jul 01, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: thesmallones
Couldn't help but think of Chinese food when reading this.
May Watson
First part was a bit of a drag but oof! - Part 2 was a kick to the gut. Very Stephen King-esque.
Jun 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Very creepy and compelling with lots of great detail. Very much enjoyed this.
Ctgt
Andre
rated it it was ok
Nov 11, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »
Bruce McAllister is an American writer best known for his science fiction, fantasy and literary fiction. His short fiction, which he began publishing as a teenager ("The Faces Outside," 9TH ANNUAL OF THE YEAR'S BEST SF), has appeared over the years in genre magazines, original anthologies, “year’s best” anthologies, literary quarterlies and college readers; won a National Endowment for the Arts ...more