Start by marking “Arjun: Without a Doubt” as Want to Read:
Arjun: Without a Doubt

Read Book

Arjun: Without a Doubt

Explore Mahabharata in the voices & through the eyes of Arjun & Draupadi.
Note - Draupadi's narrative is denoted by *** symbol.

I knew there was nothing poetic about death.
I knew not that the most horrific battles are fought off the battlefield.

Arjun: The idealist in a non-ideal world; the warrior whose deadliest opponent was his conscience.
History forgot his voi
Paperback, First Edition, 306 pages
Published 2015 by Leadstart Publishing Pvt. Ltd

To ask other readers questions about Arjun, please sign up.
Shinde Thank you for your query.
Thank you for your query.
Mahabharat is universal in its themes. Its core issues are still relevant and relatable, because it deals with human emotions at their raw best ...and raw worst.
Treachery, lust, greed, nobility, generosity, betrayal, love are Mahabharata's consistently compelling vital emotions - and they in turn lead to events.
So, take away the Indian names - and you can still apply it to Greek mythology. Take away the '5000 yr old' tag, and it is still applicable to political families, business rivalries et al. Take away the gold jewellery and silk robes - and you & I can still empathize with the characters.

So being an Indian reader merely makes Mahabharata a 'personal' read, since most Indians have strong likes and dislikes to characters ; as well as strong views on every event unfolding within this Epic.

On the other hand, non Indians have the privilege to read Mahabharat without prejudice and with fresh eyes.

The only points that need explanation are the numerous short background stories (E.g Indra's Govardhan incident vs baby Krishn etc), which can be explained in footnotes.

Please feel free to send in more questions. I welcome them.
with regards. (less)
Shinde Hello, and thank you for the vital question.
Hello, and thank you for the vital question.
My book tried to keep away Krishn's divinity and instead focus attention on his wisdom, foresight, eloquence and diplomacy.

Similarly, vastraharan episode with ensuing 'miracle' deviates away from Draupadi's achievement and tries to deify Krishn.
I wanted the focus on Draupadi's fierce lone battle. Her presence of mind, her arguments, her never-say-die attitude. The episode is her victory - in the sense that she turned the scene from bestiality to philosophy. She turned it from a battle of physical strength (where she may not have won)to an intellectual & philosophical debate (where she stood a high chance of victory).

Even if I stopped short of the actual disrobing scene, I believe the horror and the agony gets through to the reader adequately enough. I don't think disrobing is the turning point, because everything that happens even without the disrobing (the verbal, physical and psychological assault) is disgusting enough for any woman - and even more so for a woman as ferociously self-respecting as Draupadi.

I hope I resolved your query. Please feel free to ask me more questions. I would welcome them anyday. (less)

Pooja
Nov 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc, owns, 100-pages
Sharp, Elegant and Charismatic!

Informative and brilliantly portrayed characters were making my day!

Mahabharat is narrated alternatively by Arjun and Draupadi in Arjun Without a Doubt.

Whole time I was reading it, I kept thinking that how my friends will defend themselves when I'll bombard them with logic and theories presented in it of Mahabharat.

I was impressed to think how much imagination the author would have done to render and alter the traditional scenes of Swayamvar, Kunti-Draupadi encoun
Archit Ojha
One Chapter of it and I'm wondering out aloud "This book is arresting to the eye!"

An adventurous and thought provoking retelling.
Wait! It's not retelling, to me, it's an era in itself!

To know your enemy, you have to be your enemy.

I absolutely adored this book!

Arjun, what can I say about the way he is portrayed in this work! It has shown him as a person every man would want to be and why not! His patience, honesty and glory are to win mind and hearts.
He was not my favorite character in India
Viju
Feb 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
(The author Sweety Shinde provided me with a review copy.)

When Dr. Sweety Shinde, the author of Arjun: Without A Doubt, mentioned to me about the book on Mahabharata centred around Arjun that she was coming out with, I was majorly skeptical of the choice of the title character, especially considering that I do not consider Arjuna as the most exciting character in the epic. This was also further attested by the fact that a book on Arjuna that I had read earlier showed him in too plain a light. An
Bookish Indulgenges with b00k r3vi3ws
Arjun: Without A Doubt is one of the latest to join the bandwagon of Mythological story being retold. This time around we get a glimpse into the Epic Mahabharata from Arjun and Draupadi’s perspective.

Having said that, I really have no need to summarize the story as almost everyone knows it already. Instead, let me tell you about what I thought of it as a book and my take on the way the Epic has been narrated. The first thing that attracts attention is the fact that the author has chosen to tell
Swathi Shenoy
Feb 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Ramayana and Mahabharatha are my all time favorite reads. No matter how many times you read them, there is always something new to learn each time. So when the author asked if I want to review it, I happily agreed. What interested me most was this book was written from the point of view of Arjun and Draupadi - two of my favorite characters from Mahabaratha. I was looking forward to read this book.

When I picked up the book, I instantly liked the language. The book is written in first person - s
Jyoti Arora
Jan 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Before I begin my review of this book, I’d like to thank author Sweety Shinde for sending me a copy of her book to read. This is the first mythological novel that I have read. I never thought that I would feel any interest in reading a novel about stories that I already knew so well. But Sweety’s book proved me wrong! Even if it tells a well-known tale, it still holds many surprises. And author’s notes exploring popular myths at the end were added delight.
Arjun: Without A Doubt tells the story
Kanwarpal Singh
Jul 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is one of my favourite because character of greatest epic Mahabharata always fascinated me especially Arjun and Draupati , my favourite character , the story show about the focus of Arjun and his godly deeds well hw can rule an empire but for the sake of the elder brother he never desire to do that married Draupati for a challenge to take her away but mother decision make life hwll for Draupati as she and Arjun don't want to get separate from each other, this also an eye opener to old ...more
Pankaj Goyal
Jan 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
‘Arjun: Without a Doubt’ by Sweety Shinde is a recent book, which tells the story of the Mahabharata from the perspective of Arjun or Arjuna. However, Sweety Shinde’s book not only retells the Mahabharata through the eyes of Arjun, but also through the eyes of Draupadi. While the main protagonist of this novel is Arjun (as the title suggests), the author has beautifully incorporated the voice of Draupadi also. This dual narrative makes it an interesting read.

Whenever someone writes about a myth
Maniparna Sengupta majumder
Mar 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Mahabharata, the greatest epic of India, has intrigued the readers and writers from the time immemorial. It is said in the Book of Beginning of The Mahabharata, “Poets have told it before, poets are telling it now, other poets shall tell this history on earth in the future.” And, so true are the words. Thousands of books have been written taking cue from this epic and, still it has retained all its charm. I always believe that whatever is in Mahabharata, is found elsewhere. But what is not there ...more
Saral
Feb 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The author’s look at Arjun holds deep intimacy, at Krishna holds a searching question mark and at Draupadi holds worship.

Firstly Draupadi’s words are marked by *** while Arjun’s words are unmarked, as i confirmed with author. There, and now getting back to what I LOVED.

1] The first person narration makes Arjun’s ups & downs a personal experience. ARJUN the man behind the warrior is discovered with fresh eyes as one falls in love with him.

As a son (his emotional trauma when Kunti says those
Gnanendra Reddy D
Feb 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Actuallly,I was skeptical about reading epics, this is my 3 rd mythological novel and i had to say that i changed my opinion after reading this, mahabharatha was a magnaficent tale ,it puts forth every possible human predicament before our eyes, in the form of its characters and situations and tells us the correct way of dealing with them through the various Spiritual messages scattered all over it.. In This Book ARJUN -Without a doubt, author highlights mainly three important characters of maha ...more
Ruchi
Feb 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Book review : Arjun without a doubt.

Arjun : without a doubt. Truly awesome book by Dr Sweety Shinde.

When I first came across the title, I was not sure I wanted to read another of Gita- Mahabharata thing.
But somehow the book's cover and FB page made me give it a try and I am glad I did.

No, it is not a twisted version of Mahabharata. It is a saga of Arjun the great warrior, who never got the due credit for his greatness and Draupadi who has always been misunderstood through ages.
The narrative is g
Somali Chakrabarti
As the name suggests, the book mainly focuses on the Arjun, the third Pandava Prince from epic Mahabharat, and the nature of his relationship with Draupadi and his friend and mentor Krishn. Written in a contemporary style, the book logically analyzes and dissects the thought process and reasoning behind the various actions of the characters in epic Mahabharata, in a manner that the reader can relate to in the present times.
A very interesting read that charms the reader with its narration.
Ravish Mani

The word Arjun reminds me of the greatest epic ever written, Mahabharata. People know Veda Vyasa as its author but his original name was Krishna Dwaipayana which means the dark child who was born on a river island. He was known as Veda Vyas because he compiled the scattered hymns into four Vedas. He was also the biological father of Dhritarashtra, Pandu and Vidura.

The epic has two characters with the same name as the author without which Mahabharata was not possible – Krishna, son of  Devaki and
Rajni Sahota
Mar 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
The biggest epic of all time Mahabharata shown from the 3 main sides of Krishna , Arjun and Draupadi and there quest and how Kurukshetra happened serious loved this side of of Mahabharata
Aarti
Jul 30, 2016 added it
There is no doubt about the fact that most of the stories we hear or see in India are actually inspired in some way or the other by the two great epics - Ramayana and Mahabharata. Within these two great epics also, there have been myriad interpretations of narratives and analyses of the characters. What really intrigues me about these two epics is that you pick any character - and there are so many layers - that the character is never purely good or bad. As a matter of fact, this is more evident ...more
Aishwarya Beedkar
Mar 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Ever since I've known "Mahabharata" my two favorite people from the epic have been Arjun and Draupadi, both individually and as a couple. Many times I've been asked "why Arjun?" (many people believe that Arjun just got everything on a platter and was so much more fortunate than their so called "inspirational" "tragic" ideal hero)I have tried in vain to explain Arjun's qualities and struggles to them but to no avail. Now if anyone asks me this question I'll just show them this book and ask them t ...more
A.P. Rajshekhar
Feb 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Story – the two minute version

The book starts with the POV of Arjuna in the forest where the Pandavas and Kunti are living incognito after escaping from the house of lac. Then the scene shifts to Panchal where the kingdom is preparing for Swayamvar of Draupadi. Here, the readers are introduced to Krishna and Draupadi's through her own words. From there on, each event in Mahabharata is portrayed from the POV of either Arjuna or Draupadi.

What I liked

1. The relationship of Arjuna and Krishna. In an
Arunita
Jan 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
First of all congratulations to Dr. Shinde for breaking a popular tendency of modern authors- a tendency to vilify heroes and deify villains.Even if we agree(which I do) that all the characters of Mahabharat had some grey shades in them plenty of authors are hellbent to whitewash some particular characters with shades of grey bordering on black.
One thing I was thinking many times while & after reading the book is that Dr. Shinde has one skill that makes conversation part of a story enjoyable
Shekhar Ruparelia
Feb 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
(A slightly longer and more personal review of this book appears on my blog at https://adventuresofatraveller.wordpr... Please do have a look at that too. Thanks!)

“Arjun: Without A Doubt” picks up the Mahabharat tale with Draupadi wondering who exactly this Arjun is. Of course, she has heard of Pandu’s illustrious son, the man who defeated her father, Drupad, in battle as gurudakshina for his guru, Dronacharya. But she has never set her sights on him. And her father tells her Arjun is the most d
Ishan Agrawal
Apr 12, 2016 rated it liked it
It gave me goosebumps as soon as I heard that the novel is on epic mythological story Mahabharta and more importantly on Arjun whom I have always idolize for his sheer focus and strength of character.
Though the story is woven around our very own rich historical figures with a sense of religious sentiments and a feeling of heavenly divinity attached to them but still i strongly feel , Mahabharta is universal in its theme and anyone can relate to it. Even if we look at today's world , all the poli
Dipanshu Rawal
Jun 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is Author Dr. Shinde's first book, and she did tremendous job while writing this. While reading this, it is clearly visible how well researched the book is. Claps.

The book is written with three narrators: Arjun, Draupadi and Krishna.

Arjun, one the most powerful warrior of the time, seems to keep mum at significant times. Author wrote Arjun's views on various situations. He never boasted off his powers, despite having cool weapons like Brahamastra. Author is a big Mahabharat fan, and this is
Deepali Gupta
Sep 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
this is a magnificient book, a huge read but worth all the time and efforts.
as the name suggest it is from the mahabharat, story of arjun and draupadi rewritten, how it felt being in there shoes. the story revolves around them and ofcourse almighty govind. as being a reader of mythological books. this book makes you read it. as the narration is very amazing and vivid imagery which takes you back to their time and habitat. this book gives an insight about arjuns and draupadis mind and their live
Rajdipsinh Zala
Feb 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
First of all, thanks a lot Dr.Shinde for breaking recent proclivity of glorifying villains & vilifying heroes.I fully agreed with sentence in preface of the book that; "The Central theme can never belong to anyone else but the Hero".

Arjun,Draupadi & Krishn : The Missile,The Trajectory & The Vision.Dr.Shinde beautifully portrayed about this concept.

Specific chapters which I found more interesting are;
-The Fish & Two Baits(Marvelous narration of Draupadi's swayamvar with ornaments
Shweta Sharma
Sep 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
"Arjun :Without a doubt" by Sweety Shinde is the kind of book that shouldn't just be read but absorbed as well. As the title reveals, the protagonist here is the hero of the great epic Mahabharata.

It's just because of this book that I came to know so many things about Mahabharata and the divine characters specially Draupadi. 'A princess fragrant as the blue lotus and born from fire, indeed', as the writer mentions in the first chapter "The Blue Magician".
I loved the book not only because of it
Saranya
Oct 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
At last!! I have been waiting to read a story from Arjuna's point of view for a long time . Arjun : Without a Doubt was a real treat for me. I finished reading the book (Well, the kindle version) in one night. Sweet Shinde has done an amazing job portraying the other side of Arjun. It clearly highlights the personal sacrifices both Arjuna and Draupadi have done for the greater good and I loved the way she portrayed Lord Krishna's relation to Arjuna and Panchali. The language is also very impress ...more
Saiswaroopa
May 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: puranic-fiction
A refreshing take on the most uncomplaining (whew!) characters of Mahabharata. Re-telling of Mahabharata from individual perspectives has been an ever-green favourite of the Indian literary segment. Arjun without a Doubt by the debutante Sweety Shinde stands out of the rest, giving a voice to the ever inspirational Arjuna while admirably balancing the macro narrative. It is not surprising that the author actually chose that perspective which refreshingly does not blame the world for his misfortu ...more
Sheetal Maurya - Godse (Halo of Books)
You may read full book review on my blog Arjun: Without a Doubt by Sweety Shinde – Book review

No war scene, just the feeling of two characters of Mahabharata. This book is perfect for those who want to feel the Mahabharata. Honestly saying, I have never considered Arjun my favorite character in Mahabharata but now I adore him. The author has portrayed him perfectly while she is also succeeded to paint the positive character of Draupadi. Another small yet noticeable thing is that the author has w
RustyJ
It is rare for a book to captivate me so much that I write a long review on it, much less give it a second read. Dr Sweety Shinde's Arjun: Without a Doubt is one such. Disclaimer before getting into the review proper: the author provide me with a review copy.
I first read the book a few months ago. Having read many “remakes” of the epics, did not have much hopes from this one either, more so since this was about a much explored – exaggerated – reviled character of the Mahabharata: Arjuna. However
Chhavi
Dec 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Exceptionally well written.. For me, the main takeaway was the way author has characterised Arjun, Draupadi and Krishna.
Author has given voice to Arjun's inner turmoil and his friendship with Krishn and his complicated relationship with Draupadi sheds light on who Arjun was in the epic.
Draupadi is someone whose image has been maligned by our society as they blame her for the war, but in this novel, Draupadi is cleared of all make believe accusations, as author explains in last chapter of the bo
« previous 1 3 next »
Authors Discussio...: How to add online links? 9 1176 Jul 25, 2017 12:34PM
How to transfer blogposts from Wordpress to Goodreads 1 1 Aug 24, 2015 01:01PM
Giveaway for USA readers! 1 1 Jul 18, 2015 11:52PM
Giveaway on Goodreads! 1 4 Apr 19, 2015 11:11AM
Video Trailer on Youtube 1 3 Mar 15, 2015 12:38AM
Connecting Reader...: Indian Mythology: Arjun (Mahabharata) 1 9 Feb 18, 2015 07:24AM
Indian Readers: Arjun's perspective: Free download (excerpt) 1 13 Feb 18, 2015 07:16AM

• Kurukshetra (The Aryavarta Chronicles, #3)
  • After Kurukshetra : Three Stories
  • The Indian Epics Retold: The Ramayana, The Mahabharata, Gods, Demons, And Others
  • The Forest of Stories (Mahabharata, #1)
  • Bhimsen
  • The Winds of Hastinapur (Hastinapur, #1)
  • The Liberation of Sita
  • The Book of Yudhishthira (Krishnavatara #7)
  • Karna
  • Duryodhana
  • Adi Parva - Churning of the Ocean
  • Rain Men: The Madness of Cricket
  • The First Garfield Fat Cat 3-Pack (Garfield at large, Garfield gains weight, Garfield bigger than life)
  • Sholay: The Making of a Classic
  • Rise of the Sun Prince (Ramayana: The Game of Life, #1)
  • Ravana: Roar of the Demon King (Campfire Graphic Novels)
  • The Guardians of the Halahala (Vikramaditya Veergatha, #1)
  • The Complete Peanuts, 1950-1954
The heart can be dissected, the brain can be spliced open, but I love to unravel the mind and emotions.

Dr. Shinde Sweety is an avid Mahabharata fan. Loves to daydream and swim, sketch and stretch at yoga!
Curious about the Mystic & Mystique. Insane about soulful music. Content to be cocooned in a dream world.
“No person is completely wicked, just as no person is perfect. We are all grey” 38 likes
“Silence too, can be misquoted” 16 likes