Start by marking “Nonprofit” as Want to Read:
Nonprofit

Nonprofit

Published January 20th 2015 by New Issues Press

To ask other readers questions about Nonprofit, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nonprofit

Start your review of Nonprofit
Michelle
Feb 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I craved this book. Deeply felt, fast-paced prose that felt like an incredible short story that just kept giving and turned into one of the best novels I have read in a long time. Vivid main characters you root for given their heart-wrenching and just plain wacky situations -- a nonprofit gone horribly awry and the oft-overlooked world of male infertility. By turns gut-wrenching, laugh-out-loud funny and cringe-worthy. A fantastic read and I can't wait to read more by Burriesci.
Magnus Ver Magnusson
Mar 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing

I don't know where this Burriesci guy has been hiding, but will certainly be looking for him now.

Deftly told story about the trials and travails of trying to navigate the labyrinthine world of DC money. Reads fast, funny and with more than a little pop. Reminds me of Sam Lipsyte's book, The Ask, with a little George Saunders or Gary Shteyngart sprinkled in. Funny, funny, read.
Yuki
Received this book through Goodreads First Reads Giveaways.

Quite an underrated book. The story revolves around John MacManus, an ED for a nonprofit in DC and his wife, Liesl. Very clever satire, steady and charming writing style:
Your job was to enter a small room and masturbate into a tiny plastic cup. There was a La-Z Boy in the room, a small television, and a VCR. You were taken aback that in such a state-of-the-art fertility clinic, in which life is chemically engineered at the mo/>
Your
Christopher
Feb 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, favorites
Ever since I got into John Langan last year I have been a sucker for second person, but I hardly expected this to be as good as it was.

A truly savage riff on DC elite culture, Non-profits, and the like. Nothing is too over the top, everything that happens is so absurdly funny and/or horrifying because of its mundane and realistic nature. And yet...The prose is written in such a way as to drive home just how utterly bizarre these mannerisms of our cultural and political elites truly a
Erin
Mar 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book! It was funny, heartbreaking, and, in the end, hopeful. Very fast-paced, it still manages to have developed characters. It's easy to relate to whether you have worked for a nonprofit or not. It reminds me of Devil Wears Prada.
Brooke
Mar 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
A fun and funny quick read about a young ED of a nonprofit and his interactions with some real characters from DC's philanthropic world. Thanks for the recco, Michelle!
Jen
Sep 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
You are John MacManus, a nonprofit professional who has just moved your wife and yourself halfway across the country to take an Executive Director position at a literary nonprofit. You are excited about meeting and getting to know your new Board members, if a little intimidated. But you find out pretty quickly that the world of DC benefits and fundraisers is basically a completely different planet from what you're used to. With your new organization tanking financially, the Board in denial about ...more
Jon Manchester
Apr 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
I really enjoyed this short (237 pages) novel that won the AWP (Association of Writers & Writing Programs) Award for the Novel in 2013. As one of the judges said "...the writer has this amazing ability to generate and sustain forward narrative velocity almost completely from the twin engines of dim hope and awful dread - this sense of rolling forward toward disaster."

Burriesci's prose is clipped, which does give the novel a forward lean, and he works in a number of funny / clever observatio
Kristen
Jan 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is an engaging book, and I ate it up in about three or four sittings. It's smartly written, but in a way that makes me feel like the author and I are being smart together, not like he is showing me that he is smarter than I am. Every few pages a word, or a phrase, or an idea made me snort. Then I would go back and read it again and it would make me snort again, even though the element of surprise was lost. To me that's one sign of a good book. I will certainly want to read anything else tha ...more
Paula Ackley
May 29, 2015 rated it it was ok
Non profit is a satire on Washington and nonprofit organizations. I got the satire and the book was funny in a few places but I found most of the story to be absurd. I reached the end of the book and it just stopped. Maybe I'm not sophisticated enough and I don't get it or maybe I don't understand satire. Maybe I just like the books I read that aren't a part of a series to come together at the end and not leave me hanging.
Erma Talamante
This book took me a long time to get into, and is an example of why the elusive 2nd person narrative is so rarely used.

You are a middle-aged man, coming on-board to a new job as Director of a prestigious non-profit organization. You have issues. Your issues have issues. When I realized this, suddenly, I bonded with the character of John MacManus, and I was hooked.

Read the full review here:

Read the full review here:
William
May 07, 2015 rated it it was ok
The book had its funny bits but overall was not that entertaining. It was a savage indictment of Washington DC "upper crust", but no more than they probably deserve. The author makes fun of everybody included the principle character and his wife. I found it just a little "too much" in places.
Kim
Feb 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
A fast paced read about a DC nonprofit and the interesting characters behind it as well as a man's struggle with infertility. Funny, ridiculous, and heartfelt all at the same time. Thanks Michelle for the glowing review that made me pick this book up.
Vincent Perez
May 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I finished it in about 2 hours, a fantastically quick and engaging read.
Kimberly Scheirer
Apr 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
I loved every moment of this book until the end. I'm okay with a few unanswered questions but not ALL unanswered questions. A fun read though, and I could relate!
Monica
Jun 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Second person narration was a winner for me. A highly-compelling story of an executive director working at a bankrupt nonprofit. Reminded me of Tetia Lee minus the bankrupt angle.
Kirker Butler
May 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Great book. Very funny. Quick read. Highly recommend it.
Cait
Mar 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It gets 'us'

Having worked in non-profits for several years and being an ED myself it seems like the book is littered with inside jokes what are a standard part of life. I love it. It was quick and easy read, a great break from my day to day.
Dan Schiff
Sep 12, 2015 rated it it was ok
There is a great, hilarious book to be written about the DC nonprofit world. Despite a strong start, this book is not it. Burriesci makes the second-person narrative work well, and throws in some funny, odd details along the way. But Nonprofit settles into a very conventional groove in the work-is-hell, my-life-is-falling-apart genre. Burriesci also does not seem to know much about Washington as a city, which makes the book a lot less specific than someone who actually lives in DC and works at a ...more
Rebecca Scott
Jul 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Full disclosure: I know (and quite like) the author and the world he's skewering, so I was predisposed to appreciate this book. His skewering is masterful, though! He captures the absurdity of the benefit circuit and DC fundraising in general brilliantly, often hilariously. Underneath all of that madness is the sweet, sometimes funny tale of trying to have a baby, which grounds the book in a really lovely way. It is most definitely a good read.
Jennifer Fredericks
Feb 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Good, quick read that, although often sounds over the top, expertly captures the hilarity and ridiculousness of the nonprofit world. I had never heard of this author but will be seeking more of his work.
Dianne Hurley
Jul 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A nice summer read by a very clever author.
Anne

• Cannery Row
  • The Gifted School
  • Park Avenue Summer
  • The Bookish Life of Nina Hill
  • Master and Commander (Aubrey & Maturin, #1)
  • A Boy and His Dog at the End of the World
  • Wise Blood
  • The End of the World Running Club
  • Mary Ventura and the Ninth Kingdom
  • The Broom of the System
  • The Canterville Ghost
  • What Made Maddy Run: The Secret Struggles and Tragic Death of an All-American Teen
  • The Round House
  • King Zeno
  • A Lucky Man
Matt Burriesci is the author of Nonprofit (New Issues Press, 2015) and Dead White Guys: A Father, his Daughter, and the Great Books of the Western World (Viva Editions, June 2015). His stories have appeared in numerous literary magazines. He began his career at the Tony Award Winning Chicago Shakespeare Theater on Navy Pier, and later served as Executive Director for both the Association of Writer ...more