Start by marking “A Time to Speak (Out of Time, #2)” as Want to Read:
A Time to Speak (Out of Time, #2)

A Time to Speak

(Out of Time #2)

What happens when you live longer than you wanted to?

Parvin Blackwater wanted to die, but now she’s being called to be a leader. The only problem is, no one wants to follow.

Published October 16th 2015 by Enclave Publishing

Start your review of A Time to Speak (Out of Time, #2)
Madelyn
Sep 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
My my my. A Time to Speak transcended its predecessor, A Time To Die, in so many ways I can hardly recount them all. If you happened to read my raving review of the last novel, you'd know how head-over-heels I am with Nadine's work, and how exceptionally hard it is to surpass A Time to Die's fabulousness. Nevertheless, Mrs. Brandes stunned us all again and left us hanging on her every word.

Spoiler Alert: If you have yet to read or finish A Time to Die, I wouldn't recommend reading the following
Shantelle
A gripping second book to the OUT OF TIME series by Nadine Brandes! I quite thoroughly enjoyed it … not left bored for a moment!

A Time to Speak starts off soon after where the first book left us hanging. Parvin Blackwater struggles to accept her brother’s death – struggles to accept the reality that the clock she always believed in was wrong. She’s still alive.
So what will she do with the life she’d thought she didn’t have? Or will the wicked Council decide that for her?

After being left slightly
Nadine Brandes
Jun 18, 2015 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Here's the parent's guide for book two! Thanks to everyone helping me make these as thorough as possible. :D

PARENT'S GUIDE

I recommend this book for ages 14 and up, like the first book A Time to Die. Again, keep in mind that the maturity of the reader plays a big part.

Profanity: NONE

Intimacy: There's attraction between a boy and girl, one kiss.

Violence: Like the first book, there's certainly a lot of action and violent moments. I mean, it's a dystopian book. :P Personally, I have a
Nicole Dust
WHAT JUST HAPPENED.

Okay, before I get into the review, I need to say that I’m not even going to try and avoid spoilers. For those of you who are considering reading this book, know this: There’s really no bad content, and it’s an excellent book.

Now, on to spoilers!

LIKES:
- Parvin. Again. Seriously, her faith and trust in God is so inspiring and beautiful. And her relationships with every character was just so well-written, especially....
- Parvin x Solomon. Guys, I might have found a new OTP. I
Katie Grace
Woooow.
I READ THIS IN ONE DAY DURING
Okay. Things I reallyyyy loved.

- Parvin's character development.
- SOLOMONNNN. <3
- The amazing amount of tension built up in this book. o.o
- The powerful but not preachy approach to God.
- Passing notes in the boxcar. *melts* So adorable. :P
- I was able to fall into the story right away despite it being a sequel.

Things I didn't love so much:

- The amazingly done but killer cliffhanger.
- This book made me feel cold. I don't like being cold. *raises fist*
Brianna Silva
Jul 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
*COMMENCE SCREAMING*

That ending. Um um I don't know what to say, except that I need the next book.

OW THAT ENDING HURT.

In other news, I liked this book a lot more than the first one, for three main reasons:

1. Parvin became about 10x more awesome. Talk about character development. She started off so wimpy in Book 1. Now she's become a hero. (There's hope for all of us!)

2. Solomon. I loved this guy. So sweet and kind and vulnerable. I shipped him and Parvin desperately.

3. The romance was SO, SO re
R.F. Gammon
Feb 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Whoooa.

That is all.
Galaxy Adventurer
Oct 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
What the book is about:

What happens when you live longer than you wanted to?
The Council is using Jude’s Clock-matching invention to force “new-and-improved” Clocks on the public. Those who can’t afford one are packed into boxcars like cattle and used for the Council’s purposes. Parvin and Solomon team up to rescue the people. Instead, they find themselves on a cargo ship of Rad
Lisa Elis
Have I really finished this already? *groans* Why do the best books end so quickly!? Just a warning here: If you haven't read A Time to Die, you might not want to read this one because SPOILERS.

Now, in short:

I already said I liked Parvin in the other review. And I still like her. She was determined, and brave, and she trusted God. Yes, she did have her weak moments, but overall, she was incredibly strong. The other characters ... I liked Solomon. *grins* This is a conversation I was having with
Ashley Bogner
The second book of a trilogy almost always stinks. I don't know why, but the middle book is usually slow, overly dark, and tends to seem disconnected from the first book.

A Time to Speak , however, is one of those few instances where the second book is just as good, if not better than, the first. I think I liked this one better than A Time to Die . I was glued to the pages and never wanted to put it down. For me, I found the plot to be quicker-paced and I loved Parvin's role as a leader.

Nadine
Jeneca
A Time to Speak
Parvin didn't die-- much to her disappointment. Unity village is a foreigner to her, yet she loves the people and they hate her.
Everyone hates her.
Reid is gone.
The council has the clock matching info, and they're claiming she brought it to them.

This book, the sequel to A Time to Die (which means you probably shouldn't be reading this if you haven't read a time to die...) is amazing and blew past my expectations. actually, I was quite sure what to expect. Between clocks, albino
Kara Swanson
Oct 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A TIME TO DIE taught us to live.
Now, A TIME TO SPEAK teaches us to stand.
To stand for the truth. To stand for the broken. To stand through the pain…just as Parvin does. Again and again.

In this latest installment of the Out of Time Series, we continue to follow Parvin, the girl who should be dead, as she is captured by the government and forced, along with several others missing clocks, to a distant land of ice and fury.

As the only one who really understands what this desolation means, and to hav
Abigayle Claire
Now that I'm past my tear-streaked haze of awe and exhaustion ... as the 2nd book in a trilogy, this did not disappoint! Everyone knows the 2nd books is either the best or the worst. And there's no way this one is the worst ;) Any tiny things I didn't like about book 1 (very tiny), were 100x better in this sequel.

Parvin continued to grow and struggle, and doesn't always make the smartest decisions. (view spoiler)
Zac
Jun 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I'm an emotional mess right now. My body and soul ache. (THAT ENDING?!!) This book took me forever to read, but I think it was better that way. Drawn out. I took in the story piece-by-piece, slowly, and it was beautiful. This story surpasses amazing, inspiring, greatness, beauty. It's completely indescribable in its entirety. Epic, perhaps? But I think that's too small a word. Magnificent, bold, uplifting...still these words don't do this story justice. Nadine proves once again that she is a mas ...more
Tricia Mingerink
Jun 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Sounds amazing, right? Well, it is. In my opinion, it’s even better than book 1 A Time to Die. While A Time to Die is a sucker punch in the gut that keeps aching in your heart long after you’ve finished it, A Time to Speak is a stirring marching song that straightens your spine and sends you out into the world determined to do something.

After the events of A Time to Die, Parvin has to come to grips with the fact that she’s still alive. Not only is she still alive, but her friends Willow and Elm
Lila Kims
What a cold, gut-wrenching, powerful, incredible book. This is the book where I fell in love with the characters. I wasn't sure about them in book 1, not even Solomon and certainly not Parvin, but now I love them alllllll. Especially Parvin, and especially Solomon. XD

Everything about this story was amazing. I have zero complaints. None. Loved every single moment of it. My emotions are all over the place and I'm sad that I probably won't have access to book 3 for a while.
Tracey Dyck
Feb 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Well, there goes my heart in a hundred pieces. Nadine Brandes did it again.

I can’t tell you how much Parvin’s journey is resonating with me. I wish I’d known her five years ago, but I’m glad to have met her now. She’s grown so much since the beginning of the first book—in purpose, in courage, and in tenderness.

And that shattered heart I mentioned? Every piece of it was stolen by Solomon Hawke, and I don’t think he plans to give it back. <3 He and Parvin share one of the most solid and mature rel
Alyssa
What I thought:

(Quick thing, though, I haven't read this for a few months, so we'll see how this goes...)

So, first thing that I'm going to say is: the first book has a waaay different feel then the first. Like, really different, but in my opinion (and I think a lot of others), it was better!

In some ways, it almost had a WWII feel to it, like how all the radicals are being boxed up and taken away, just like the Jews. (But don't worry! If you don't like that kinda stuff, you'll still like it! It's
Sierra Faith
A Time To Speak by Nadine Brandes

Genre: Dystopian, Christian.

Favorite Quote: "We have to become uncomfortable in our lives to become comfortable in our faith."

Age Range: 15+

Stars: 5/5

Series: Second book in the Out Of Time Trilogy.

Oh my gosh, I am so happy I got the privilege to be on Nadine's launch team for this book! I missed Parvin's world so much, and A Time To Die ended at such a horrible cliffhanger!

Parvin has grown physically, mentally and spiritually since A Time to Die. In the first bo
Emily
Sep 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Wow. I really enjoyed this book. Way more than the first one even. Review coming soon!
Addy S.
Aug 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
5 stars!!!

"I loved you first, Miss Blackwater."

This book was beautiful. It was heroic. It was romantic. It was full of hope.

What more can one ask when reading a book? I absolutely loved the first in the trilogy, and I just HAD to buy the next two. And I'm glad I have the third on hand because the ending of A Time to Speak was torture.

I HIGHLY recommend that you read these over and over again. I will be doing just that. Here is the rundown:

-Language: CLEAN!! That's one of the many things I love
Hailey Rose
Nov 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow. This was amazing. Just as good as the first one.
Liz F.
Okay. This book is really good. I need the third one ASAP!!!!!!!!
Carol (StarAngel's Reviews) Allen
Soooo....I went into this book not knowing it was a Christian book and normally I can read this genre if the author doesn't shove scripture into the story on every page....

Well....this author did but....IT WORKED!! IT REALLY WORKED!! It didn't take away from the story at all and, in fact, it actually enhanced the story to the point where I couldn't put this book and series down...I couldn't wait to get to the next book to find out what would happen next!

This series should definitely be made into
Merie Shen
Blew my mind. Typical Nadine Brandes.
Schuyler
Feb 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Installment #2 in the Parvin series, A Time to Speak follows her and Willow as they face persecution back in the West. When the government betrays the people of Unity Village, destroying their clocks and making them Radicals, Parvin is forced into leadership along with Solomon, an Enforcer. She and Solomon have an adorable romance (though my heart still tugs towards Jude), and Parvin learns lessons of courage and independence that are challenging to consider. I can relate to her reluctance and f ...more
Megan Besing
Sep 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I LOVED A Time to Die, the first book in the Out of Time series. (Notice I used ALLCAPS—can you feel my adoration for this series?) Book one took Parvin, the main heroine, down many trials and tests, but now she knows who she is—she’s God’s, and her purpose is to bring Him and Shalom to the world.

Most of my favorite characters return in A Time to Speak, and the author, Nadine Brandes, remembered the smallest of details about each individual personality, physical attributes, and even his or her
Alea Harper
Jun 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Oh. My. Goodness. I had such high expectations from this book and Nadine totally met them all! It brought back all the Jude feels. Oh yes, all the Jude feels. Nadine did a really great job of "helping me through that" throughout the book.

Characters
Parvin is great as she has always been. There are some new characters as well. Tawny, as we learned from book one, is now Reid's widow and she and Parvin have a strained relationship, which is completely realistic. It is amazing how deep each one of th
Olivia
Jun 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A Time To Die was a mere heart attack compared to the trauma this book caused.

The Characters:
The depth of these characters! Holy smokes! They're so REAL! (Am I repeating myself from my A Time To Die review?) Parvin, Solomon, The Radicals, they all have wonderful and diverse personalities.

The Plot:
I COLD NOT PUT IT DOWN. COULD NOT. Like, its so interesting and INTENSE! Like, Holy cow! Once I would start getting SLIGHTLY bored Nadine would bring up something and I'd be like "Oh yeah! I forgot abou
Jenna
Aug 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
2019 UPDATE:
THIS BOOK HIT ME THE SAME WAY THE SECOND TIME AROUND. So powerful, moving and well written. Parvin will probably forever be my favorite and most-relatable character. Her spiritual journey is so like my own; I learn so much from her in these books. ❤️
And can we just take a moment to appreciate that Nadine has DISCUSSION QUESTIONS in her books? Very cool.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Out of Time Series: A Time to Speak Discussion *SPOILERS* 26 13 Dec 14, 2015 02:25PM

• The Story Peddler (The Weaver Trilogy, #1)
  • Flight of the Raven (The Ravenwood Saga, #2)
  • Cry of the Raven (The Ravenwood Saga, #3)
  • Dust (Heirs of Neverland, #1)
  • Mark of the Raven (The Ravenwood Saga, #1)
  • The Girl Who Could See
  • The Story Raider (The Weaver Trilogy, #2)
  • The Story Hunter (The Weaver Trilogy, #3)
  • North! or Be Eaten (The Wingfeather Saga, #2)
  • Unblemished (Unblemished #1)
  • Dare (The Blades of Acktar, #1)
  • To Best the Boys
  • Deny (The Blades of Acktar #2)
  • The Monster in the Hollows (The Wingfeather Saga, #3)
  • On the Edge of the Dark Sea of Darkness (The Wingfeather Saga, #1)
  • Deliver (The Blades of Acktar, #4)
  • The Immortal Words (The Grave Kingdom, #3)
  • Blank Mastermind
NADINE BRANDES once spent four days as a sea cook in the name of book research. She is the author of FAWKES, ROMANOV, and the award-winning Out of Time Series. Her inner fangirl perks up at the mention of soul-talk, Quidditch, bookstagram, and Oreos. When she's not busy writing novels about bold living, she's adventuring through Middle Earth or taste-testing a new chai. Nadine, her Auror husband, ...more

Out of Time (3 books)
  • A Time to Die (Out of Time, #1)
  • A Time to Rise (Out of Time, #3)