Start by marking “13 Days of Midnight” as Want to Read:
13 Days of Midnight

13 Days of Midnight

(13 Days of Midnight #1)

When Luke Manchett's estranged father dies suddenly, he leaves his son a dark inheritance. Luke has been left in charge of his father's ghost collection: eight restless spirits. They want revenge for their long enslavement, and in the absence of the father, they're more than happy to take his son. It isn't fair, but you try and reason with the vengeful dead.

Hallowee
Published July 2nd 2015 by Orchard Books (first published February 19th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about 13 Days of Midnight, please sign up.
Valary it has a slow start and then takes off running; I am 74 pages in and sucked in.

Start your review of 13 Days of Midnight
Cielbert
Jul 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5/5

GUYS! 2ND BOOK is tentatively called EIGHT RIVERS OF SHADOW!

description

AWESOME STORY! I'M OUT OF WORDS RIGHT NOW.
FULL REVIEW COMING SOON.
Donita Luz
This review is also available here.
"I am an alpha male with testosterone leaking out of my sweat glands. Ham, my loyal and subservient pack member, is looking to me for guidance in this situation."
Reading Thirteen Days of Midnight was a blast, pretty good for a debut novel! Last time I read about necromancer.. Well, let us just say that the experience wasn't so good that I'd rather not reminisce, but in this book I'm happy to say that I had a great reading experience.

Luke Manchett, is an ordinary 16-yr oldhere.
Claire (Book Blog Bird)
Apr 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley, paranormal
This review and others can be found on my blog: Book Blog Bird

The title of this book should really be, Why You Should Never Sign Things Without Reading The Fine Print...

Luke Manchett lives just outside a small town in the north of England. He plays on the school rugby team, has a mum who believes in healing crystals and he harbours a huge crush on one of the girls at his school. When he receives a letter one day to tell him that his absentee father has sadly passed away, he is s
K.
Trigger warnings: death of a parent, parent with an illness, animal cruelty.

A colleague recommended this to me as the start to a really enjoyable paranormal trilogy. And maybe I've read more paranormal trilogies than her, but oof.

This was just...boring, to be honest. And it shouldn't have been. Like, it's about a sixteen year old boy who inherits a shit ton of money and eight ghosts from his newly dead estranged father. That should be a sure-fire hit. Instead, it took Luke about hal
Liviania
Sep 09, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Luke Manchett's father left him and his mother. Luke hasn't even spoken to him in years. However, he has just received news of his father's death - and a rather large inheritance. Tempted by the money, Luke doesn't pay too much attention to the papers he's signing. But then the ghosts start showing up.

I thoroughly enjoyed 13 DAYS OF MIDNIGHT. There's a nice balance of horror and humor. I found Luke sometimes frustrating, since he takes a ridiculous amount of time to clue into the dan
Yzabel Ginsberg
[I received a copy through NetGalley, in exchange for an honest review.]

3.5 stars. Entertaining and somewhat funny at times, while still conveying a sense of danger—alright, maybe not terribly frightening per se for me, as I don't frighten easily when reading books, but I think it has the right potential nonetheless. Half the Host at least was creepy in more ways than one, from the Shepherd with his glasses to the Prisoner with his shears... and even the Innocent, for the questions he raised (w
Heidi The Reader
I received a free copy of this book through Goodreads First Reads. FTC guidelines: check!

13 Days of Midnight is an enjoyable thrill ride through the world of Luke Manchett, a boy who is about to become a necromancer even though he didn't know that those existed. It is classified as a young adult novel and it has enough teen angst and non-graphic violence for that to be true, but I enjoyed it on its own merits, which is something that not all YA books have going for them.

T
Amber
Luke is 16 years old and has to care for his mom who is very ill with his dog Ham. When his father passes away and he inherits money as well as a Host of malevolent ghouls, Luke doesn't know what to do. Can he learn to control his father's ghoulish Host before the leader of the ghouls known as the Shepard helps them to break free of their service from him and cause chaos on Halloween night? Read on and find out for yourself.

This was a pretty good read for Leo Hunt's first ever book that I disco
Karen Barber
3.5 stars would be more like it, but this wasn't what I expected.
The novel begins quite slowly. Luke Manchett discovers his father-a television star famous for his necromancy skills-has died. He will inherit his father's fortune if certain conditions are met. Unfortunately, Luke signs his acceptance of these conditions without reading the finer details and ends up with a lot more than he bargained for.
Luke's gradual realisation that his father has handed over control of eight ghosts
Dani
Dec 02, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fic, supernatural
THIS WAS NOT SCARY AT ALL. What the hell. How do you have a story about suddenly having eight pissed-off ghosts tethered to your existence, and have it be completely not at all scary ??!??!? And one of them is a flaming skeleton! Who burns for all eternity and endlessly recites the Lord's Prayer in Latin! How ??

There was just no scary in this book whatsoever!

I don't get it!

I'm not sure why I still felt compelled to know what happens.

I mean, other t
Abbie (boneseasonofglass)
I enjoyed this book a lot. I wasn't expecting to like it as much as I turned out to. Different to books I've read before and I look forward to seeing where the story goes in the sequel!
Arif Zulkifli
Actual rating, 3.5 stars. A slow start, then it became very fast-paced, but when it reached the end, it became slow again.

Anyhow, quite decent read for me.
Kirsty-Marie Jones
Been reading it for four days and nope, can't do it. DNF'ing at 80%
Scottsdale Public Library
When Luke Manchett’s TV exorcist father dies, he gains an inheritance more otherworldly than he could ever imagine. As a horror fan, I enjoy tales of ghosts and black magic, and I found this one to be a stand-out among the teen-level fare. The characters behave realistically even in unreal situations, and the emotional core of the story was solid, whether it dealt with Luke’s relationships with his mother, his friends and Elza or with the lingering trauma left by his absentee father. The ghosts ...more
🦃Tiffy 🍗🍁
Luke gets a lousy inheritance after his father dies who Luke was barely close with, he gets his father’s old things like this mysterious book and several rings, later does Luke find out that he gets his father’s 8 ghost 👻 but not all of them are friendly. The first half of this book 📚 was good then towards the ending way like 80% of the book it fell flat for me really wanted to like it but I ended up DFN’ it at #270 pages into it.
Nicole
Great book. love the characters in it
Azrah
Oct 24, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed, own-kindle
Leo Hunt’s 13 Days of Midnight doesn’t score much on the scare factor however, the unique premise of the story is bound to draw you in.

Luke Manchett is your average British schoolboy with all the teenage obnoxiousness and self-pity, and is a member of the popular crowd and school rugby team within his small rural town. One day the news of his father’s death bring along with it secrets, ghosts and an inheritance that is knock dead dangerous.

Before picking this up I was honestly convinced this was a vampir
Rylee
My thoughts about 13 days of midnight are that the author leo hunt is a very good writer and is good at creating tension, but i dislike how much he put in there it is a very drawn out book yes it kept me reading it, only because i had to find out what happend. i wish there was just a little bit more info about Luke's dad not just that he left Luke's mom just to work on a tv show about ghost. I do like how they wrote very well about Luke's everyday life, but i wish he wrote more about luke's moth ...more
Jocelyn
3.5 👻🌟

This series starter was pretty promising, if only there were some helpful backstories, I might have like this even more. I just felt that like Luke, so much info had been thrust our way but were never really explained or properly establish and sometimes I was lost in the unfamiliarity. Nevertheless, I was pretty excited for the next one to see how Luke's character would develop and embraced his fate.
Matilda Chapman
This had a lot of potential. The premise of the book was insanely good and the first half of it was excellent.

HOWEVER. The plot twists were too predictable, the main character was sort of an arse and it felt like it dragged on way too long but the main plot was wrapped up in a couple of pages. It was kind of confusing as to what Leo Hunt intended with it.

I would definitely read the next one because the author's writing style did remind me of Rick Riordan's which is always a good thing. Fingers
Jon the
i didnt finsh it
John Milne
Mar 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For about half of this book, I wasn't entirely sure if I liked it or not. I think my initial problem was that it was such an original idea for a novel; one that I hadn't really come across before. It was a bit odd if I'm being honest! I left it for a while and picked it up again a few days ago, but this time I was completely hooked. Maybe it as down to me being more into reading at the moment, I'm not sure!

The writing style reminds me a bit of a cross between Rick Riordan and Suzanne
Jamie-Lee Turner
May 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya
This review was originally published on:

A fantastic debut from Leo Hunt filled with mystery, madness and the macabre!

Luke Manchett is your average teenager, well, as average as you can be with a non-existent father who dabbles in things he shouldn’t i.e the dead. Upon his father’s death, Luke discovers just how far his eager hands had delved into the macabre world of deadside and its in
Jake
Mar 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book because it had magic and ghosts. There are 8 spirits that make up the Manchett host. The names of these spirits are the Vigil, the Prisoner, the Judge, the Shepherd, the Heretic, the Innocent, the Oracle and last but not least, the Fury, the most evil of them all. Luke and the odd witchlet, Erza, have exactly 13 days to release the Manchett host and save his mother. I like the part when Luke is kicked out of his body and has to possess his dog. Correction...his dumb, but cute, ...more
Hazel
Jul 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
This eBook was provided by the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review

Thirteen Days of Midnight
is the slightly lighthearted, young adult novel by Leo Hunt set in contemporary Northeast England. Luke Manchett is an average sixteen-year-old boy who mostly cares about his reputation as a member of the school rugby team, and attracting the attention of his crush, Holiday Simmon. However, his life drastically changes on discovering that his absent, psychic exorcist, of a father has died.

L
L.E.Olteano
Review originally posted at Butterfly-o-Meter Books on Jul 1 2015:

In a Flutter: A fun, well-executed read!

Fluttering Thoughts:
Worldbuilding: I very much enjoyed the Dunbarrow, England setting, though it came through mostly via the “fitting in rules”. The paranormal elements were super fun, necromancer, ghosts, deals with the Devil, and the man himself making a fun appearance or two
Characters: Luke, the MC, was a really fun 16 yo young man. I liked how he took care of hi
Aparajitabasu
Original Link to the review at my blog Le' Grande Codex - here

An ok read, is how I would sum '13 Days of Midnight'. going by the gritty cover, the synopsis, the much hype and the many positive reviews this book had been getting, I expected maybe a bit too much. The plot wasn't that bad and the premise is very intriguing too but at most it felt like a cheesy been-there-done-that Halloween read.The characters took their time but only after first of the chapters did
Cas
Dec 07, 2016 rated it liked it
3.5 Stars

Sixteen year old Luke Manchett is a popular kid at school. He plays rugby, hangs out with all the right people, and as a bonus the most popular girl in the school likes him. When his father, the well known Dr. Horatio Manchett dies and leaves Luke everything, Luke discovers that all is not as it seems. he gets dragged into a world of ghosts and necromancy and someone is always watching, waiting for his next move, counting on his mistakes.

I enjoyed reading this book, and
Lauraelisabeth (fashion-by-the-book)
When Luke's father dies, he expects to inherit money or books or something. Instead, he inherits a handful of ghost, suppose to serve him but instead they strive to end his life. Working with school oddball, Elza, Luke has to find a way to get rid of the ghost before they get rid of him.

This book, to my surprise, was actually pretty good. I expected a weak, unoriginal book, but it had an original plot and characters that I grew to like.

The plot was totally original, at least to me.
Jami Sailor
The 13 Days of the title occur between the day Luke signs for an inheritance from his recently deceased and long-time estranged father, a flamboyant television ghost hunter, and Halloween. Luke’s inheritance is a complete Host of 8 ghosts each with a title and assigned duties. The ghosts are none-too-happy to have been bond by Luke’s father and take advantage of Luke’s naivette to run amok. It is up to Luke to learn a crash course in necromancy in order to get the ghosts under control.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Please add page count 6 17 May 01, 2017 07:20PM
YA Book Buzz Book...: 13 Days of Midnight by Leo Hunt (November 2015) 1 7 Aug 30, 2015 07:06AM

• Thirteen Days to Midnight
  • Seed
  • A Ghost Hunter's Guide to The Most Haunted Places in America (Most Haunted, #1)
  • The Witch’s Warning (Aberrations #2)
  • Shadows over Innsmouth (Shadows Over Innsmouth #1)
  • Salvage
  • This Broken World (Vesik, #4)
  • Demon Road (Demon Road, #1)
  • Bad Bones (Red Eye)
  • Gentlemen
  • When We Were Lost
  • The Lost Girl (Fear Street Relaunch, #3)
  • Kingdom of the Wicked (Skulduggery Pleasant, #7)
  • Mortal Danger (Immortal Game, #1)
  • As She Ascends (Fallen Isles, #2)
  • Alabama Moon (Alabama Moon, #1)
  • Peeps (Peeps, #1)
  • Ruined (Ruined, #1)
I'm the best riter

13 Days of Midnight (3 books)
  • Eight Rivers of Shadow
  • Seven Trees of Stone
“If it goes right, I'll meet the Devil. And what that'll be like I can't imagine” 0 likes
“The first thing that happens is I unseal an envelope and Dad’s death falls out onto the breakfast table.” 0 likes