Start by marking “The White Rose” as Want to Read:
The White Rose

The White Rose

(The Lone City #2)

3.98  ·  Rating details ·  16,795 ratings  ·  1,642 reviews
The compelling and gripping sequel to Amy Ewing's debut, The Jewel, which BCCB said "Will have fans of Oliver's Delirium, Cass's The Selection, and DeStefano's Wither breathless."

Violet is on the run—away from the Jewel, away from a lifetime of servitude, away from the Duchess of the Lake, who bought her at auction. With Ash and Raven traveling with her, Violet will need a
Published October 6th 2015 by HarperTeen (first published September 17th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about The White Rose, please sign up.
Maria YES! I definitely ship Raven and Garnet! It seems like there was some romance brewing between them in The White Rose. I really want them to end up…moreYES! I definitely ship Raven and Garnet! It seems like there was some romance brewing between them in The White Rose. I really want them to end up together in the next book!(less)

·  16,795 ratings  ·  1,642 reviews

Carly
Aug 07, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dystopia
I need this book so bad!!! am I the only one who kinda hopes she somehow ends up with Garnet??

**Edit 4/19/2016**

Finally finished. Quite disappointed. This book suffered from Second Book Syndrome, which can be hard to avoid. It was just so boring and anti-climatic.
Kiki
Steph Sinclair
DNF at 30%. I started this because The Jewel had an evil cliffhanger and I really wanted to know what happened to the characters. Well, upon starting The White Rose, I realized that I remember NOTHING from the first book, which made it extremely had to remain invested in this book. So once I found out what happened to the characters, my interest took a nose dive and I knew it was time to put The White Rose aside.

If you enjoyed The Jewel, I highly recommend a quick re-read before jumping into th

“I never paid for you,” I say. “And you are beyond priceless to me.”

This was a really good second instalment!

Violet was really strong in this book, even when the odds were stacked against her and she had everything to lose. It was also admirable the way she cared for those around her.

“If only someone would help me. If only someone would tell me what to do.”

The storyline
Alicia Batista (Addicted Readers)
LOOK AT THAT COVER!!! IS IT NOT THE MOST BEAUTIFULEST THING YOU'VE SEEN IN A LONG TIME!!!

description

LOVE THIS SERIES COVERS, AND I NEED THIS BOOK NOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

description

~~~~~EDITED REVIEW~~~~~

3.5 STARS

THE WHITE ROSE was the highly anticipated sequel of THE JEWEL that I've been eagerly awaiting for months. And although it wasn't as good as I hoped it would be, it still had it's perks and has me eagerly anticipating the explosive conclusion I knows to come!

It was a lot slower paced then I would of liked. I
Nina
Dec 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was such a quick read and I managed to finish it in less than a day even though I had classes. The book was gripping and in my opinion, better than the first part which is why I’m giving it 4 out of 5 stars.
Aly Locatelli
Actual rating: 1.5 stars.

I am really, really sad that I didn't enjoy this one as much as The Jewel. It might be because this one suffers with the dreaded Middle Book Syndrome. it could be because the plot was flimsy and predictable. Or it could be because I found the characters absolutely, ridiculously insufferable. Ash and Violet, although endearing in the first book, were worthy of murder in this one. I found myself skipping a lot of the dialogue and descriptions involving the two of them beca
Lindsay Cummings
wow, another killer cliffhanger from Amy Ewing!! :0 :0 excited to read book 3 :) and, also, I want a black key tattoo now ;)
Nenia ⭐ Literary Garbage Can ⭐ Campbell

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

In nature, animals with bright and beautiful colors are actually warning you off: "Do not eat or touch me! I will poison you! You will be sorry!" In the literary universe, books with beautiful colors appear to be similarly warning you off: "Do not read me! I will annoy you! You will be sorry!" The prettier the cover, the more likely the book is to be bad. This has been proven by science.*

*AKA, someone told me this once on a forum & I be
Dannii Elle
Actual rating 2.5/5 stars.

I’m starting to understand what it is that is keeping me at a distance from enjoying this series. Whilst I am fascinated by the concept I feel everything that happens to main character Violet is second-hand, and she is just a passive participant of this adventure rather than the rightful protagonist. She has no agency of her own and is borne along on others’ plans. The reason the novellas worked so well for me was because Raven and Garnet, who featured in each, were act
rachel ❀
2018 TBR Challenge: Book #10 ★★

Trigger warnings for violence/death, unconsented pregnancy, miscarriage, needles/illness, child abuse, suicide, self-harm, sexual assault/rape, drug usage/addiction and child prostitution/paedophilia.

On occasion, I’ll stumble across a series that, despite all its objective flaws, works for me. There is something about this world, this series, that pulls me in. While I understand that a lot of other readers were disappointed with this sequel, I could not put it d
Drew
Sep 23, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult
3 1/2 stars. The White Rose came as a surprise to me. I had so many problems with the first book that I didn't expect much out of its sequel—so it came as quite a shock when I found that I was able to pleasantly enjoy this book.

Sure, the premise is a totally cliché fantasy/dystopian story about "the chosen" main character who has magical abilities. But I loved the addictive quality that kept me constantly turning the pages. Also, a bunch of problems I had in the first book were sorted out in thi
Zemira (Kylo Ren fangirl) Warner
The White Rose answered some burning questions I had while I was reading The Jewel. That said, it was still rather strange. No matter what, I don't really believe in this world building. Why do people with powers exist and why are they all female and surrogates on top of that? Why don't people acknowledge them more? I don't think the general population even knows surrogates have powers.

Violet is still obsessed with her love interest and I didn't care much about their scenes once again. Garnet, T
Mel
Feb 20, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A solid sequel to the Jewel. I did like the first book a little bit better, because this one was a little but slower. My issue I think is that I am not fully invested in these characters. I LOVE the story, but I don't really care about anyone except Violet, Lucian, Raven, and Garnet. But it was great and I am a bit !!! about this cliff hanger and can't wait for the final book.

Around The Year in 52 Books Challenge #48 - A dystopia
Danielle (Love at First Page)
3-3.5 stars

I read The Jewel only a few days before reading The White Rose, and I was completely taken by surprise. Most of the reviews from my blogging friends seemed to be lackluster if not downright venomous. I didn't expect much from the series at all, yet I totally enjoyed the first book! It's not perfect, and I understand why it wouldn't be a good book for some readers, but it worked for me.

With The White Rose, I didn't love it as much as The Jewel, but it's still a solid sequel and I'm exc
Antonia
Oct 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"'If you admit you need people, you can lose them.' Her gaze sharpens, returning to the present. 'But needing people can save your life.'"

This was so great. So much better than the first book. The story got so much better. And my god, the characters. Violet as the protagonist is okay, Ash is exceptionally annoying but Garnet (<3), Raven, Lucien, Sienna, Indi.. What a clique! I'm SO excited for the third book, I can't even.
Muse-ic ♬
That was fun! I'd say it was better than the last one! Definitely more exciting and original. I look forward to reading the last one.
Also I ship Raven and Garnet: no regrets! It'd better be a thing in the next one!
ALSO THAT COVER IS BEAUTIFULLLLLL! ♥
And what an ending!
I'm sweating!
Unfortunately it has been a while since I read the last book, so I wasn't as invested in this because there were a lot of details to recall.
I have no feelings towards Ash.
Garnet is my gem. And yes of course that pun is
Beth  (YA Books Central)
So first of all....THAT COVER...I mean seriously?? What an gorgeous cover..I absolutely loved the cover of the first book in this series, The Jewel, and didn't think they would be able to top it..but they did.

I loved The Jewel so much and when I finished it and it left such a cliffhanger....I thought I would die until I got my hands on the sequel...So when I opened my mail and saw The White Rose...I literally screamed! and let me tell you....I was not disappointed..it was worth the wait!!!

The W
Stephanie (Bookfever)
It wasn't like I totally hated The White Rose but I thought it was just an okay book and I definitely liked it less than the first one.

The story pretty much picked up where it left off. After catching Violet and Ash together, the Duchess throws Ash in the dungeon to be executed and locks Violet up, while murdering a dear friend of Violet's. So, yeah, you can say the book started out with a bang, I'll give it that.

What I didn't like about it was the lack of serious world and character building. T
Jaime (Two Chicks on Books)
Ok this one was better than book 1! It had more back story, more magic, and more of my beloved Garnet. I will say there was 1 thing that happened that I saw coming from a mile away but I seriously can't wait for book 3!
Yoda
I really like this series. I like that there is no unnecessary plot that just gets in the way.
I just wish it didnt ubruptly end while the third was is still on its way, not something I can blame the writer for thou.
Nonah
Nov 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book more than The Jewel!! It happens things and everything is more exciting, I ship Raven and Garnet, I hate the duchess more than ever!! And Why all this cliffhangers??? Damn it!!!
Sean
Jan 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What the heck just happened! The ending though! That was crazy! Excuse me while I go drown in my tears....
Kelly (Diva Booknerd)
The Lone City series may be the last of the traditional young adult series with instant love, a revolution and fighting against an oppressive regime... And I loved every moment. It's almost a guilty pleasure much in the same way readers enjoyed The Selection, and The White Rose is a fantastic installment in the series. Once again we follow the storyline of Violet on her journey as Surrogate for the Duchess of The Lake, for her Augury ability and her unusua
Sandra (LadyGrey Reads)
Read for the BookTubeAThon 2016, challenge #1: read a book with yellow on the cover

Actual rating: 3.5 stars

Alright, so this was a bit of a letdown compared to book down. Definitely felt like the infamous "second book" in a trilogy that acts as a bridge between the first and the third - not much happened in my opinion, other than solving some stuff from book one and setting up stuff for book three. Yes, there were some important events, but it did not feel as intense as the first book.

I am, howev
Grüffeline
Mar 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is about an entire population enslaved to serve the needs of a few.

Although I remembered what the ciffhanger was, it still got me. I'm shaking.
I love the world Amy Ewing built here. It's really fascinating and it's so damn cruel with all of these people being trampled on just so a few can live in luxury. It makes we want to join the fight.
While this books is a quick read (the writing style is really good, it's easy to get through and yet it keeps you on your toes because you don't know
Maddie
Dec 04, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
While I struggled to remain interested in the first half of this book, when the team were just moving from circle to circle, being hunted, the second half really grabbed my attention. I loved learning more about the origins of the Lone City and the explanation for Violet being the chosen one was great. What was even greater was the battle plan at the end. I love the idea of more than one person being a leader of rebellion.

I loved that magic played a bigger role in this book and that's what real
Krystal Bond
I don't know what to say about this book. It seemed so rushed and yet nothing even happened either in a sense. The book was only 308 pages and it took them 170 to get to where they were going. Some things were brought to light about the world towards the end of the book, but that's really it. I enjoy Violet, but that's really the only character I care about. The last "shocker" at the end of the book didn't even thrill me, I just thought to myself, ok. I'll read the third one at some point, but i ...more
Liz Weasleyhead
Nov 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“This is about a race of people enslaved and made extinct.”

O M F G ! This book was amazing <3
The first half of the book is so gripping and action-packed I hardly managed to put it down :) whereas the second part of the book is so full of character growth and character development :) I loved that :)
Rating: 4,5/5
Alaina
"The royalty take and take and it never seems to be enough for them. They steal girls to make their babies, boys to protect them, or seduce them, or serve them. But we are not objects. We are not the latest fashion of the most expensive prize. We are people. And I'm going to help make them see that."

The White Rose , continues right where The Jewel left off. Violet, Ash, and Raven are journeying throughout the circles to get to this place called "The Farm." They want their freedom. They don't wa

• Jubilee Manor (Landry Park, #2)
  • The Replaced (The Taking, #2)
  • Eternal Sacrifice (Mortal Enchantment, #3)
  • Queen (The Blackcoat Rebellion #3)
  • The Fire Sisters (Brilliant Darkness, #3)
  • Tarnished (Perfected, #2)
  • Rebellion (Extraction, #2)
  • Meridian (Arclight, #2)
  • Love and Other Things I'm Bad At (Courtney Von Dragen Smith, #3)
  • Going Viral (Potion, #3)
  • The Shadow's Curse (The Knots Sequence, #2)
  • The Dwellers Saga Boxed Set
  • The First Star to Fall (For Darkness Shows the Stars, #1.5)
  • Terrapin (Nordic Airre, #1)
  • Fourth World (Missing Link, #1)
  • Resist (Breathe, #2)
  • Darkest Worlds: A Dystopian Anthology
  • Monarch (War of the Princes, #3)
Amy Ewing is the young adult author of The Jewel, the first in a trilogy from HarperTeen, coming out September 2014.

She grew up in a small town outside Boston, where her librarian mother instilled a deep love of reading at a young age. Amy moved to New York City in 2000 to study theater at New York University. Unfortunately, her acting career didn’t quite pan out. She worked in restaurants, as an

The Lone City (3 books)
  • The Jewel (The Lone City, #1)
  • The Black Key (The Lone City, #3)
“If you admit you need people, you can lose them.' Her gaze sharpens, returning to the present. 'But needing people can save your life.” 20 likes
“Surrogates are not just silly girls, to be bought and sold and treated like pets or furniture. We are a force to be reckoned with.” 18 likes