Start by marking “Hotel Ruby” as Want to Read:
Hotel Ruby

Hotel Ruby

3.57  ·  Rating details ·  2,465 Ratings  ·  587 Reviews
Stay tonight. Stay forever.

When Audrey Casella arrives for an unplanned stay at the grand Hotel Ruby, she’s grateful for the detour. Just months after their mother’s death, Audrey and her brother, Daniel, are on their way to live with their grandmother, dumped on the doorstep of a DNA-matched stranger because their father is drowning in his grief.

Audrey and her family only
Published November 3rd 2015 by Simon Pulse

To ask other readers questions about Hotel Ruby, please sign up.
Asteropê Yes, seems that is is. Not sure why it needed a new title.

Edit: http://suzanne-young.blogspot.com/201...
Aisling Yes. It has ghosts, and.... I don't want to spoil it but there were some very gory parts.

Aimee ♥ | Aimee, Always
I wanted so much to love this book as much as I did Suzanne's others, but ended up being one of the biggest disappointments of the year thus far for me.

Characterization and relationships are what Suzanne Young does best--unfortunately, I feel like those two aspects failed in Hotel Ruby. I wasn't really engaged in anyone's character, and was actually pretty annoyed at the romance.

Don't get me wrong--Audrey's a pretty decent character. She's likable enough, in a way that she loves her family so mu
Faye, la Patata
Welcome to the Hotel California
Such a lovely place (Such a lovely place)
Such a lovely face
Plenty of room at the Hotel California
Any time of year (Any time of year)
You can find it here

Let me tell you something about my childhood. Back when I was a kid, I would fly to the Sultanate of Oman (a very peaceful Middle Eastern country) to spend time with my father. He worked there as the head Quality Surveyor of a pretty kick-ass construction company, and the times I spent there were one of the v
Paige  Bookdragon
Jan 21, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf, read-2015

"Go on," I whisper as I unfold my hands towards the open sky. A single fuck escapes from my fingers, soaring gracefully into the cool air.

"You're free now."

My last fuck has gone. I have nothing left to give.

-Tumblr.

description

If you think I'm not going to lose my shit with the Hotel California song, then you're dead wrong mate.

Hotel Ruby's blurb is intriguing. I mean, come on, a hotel that trap's guests is pretty scary. It reminds me of the Lotus Hotel from the Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief book.
C.G. Drews
While I totally did like the creeptastic-blood-dripping-hotel...it was still too underwhelming. I just felt like I knew how the entire story would play out before I started??? WHICH ISN'T GREAT. I want surprises! But we literally have a dysfunctional sad family rock up to a weird creepy hotel in the middle of nowhere and go "OOH SHALL WE STAY HERE A NIGHT" while I'm sitting here thinking "well this is obviously going to go badly, mate." It's like people in horror books have NEVER EVER SEEN A HOR ...more
Wendy Higgins
Ooooooh!!! Expect the unexpected with this one!
I'm usually a big chicken-scaredy-cat, so this was just spooky enough to put me on edge, but not horrifying enough to turn me off. It was a definite mystery and I loved trying to figure it out. I did not expect what was really going on or how it would end, but the twists were awesome.
Audrey was an excellent MC. And Elias? *swoons*
Fully enjoyed this one. :)
Stacee
I love Suzanne and her words, so when I got my greedy hands on a copy of Hotel Ruby, I couldn't wait to devour it.

The setting is instantly intriguing and the characters suck you in even further. I loved Audrey. She's got so much grief in her, but she's trying to make it work. Her relationship with her brother, Daniel, is one of the best. Their banter was fabulous and the absolute devotion to each other was a great facet.

Which brings me to Elias. Oh man, this boy is good. He's always well dress
Hannah ◇Reader in the Rough◇
Aug 25, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf
"In real life it's hard to tell someone you don't love them anymore. It's harder to tell your father you don't know how to live another day. My grief has stolen my voice"

DNF circa 60%.

*Sighs*

Sometimes authors mistake the word "thrilling" with the word "confusing". They aren't synonymous, not knowing what the fuck happened doesn't equate to a plot twist.

Also YA= Young Adult. Not to be confused with "naive" or "immature".

Young Adult (to me) is a genre about teens grappling with adult problems a
Rebekah
Feb 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya-addiction, 2015
Review found at: www.awesomebooknut.com

This was a book I was so looking forward to! It immediately captured my attention, when I read the synopsis.

I LOVED the overall story of this book, I really enjoyed the mystery and the twist and turns the author took to make this a really fun read.

This story focuses on Audrey as our main character. Her family has just suffered a devastating loss when her mother passes away. Torn by grief, her father decides to take them to their grandmother’s house to live.
Taylor Knight
Apr 25, 2015 rated it liked it
I was very curious about this book because the synopsis sounded exactly like Hotel California by the Eagles.
And it pretty much is just like the song. However, I ended up wishing I could just read a book about Hotel California instead of Hotel Ruby.
I wasn't into the characters. More often than not, I was annoyed with Audrey. She could have been a lot nicer and more supportive for Daniel and Daniel was just a messy character so at the end of the day, I didn't really care how Audrey treated him. I
Danielle (Love at First Page)
3-3.5 stars

For the most part, I stay away from horror books. I'll watch a good scary flick (when there is one), but I don't have much desire to read one. This book, though, set in a strange, beautiful hotel with decades-old history and whispered ghost stories, was something I couldn't resist. Hotel Ruby isn't perfect, but it's twisty and creepy and a definite page turner.

Audrey Casella arrives at the Hotel Ruby late at night with her father and her brother, Daniel, all of them grieving over the
Medini

‘Stay tonight. Stay forever.’

No, thank you.

Man, the blurb is so misleading! It promises something creepy and mysterious, but in reality, this
book couldn’t scare a toddler.

The first three-fourth of this book was so boring that I kept wondering why I was still reading it. Audrey Casella, the protagonist, is such a dreary and one-dimensional character. Her internal monologue kept me yawning away and I honestly couldn’t be bothered by any of her feelings of guilt, sorrow, or whatever. The love i
Melody
Apr 01, 2015 marked it as to-read
You know what the blurb reminds me of?
THE SHINING

Bring your alibis
(.....)
Last thing I remember, I was
Running for the door
I had to find the passage back
To the place I was before
"Relax, " said the night man,
"We are programmed to receive.
You can check-out any time you like,
BUT YOU CAN NEVER LEEEEEAAAVE! "

Yeah, I know. CREEEEEPY.
Michael
Jan 02, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2016
3.5 (also it's 2016 now how does goodreads still not have .5 ratings?!?!)

Well, this was a wierd one. It was a rocky start, but the mystery definitely found its groove in there. My problem was I didn't think the big reveal was as powerful as it should have been, and the explanation was all kinds of wonky, and I wish it had ended differently, but it was still a fun time.
Trish at Between My Lines
This review was originally posted on [Between My Lines]Books with hotel settings always call out to me as I love going to stay in hotels.  And a book with a hotel setting feels like the next best thing to me actually going to one for little luxury in my life!  So Hotel Ruby by Suzanne Young was must read for me.

First Line of Hotel Ruby by Suzanne Young:
"The treetops curve about the road like an archway, blotting out the moon and the stars.”

My Thoughts on Hotel Ruby by Suzanne Young:
There was
Arlene
Stay tonight. Stay forever...

Hotel Ruby by Suzanne Young was one of the novels I picked up at my last ALA visit in June 2015. I was looking forward to this book that I anticipated would be a great Halloween read. Unfortunately, it wasn’t quite what I expected. I was hoping for a more quick paced novel where the characters would suck me into their sinister surroundings and have me explore their story at the edge of my seat. That didn’t quite happen…

In this novel, we meet Audrey Casella, who is
rachel • typed truths
Review copy provided by Simon & Schuster Australia for an honest review.

It's been two day since I finished Hotel Ruby, and I honestly have no idea how to phrase what I want to say about this book. I need to emphasis that this is seriously the softest one star rating I have ever given. I harbor no hard feelings towards this book, I honestly just cannot muster the energy to care about it all. I should feel outraged or at least intensely disappointed at how dull, predictable and just silly this
Tatiana
May 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
+3,5

Только-только дочитав другую серию Янг, у меня ручки уже чесались взять в руки ее новую книгу и погрузиться в историю. Аннотация интересная. Клишистая, кажется что где-то такую же историю ты видел или может быть читал. Но даже некое ощущение Deja Vu все равно не оттолкнуло меня от книги.

Собственно, коротко о сюжете. Героиня потеряв мать уходит в загулы. Отец не зная как бороться с бунтаркой, решает отвезти ее к бабке к черту на куличики. И вот едут они - героиня, ее отец и брат, и на пути
Jun 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ala-2015, signed
Slow the first half but then some unexpected twists and a surprising ending. It was kind of the ending that I wanted but didn't think would happen but then it did! LOL I feel like I shouldn't speak much about this book because I think you just have to discover the Ruby on your own.
Yvonne (It's All About Books)
brhotelruby
Finished reading: August 20th 2016
Rating 3qqq

“It's funny how seeing another person hurt can break you down faster than your own emotions.”

(view spoiler)
Rose
Quick review for a somewhat quick read. "Hotel Ruby" sounded like a book that was right up my alley, so I decided to pick this up despite this book having a very wide reaction on Goodreads. My end reaction is that this was just an okay read, but largely forgettable. I'm glad I took the time to read it, but I honestly wouldn't read it again. It's a shame because I was hit by cover and premise-lust just picking it up. I think it was trying too hard for the theme it was going for. I loved the con ...more
Kattie
May 24, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting story, however rather predictable. I guessed rather early the whole secret and was quite disappointed with the way the mystery was unraveled in the end. It could be executed much better and cause the reader to have stronger feelings. All in all the ending wasn't shocking. The story reminded of the film "The Others" and that's why it didn't feel original enough. Also the villain à la Freddy Krueger felt like a borrowed idea. To summarize, it really should be a short story instead of a ...more
Trisha
Sep 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
"Here in the Ruby, we can all start our lives again."

This one was such an adventure. Even though I knew some of the twists early on, the adventure of the story and fast pace was so fun to go through! I liked Audrey because she wasn't all perfect or all rebellious. She had an attitude sometimes but not always and she made some unhealthy decisions... but...she's a kid! That's what they do! I loved the dynamics of the family because it all felt so real. Great story.
Lauren Stoolfire
Completely predictable haunted hotel romp, but still kept me speeding through the pages. Some unnecessary instalove and kissing. It's a mashup of "Hotel California", 1408, and The Shining.

Addi • Pages Within Me
Aug 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
This story is mysterious and haunting, the perfect creepy read now that it's October.

It follows Audrey Castella, her father, and her brother, Daniel. Audrey and Daniel are going to live with their grandmother in the wake of their mother's death, as their father has lost interest and meaning in his life. Along the way they end up at the Hotel ruby, intending to stay the night and get back on the road in the morning. However, at the Ruby things aren't what the seem, and Audrey and her family ulti
Lisa Mandina
May 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Stayed up too late last night to finish this. While I kind of had an inkling about what was happening based on them being put on separate floors in the hotel among other things, I still liked the way this story went. Review to come on my blog, probably next week!
☣Lynn☣
I'M FINALLY DONE!

0 stars if I could.

This one was pretty bad and it sucks because I was really looking forward to this one. This was like a baby version of The Shining. To me TS wasn't that scary, so this one was a bit dry for me. The whole idea is interesting if it was done right. I could have lived without the whole insta love bs. How could you have feelings for a guy you just met?! You don't know nothing about him, but you just know you have to be with him. UGH.

Even though this was a bust fo
Jon
Jan 12, 2015 rated it it was ok
1.5 stars. This one reminded me of The Twilight Zone, but not the classic one, the more recent mediocre reboot. This book is messy with the real grit of the story all happening in the third act and the rest is just dull and lacks momentum. The characters are dimensionless, the romance is sappy and uninteresting and the big twists are overdone at best.
Heidi
Nov 05, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Three and a half stars: An interesting story, with a terrific, eerie setting, but it ended up being predictable.

Audrey is impressed by the glamour of the Hotel Ruby, which is in the middle of nowhere. She is happy to finally be able to stop and rest after the long trip. After her first night, she is even more excited that her father is allowing them to stay a couple of extra days, putting off the day when her dad dumps Audrey and her brother, Daniel, off at her grandmother's. However, Audrey be
Jul 02, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: edelweiss

Hotel Ruby is a Young Adult book. I am not really sure how to categorize it. I suppose it is part mystery and part horror.

The book is really creepy. At the beginning I really had no idea what was happening or what to make of any of it.

The narrator is 17 year old Audrey. When the book starts her mother has just died. And her father is driving her and her brother Daniel to Nevada to spend the summer with their grandmother.

They decide to stop and spend the night at Hotel Ruby. The hotel is beautifu
Jennifer Girard
I wasn't expecting too much from this book and I'm glad I did! It was a very meh book. Super predictable, annoying MC and not enough blood or horror stuff. Come on you the setting is an old hotel with ghosts and it's not even a little bit frightful... I really liked the narration of the audiobook tho.
  • Lock & Mori (Lock & Mori, #1)
  • Velvet Undercover
  • What's Broken Between Us
  • Truest
  • Defy the Stars (Constellation, #1)
  • Da Vinci's Tiger
  • This Is Our Story
  • After Hours
  • A Magic Dark and Bright (The Asylum Saga, #1)
  • The Creeping
  • Young Widows Club
  • Finding Paris
  • A Madness So Discreet
  • Resonance (Dissonance #2)
  • Romancing the Dark in the City of Light
  • Until We Meet Again
  • The Rules
  • We'll Never Be Apart
Suzanne Young is the New York Times bestselling author of The Program, The Treatment, and several other novels. She currently lives in Tempe, Arizona where she teaches high school English and obsesses about books. Learn more about Suzanne at www.suzanne-young.blogspot.com
More about Suzanne Young

Young Adult Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
  • How to Say I Love You Out Loud
  • The Lost Girls of Camp Forevermore
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Scat
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Chomp
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
  • I See London, I See France
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth of March: A Story of the Boston Massacre (Great Episodes)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Starfish
  • Olive's Ocean
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
  • Little Monsters
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • 13 Little Blue Envelopes (Little Blue Envelope, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Train I Ride
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
  • Greyhound
  • Annie on My Mind
    $9.99 $1.20
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Curse (Blur Trilogy #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
    $4.24 $1.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
  • Taken (Taken, #1)
  • Julie of the Wolves
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
  • Emergency Contact
    $10.99 $3.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Old Yeller
    $6.99 $1.99
  • After the Game (The Field Party, #3)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Ticker
  • How To Keep Rolling After a Fall
  • No Love Allowed
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)
“Sometimes the beautiful memories are the saddest ones of all" -Elias” 4 likes