Start by marking “Stříbrná zátoka” as Want to Read:
Stříbrná zátoka

Stříbrná zátoka

3.67  ·  Rating details ·  17,520 ratings  ·  1,508 reviews
Lisa McCullenová se nikdy nedokázala odpoutat od minulosti. Ale nedotčené pláže a uzavřená komunita obyvatel australského přímořského městečka jí nabízí svobodu a bezpečí, po nichž tolik touží – když už ne pro sebe, tak pro svou desetiletou dcerku Hannah. Jenže pak přijede Mike Dormer, ubytuje se v rozpadajícím se hotýlku legendární lovkyně žraloků a Liziny tety Kathleen a ...more
Published January 2015 by Ikar (first published February 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Stříbrná zátoka, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stříbrná zátoka

·  17,520 ratings  ·  1,508 reviews

Start your review of Stříbrná zátoka
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
I think fans of Moyes' Me Before You are going to be disappointed with this one.

"Me Before You" was one of my favorite reads of last year. It was beautiful, heartbreaking, and completely unputdownable. This one had a very different feel and I had a difficult time getting into the story.

"Silver Bay" is a slow-paced women's fiction book that focuses on life in a sleepy seaside town. Much of the book's plot revolves around the local marine life in Silver Bay, and there were some beautiful,
Suzanne
As in many aspects of my life, I need to modernise! This one was a CD audio, but missed a chapter or too as it was bumpy. I’m used to this happening with the kids DVD’s all the time, BUT NOT MY BOOK THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

Another enjoyable contemporary read, I have read a few like this lately. This is nowhere in the league of The Ship of Brides but it was good for what it was. A nice enjoyable story covering various issues of the day – conservation, domestic violence, ethics and property
Duchess Nicole
This is a book about a family of women and the man who inadvertently falls in love with all of them. No, it's not as creepy as it sounds. Mike is a big shot developer for a London based company. He's sent to Silver Bay to scope out this quaint little seaside town as a potential spot for a major resort.

The tiny inn that he stays in is also the home of Kathleen, Liza, and Hanna...Aunt, Mother, and daughter. Kathleen is a seventy six year old "shark girl"...her claim to fame...Liza runs a
Sharon
Oct 16, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoy Jojo Moyes books but I thought this one was a bit slow to begin with and it took me some time to get into it. But once I was nearly half way through I really started to enjoy it and was glad I kept on reading it.

Liza lives and works with her family in Silver Bay. They run a small hotel in the area which they've had for many years and they also take tourists out on the boats to do a spot of whale and dolphin watching hoping to catch a glimpse of the most beautiful creatures of the
☮Karen
Nov 02, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good light look at a small whale and dolphin watching community in New South Wales and the repercussions, both environmental and personal, when outsiders seek to interfere for the purpose of profit. So many topics are covered in this engaging story: Love of all kinds, community, family, overcoming adversity.

From the epilogue, which summed it up perfectly:

Look out at the sea for long enough and its moods and frenzies, and its beauties and terrors, and you'll have all the stories you need. Of
Theresa Alan
Apr 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this as much as I loved Me Before You. There were a lot of twists and turns I didn’t see coming, and the story made me tear up several times.

Mike comes to Silver Bay in Australia intent on building a huge 5-star hotel that emphasizes water sports like water skiing and jet skiing in the bay. He stays at the run-down inn of 76-year-old Kathleen Whittier Gaines, her niece Liza, and Liza’s 11-year-old daughter, Hannah. Liza owns a boat and takes passengers out to see dolphins and whales.
Tracy
Apr 29, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I only got 27% through this and had to stop. I've read three other books by Jojo Moyes and loved them. This one, however, was not great. First of all, it needs an editor. The story was disjointed, there were inconsistencies, and it was just giving me a headache. I wanted to finish it... I was interested in the story: set in a small fishing village in Australia, which I found interesting.... But just too choppy. I couldn't make myself read another 73%. So now I'm moving on to another book set in ...more
Penny
Jun 15, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: contemporary
This is another solid book from Jojo Moyes. This one is about a small community in Australia whose welfare is based on whale watching. A large developer decides to built an enormous facility that will change the whole community and the locals lives forever. Unfortunately the man sent by the developer falls in love with the place as it is and then helps the locals fight it.

As usual Moyes' strength is in creating characters that feel real and quirky and with whom the reader is engaged. In this
Alina
Jun 14, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, romance
A soft romance, kind of boring and predictable. The kid and her aunt were the only ones I liked in this book (besides the animals :)). Not my cup of coffee..
Arlene
Rating clarification: 3.5 stars

I've been a huge fan of Jojo Moyes since she broke my heart with her amazing novel Me Before You, so it's no surprise that I'd be charmed once again with her writing in this novel as well.

In this book, we meet a heartwarming eclectic cast that includes Mike Dormer who is tasked to travel to the quaint bayside town of Silver Bay as part of a venture deal to build a multimillion dollar resort. When he checks into the Silver Bay hotel, he meets Liza McCullen, her
katayoon
Jun 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
full of feelings and sensations
Tsippora
Sep 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had pretty low expectations for this book, but ended up really enjoying it. At first I was a little lost, not understanding where the story was going, but 50 pages in and I got into it.
I started Silver Bay, and about after 62 pages I decided to move over to Ship of Brides, and then went back to Silver Bay once I finished Ship of Brides. and I'm glad I chose to do that, because the small connection between the two books. So if you haven't read either yet but planning to read them both, start
Alexa
Oct 02, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2014
FIRST THOUGHTS:

Boy, does Jojo Moyes know how to write! Truth be told, this garners a rating of 4.75 stars, if we're trying to be accurate. But Moyes has a way with words that just draws a reader in. In Silver Bay, she brings to life a story that is quiet, haunting and very emotional. Beautifully written, and I'm glad I stayed up to finish it in the wee hours of the morning.

REVIEW:

(Originally posted on Alexa Loves Books)

While it does start out slow, don’t let Silver Bay fool you. There’s a story
Corina
Aug 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
LOVED IT

I really enjoy her older books much more than expected. This has been my second book after Me Before You (which made me cry, and I don't usually read tear jerkers ;(.

In Silver Bay the characters are what pulled me into the story. They were beautifully fascinating, unique, and entertaining. It didn't bother me that there were so many different POVs. I rather enjoyed the different voices.

Additionally the location and whale topic was extremely fascinating to me since I've neither been to
Jules (Never enough time to read)
I really enjoyed Silver Bay, yes it wasn't perfect and I did guess the ending but I loved the setting and nearly all the characters.

I will definitely be reading a lot more by Jojo Moyles in the near future.
TL
Mar 26, 2015 marked it as dnf  ·  review of another edition
Just couldn't connect with it anymore :(
Estelle
4.5 stars. This starts slow but I am so so glad I hung on. Beautiful storytelling.
Hayley
Mar 04, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ideally I'd give this book 2.5 out of 5 - 2 seems too stingy, 3 seems slightly more than it's really worth.

Jojo Moyes' Silver Bay adds a heart-wrenching twist to the conventional chick-lit love triangle story. Set in Australia and London, Moyes has created characters who draw you in and make you want to learn about their lives. I soon found myself caught up in the intricate details of Mike, Liza, Hannah, Kathleen, Greg and co, eager to know how their stories would unfold.

Written from the
Leanne Lewis
Apr 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the third book I have read by Jojo Moyes and I loved the first two so much that I am on the hunt for whatever she has written so far but it seems a little hard to get the actual books here where I live so I may have to resort to digital copies :(
The book was in my opinion, slow to start and of the three I have read thus far, was my least favorite. It was slow to start off and many nights, I read only a few pages before I fell asleep so it didn't captivate me until about the middle. it
Liz
Feb 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I so rarely do 5 stars but this was such an exceptional piece of writing. To give anything less would've just felt wrong.
Silver Bay was both charming and lovely and gut wrenchingly sad. Jojo moved between these vast emotional landscapes like the seriously great writer she is, producing a novel I became very anxious to finish.
I loved the Australian setting and hats off to a British writer for getting that setting so true to form; this felt so genuinely Australian.
The twist at 90% was something
Caroline
Aug 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Perhaps my favorite novel of Moyes'. Told from different characters perspectives, Moyes paints the tale of Liza McCullen and her daughter, Hannah, who live with Liza's aunt at her hotel in Silver Bay. Their peaceful life is soon thrown into upheaval and chaos when Mike Dormer visits, unbeknownst to them, scouting out the area for his company's development of a resort. Secrets are revealed, and lives are changed. A truly skillfully written novel, that had me hooked from the beginning, even though ...more
Bibliophilic Richard
Rating: 3.5 / 5
Donna
Aug 13, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: women-s-fiction
If you need a bit of an escape from real life, this book might fill the need. This was a sweet story where everything is tied up in a pretty little bow at the end. I liked this even though it was a little predictable. There was also a "Save the Whales" and a "Save the Dolphins" message because a big resort wanted to move into little ole Silver Bay.

This book glossed over the real fight that would have taken place if this book was aiming for the realistic vibe, but it wasn't. And for me that was
Dana
Nov 10, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I loved the story and setting, but one of the characters bothered me towards the end of the novel.
Susana
A case in which I guess I connected with the story's at the right time...were I to read it today, I would probably find it somewhat boring.
Lisa Montanaro
Dec 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
A nice solid read with elements of mystery and romance sprinkled in with a heavy dose of the love of whales and the sea. There are multiple points of view (maybe one or two too many), and the characters are nicely developed. I liked the story and was surprised that it didn’t really feel like a Moyes book overall. Maybe that’s a good thing that she doesn’t neatly fall into one genre. If you like the sea, stories about starting over and redemption, and multiple characters, check this one out.
Jo Ring
Dec 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An older book by Jojo Moyes. Bit different but good once you’d got into it.
Amy
Jul 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015-book-sale
This book had a bit of a slow start but once I got into it, it got really good! Overall I enjoyed it and will probably try reading another moyes book.
Kathryn
May 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great stories well written of course. Jojo never disappoints. I really loved the connections with the whales, dolphins and the consideration for them practiced by the Whale Chasers.
Goodreads Librari...: Incorrect ISBN - please change 2 25 Sep 19, 2018 07:34AM

• The Star-Crossed Sisters of Tuscany
  • À la lumière du petit matin
  • Krystallo: Jornadas para Além das Fronteiras
  • Der Wind nimmt uns mit
  • J'ai toujours cette musique dans la tête
  • Liebes Kind
  • Meistens kommt es anders, wenn man denkt
  • Honigduft und Meeresbrise
  • Drei Schwestern am Meer
  • Der Verrat
  • Apfelkuchen am Meer
  • Das Honigmädchen
  • The Butterfly Room
  • The Sun Sister (The Seven Sisters, #6)
  • Bratapfel am Meer: Romantischer Winterroman
  • Für immer Rabbit Hayes
  • Aufbruch in ein neues Leben: Die Hebammen-Saga (Die große Hebammen-Saga 1)
  • Auris
Jojo Moyes is a British novelist.

Moyes studied at Royal Holloway, University of London. She won a bursary financed by The Independent newspaper to study journalism at City University and subsequently worked for The Independent for 10 years. In 2001 she became a full time novelist.

Moyes' novel Foreign Fruit won the Romantic Novelists' Association (RNA) Romantic Novel of the Year in 2004.

She is