Start by marking “Resistance: Dave vs. the Monsters (David Hooper Trilogy)” as Want to Read:
Resistance: Dave vs. the Monsters (David Hooper Trilogy)

Resistance: Dave vs. the Monsters (David Hooper #2)

3.75  ·  Rating details ·  854 Ratings  ·  76 Reviews
For fans of Jim Butcher and Kevin Hearne comes a heart-pounding new urban fantasy series featuring monster slayer Dave Hooper and his magical splitting maul.

When you drop a monster-killer on the Strip, all bets are off.

Holed up in Las Vegas after the tumultuous Battle of New Orleans, Dave is enjoying the VIP perks afforded a champion monster-slayer. He may be a superher
Published June 2nd 2015 by Del Rey (first published March 1st 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Resistance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Resistance

Mike (the Paladin)
Well...the adventure goes on. Dave is still a jerk, I know he can't help it but there you are. He's a jerk and we might as well say so.

After becoming a hero (super-hero?) and a TV darling Dave really hates that he has to stop his partying and go back to fighting monsters.

Inconsiderate monsters.

But things are still changing and the monsters have their own agenda...I mean just because they're monsters doesn't mean they can't think, plan, have feelings...enjoy really disgusting foodstuffs. Let us n
Heena Rathore P.
Oct 20, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: read-in-2015, dnf
DNF
Librariasaurus
This actually sucked compared with book 1 which I loved the crassness of. It was taken too far in this book and it just became a bit OTT and ridiculous. I get that it's a book about monsters and it's gonna et a bit corny anyway but the whole worldwide fame in the grip of an assualt on humanity it ludicrous. I hate books with heaps of pop culture and celebrity references. For me it dates a book beyond all redemption and ruins the story.

I don't particularly want to read book 3 but I will eventual
Hilary
Jun 01, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
First off, this was a disappointing DNF (30%) for me. I really thought I'd like this, especially based on the "Kevin Hearne/Jim Butcher" analogy hype, but it's not at all similar.

Second, don't take the 1-star rating as meaning it's bad. I'm sure for the right person it's actually quite clever and entertaining, but I didn't enjoy most of it (there were a few moments, and characters - Boylan springs to mind), nor did I find it funny.

In short, if you don't like what a friend calls "stoner films" -
Shelleyrae at Book'd Out

The second novel to feature rig engineer turned superhero monster slayer Dave Cooper, Resistance is another darkly funny, action packed fantasy adventure from Australian author John Birmingham.

Dave is enjoying his celebrity, in a typical Dave-like manner, after the defeat of the Hunn but the breach in New Orleans was just the start and now the Hunn are boiling up from the underworld realm all over the globe, eager to reclaim their dominion.

There is no getting away from the fact that Dave is a
pauliree
Mar 06, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: didn-t-finish
Didn't finish, couldn't stand main character
Judy Lesley
May 10, 2015 rated it did not like it
Book one in this series was a solid 4 stars for me, but this one took a nose dive downward in the ratings. As long as there was enough good Dave and redeemable Dave in the pages I liked the character. This guy I didn't like at all. Dave has finished vanquishing the monsters who came Above in New Orleans through the broken capstone and has made his way to Las Vegas. If you continue reading past the behavior of this creep in that city, you will make it out into the desert outside Omaha where more ...more
David
Mar 18, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Look, it was all right. I mean, I inhaled it, so it was clearly a book I could tolerate....

Shit, way to not damn with faint praise.

If you can read garbage like Jim Butcher or any of the urban fantasy books with edgy, tattooed women with mystical powers and an unlikely melee weapon on the cover, you will probably be into this. I'd like to think Birmingham is taking the piss a little out of those books.

What I really want is a sequel to Stalin's Hammer. Turns out I like genre books that suddenly be
Nancy D   Miz-Firefly aka Sparky  (Paranormal Junkie)
These books aren't for everyone. Dave Hooper is not very likable. Think of him of as an ass-kicking anti-hero with immaturity issues. I wanted less Dave the jerk and more Dave the monster killer, but this is a good continuation of the series.
Andrew Ward
Not quite as good as Emergence, I felt too much time and effort went into describing Dave as a douche, hopefully this was to lower our expectations from him, so that in the next book he shine's like a hero.
Geoff
Sep 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
Apart from a total dickwad for a protagonist, this is a great read.
I loved to hate Dave, and the mythos Birmingham has created here is wonderful.
Ken Richards
Volume 2 of 'Dave Hooper vs the Monsters' did what was advertised on the packet. A fun airport novel read, chosen because I wanted something quick and pretty think free to pass the time.

John Birmingham continues to troll right-wing gun nuts and nazis with his hero Dave Hooper. Dave is suitably politically incorrect, a dickhead and a misogynst plus nervouse about teh gays, but strangely, understands his faults. Sadly, the target demographing is unlikely to discern these subtlties.

Given that the
Amy
May 11, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, horror, dragon
The world is still standing. Kind off from Dave's last adventure. The military around America is all hands on deck killing these monsters including the latest... wait for it... Dragons. Well they don't last long. There's the usual monsters and a creepy thing that kind of reminds me of a wraith bug. (See Stargate Atlantis). So creepy, that sucks out people's brains for intelligence and becomes a stoner like thinking. And with all this going on Dave is on a mission to track down a woman who is dea ...more
Antoinette Buchanan
I really need a different rating system. It's well written and paced so it gets 4 stars. I can see the appeal but it's just so blokey and Dave our anti-hero is such a wanker (which is the point and I get the irony) that it would not be a book I would read if left to my own devices. It's a compromise book for listening to in the car with my spouse on a long car trip. We listened to the first one together and we will listen to the last one together and I'm really glad this is only a trilogy.
Cat
Jul 11, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Was looking forward to reading this one after the first one. Was a bit disappointed. Dave was really annoying although I realize he was supposed to be. Didn’t particularly pick up until close to the end when it took a bit of a different spin. Enough to make me want to read the third and last instalment. So not bad.
Dawn Folley
Apr 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A monster killing romp, with government double dealing…as you would expect.
Bryan457
Dave does both better and worse in this one, but that's pretty much how Dave is.
Cliffhanger at the end, not cool John.
Topher
Jan 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, modernfantasy
Dave is a hero now, to the whole world. So how do you act when you're a hero? Best go get yourself a good agent.
Sureya Kurji
Jan 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
BRILLIANT!!!!
Celesthe Story
Mar 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Book one grabs youbhghe b
Kaine Beveridge
again pretty much what you'd expect but has some interesting concepts that are explored.
Gary Fong
dnf. i love monster stories but i didn’t like the chars at all. i was hoping book 2 would be a better version of book 1, but it didn't happen.
M Hamed
Nov 15, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016, urban-fantasy
there is something really wrong and bad about this series
Richard Saar
Aug 09, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
From the Internet Book Review

I didn’t set out to buy this book specifically, I normally have an idea of what I want when I’m in a bookstore. However, on this occasion I was doing that weird fast walk, but not quite run you do when you’re on the way to catch a flight and pushing the time.

Luckily there was a newsstand right next to the gate and I’d walked quickly enough to buy myself some time to browse. So, with the few minutes in hand I saw Resistance by J
Debbie
Jul 14, 2015 rated it liked it
Following the same satirical path as Emergence, we return to Dave and the end of the world via Orc-creatures. We return to find Dave, drunk on his new found hero status, in Los Vegas and making a complete fool of himself. He can have all the women he wants, VIP perks he can handle and there's even live television interviews! Of course, Dave's sweet ride in life gets more complicated when dragons appear and the Orcs return demanding to see The Champion Dave. for a chat. Unfortunately, things get ...more
Jamie Bridle
Dec 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As with the first book in this trilogy, this book (and series) is great if you like hilarity, fantasy, a smidge of horror, and plenty of pop culture references to normalise things.

This series was probably the most enjoyable, most readable thing I've read in the last decade.

The series is based in the USA, but John himself is Australian. To my mind (being also from Oz) John's writing voice is very Australian, and this gives a more universal spin to the people and places in the story.

The only real
Mark Takacs
Aug 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
same review as Book 1: Emergence: Dave vs. the Monsters, cause really ... it's a "continued where the other left off" ..

----

I stumbled over this series while poking around on Amazon one day. I liked @JohnBirmingham's other books (Axis of Time), so I thought I'd give this a try, despite the reviews here.

I'm glad I did.

I really enjoyed these book(s). I see what the other (negative) reviewers are complaining about, but it just wasn't an issue for me. The book hits quite a few things I enjoy -- a su
Vinay Badri
Dec 22, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
World building and character development usually make up middle books in a lot of series and the challenge that middle books usually face is to make it compelling enough without compromising on the pace of the story and letting the book bog down. Given that, it is indeed awesome that in Resistance, John Birmingham achieves both with aplomb

New enemies are introduced and the world of the invaders is built up to showcase them as canny operators even if they are technologically behind humans. As far
Scott
May 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
After the all-out crazy action of Emergence, the first novel of the series, I was surprised that Resistance is quite a different type of book. There are two major action setpieces, but most of the book focuses on the choices Dave has to make concerning his new life as a superhero celebrity.

Critics of the character of Dave will probably not be back for the sequel, but if they made it this far they might be scared away by the hedonism he is engaged in as the story begins. When offered all the plea
Joanna Forbes
Jul 10, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: borrowed, e-book
The first book was a romp. The second began that way, but soon was requiring more than just a cheer squad. Dave is still pre-hero Dave under his superhero transformation and that makes for (surprisingly) occasionally uncomfortable reading placed in the context of his role in the human / horde conflict.

As a result this was a less easy read. The action is brutal. People die and sometimes it's not very nice, or funny. There's humour, much of it bawdy, but just when my eyes start rolling there's a s
  • The Last Days of the National Costume
  • A Call to Arms (Honorverse: Manticore Ascendant, #2)
  • Countdown: H Hour
  • The Broken Cycle (John Grimes, #4)
  • Grunt Life (Task Force Ombra #1)
  • Queen of Wands (Special Circumstances, #2)
  • When Diplomacy Fails
  • Extremis (Starfire, #6)
  • Cobra Gamble (Cobra War, #3)
  • Doctor Copernicus  (Revolutions Trilogy, #1)
  • No Hero (Arthur Wallace, #1)
  • Stark's Command (Stark's War, #2)
  • Falcone Strike (Angel in the Whirlwind, #2)
  • Conan The Marauder
  • Straits of Hell (Destroyermen, #10)
  • Red Claw
  • Hardship (Theirs Not to Reason Why, #4)
  • Monster Hunter Legion (Monster Hunter International, #4)
John Birmingham grew up in Ipswich, Queensland and was educated at St Edmunds Christian Brother's College in Ipswich and the University of Queensland in Brisbane. His only stint of full time employment was as a researcher at the Defence Department. After this he returned to Queensland to study law but he did not complete his legal studies, choosing instead to pursue a career as a writer. He curren ...more
More about John Birmingham

David Hooper (6 books)
  • Emergence (David Hooper, #1)
  • A Protocol for Monsters: Dave vs the Monsters
  • Soul Full of Guns: Dave vs the Monsters
  • Ascendance: Dave vs. the Monsters (David Hooper, #3)
  • The Chronicles of Dave: Dave vs the Monsters: Includes A Protocol for Monsters & A Soul Full of Guns