Start by marking “Big Magic: Creative Living Beyond Fear” as Want to Read:
Big Magic: Creative Living Beyond Fear

Big Magic: Creative Living Beyond Fear

3.92  ·  Rating details ·  123,677 ratings  ·  10,237 reviews
The instant #1 NEW YORK TIMES Bestseller

"A must read for anyone hoping to live a creative life... I dare you not to be inspired to be brave, to be free, and to be curious.” —PopSugar

From the worldwide bestselling author of Eat Pray Love and City of Girls: the path to the vibrant, fulfilling life you’ve dreamed of

Readers of all ages and walks of life have drawn
Published September 22nd 2015 by Riverhead Books

To ask other readers questions about Big Magic, please sign up.
David Lynch We are all scared. Every last one of us experience it daily. Look at my avatar - I'm obviously petrified!

There are two kinds of people: those who feel…more

There are two kinds of people: those who feel fear and stop in their tracks, and those who feel fear and keep going. The good news is, you can switch to the 2nd kind of person by learning that fear does not equal a stop sign. Fear can also equal excitement.

One of my favorite quotes is "Mastering fear doesn't mean getting rid of the butterflies in your stomach. It means teaching them to fly in formation."(less)
Kate Dana Yes, read it! It is an ideal time to pick it up. Especially if you are a creative person and foresee creative pursuits in your future. The writing…moreYes, read it! It is an ideal time to pick it up. Especially if you are a creative person and foresee creative pursuits in your future. The writing style is very casual and conversational; it's a very easy, fast read. Honestly, I wish this book was around when I was a teen heading to art school and my design career that followed. It would have helped me a lot with many of the dips and dives along the way!(less)

·  123,677 ratings  ·  10,237 reviews

Start your review of Big Magic: Creative Living Beyond Fear
Ariel
Oct 05, 2015 rated it it was ok
I appreciate and respect Elizabeth Gilbert's attempt to inspire creativity, and can fully see why people could love this and take a lot away from it.. but there were too many fundamental things that I disagreed with/thought were done poorly for me.

1) Creativity as a type of religion: I don't know if "religion" is the right word here, but Gilbert's spiritualization of creativity is saturated in this book. She talks about our need to think of creativity as a spiritual entity, to believe that ideas
Lorilin
Jul 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, arc, wellness
Talk about receiving the right message at the right time. Wow. Big Magic is one of the most honest discussions about the creative process that I’ve ever read. Gilbert strikes a playful and conversational tone, but make no mistake, this is all straight talk. Her no BS attitude helps do away with the unrealistic expectations and unnecessary melodrama attached to the concept of “creative living” (like how she so expertly pish poshes the tormented artist ideal). And in its place, she asks all people ...more
Darth J
Jan 05, 2016 rated it did not like it
Preach, Vain, Snore

You know, I didn't enter into this as a "hate-read", despite being such a cynic. I don't like to waste my time and money on things just to have something to snark at (I can already hear the snickering in the audience as I write that). You see, with any of these advice books I actually want to learn something useful; that's the whole reason why I would pick it up in the first place. Despite being utterly let down with her previous book, I genuinely wanted to give this a try, if
Chris Blocker
May 07, 2015 rated it liked it

Is it mere coincidence that BIG is synonymous with FAT and that MAGIC is one of those oblique words difficult to put your finger on, like CHANCE? Because I think that's a better title for this book: Fat Chance. That's the message here: you're gonna fail, you big loser! Where's the big magic in that?

I get it, some artists are confused about the outcomes or reasons for pursuing creative ventures. It's true, most of us are going to fail and fail again. Many of us will eventually give up trying.
Diane
Thank you, Elizabeth Gilbert, for writing this much-needed book on creativity. It was practical, helpful, comforting and inspiring. I know it will be a book I recommend over and over again to writer and artist friends, and anyone else who wants to live a more creative life.

I've been struggling for a week over this review, and I'm still a bit overwhelmed. Sometimes books are so powerful that trying to cobble together a few paragraphs about them seems both trivial and also maddeningly crucial. How
Debbie

Favorite Book of the Year

Where to start? This book knocked my socks off. Which is pretty strange given that I’ve always been a die-hard cynic (with really tight socks). I’ve always rolled my eyes at spirituality and snidely called it woo woo (now I murmur woo woo with affection). And self-help? Please! I don’t need some pompous asshole telling me how to live right, okay? And I wasn’t a fan of Eat, Pray, Love. What a lot of strikes against this one.

So….ta da!! Holy freakin’ toledo! I know I risk
Elyse (semi hiatus) Walters
The message is...."we are all inherently creative".
Elizabeth Gilbert says..."Be an artist. Create for the sake of creating".
"Because creative living is where the Big Magic will always be".
And we paid money for this enlightening information. It's kinda funny to me... how
such an average book, by an average writer, ( acknowledges herself that her ideas
won't resonate with everyone), is such a huge success ---and by that I mean 'money-in-the-bank'. She doesn't have to practice what she preaches.
Nat
Jan 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
“I don’t know what I think until I write about it.”―Joan Didion

I was in need of a Nonfiction read to compel me from the start when I came uponBig Magic.Elizabeth Gilbert starts off this very book by writing about a reclusive poet she’s passionate about (“I loved him dearly from a respectful distance”), and I became swept up in the accessible, talkativewriting tone. It's the classic case of 'I should’ve been bored me but instead, I was fascinated.' The author has an eye for telling stories and
da AL
May 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This & 'The Signature of All Things' are my fave Gilbert books. As the audiobook reader in addition to writer, she does an incredible job of sounding polished, relaxed, & truly encouraging. Read or listen to the end for the 2 best of all her great annecdotes.
Cole
Aug 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I underlined something on nearly every page, and my margin notes look like this:

YES YES YES YES YES YES.

I haven't loved everything Gilbert has ever written, but this is one of those books that came into my life at the perfect moment. I say this often (usually about every book I read and enjoy), but I want everyone I love to read this book.
Rebecca
With her new book, Gilbert sets herself up as a layman’s creativity guru much like Anne Lamott does with Bird by Bird or Stephen King with On Writing. This is based on Gilbert’s TED talks, and it reads very much like a self-help pep talk, with short chapters, lots of anecdotes, and buzz words to latch onto.

Here’s a taste of some of Gilbert’s main ideas:
• Forget about entitlement; “You do not need anybody’s permission to live a creative life.”
• Authenticity is better than originality; after
Iris P

Ok so with a little more than 16 hours to end the year, my mind has been officially blown away by Ms.Elizabeth Gilbert, wow!
I am the more surprised because I utterly and unequivocally loathe the "self-help" book category. But what a rewarding reading experience to close what was already a fantastic year in books for me!

Listening to Gilbert's narrate Big Magic: Creative Living Beyond Fear was delightful, she has the most lovely voice and is an excellent narrator, but I decided to also get the
Debbie "DJ"
Nov 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Wow! I loved this book, and think it's one of the most important I've ever read. I'm one of those who thought I missed the creative gene. That people were just born creative... not true! Gilbert explains how curiosity leads to ideas, and when ideas are paid attention to, true magic can happen. She says, " The idea will organize coincidences and portents to tumble across your path, to keep your interest keen... everything you see and touch and do will remind you of the idea..." I love that! Yes, ...more
Whitney Atkinson
Jan 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: memoir, read-in-2018
I know this has mixed reviews but I didn't mind it! It's not my new bible or anything but it was definitely a kick to the booty to get going on all the story ideas I have. This touches on important topics about staying humble as an author, writing for the right reasons, persevering, and forming ideas. Although this applies to all creativity, I felt especially attached to this as a writer because she is also a writer.

A debated topic in this book is that Gilbert encourages people not to go to art
Warda
Jul 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
This was a highly enjoyable audiobook to listen to.
Creativity has recently become something that really matters to me. I used to thrive on it and I had a certain belief about it. That creativity can only thrive when you feel something. But the truth is if you were to wait for a feeling, your creativity becomes stagnant and it has become stagnant for me.
Now I know it to be a muscle that has to be exercised and that creativity isn’t as serious or as deep one thinks.
It matters, but it’s also
Jenny (Reading Envy)
Jun 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
I received a copy of this from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

I have enjoyed Elizabeth Gilbert's TED talks on creativity, more than her books, so I was happy to see her write a book on the topic she seems to think about a lot. Within this book itself she admits that she is writing it in order to explore what she thinks about creativity.

The book seems to be similar to one of those gift books you get when you graduate with highschool, with motivational quotes and pictures, those
Hannah Greendale
Dec 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Click here to watch a video featuring this book on my channel, From Beginning to Bookend.

Julie Christine
There could not have been a better time to read Big Magic than in the fraught and anxious, giddy and surreal days before launching my first novel. Gilbert's words soothed and grounded me, took me out of the uncomfortable, jangly headspace of self-promotion and back into the embrace of what it means to be a creative person, why I set forth on this path in the first place.

Fear is boring.
Yes. This. I spent forty-one years (okay, maybe thirty-five; for the first six I was blissfully unaware that I
Katie
Jan 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Although I didn't connect with everything in this book, overall I found it really inspiring and enjoyed it greatly!
R.K. Gold
May 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.5 but rounded up to 4

If you’re looking a how to book this isn’t for you. If you’re questioning your creativity or looking for a one way dialogue to reinvigorate your purpose this short work will do you wonders.

I appreciate the idea of creativity as a living entity and it’s our responsibility to accept and reject it.

Though short, by the end I was ready for it to end. It did get repetitive at times but ultimately I’m glad I read it.
Kate (GirlReading)
Jan 28, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
I had high hopes for Big Magic and during the first thirty pages or so, I thought those expectations would be met but unfortunately, as I read on, it just wasn't for me. I didn't personally agree with some of the ideas this book portrayed and Elizabeth Gilbert's voice and ideas just ended up not really resonating with me. I wasn't a fan of the constant name dropping and her idea that art isn't important, necessary or life saving. For example, she mentions how it would be useless during an ...more
Dannii Elle
I think I just found my bible.
Marina
Jan 13, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 1-star
I decided not to finish this book at about 50% mostly because the level of bullshit reached astronomic proportions; the final straw was Gilbert saying the writing and art are the most useless jobs in the world and hold no merit compared to jobs that actually benefit society. ... and she isn't joking or being ironic. This is a New York Times best selling-author telling me that writing is useless, thankless job. I wonder if she laughed as she typed that.

What Gilbert basically says is: If you’re
Erin
Jul 20, 2015 rated it it was ok
I won this as an ARC in a goodreads giveaway and I appreciate the opportunity to read it in advance of release. However, sad to say, it's very disappointing, and I loved "Eat, Pray, Love." This book is pretty bad. Two stars is generous.
It's just very cheesy from the beginning. There is no real science or logic to the book. It's just Gilbert's ramblings, page after page, ad nauseam, about creativity. The book is really just her writing history, how she was discovered, and why her way is the
Kenny
Jan 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Elizabeth Gilbert, Big Magic: Creative Living Beyond Fear

Am a better writer for having listened to this? No. Am I a better ARTIST for having listened to this? HELL YES!

If you are involved in the arts in any way, you must read this book. If you want to live a more adventurous life, you must read this book.

Bottom line, read this book.

Inge
Words will probably never be able to describe the beauty that is Big Magic. People have fawned over it high and low, but it’s one of those things you just need to experience for yourself. Whether you’re a writer, a painter, a quilter, a pottery-maker, a dancer, a singer, a circus artist, or anything else that could be considered even remotely creative, you need to pick up this book. You need to read it carefully, slowly, fully, and let it seep into your core. Trust the words. Trust the Magic. ...more
April (Aprilius Maximus)
Jun 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
I think I'm in love with Elizabeth Gilbert.
Faroukh Naseem
Jul 15, 2016 rated it it was ok
Please get ready for a lot of name dropping and "I believe's..."

“Because the truth is, I believe that creativity is a force of enchantment—not entirely human in its origins.”
―Elizabeth Gilbert,Big Magic

#theguywiththebookreview presents: Big Magic by Elizabeth Gilbert.

This is a self-help/motivation book and EG makes sure you know it is, on every single page.

She makes sure she tells you exactly how she 'Humbly disagrees' with an opinion (usually one which has been in existence since a long time)
VictoriaNickers
May 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Basically all the good advise you have ever heard on becoming a productive creative person all in one book. A creative living guide to life by following your happiness. This is definitely a self-help book. It was written for perfectionists and anxiety driven people (like me) and a reality check for everyone else on how to accomplish anything and everything in life. Yes, there is no earth shattering advise in this book. It is mostly common sense. It is about letting go of the excuses and moving ...more
Yodamom
Jan 17, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
DNF @ 61%
I tried, for 61% I tried. I found a couple quotes from other people that I highlighted but that was it. I never highlighted anything the author wrote. I had to ask myself why am I reading a book where the authors advice is not connecting with me ? Why wasn't it working, several reasons. One was the qualifications of the author, two was the lack of any real actions.
The author, I did not know who she was when I purchased this book, I had not read her Eat Pray Love novel, but had seen it
Creative Business...: Big Magic by Elizabeth Gilbert - Past Discussion 2 11 May 09, 2019 03:19PM

• You Are a Badass: How to Stop Doubting Your Greatness and Start Living an Awesome Life
  • Rising Strong
  • The Universe Has Your Back: Transform Fear to Faith
  • Daring Greatly: How the Courage to Be Vulnerable Transforms the Way We Live, Love, Parent, and Lead
  • Dare to Lead: Brave Work. Tough Conversations. Whole Hearts.
  • The $100 Startup: Reinvent the Way You Make a Living, Do What You Love, and Create a New Future
  • Girl, Stop Apologizing: A Shame-Free Plan for Embracing and Achieving Your Goals
  • The Power of Habit: Why We Do What We Do in Life and Business
  • Unfu*k Yourself: Get Out of Your Head and Into Your Life
  • The Crossroads of Should and Must: Find and Follow Your Passion
  • The Fire Starter Sessions: A Soulful + Practical Guide to Creating Success on Your Own Terms
  • Atomic Habits: An Easy & Proven Way to Build Good Habits & Break Bad Ones
  • Year of Yes
  • The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck: A Counterintuitive Approach to Living a Good Life
  • Made to Stick: Why Some Ideas Survive and Others Die
  • Better Than Before: Mastering the Habits of Our Everyday Lives
  • Lean In: Women, Work, and the Will to Lead
  • Drive: The Surprising Truth About What Motivates Us

Elizabeth Gilbert is an award-winning writer of both fiction and non-fiction. Her short story collection Pilgrims was a finalist for the PEN/Hemingway award, and her novel Stern Men was a New York Times notable book. Her 2002 book The Last American Man was a finalist for both the National Book Award and the National Book Critic’s Circle Award.

Her memoir, Eat, Pray, Love, spent 57 weeks in the #1
“Do whatever brings you to life, then. Follow your own fascinations, obsessions, and compulsions. Trust them. Create whatever causes a revolution in your heart.” 274 likes
“The universe buries strange jewels deep within us all, and then stands back to see if we can find them.” 246 likes