Start by marking “Louder than Words: Harness the Power of Your Authentic Voice” as Want to Read:
Louder than Words: Harness the Power of Your Authentic Voice

Louder than Words: Harness the Power of Your Authentic Voice

The next step in personal effectiveness, by the acclaimed author of The Accidental Creative and Die Empty.

There has never been a better time to build an audience around your idea or product. But with so many people and companies clamoring for attention, it’s also more challenging than ever to do work that deeply resonates with the marketplace and creates true and lasting i
Published August 11th 2015 by Portfolio

To ask other readers questions about Louder than Words, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Louder than Words

Start your review of Louder than Words: Harness the Power of Your Authentic Voice
Jane
Aug 18, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, audiobook
Where I got the book: Audiobook from Audible.

This was a bit of an impulse buy because it was recommended by a blogger I trust, but for me it was the right book at the right time. I’ve been doing a lot of work on the B-word, branding, lately, because I’m at the point in my writing business where I’m beginning to get a grip on who I am as a writer and what I’m interested in. More than just a marketing effort, this whole branding thing is an attempt to communicate clearly to my audience(s) and ensu
Julie Kittredge
Aug 17, 2015 rated it liked it
Didn't finish it. Good content, just too dry for me. Too many other books calling my name ... not sure why I lost interest.
Niki
Aug 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Eye-opening and inspirational. I took a lot of notes and have been mulling things. I finally had a breakthrough after months and months. I'm so glad this book found me at the right time.
Jose
Feb 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A must for all professionals

Recommended by a Distinguished Principal Engineer this book offers ideas about finding your voice. Great insights and exercises that will help you reveal and share your authentic self with the rest of the world
Alicia
Feb 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I'm having a heyday with self improvement especially when it comes to growing who I am, especially professionally. This one again did something for me. All-told, I used a pad of Post-its and had over thirty pictures of pieces of the text taken to remember and refer back to as I ponder more deeply and do some work around some recommendations and topics to consider.

This one focuses on understanding who you are and what you stand for in creating a manifesto for yourself-- who you'd like to be, the
Kristina Aziz
Aug 13, 2015 rated it it was ok
I might as well rename my blog "cover first, blurb later" because for whatever reason I thought this was a self help book for introverts when I initially won it from Goodreads.
Well, it is self help, just for business type people like bloggers and writers and the like.
Obviously this book applies to me as a former writer and current blogger, so I was interested. There was a little repetition, but not so much that it was cumbersome or patronizing.
Did it change my life? no. Was I picking it up ever
Donna Hinkley
Aug 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book, loved it. I have read it carefully and even took notes. This book I would recommend to everyone who has an instinct and drive to achieve an inner strength. I paint, draw, and write. But I get discouraged easily. Inside me I have a need to do these things and for some reason I stop them. This book has given me understanding to become strong in the knowledge of how to succeed. I love this book.
Ingrid C
Mar 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
So far this year I’ve been focused on reading books that push me to do some action. I was expecting this book to have many more exercises about journaling or keeping track of my daily activities. However, I found this book very informative and well-articulated. Todd did an amazing job at explaining what the basics are on how to find your inner voice but moreover how to put all the pieces together to actually have a fulfilled life.
This is a book that I will take the time to read again in the fut
Sherry Elswick
Sep 24, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: never-finished
This book just did not resonate with me. I wanted it to. I like the premise. It's well written and well researched. But it just couldn't sustain my attention because the concepts are over done. An in-depth article would have sufficed just fine to illustrate the author's point. I DNR'd this as a result. I have too many other books waiting in my TBR pile to waste my time slogging through this one.
Lindsey R
Mar 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A great book for anyone wanting to figure out where to start on an entrepreneurial project! The book intersects creativity with business and community. It gave me a lot of practical steps and pointers to follow to move from creating in my hobby room, to having strategies to share my creative work with others.
Laurie Lawler Boll
Dec 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
A how-to guide to seeing a creative project through to its completion. This book found me at the right time, as I took pages of notes from my reading and continue to mull over how I can apply some of these tactics to my current work.
Kari Guenther
May 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Awesome content, well written. Endless notes were taken :)
Cyndie Courtney
Dec 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Cyndie by: Lawrence KS Public Library
Shelves: own, non-fiction
Great insights and very practical step by step advice for implementing these ideas.
Ilona
Apr 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Some really good tips.
Siti Aziz
Apr 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
A reason to believe in your authentic voice
Mar 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book has already hit home and I think it will continue to be an inspiration and helpful resource for continuing my creative work.
Highly recommend!
Matthew
Dec 16, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A book about finding your voice. These are the thoughts I'm still thinking about...

"If you examine the most contributive, impactful, and ultimately influential people throughout history, the one thing that clearly sets them apart is their unique voice. They had developed a personal expression that distanced them from their peers and put them in a field of their own. Their body of work speaks loudly about who they are and what they value. Louder, even, than in words."

"The goal of developing an au
Charles Franklin
Apr 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I came across Todd Henry after reading "Die Empty". I appreciated his simple, but highly insightful approach to creativity and decided to join the Facebook book club for the next book he wrote. I finished reading it one day and took over 7 or 8 pages of notes that I want to follow up and integrate into my life.

Todd Henry continues in the same insight that he displayed in "Die Empty" but it's actually a deeper level. Instead of just talking about finding your creative identity in vague terms, he
B.J. Richardson
Feb 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
If you are looking for something inspiring that will awe you and change the way you look at the world. Keep looking, this isn't it. If you are looking for something immensely practical that has the potential to change how you live in your world, this is for you.

This book is only as good as you let it be. It isn't profound. It isn't mind-bending, but it most definitely can be habit-forming or changing. In many ways, this book felt to me like the follow up for Accidental Creative. That book share
Todd
Aug 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Once again, Todd Henry has written a unique perspective on how we can find our voice in the midst of a noisy world. I devoured Todd's previous two previous books, The Accidental Creative and Die Empty. In this volume, he inspired me to not follow the crowd but to have a vision for finding meaning in doing my own unique work. He encouraged my unique contribution to the world.

Todd's Accidental Creative podcast sign off line is, "Remember, cover bands don't change the world. You have to find your u
gatorlog
Apr 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Steven Johnson's keeping a spark file.
(1) What is it? a document containing observations, hunches, incomplete thoughts and half-baked ideas: Let's make it a habit to regularly reread this file to see if any of previous ideas or observations are relevant to what I am currently working on.
(2) Why is it notable? The key is to make it a habit to record ideas and insights as they occur, and to regularly review them for patterns that spark inspiration.

Some quotes to remember:
(1) The less friction is
Sean Post
Aug 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
Henry argues that our voice is the single most valuable asset we have to contribute to the world. But what is your message? How will you cultivate your voice to speak with mastery and authenticity? Who is your target audience? Full of compelling questions like these, plus a bevy of insight and illustrations, this book is worth the read for anyone who considers themselves a creative.

As a writer, this book led to some great journaling and reflection times. It's helped me move forward in clarifyin
Emma Pederson
Feb 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: giveaways
On pg 86, Henry recommends we take the time to consider our "mentor works," any work that has influenced who we are. Even though I was not yet finished with the book, I included Louder than Words on my list. This book has not only given me insights into my life, but forced me to think for myself. I think that developing my authentic voice is a work in progress, but reading this book has helped me to realize what that means. It has given me tools to understand myself better.
I won Louder than Word
Cat
Nov 22, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not quite what I was expecting, but still a good boon.

While the general thoughts and theories in this book are alright, I came to this book straight from reading the author's first Book the accidental creative. That book had tons of practical things I could (and did) put in place that helped me hone my creative skills. I was expecting a little but more of that than I got in this book. However the last chapter on teams will be useful.

If I had read this early on in my professional creative life
Cherry Jeffs
Jan 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book makes a good stab at analysing the different components that might come together to create this elusive element that we think of as 'voice', together with practical exercises to help you go about refining yours.

While Todd Henry's writing is always predominantly aimed at creatives working in a company environment, there's always enough take-aways in his work for solo-preneurs and artists to make his books a worthwhile read.
Kim
Aug 19, 2015 rated it liked it
I bought this book because I listen to the author's podcast. If you're used to Todd's voice, this book will be easier for you to read. His language could be simpler. I have an aversion to marketing-speak and Todd uses some of the buzz words that turn me off. But his intent is good and his message is helpful. I'm glad I read the book. Not sure how much I'll recommend it to others.
Roxanne
Aug 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
I won this from Goodreads. I can no longer work due to an injury so this book does apply to me having a job. But it does apply as far as us having our own authentic voice and being true to ourself, and being ourself.
James
Aug 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful book! It will not leave my night stand aside from to lighten up someone else's life. This book is helping me find me which is the best gift I could ask for from a book. Won via Goodreads Giveaway.
Brian Sooy
Aug 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Louder Than Words is for those who have the courage to reinvent themselves. It touches on the core of purpose (why), mission (what), and who (identity) that shape your authentic voice and provides practical actions for expressing it.
Athanasia
Nov 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Check out Louder Than Words Bookcast by Todd Henry

One more thing : Using a professional narrator ( this time ) you lost your authentic voice here.

That's your work, share it your way, use your authentic voice.

Thanks

• This is Marketing: You Can't Be Seen Until You Learn To See
  • Accidental Genius: Using Writing to Generate Your Best Ideas, Insight, and Content
  • Way of the Wolf: Become a Master Closer with Straight Line Selling
  • Conscious: A Brief Guide to the Fundamental Mystery of the Mind
  • No Ego: How Leaders Can Cut the Cost of Workplace Drama, End Entitlement, and Drive Big Results
  • How to Write a Sentence: And How to Read One
  • The Turn of the Screw and Other Short Fiction
  • The Elite: The Story of Special Forces – From Ancient Sparta to the War on Terror
  • Ignition!: An informal history of liquid rocket propellants
  • Charlie Munger: The Complete Investor
  • The Thoughtful Leader: How to use your head and your heart to inspire others
  • The Last Conversation (Forward collection)
  • How to Win an Argument: An Ancient Guide to the Art of Persuasion
  • The Essential Handbook for the Bitcoin Blockchain: Understand the Technology
  • On Power
  • 100 Deadly Skills: Survival Edition: The SEAL Operative's Guide to Surviving in the Wild and Being Prepared for Any Disaster
  • How to Think about War: An Ancient Guide to Foreign Policy

News & Interviews

“No matter how successful you are, or how skillful you may be, stretching beyond your comfort zone will mean feeling “less than” for a time.” 2 likes
“When you are pouring yourself into your work and bringing your unique perspective and skills to the table, then you are adding value that only you are capable of contributing.” 2 likes