Start by marking “The Lost Brother (Gareth and Gwen Medieval Mysteries, #6)” as Want to Read:
The Lost Brother (Gareth and Gwen Medieval Mysteries, #6)

The Lost Brother

(Gareth and Gwen Medieval Mysteries #6)

November 1146. Gwynedd is at war with Ranulf, Earl of Chester, who seeks to gain a foothold in Wales against the day peace finally comes to England. On the eve of King Owain’s counter-assault on Mold Castle, the body of a woman who bears a striking resemblance to Gwen is discovered buried in someone else’s grave. Even in the midst of war, murder must be investigated, and i ...more
Published February 8th 2015 by The Morgan-Stanwood Publishing Group

To ask other readers questions about The Lost Brother, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Lost Brother

Start your review of The Lost Brother (Gareth and Gwen Medieval Mysteries, #6)
Alison
Mar 21, 2015 rated it liked it
I have a little Welsh history, and I had been wondering how Woodbury would deal with the events covered in this book. She makes the interesting choice to wrap them up with a fairly absurd Gwen and Gareth-centric plotline, clearly designed to bring them into the centre of the action. It wasn't a choice I was fond of, really, as in the end I felt it detracted from a strong and powerful narrative about the cost of politics and the very real downsides of being in the midst of it.

In many ways, the pa
Lorraine
Mar 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those who like the Medieval Period.
Once again I enjoyed this Gwen and Garth Medieval Mystery although it ended on a sad note. I know the area of Chester so I could picture where some of the book took place. The way Gwen and Garth work as a team is great to see. I admire these characters. Well done to the author as I look forward to the next one!
Bethany Swafford
Oct 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Important letters and the arrival of Danish allies brings Gwen and Gareth together after being separated for months. On the same day, a body resembling Gwen is discovered and when a second body resembling Gareth is found, the pair know treachery is afoot. And that treachery leads to a crime that King Owain cannot forgive.

I've learned a lot about Welsh history from these books, and I had no idea how this was going to end. While some might complain about how Gareth and Gwen were woven into the his
Voirrey
Nov 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Paula
Jun 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Unexpected.

This is the best so far, in my opinion of the books I have read in the series The writing gets better and better and the series characters and settings more compelling and more real I am loving reading about the period and finding out more about the characters and times they lived in. This is also the roughest book in the series so far so get ready...Cannot wait to read the rest to find out how these main and sundry people fare as time goes on.
Chrissey Harrison
Jul 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Vickie
Jul 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audible-own
Another great book in the Gareth and Gwen series . Be sure to have your hankie handy.
Sian Iola Percival
Jan 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Such an interesting and complicated investigation, at some point it had to happen but it happened in such a way that things settle into place.
Summer82909
Jul 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I can't get enough of this series. I love the characters and the story is paced perfectly!
Patricia
Apr 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Ahhhh darn.

I still love this series.
Zee
May 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I have admired Ms. Woodbury's attention to accurate historical story-telling. The Gwen and Gareth series is engaging, interesting and simply marvelous!
Jena Duffy
Aug 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Emotionally felt

All throughout you are up and down with the emotions this book brings out in you. The bonds of brotherhood are felt and will never end.
Bruce
Nov 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Great characters, who clearly show character growth from book to nook.
Rebecca
May 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
*Gross sobbing* WHYYYYYYYY?!
Bron
Feb 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another story in what is rapidly becoming my favourite medieval mystery series. This one feels a lot bleaker, and not just because it's set in a Welsh winter. Serious perfidy is afoot that dwarves the actual murder. The discovery of bodies which look remarkably like Gwen and Gareth seems to start a domino cascade of misfortune. I love the fact that this is set in a part of the world I know, I've been to Chester many times and although I don't think I've ever been to Cilcain, I do remember a wond ...more
Noreen
Feb 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A great story. I feel the Gareth and Gwen series is getting better and better. As a history major and lover of all things historical, I knew what was going to happen at the end, and yet I still cried. There are good, believable characters that I can care for, but that still belong in the time and society that they live in.
Jennae Vale
Feb 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Another great Gareth and Gwen story

I've read this entire series and enjoyed every single book. This one was no exception. The author's knowledge of Wales and Welsh history only adds to the great story telling.
Katie
Feb 11, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I always enjoy this series and was glad to have a new installment, even if the plot was more than a little far fetched!
Valerie Antijunti
May 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I didn't want it to end

I wasn't ready for the story to end just yet. I wanted it to keep going until they got, justice for everything that went down.
Kathi Reed
May 03, 2018
Cindy Chewning
Feb 28, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• Cathedral of Bones (Ela of Salisbury Medieval Mysteries, #1)
  • Servant of Death (A Bradecote and Catchpoll Investigation #1)
  • Marked to Die (A Bradecote and Catchpoll Investigation, #3)
  • Faithful Unto Death (A Bradecote and Catchpoll Investigation #6)
  • Hostage to Fortune (A Bradecote and Catchpoll Investigation, #4)
  • Breach of Faith (Ela of Salisbury Medieval Mysteries, #2)
  • The Corpse at Windsor Bridge (Stephen Attebrook Mysteries #10)
  • Brother, Can You Spare a Crime? (John Pickett, #10)
  • A Swarming of Bees (Fridgyth The Herb-Wife #1)
  • Season of the Fox (Servant of the Crown Mystery, #2)
  • Ordeal by Fire (A Bradecote and Catchpoll Investigation, #2)
  • Vale of Tears (A Bradecote and Catchpoll Investigation, #5)
  • The Final Toll (Servant of the Crown #4)
  • The King's Riddle (Anglo-Norman mystery, #2)
  • A Dreadful Penance (Stephen Attebrook Mysteries #3)
  • The Wayward Apprentice (Stephen Attebrook Mysteries #1)
  • The Colour of Shadows (Sebastian Foxley Medieval Mystery #5)
  • Masquerade at Middlecrest Abbey
With over a million books sold to date, Sarah Woodbury is the author of more than forty novels, all set in medieval Wales. Although an anthropologist by training, and then a full-time homeschooling mom for twenty years, she began writing fiction when the stories in her head overflowed and demanded that she let them out. While her ancestry is Welsh, she only visited Wales for the first time at univ ...more

Gareth and Gwen Medieval Mysteries (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • The Good Knight (Gareth & Gwen Medieval Mysteries, #1)
  • The Uninvited Guest (Gareth & Gwen Medieval Mysteries, #2)
  • The Fourth Horseman (Gareth & Gwen Medieval Mysteries, #3)
  • The Fallen Princess (A Gareth and Gwen Medieval Mystery)
  • The Unlikely Spy (Gareth and Gwen Medieval Mysteries, #5)
  • The Renegade Merchant (Gareth and Gwen Medieval Mysteries, #7)
  • The Unexpected Ally (A Gareth & Gwen Medieval Mystery Book 8)
  • The Worthy Soldier (Gareth and Gwen Medieval Mysteries #9)
  • The Favored Son (Gareth and Gwen Medieval Mysteries #10)
  • The Viking Prince (Gareth & Gwen Medieval Mysteries. #11)

News & Interviews