Start by marking “Whisper of Evil (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit #5; Evil #2)” as Want to Read:
Whisper of Evil (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit #5; Evil #2)

Whisper of Evil

(Bishop/Special Crimes Unit #5)

Someone is stalking the little town of Silence...

Three victims have fallen to a killer’s savage vengeance. Each of the dead men was a successful and respected member of the community — yet each also harbored a dark secret discovered only after his murder. Were their deaths the ultimate punishment for those secrets? Or something even more sinister?

Nell Gallagher has come
Published June 25th 2002 by Bantam

To ask other readers questions about Whisper of Evil, please sign up.
Bella There is a connection as there are reacurring characters in the books whose stories move forward in the background. But it is a standalone book and…moreThere is a connection as there are reacurring characters in the books whose stories move forward in the background. But it is a standalone book and can be read on it's own without reading the others in the trilogy. (less)

Start your review of Whisper of Evil (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit #5; Evil #2)
Freda Malone
Jun 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kay-hooper
When you have FBI psychics scattered all over the place, it is no wonder that this series is about recruiting other psychics. Even though the writer seems to be fixed on small towns, there is no shortage of psychic phenomenon going on in each murder. Agent Bishop is head honcho, lead psychic and he is married to none other than his one true love, Miranda, who is also psychic. In the small town of Silence, undercover 'psychic' FBI agents try to solve the brutal murders of 3 men, who held secrets. ...more
Glenn Harris
May 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Psychic FBI agents pursuing evil while falling in love. What more could you want?
Jenny
Aug 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime, thriller
Whisper of Evil is book 5 of the Bishop/Special Crimes Unit by Kay Hooper. Nell Gallagher came home to Silence after the death of her father and to settle with her past. However, after the death of three well know men in the community Nell must use her psychic powers again to save lives. The readers of Whisper of Evil will continue to follow the twists and turns of Nell Gallagher investigation to find out who killed the men and blamed it on Nell Gallagher.

I love reading the books in the
Sheila Melo
Sep 03, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So Close to Being So Good

The Bishop/Special Crimes Unit series is a paranormal suspense series that includes romances but at times drifts between wanting to focus on the romance and then pulling back, wanting to focus on the crime mystery but then pulls back. At times the books feel like there is a deep struggle for what the focus of the book is.

Patrick
Aug 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
"Someone is stalking the little town of Silence. Three victims have fallen to a killer’s savage vengeance. Each of the dead men was a successful and respected member of the community—yet each also harbored a dark secret discovered only after his murder. Were their deaths the ultimate punishment for those secrets? Or something even more sinister? Nell Gallagher has come home to silence more than a decade after leaving one dark night with her own painful secrets. Forced now by family duty to ...more
Lauren
Whisper of Evil
3 Stars

A good premise but the poor character development and weak investigative process make this a mediocre addition to the series.

The pacing is off as the buildup toward the climax is drawn out and tedious while the denouement is too rapid and anti-climactic.

The romance reads like an afterthought. While Max and Nell have the potential for some sizzling chemistry, their past relationship is revealed in dribs and drabs, which makes it difficult for the reader to care about them
Nov 01, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: thriller, fantasy, mystery
This was fine. It was solid fare of the same flavor of the previous books. I think that my mini-gorge of the first five books in the series will be enough for now. These books, while enjoyable for fluff reading are formulaic, because, although previous characters always make cameos, it always features a new psychic woman, and she always gets back together with her first love, who is a "protector" male. Eh. I think I would enjoy this series astronomically better if it weren't so focused on the ...more
Brent Soderstrum
Oct 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
Another paranormal murder mystery by Kay Hooper. I enjoy books with twists and this has a few that pop up at the end. My only complaint with Hooper's mysteries is that the bad guy tends to be someone who there is no way you could have seen that person being the murderer. It tends to be some non-descript character who is mentioned a few times in a meaningless manner. So to those who say "I didn't see that one coming" I respond "Who could have?"

Nevertheless her mysteries are fun quick reads that
Nikki
Nov 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I love how I can never figure out who the killer is. I can always figure it out usually about halfway into a book but I have never been able to figure out who the killers are in any of these books and I love it
Witchmetal
Sep 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
These books just keep getting better and better.
Micky Cox
Jun 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
A plot full of twists and turns, just when you think you have figured out who the killer is another possibility is tossed in front of you. The 5th book in a paranormal FBI group series that is interesting and suspenseful. You absolutely don't have to read the series in order as any of these could be read as a stand alone. However, you would be missing out on subtle nuances that allow the steady flow of characters to develop and flesh out further for you.
Dimitar Jovanovski
Oct 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is the first book I read by Kay Hooper and it shurely won't be the last. It was a real page-turner for me. The plot is complex ,every character has a secret and maybe there are too many story lines but it was ok with me. The book has so many unexpected twists and turns that readers won't be able to predict what happens next. Can't wait to read another book by this author.
Jack Heath
Mar 14, 2019 marked it as to-read
Synopsis: Nell Gallagher has come home to the town of Silence where someone is seaking victims. Three have already been found.
Melenia
Oct 29, 2014 rated it liked it
June 2018 — I love this series so much, but this book is not one of my favorites. It feels so disjointed and hard to follow. It makes it really hard to get into it. I can read most of this series straight through, but with this one it was a chapter here and a chapter there... while each book can be considered a stand alone they really do work better when you read each one, so I still recommend that you read it if you plan on continuing the series.

October 2014 — Not quite as good as her other
Eve
Jul 28, 2016 rated it it was ok
I never felt involved with the story nor with any of the characters. I really dislike writting style that has too many threads and introduce characters that have no real input to the story. I want well developed, strong and likeable main characters, good dialogue and interestingly plotted storyline. Something like e.g Dream Man by Linda Howard.
Maura
Leigh
Aug 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Prior to writing this review, but after reading the book for myself, I've seen a lot of complaints about the simplicity of this story as compared to the others in the series. Some have argued that the villain in Whisper of Evil is so much more bland and pedestrian than other villains we have seen, and so there seemed to be a bit of let-down with the story overall.

I did not feel that way.

Once an author gets five books into a series, there is a lot of risk of repetitive themes, characters, and
Kate
This book would make a spooky movie. It has all of the thngs that would make an audience be swept up in the horror of the plot.
It is the story of a young woman who returns to her home town of Silence to handle the estate of her father. She arrives in town after 4 men have been murdered, all who have dark secrets. When she left 12 years earlier she escaped severing all ties, saying good bye to no one, not even the young man who loved her.
Nell Gallagher returns to her fathers house and begins to
Lizabeth Tucker
Nell Gallagher returns to the town she fled twelve years earlier to settle her father's estate. Some people are anything but pleased by her return, including Max Tanner, the man she stood up on the night of her senior prom with no notice or explanation. The town of Silence, Louisiana is currently dealing with four murders of local men with dirty secrets in their lives. Lacombe Parish Sheriff Ethan Cole has his eye on Max as a possible suspect for two of the murders, but doesn't have any real ...more
Doris
Jan 06, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: series, mystery
Although I enjoyed this book, the behind the scenes information could have been fleshed out more. There was a whisper of evil felt from the moment Nell Gallagher returned to her hometown, a year after her father's death. We hear it often, as does Nell, and we see her start to slip a little in the sanity area, as she wonders exactly what is happening.

There are twists and turns, such as the appearance of a toy from her childhood, suspicions from the locals, and the sudden appearance of allies
Nan's Nookery
Jun 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Another of my favourites in this series. The paranormal is on point, and right up my alley, visions, connections, black outs, oh my! The mystery was fun, intriguing and kept me guessing (although I did remember pretty quick on the re-read).

The romance, was again, not the main play of the book. It had more depth than some of the others in the series, but it was still filled with, what I found, lackluster reveals and come together moments. But I've never read this books for their romance, at least
Trevol
Jun 06, 2018 rated it it was ok
This was a weird one I liked the story and relationships more than previous Special Crimes Unit books. The execution, however, was clumsy. The end got confusing trying to keep track of who was who and who was working with who. Two early conversations of pure exposition each went on for a page or more. One was an awkward detailed conversation describing psychic abilities. The second one, a character summarized backstory and series info the other character already knew. Complete with the person ...more
Larie L. Hardy
Feb 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Not a whisper, a shout for another thrilling book by Kay Hooper

I love everything this lady writes. Her characters are so real and human they seem alive. Her plots are original and chilling. Just the thing for curling up under a warm quilt next to a fire and read until you reach the end. One of these days I'll have to stop and sleep but not until I've read them all !

gs
Beth Lechman
Aug 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Normally I don't read anything paranormal. That being said Kay Hooper drew me in with the first book in The Bishop/Special Crimes Unit series. This book has psychics and telepaths but also enough suspense to keep you reading well into the night.

I highly recommend reading this series is you enjoy suspense or the paranormal.
Jul 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
This one was a bit...less. I liked the connection she had to her hometown, but there were SO MANY characters you had to keep track of that it got confusing. Some were just in passing and they didn't need a full name, let alone a full page of what they were wearing.

However, it did have a good twist, it read quickly and I enjoyed it.
Tameka
Oct 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017
I must say that this was the most twisted book thus far. loved the fact that just when you think you may have it figured out it is not exactly what you thought.

I think the only that irks me is that I had that lingering question about her mom. I really want to know where she is?

such a devious mind and I love it. off to read the next book.
Emily Higgins
Apr 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: suspense
Nell Gallagher returns to her hometown to clear out the family home after her father’s death. She is also working with a special unit of the FBI investigating the murders of 3 men that the local police force has been unable to solve. Nell resumes her relationship with the man she left behind when she left home 12 years ago.
Chris
Dec 22, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kay-hooper
THIS SUMMARY/REVIEW WAS COPIED FROM OTHER SOURCES AND IS USED ONLY AS A REMINDER OF WHAT THE BOOK WAS ABOUT FOR MY PERSONAL INTEREST. ANY PERSONAL NOTATIONS ARE FOR MY RECOLLECTION ONLY

3.5

THE STORY: Nell Gallagher returns to her hometown after the death of her father to settle the estate. It is not a good time to be in town because there have been four murders of prominent men who appear to have been killed because of secrets they possessed. It is quickly revealed that Nell actually works for
Davia
Feb 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent paranormal!

Superb! Nell and Max were fantastic and the story and murders were incredible! I loved the team they put together for this book. This is one of my favorites of the series so far!
Kathy
Oct 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Very exciting book, kept my interest with plenty of surprises. On to the next in the series.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Absolute Fear (New Orleans, #4)
  • No One to Trust
  • The Seekers (Krewe of Hunters #28)
  • Almost Dead (The Cahills #2)
  • The Killing Game (Eve Duncan, #2)
  • The Third Victim (Quincy & Rainie, #2)
  • Born To Die (To Die, #3)
  • Guilty as Sin  (Deer Lake, #2)
  • The Dying Game (Griffin Powell, #7)
  • Deadly Night (Flynn Brothers, #1)
  • Now You See Her
  • The Stalking (Krewe of Hunters #29)
  • See No Evil (No Evil Trilogy, #2)
  • Deadly Gift (Flynn Brothers, #3)
  • Firestorm
  • Dead by Midnight (Dead by Trilogy, #1; Griffin Powell #11)
  • Ashes to Ashes (Kovac and Liska, #1)
  • See Jane Die (Stacy Killian, #1; The Malones, #2)
Kay Hooper was born in California, in an air force base hospital since her father was stationed there at the time. The family moved back to North Carolina shortly afterward, so she was raised and went to school there.
The oldest of three children, Kay has a brother two years younger and a sister seven years younger. Her father and brother are builders who own a highly respected construction

Bishop/Special Crimes Unit (1 - 10 of 19 books)
  • Stealing Shadows (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit, #1; Shadows, #1)
  • Hiding in the Shadows (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit #2; Shadows #2)
  • Out of the Shadows (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit #3; Shadows #3)
  • Touching Evil (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit #4; Evil #1)
  • Sense of Evil (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit #6; Evil #3)
  • Hunting Fear (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit #7; Fear #1)
  • Chill of Fear (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit #8; Fear #2)
  • Sleeping with Fear (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit #9; Fear #3)
  • Blood Dreams (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit #10; Blood #1)
  • Blood Sins (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit, #11; Blood #2)
“I'm not hovering. I just thought you might be interested in knowing that Nell's boss is here."
Max stopped typing. "Bishop?"
"Yep."
"What's he doing here?"
"Apparently just finished up another investigation in Chicago.""So what's he doing here?"
Ethan grinned. "I'm trying to make out whether you consider him a rival or just somebody who's going to
spirit Nell back to Virginia.”
0 likes
“Yes, I also came home to settle my father's estate."
"Would you have come home if it hadn't also been your job?"
"I think you know the answer to that."
"You hated him, didn't you?"
Nell poured the coffee and pushed his cup across the counter to him so he could fix it the way he liked.
Matter-of-factly, she said, "Yes, I hated him. And I think it's a cosmic joke that I ended up with all his
property.”