Start by marking “True Brit” as Want to Read:
True Brit

True Brit

Winning the United Kingdom’s favorite singing contest is a challenge for half-Afghani Pasha Trueman. He doesn’t have the best voice, but success would be life-changing. His strategy is simple—he’ll make the British public love him.

Ex-soldier Ed Britten has a different agenda. Winning means he’ll keep a promise made after a deadly Afghan ambush. His voice is his weapon, but
Published February 18th 2015

To ask other readers questions about True Brit, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about True Brit

Start your review of True Brit
Julio Genao
Aug 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: loved
trauma, and the art of getting on with it.

description

i read this during a tough time.

a breakup.

angst and agony and the terrible power of silence.

the works.

so maybe i had trouble focusing, because the beginning confused me. i couldn't sort out what i was "seeing."

but once i did—i don't think i looked up from my ipad for a day and a half except to relieve myself or to stub-out a cigarette.

con riley is one of my all-time favorite authors, so there was already a solid chance this book would work for me. i th
~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~
~3.5 stars~

This is such a beautifully written book. Con Riley has a way of capturing the essence of a situation, the flicker of emotion, the impact of a moment.

I admit I'm not a fan of television reality shows, particularly singing competitions. I tried to sit through an episode of The Voice once and despite shipping Blake and Adam, I gave up after 20 minutes.

True Brit, however, moved beyond the stage. I loved Ed and Pasha's alliance and the play on the title. And the shirts! OMG, I want those
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)

*2.5 stars*

#truebrit #truelove #.... ugh, I just don't give a F anymore...

Honestly, when you listen to this book in audiobook form, the constant saying of the word "hashtag" just eats at your soul after awhile.

Okay, so I just want to say that I'm a BIG Con Riley fan, and I can't pinpoint if it was the book itself or the narration that made me feel a bit "meh" about this one. I've listened to a few books by Matthew Lloyd Davies, and while I think he did a decent job with the voices (even if I kep
Sara
I’m going to get this out of the way; I love Con Riley’s words. I want to marry them, bring them a scotch when they come home, rub their tired feet and have babies with them. They complete me. They thrill me. They make me laugh and turn me on, sometimes simultaneously and they just soak into my heart making me deliriously happy that I am a reader of romance.

Okay then... so I have a guilty pleasure that I don’t hide and that is my love for two boys in a band that met on a talent show, who are tog
Vivian
Feb 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fr, romance-contemp
One word: Gamesmanship

Competition television... an interactive challenge or scripted show? The production team for BritPop! has a plan to maximize viewership and revenue. The first few rounds have gone exactly as planned. Underperforming, minority contestants seem to be falling by the wayside. Thing is, not all the contestants are ready to roll over.

It's a dog eat dog world. Everyone is selling something. A singer isn't just a voice. They're entertainers with an image, a story and in a visual m
Sheri
The other day, I needed a hug. And well, our current situation makes that difficult. So I did what I do when I’m feeling needy and turned to my kindle. I have been chasing all the generous book sales flying around and as I was flipping through my latest scores, Con’s named sparkled and called to me. Thank you! Gahhhh! I needed this story and I needed it now. It sucked me in, made me forget and made me smile…which is everything. It’s kind of funny that I don’t watch reality tv shows but I sure do ...more
Breann
#TrueBrit5Ever #TrueLove

Pasha and Ed are both contestants in a British singing competition/reality show. Ya know, where it's not actually based on reality, but instead on what the producers want the public to think. Ed and Pasha haven't spoken much and are nearing the end of the competition, when they overhear the producers plans for them, and it doesn't involve winning.

Pasha's solution to get them on top is perfect! Mostly because it involves them kissing.

They think their "relationship" is al
Simon
Jan 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I forget, between her releases, just what a fantastic observational writer Con Riley is and what truly inspirational characters she writes. I cried, lots and although I had this pre conceived belief that the subject matter of this novel was not my cup-of-tea, I was hooked from the word go, I suspect, rather like the audiences and fans of the Reality Show that the author here satirizes?
Is the Svengali character really a parody of Simon Cowell? I strongly suspect so and what a nasty piece of work
Bev

#TrueBrit followed by #TrueLove

Well, what can I say?? I absolutely loved it...such a departure from Con’s usual style of story, but in a very good way. Minimal angst compared to usual, lots of laughs, unexplored ST which you could feel simmering beneath the surface, her brilliant way with words, almost painting the actual scene in your head so that you sort of felt you were actually in the studio rehearsing Britpop! with Ed, Pasha, Anya and the Boyband who shall remain nameless, but Crabbe, G
Macky
Mar 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
Love 'em or hate 'em, reality music shows are now a staple part of the entertainment business so I was intrigued to see how Con Riley would approach the subject, as all the books I've read from her up to now have been very moving and emotionally charged. The 'fake boyfriend' concept and its setting had me thinking this would be more of a 'popcorn' read, but actually what I got was a sweet, gentle, slow burn romance with a lot more 'heart and soul' than I was expecting and I guess that's testamen ...more
*J* Too Many Books Too Little Time
Solid 4 Stars for me!

I recently added another Con Riley book to my TBR which reminded me I had this one that I needed to read so...

Why not?

And I actually really liked it. Kind of hit or miss amongst my Goodreads friends so I wasn't sure what to expect.

I liked the premise, the reality show atmosphere. It was different. I'm not always a fan of the pretend boyfriend trope. But it worked here.

I was shocked Pasha wasn't gay. Shocked I tell you. He had no problems pretending he was in to Ed. That asp
Debra
Definitely a departure from all the other Con Riley books I've read, this one is on the lighter side. I'm not the biggest reality TV fan, but I have enjoyed several books set in that world (Catch My Breath and Husband Material) and will add this to that list.

Ed and Pasha never would have crossed paths had it not been for their places on a British singing competition, and as the show progresses and the men realize that the powers that be are orchestrating the voting and getting ready to cast the
Gaby
Feb 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
4.5 Stars rounded up.

BR with Evil Kat is a Glitter Pirate.

So, this morning I got a tweet from Kat saying that she was ready to talk about this. And, so we did, and this is part of the exchange:

Kat: #TrueBritFOREVERRRRRR!
Gaby: #TrueBrit #TrueLove Muahaha
Kat:I bet you're grinning just from writing those hashtags
Gaby: I am. I'd take a pic and show you but morning me is scary. Grinning like an idiot. Bet you are too.
Kat: Totally and I'm unapoligetic about it. :D

Thing is we pretty much have been like
Eugenia
Two stars? Three? Two and a half?

This book had me on a seesaw. Didn't like it, liked it, didn't like it liked it. Maybe it was because I was tired, or maybe the plot and the characters failed to truly hook me.

Pasha took awhile to warm to up. I’m not sure I still like him. Much about him was an act. Ed was a bit more likeable, but he also didn’t grab me.

This is a GFY story. I felt tension at times, but sometimes it dropped. Man, I feel like this review makes no sense and I’m rambling. Read the bl
Sandra
With True Brit, her first self-published novel, Con Riley makes quite a departure from her previous novels which often had a melancholy overall tone and were primarily about loss and pain.

There are some moments in this novel too that deal with the pain from losing someone dear, but the true departure is in the overriding theme of this book, a book about friendships, about perseverance in the face of adversity, and a book about finding that what you never expected.

When Ed and Pasha meet, they are
Chris, the Dalek King
Charlie hummed as if considering. “I’ll do what you ask if you tell me one thing.”

“Name it.”

“Tell me the truth.” Charlie drew in a quick breath that was audible. “Is #TrueBrit for real?”

Pasha Trueman and Ed Britten both want to make it to the final of BritPop!, England’s newest reality singing competition. Ed because he wants to sing a song written by his best friend-–who died while serving with Ed in Afghanistan-–and Pasha because he wants to prove something to himself, as well as to his fa
AnnaLund
For my honest and true view of this book, please read …MORE

Goodreads TOS-compliant review (I think, let me know when they tell us what the rules are):

"The book I just read is about two (or three) lovely people, written in beautiful language, by a very good and prolific author. I liked it very, very much.
It is for sale on Amazon.”

DISCLAIMER: My reviews now all have this pretty face, so that all and everyone on Goodreads can stay happy and beatific. I’ll let you know if I change my mind. See the
Kat, short for Clara

This gif is a fair and accurate representation of my physical being while I was reading this book and also how I've been since I've finished it.

Because I'm lazy, I'm just going to link you all to the fantabulous review of my buddy reader and fellow Evil Disney Princess, Gaby, which you can find over here.

Maya
Feb 18, 2015 marked it as dnf

DNF @57%

I tried. Twice. Couldn’t get into the story.

It’s probably just me. It seems I can’t enjoy contemporary romance lately – no matter the different plots, too often I feel like I’m reading the same book.

Erika
3.75 stars for the story, 5 stars for the cover.

I'm not gonna lie: at first I felt very blah about TrueBrit and was thinking I might have to dnf. The first 30% or so of the book was pretty clunky, and the very beginning was too abrupt, to the point where I felt the need to scroll back to make sure I hadn't missed a few pages. I was not feeling it and thought that the book could've done with another good editing.

Next thing I knew, I was 45% or so in and I was loving it and loving the characters.
Dante Love Fisher
Dec 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Why exactly I thought this would be a fluffy read, I just don't know. Oh, because it was about one of those call-in television singing contest shows. That's why. But with Con Riley, it seems, it's never as simple as that.

I loved this so much. It was about moving on and finding happiness after loss.

It was also about prejudice.

It reminded me of once, a couple of years back, when I was staying at a hotel. I remember late one night standing behind an old man who kept pressing the poor front desk cle
Keveen
Jan 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
3.75 STARS

Since I couldn't decide whether this one should be 3.5 or 4 stars.

This was a really great story. Like I was thinking when I read how Ed and Pasha looked like, I thought this could have been a Ziam (Zayn/Liam) fan fic. Anyway, I loved Ed and Pasha. At first, I was annoyed with Pasha's attitude but I finally understood why he was like that. Ed, on the other hand, was very interesting and intriguing. I loved him from the start.

This story was about two guys in a singing compet
~Kristin~
Dec 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
4.25 Stars
I really enjoyed this take of an American Idol in Great Britain kind of story. I liked the concept, drama and especially the love story, it was definitely unlike anything I've read.
Ami

A little background : this book was generously given by the author to me with a note "it dealt with the run up to the Brexit vote, if inexplicitly. At that time, I truly believed that Britain would come to its senses, so it's an optimistic book about difference and diversity that plays with ideas questioning just what makes a 'True Brit.'

I thought that optimism did show in the story -- two unlikely pairing of a London-born/half-Afghani with an ex-soldier who decide to fake a relation
♣ Irish Smurfétté ♣
Full Review on Prism Book Alliance

Con Riley’s writing is so smooth, shifting rhythm in concert with the emotion and mood of her characters. Her dialogue is spot on and it was already sucking me in by chapter three. I was intrigued by both Pasha and Ed, their motivations and past experiences, and what brought them to this competition. Riley makes it look so easy, creating these connections between her characters to which I then make my own.

When I next looked up, I was a third of the way through t
Yrisa
Awesome story, epic ending and great epilogue! If I could give more than 5 stars I would. Pasha and Ed is my new favorite couple.
What else? "Pretend boyfriends" was a perfect beginning for me *_* Almost all secondary characters were likeable. Loved every little detail that made story more powerful. Love the cover very much <3

Worth reading and re-reading!
Anke
Feb 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing

I had trouble during the first chapter, but then the story flowed along quite nicely. In the end the epilogue could have been a few pages shorter. But that's most probably just me.
Heidi
Mar 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m
3.5-4 stars
Alisa
I really enjoyed this. I had to read it for a challenge so I had no idea what it was about before I started it. I was confused for a minute at the beginning but it quickly all made sense. I liked the back drop of a music talent show. I thought it was a creative twist. I really enjoyed both of the MC's and I found their relationship/romance to be believable. The author did a great job in creating the chemistry between them. You could feel it coming off the pages. I also thought the author did a g ...more
Pjm12
This is lighter than most of other Con Riley's books. Not that the main characters haven't suffered as much as ones from her other series, there is just less focus on their losses and grief.

Ed, serious and intense, with a natural singing voice, has one reason to win the reality TV singing show. Pash, charming and showy, has a different, yet equally important (to him) reason why he wants to win.

But once they discover each other, all bets are off. Now can they trust each other?

Great story, great e
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
The Backlot Gay B...: Con Riley's "True Brit" 1 22 Mar 07, 2015 05:33AM

• The Last Text
  • Gentleman Wolf (Capital Wolves Duet, #1)
  • Marc Jillson & The Gazebo (Love Inscribed, #2)
  • Work for It (Just for Him, #4)
  • Master Wolf (Capital Wolves Duet, #2)
  • Rocket Science (Love Logic #1)
  • The Parable of the Mustard Seed
  • Falling For My Roommate
  • Nailed (Four Bears Construction, #2)
  • Charlie Sunshine (Close Proximity, #2)
  • Redemption
  • Throwing Hearts
  • Say You’ll Be Nine
  • Pop Star (Famous #1)
  • The Last Kiss
  • How to Vex a Vampire (VRC: Vampire Related Crimes, #1)
  • Virgin Flyer
  • Slippery Creatures (The Will Darling Adventures #1)

News & Interviews