Start by marking “The Summoning (Darkest Powers Trilogy, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Summoning (Darkest Powers Trilogy, #1)

The Summoning

(Darkest Powers #1)

4.03  ·  Rating details ·  145,246 ratings  ·  6,066 reviews
All Chloe Saunders wants is a life like any normal teenager – the chance to get through school, make friends, and maybe meet a boy. But when she starts seeing ghosts, she knows that life will never be the same again.

Soon the ghosts are everywhere, demanding her attention. When Chloe finally breaks down, she’s admitted to a group home for disturbed kids. At first Lyle House
Mass Market Paperback, 390 pages
Published July 3rd 2008 by Orbit (first published July 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Summoning, please sign up.
Glen No. The worst it gets is, "he swore under his breath" (or similar) without actually using the language in question, and that only happens maybe 4…moreNo. The worst it gets is, "he swore under his breath" (or similar) without actually using the language in question, and that only happens maybe 4 times. A really unlikable character uses the b-word once or twice in the second book. The strongest thematic element is that of a thriller, but the violence is mild and all at a level appropriate for teens, young adults, and maybe even some pre-teens.(less)
Sydney It somewhat contains a love story. But it is not the main focus of the story. It has a ton of twists and turns and I really recommend reading it.

·  145,246 ratings  ·  6,066 reviews

Kat Kennedy
May 31, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who hate puppies and rainbows and sunshine
Recommended to Kat Kennedy by: not Tatiana, that's for damn sure!
I sat down at my computer this morning and tried to think of something interesting to say about my reading experience of The Summoning. It seems though, that all of my creative faculties have been sucked away since I spent eighty percent of this book imagining what the story COULD have been.

The story is like the little engine that could. It has the potential, it's chugging away, it's working hard. Only as it turns out it's The Little Engine That Could Have Been Something interesting.

The first pa
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin

I thought this book was pretty good. I thought the blurb sounded good when it mentioned Chloe seeing ghosts! I mean the first ghost she saw as a child would have freaked me clean out!!

Later on Chloe is 15 and in high school. She has a breakdown at school, or so they think, really she just saw a ghost that keeps melting his skin and looking all creepy! But this book is not what it seems at all!

Poor Chloe finally gets sent to the Lyle House for "special kids". She has no idea.

No one would say w
Heather
Jul 10, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009
This book was nearly impossible to put down and I have no doubt that the menacing allure of the setting and plot hindered my ability to do so.

There were several compelling plot points going on in this chilling tome, but somehow they not only found a way to co-exist, they actually enhanced one another. The idea of necromancers alone was an eerily intriguing concept but to then confound it with a mental institution setting was sheer sinister brilliance. As if it weren’t creepy enough for the hero
Vilde
Jul 03, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Reading this book made me clench my jaw so much it's still hurting several hours later. Although the story is not a standalone, it really left me with a bone chilling feeling and I truly can't wait for the next book in the series.

Chloe's a young girl struggling with her new found power, Lyle House and her housemates, the setting itself is filled with teenage hormones and jealousy. It's filled with mysteries and no one seems to be what they appear,this is especially true for her housemates. We jo
Kristi
Jul 10, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think I’m one of the last people to read this! I’ve heard nothing but how good this novel is, and that I must read it ASAP. When I received a copy of The Awakening, the next novel, I knew that I needed to read The Summoning, right away. (I’m almost glad I waited to read it, so I could start The Awakening right away! What an ending!)

This book is everything I was hoping for and more! I’ve never read Armstrong before, I really want to read her adult fantasy series, but I just haven’t had a chance
Amelia
I need to get my hands on the sequel!!

The ending has left me wanting more!
Tatiana
Jun 01, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of YA paranormal fantasy who like cliffhangers
Recommended to Tatiana by: Heather
Shelves: 2009, ya, urban-fantasy
As seen on The Readventurer

"The Summoning" is the first YA novel written by Kelley Armstrong. It tells a story of Chloe, a 15-year old girl who suddenly finds herself capable of seeing ghosts. Only, of course, nobody believes her and she is quickly sent to a boarding house for disturbed kids for psychological evaluation. It turns out however, that the house and its inhabitants are not quite what they seem to be.

While this book was definitely a page turner, I was a little disappointed in it. I fe
DarienMoya
Apr 12, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
^^SURPRISINGLY GOOD!^^

So I bought this book last year at a summer book fair, I was not expecting to like it cus me and Kelley weren’t friends after reading Bitten, which I felt was mediocre at best but this book came as a surprise. First I was all like typical teenage stuff, girl complaining about life, afraid to ask boy to the dance typical stuff. Until this girl starts to see things that no one else can and then it became all kinds of interesting.

Chloe Saunders is having some weird dreams abo
❆Francesca (Mother of Cats) Selina❆
Nope. No. Absolutely terrible.

Awful nail-scraping-on-a-chalkboard smoothness in the writing, characters more flat than a sheet of paper, plot designed by a teenager in the middle of a hormonal crisis.
Elise ✘ a.k.a Ryder's Pet ✘
⋰⋱⋰⋱⋰⋱*Why do I keep doing this to myself?*⋰⋱⋰⋱⋰⋱
BEWARE FOR SPOILERS FOR THE SERIES! This whole review can - probably - contain spoilers for the entire series. This review is mostly for me to remember the details.

Re-read: 03.05.2018 . Why I decided to re-read this one, I have no idea. I don't even remember it, nor do I remember liking it all that much... Hell, I don't even like YA anymore. Anywho, here we are and I'm yet again reading about Chloe Saunders (15) who can see ghost. She gets he
Arlene
The Summoning by Kelly Armstrong is a story about Chloe Saunders who is a fifteen year old necromancer just beginning to realize her powers. She is not quite aware of its possibilities and at the onset of her revelation; she suffers a meltdown in school and is placed in a house supposedly for mentally ill teens. When she arrives at Lyle House, Chloe discovers that her fellow patients also have unusual powers and all is not what it seems to be.

The story started off well enough, but really didn't
Tani ~Semi-hiatus~
RATINGS: 4 STARS

Whoa! That was one heck of a wonderful book. I liked the book cover and was pretty much surprised to find out that the story was great. At first I felt the story was slow paced but as the first half of the book finished, the story was taking zigzag turns and left out with a cliffhanger that made me check the book again and again and yet I wasn't convinced that I finished reading this book. It kept me on my toes till the end and even though I've finished reading this book, I'm an
Dec 27, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: teenagers, adults
This book turned me into a shameless fiend for the Chloe and Derek relationship - I adored their banter, and their romantic date in the basement with the dead bodies, and their other romantic encounter in the shower. (Note: my views on what is romantic may be deeply weird.)

On the first read, I found the book a little hard to get into, but on subesequent re-reads that hasn't been a problem at all. Realistic characters, interesting powers, cliffhanger ending... I'd do a lot to get the next book!
Daiane
Actual Rating: 3.5

Why is it that every time a girl says a guy is bothering her, it’s fluffed off with oh, he just likes you, as if that makes it okay?

I have to confess that I almost dnfed this book. The main word here being -Almost-.
At first it was too juvenile for me. And the plot wasn't doing it for me. Like, come on... Rich girl who is the perfect daughter but the father doesn't care that much about her and her mother is dead. Then she has her period decides to skip class and dye her hair t
Elizabeth
There was a lot of unnecessary discussion in this book. Like the characters just talked the shit out of some things.

"Are you-?"
"Fine."
"Are you sure you're okay?"
"Good enough."
"Maybe you should take a cold bath."
"Nah I'm okay."
"If you need anything..."
"Just rest, I'm fine."
"You should really-"
"I'm fine."
"You're not fine."
"I'll take care of it."

This ridiculous conversation took up two pages and there were plenty more where that came from. It was like OKAY WE GET IT YOU'RE FINE, CHLOE TAKE A HINT H
Monisha
This book was ^^SURPRISINGLY GOOD!^^ .

At first I thought it was kinda weird but that made me read it more to find out what was going on.

This book has everything a book needs.

Interesting, mind you, very interesting, characters, mystery, crazy people, and a writing style that says, "If you put me down, so help me you will regret it. Keep reading, you know you want too."

Did you hear that?
It sang the last part!
Sad part is, you keep reading for fear of waiting until the next time you might pick it
 Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~*
Jun 23, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* by: Secret Santa 2010 Pick by JessicaB
3.5 - 4 Stars

This was a We Love Lisa Kleypas Group “Secret” Santa pick from JessicaB. Thanks, Jessica!

This is going to be a fairly short, and a bit uncertain, review. Yes, I can do short ones without hottie photos! ^_^

This is my first Kelley Armstrong book.

Chloe Saunders is a late bloomer and puberty doesn’t fully hit her until her 15th birthday, when weird things start happening to her. She's seeing people that nobody else can. When she suffers a breakdown in school, her guardian, Aunt Laure
Alaina
The Summoning was a pretty good starter for the Darkest Powers series. I've wanted to read this book/series for a while and didn't make it official until a challenge I was participating in required me to read book by Canadian authors. Weird and highly specific but I honestly loved every book. Okay, not all of them I loved - but most of them I did!

This book starts off with a dream, Chloe's dream. Okay, more like a childhood memory. Well, turns out our girl can see ghosts. No, not like that movie
Julia (ten_thousand_books)
"We'd run down the stairs together every morning all through kindergarten and half of first grade and then... well, then there wasn't anyone to run down the stairs with anymore."

This first book always kills me a little bit inside. Especially this quote up there. :'(

"Cleavage is great," she said. "Like an extra pocket."

Preach it Rae. Preach it.

"It's called being considerate. Maybe you've heard of it?"
He batted my hand from the dials. "Darks, cold. Or you'll end up with the dye bleeding." A gla
Marty :} (thecursedbooks)
Oh, God! Have mercy, this book is so amazing. I can't even form words properly. It is my second time when I try to read it, I first tried some years ago and I read just the first chapters and I considered them quite boring. But now, I went further and I'm so greatful that I did so. At first, it seems like your typical girl-sees-ghost story, where the girl ends-up in some house for people with problems. Chloe is a character which I could totally relate to. She was passionate about movies and she ...more
Amren's Wife Taylor
Honestly, I added these books to my tbr forever ago, assuming I would likely never read them. But then I was in the library and the complete series was on the shelf right in front of me so I figured why not? Low expectations, lots of potential. And wow was I pleasantly surprised. I blew through this, didn't want to put it down. It was really entertaining and the characters were so very genuine. Believable. And I enjoyed being in the protagonists' head.
Definitely looking forward to reading the re
Lara (Bookish_turtle)
This book had an interesting premise and fairly good plot, but I never really connected to any of the other characters and there was a large section in the book where nothing was happening. It starts off really well with the introductions, context and setting, but after that the book fell a bit flat for me. Just when the action started back up, the book ended on a cliff-hanger. And whilst I understand it was setting up for the next book, and explanations were needed to get to that stage, I wish ...more
Darce
May contain SPOILERS.

The Summoning is a brilliant book about a girl (Chloe) who, when she sees someone who's not really there, goes to a home for troubled children. When she's there, she meets other teenagers who are also there for things that they've done.

This series is a brilliant series and one full of romance, paranormal subjects, betrayal, lies and trust. Another brilliant Kelley Armstrong series that will be re-read, and re-read, and re-read, and then finally memorised (except not by me b
Chris
I feel I should state three things before starting this review.
1. I am older than the target audience for this book.
2. I like Armstrong's adult novels (that's why I picked this up).
3. The first part of this review is going to include a rant. Positive remarks follow.

I wanted to like The Summoning more than I did; it is after all basically "Teens of the Otherworld". The first problem occurred early on in the novel where Chloe describes herself to the reader. She is skinny, very skinny, so skinny
Mary-ellen
This was an okay paranormal read.

It did take a while to get going, and the characters felt a little distant, but I did keep turning the pages.

Fifteen-year-old Chloe Saunders sees a ghost at school and freaks out. She is told she has a mental illness and is put into a group home with other kids her age, but Lyle House isn’t what it seems . . .

This book doesn’t work well as a stand alone read. The ending is really the inciting incident for the next book in the series. It’s not a satisfying ending
Faith (BookSelf ~ You Are What You Read)
This blurb like:

"My name is Rebecca Butterfly and I'm the most normal, most beautiful girl at ghost school. I'm not like other girls. The only the boy I like is the only boy I can't have."

I hate first person blurbs lol but this book sounds so awful I feel like I might actually love it.
Tez
Sep 07, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rachael
Jun 11, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
From when Chloe Saunders was just a little girl, she saw ghosts. Of course then, she thought they were only nightmarish imaginary friends. And her life seemed to become almost normal when they moved out of that haunted house and after her mom died. But when Chloe hits puberty, she starts seeing the ghosts again. Now she’s forced to stay in Lyle House so she can learn to cope with her “schizophrenia.” But the other kids at Lyle House have also been incorrectly diagnosed with mental problems. Ther ...more
BJ Rose
Jan 05, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to BJ Rose by: Book Haven
'I see dead people' - well, it worked in "Sixth Sense" and it definitely works here, mainly because there's so much more here than that. Chloe gets her first period and is harassed by a very gross-looking ghost on the same day - at school, of course! She's happy about the first event, even tho she has to vandalize the bathroom dispenser to get a sanitary napkin, but the ghost (her second of the day) really freaks her out, and the school insists on two weeks of counseling in a group youth center ...more
•Abby•
Jun 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Summoning, without any spoilers, was very intriguing and I couldn't put it down. It did go a little slowly and I was kind of bummed that most of the book was placed in the home Chloe was placed in. I really did like the characters and I like how they had flaws, unlike a lot of books where all the characters are entirely too gorgeous. It was just an overall great book and I can't wait to continue on with the series. :)
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • Full Moon (Dark Guardian, #2)
  • Enthralled: Paranormal Diversions
  • Betrayals (Strange Angels, #2)
  • Wondrous Strange (Wondrous Strange, #1)
  • Night World, No. 2 (Night World, #4-6)
  • My Soul to Save (Soul Screamers, #2)
  • Glass Houses (The Morganville Vampires, #1)
  • Raised by Wolves (Raised by Wolves, #1)
  • Falling Under (Falling Under, #1)
  • Speak
  • Dark Secrets 1 (Dark Secrets, #1-2)
  • The Splendor Falls
  • Glimmerglass (Faeriewalker, #1)
  • The Devouring (The Devouring, #1)
  • Nevermore (Nevermore, #1)
  • Echoes (Fingerprints, #1-3)
  • Heavenly (Heavenly, #1)

Darkest Powers (3 books)
  • The Awakening (Darkest Powers, #2)
  • The Reckoning (Darkest Powers, #3)
“He pivoted, gaze following me as I crossed to the shower and turned on the cold water, so it would drown out our conversation without steaming up the room.
Great," he muttered."Now they're going to think we're showering together. Maybe we can just tell them we were washing off the crawl space dirt and trying to conserve water.”
767 likes
“Simon: Anyone ever tell you your sense of timing really sucks?
Derek: That's why I don't play the drums. Now what's up?”
556 likes