Start by marking “A Life Less Beautiful” as Want to Read:
A Life Less Beautiful

A Life Less Beautiful

4.07  ·  Rating details ·  137 Ratings  ·  53 Reviews
Ellis Hughes has loved the girl next door since he was ten-years-old. She was his sun, moon, and every visible star in a clear night sky. She was also his biggest regret.

Kindle Edition
Published June 8th 2017 by Elle Brooks Author Ltd

KAT ⚛ Kitty Kat's Crazy About Books ⚛
 photo ARC BANNER_zpsll5r858b.jpg
 photo Untitled_zpsliw2m46p.jpg

photo goodreads border_zpsy5xc8i94.jpg
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

REVIEW CAN ALSO BE SEEN ON MY BLOG
👉 KITTY KATS CRAZY ABOUT BOOKS

A LIFE LESS BEAUTIFUL: Is a standalone Contemporary Romance Novel by Elle Brooks.This book is written in dual POV and smoothly transitions between Past to Present. This was my first book by this author but it most definitely won't be the last, she pulled so many emotions out of me so I'm keen to see if she'll do that again.

I'll try my hardest not to divulge any spoilers.

Ellis Hughs has been in love with the girl next door H
Hulya Kara Yuksel
Jun 12, 2017 rated it liked it
Recommended to Hulya by: Dilek VT
I'm not really sure how to rate this book. I liked writing very much but a couple of things really bothered me... But still pls do not mind my rating and give a chance this book. Who knows maybe you will end up loving it more than me? 😉😉
Danielle ❤️ Pretty Mess Reading ❤️
*****4.5 or 5 STAR*****

. . .I haven't decided yet. I will say that this was a fantastic read. It has everything you need for a 5 STAR read except. . .it ends on a fucking cliffhanger. There's no cliffhanger, it just ends. I'm emotional right now.

Review to come.
Paige
4 "That Ending" Stars

A Life Less Beautiful was an emotional second chance story that I don't think I'll ever forget. Moving from past to present, Ellis and Harlow's story builds from the time they were children to them in their 30's reconnecting after 10 years apart. Ellis was sent to prison and it tore Harlow's families apart. As Ellis and Harlow find their feelings for each other never really wavered, reality isn't always as easy. And not only are their lives very different now but they are v
♥ D r i  ♥
Jun 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
4 H E A R T B R O K E N stars!!!!

Eu nem sei o que dizer sobre esse livro...
Ainda estou tentando me recuperar...
Com toda a certeza esses dois ficarão pra sempre marcados na minha memória e no meu coração!
Não tô sabendo lidar, sério!
Meu coração está aos cacos...
Yvette (Booksandbandanas)
Jun 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I don't even know what to say.

I'm just heartbroken. Completely, heartbroken.

My heart feels heavy & sad & happy. I'm all over the place. I always love getting my hands on books that touch on topics that are real and powerful.

Elle did that and more so much more.

This was my first book by this author, I went in thinking one thing, and barely came out alive. Two souls meet when they are just kids, share a friendship, a bond, that would have them love each other forever. These two were unbe
Sophie
Shelves: june-2017
"True love stories never have endings.”
Yet, the ending of this book was heart breaking and heartwarming. Those two things meshed together in the most beautiful way resulting in a truly stunning end. From around the 2% mark Elle held my heart in her hand, she stole my breath and held onto it tight. I straight up devoured this book whole and I loved every breathtaking second.

Elle has penned this novel with a seamlessly, perfect fluidity. Each and every word was flawless. Past and present beautifu
Anne Mercier
Once again Elle Brooks has made my heart soar and then ripped it from my chest. I can't even. This book is full of so MUCH. A rollercoaster ride is putting it mildly. I cried and cried and cried, then I yelled at Elle (she's a friend lol) for destroying me... she then felt her job was done. She is correct in that assumption. She wrote a strong, enthralling, compelling, spellbinding, and heart-breaking book about two people who find their true loves in one another at an early age. That love never ...more
The Book Bee
REVIEW: 2 STARS
"She was effortless, it took no exertion or strength to love her, and when I was with her she made everything brighter."
(sic)

This is going to be a case of my thoughts don't mesh with others' thoughts. I know that I am in the minority here, and I completely understand that, but I am feeling slightly underwhelmed by this book. It may be something as simple as connection, or as big as story issues, but either way, it just felt drab to me. I felt like I was reading with a cloud ove
💕The Talented 💕💕Miss Ripley💕
Oh My GOSH!

When a terrible accident rips Ellis and Harlow apart, it shatters both their hearts beyond repair. More than a decade later, Ellis has paid his penance, but his regret still lingers, and the love he once harbored for his childhood sweetheart has never faded.

What Ellis believes has been destroyed forever, slowly comes
Carla
Jun 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
*I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review for Stephanie's Book Reports.

**Carla's Five Star Epic Review

OMG! What do I even write? That I am heartbroken? That I need a good stiff drink? That I need a therapist STAT? Yes, I definitely think a book therapist should be a legit thing! I have read other books by this author, and they were good-real good, but she has hit it out of the park with this one! It is simply beautiful!

Ellis and Harlow met as children, became best friends
Julie Kirby
Jun 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I’m going through all kinds of emotions reading this. I have been through elation, butterflies in my stomach, anger, love, compassion.

What a lovely couple Ellis and Harlow are, they are so in tune with each other, even after a long absence, they really ‘get’ each other.

I have loved following these two since they were 10 years old, and now in adulthood. That must have been a hard subject to research and write about, but I think you have done it so thoughtfully.

I have to be honest and say that
Elizabeth (Perusing Princesses)
GAH!!! Elle... you own my heart and soul... this book... is just... GAH!!! wow!

Elle has woven a tale so intricate, so beautiful, so raw... it couldn't be less beautiful if she tried!

You meet Harlow and Ellis at the tender age of 11. Their meeting is pretty intense! especially for Ellis. :). This encounter brings them into a tried and true friendship that spans decades.... they experience soooo much together.. the happy and sad.. the pain and love. Most of those emotions seem to go hand in hand..
Liz
Jun 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A powerful and heartbreaking story of love. What would you do for the one you love more than anything? A heartbreaking and emotional read.

A Life Less Beautiful by Elle Brooks was a 4.5 read for me.
Kathryn Andrews
Jun 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I have read all of Elle's books and with each one she amazes me and leaves me with a book hangover that lasts for days. This story of Ellis and Harlow... wow, just wow. If you love an angsty book that's full of surprises, grab your tissues, a glass of wine, and hold on for the ride.
Kayleigh Deal
Jun 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Honestly I have no words! This book has destroyed me! I write this whilst ugly crying!! This book is about true love! A heart stopping breathtaking love story! This book made me laugh smile cry and ugly cry even more! This book is amazing and is beautifully written! I would happy give this book 6stars! Ps buy some tissues! 💜 that ending! 😱😢😤😨😰😭🤧
Megan  ~The Never Ending Book Basket
I’m sitting here staring at my computer screen, trying for the life of me to come up with the right amount of words to even scratch the surface of the literal amazingness that is this book….and you know what?! I’ve already decided that no words I can tell you could even come close to capturing what it was like to read and experience and feel every breathtaking word this book. My words just aren’t good enough to show you what this book is like, or to capture how truly unforgettable it is.

My word
Katy Kitchin
May 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
5 Heartbroken Stars

‘I'm not so confident that my beautiful heart can survive Ellis Hughes twice.’

Where to even begin with this review? I've been a fan of Elle Brooks since I discovered her through FBBF16, I adore her The Promises Series: Promises Hurt, Forgotten Promises & Empty Promises. and Reveal. But this book has taken Elle’s writing up to a whole new level. My mind is officially blown, and my book hangover is strong after this one!

Elle may be Satan. My heart cannot take it. If you're w
Charlie M.  Matthews
Jun 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Emma Allsop - Perusing Princesses
5 Crowns

Harlow and Ellis were 11 years old when they met. Best friends and partners in crime, as they grew so did their feelings and they soon fell in love. Inseparable and tethered together by an intense love that nothing can break… and then tragedy strikes and the love that seemed so indestructible, shatters into tiny pieces. That was 10 years ago, 10 years that Harlow has struggled through without the other half of her heart. But Ellis is back and against all odds the embers of their lost lov
United Indie Book Blog
Jun 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Who said that love was easy has never truly love not one day. Love is an emotion that contains hundreds of different feelings. Love is pain, hurt, happiness, and home. Ellis and Harlow these were the two most complicated characters because they struggled through so much, yet there never seems to be that light at the end of the tunnel for them. This story was so beautifully written yet it will rip your soul out a little. This was a differently a read that took me to a whole new level. I loved how ...more
Samantha Schwerin
The beginning of this book really sucks you in. I also liked the pacing of the flash back scenes. However, I feel like the flashback scenes should have ended at the 50/60% mark and more should have happened at the present. By 50% the reader already knows why Ellis was in jail so the mystery/questions the reader had were pretty much already answered except for why he was writing a suicide letter in the beginning. The present aspects of this book moved so slowly...I admit I skimmed the last half e ...more
Elizabeth (Perusing Princesses)
GAH!!! Elle... you own my heart and soul... this book... is just... GAH!!! wow!

Ebbie ~Author Groupies
Jun 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
A Lie Less Beautiful is a stand alone, second chance romance story. Ellis and Harlow have know each other most of their lives. They were childhood friends, then first loves, and then they were torn apart by a tragedy for ten years. Will they make it or is the only way Ellis can mend Harlow's heart is to sacrifice his?

I'm such a sucker for childhood loves and second chance love stories; so I knew I had to read this one. It made me feel so many emotions. It's a beautifully written, heart wrenching
Ewelina
Jun 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
There is not enough words to describe how I felt reading this book. In any language. It simply took my breath away. Ms Brooks has a way with her words that always leaves me speechless. And this book was no different. No. It was so much more.

In here we meet Ellis and Harlow. Best friends. Best couple. Best everything. Nothing could keep them apart. Nothing and no one.

Both of them are so hard not to love. You simply can't hate them. It's impossible.

I knew Elle will not create a normal drama whe
Margaret
Jun 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I needed a couple of days to process this book before I could write a review.

Ellis and Harlow meet when she accidentally shoots him in the knee with a BB gun.

Harlow doesn't like Ellis to begin with because when her mum made her go to Ellis's house to apologise, she knew he was laughing at her.

After the mistake has been cleared up, they become best friends and from a child friendship a love story more powerful than any you've read before is Born.

I don't want to give the full story away. All I'll
Rosa Newport
Jun 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A Life Less Beautiful by the beautiful Elle Brooks .....a beautifully written love story about second chances. I immediately fell in love with the relationship between Ellis and Harlow and all the ups and downs they went through always sharing that great love. I absolutely loved this book, and everything about it. The captivating storyline, the wonderful characters, the way it flowed...though it went from past to present it was always consistent and flowed easily. A worthwhile read. This beautif ...more
Holly
Jul 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really didn't know what to think of this book. I loved Harlow and Ellis and together they were prefect. When I found out that Ellis was being released from prison for murder, I torn between wanting it to be the accident that happened or something worse. I do wish they had more time together though. But THAT ENDING omg, I really didn't know what to think. I love how Ellis did that for her but at the same time how does Harlow feel. The ending killed me
Jo
Jun 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
If, like me you take every opportunity to sneak in a bit a reading, then beware. I finished this book whilst sat on a packed commuter train from London. I found myself staring out of the window after I read the last word, frantically blinking and trying not to cry in front of a carriage full of strangers. Read in public at your own risk.

This book does not follow the established path. Told in dual POV, both current and past, this dual layering of the plot lines weave together to create a novel wh
Melanie
Jun 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
4.5 Broken Heart Starts (my broken heart)

OMG...it just ended. Why did it just end?? I need more, so much more!! This is such an emotional read and I am just left speechless on the ending. Ellis and Harlow has such a wonderful story with so many twist and turns in their paths but without them they wouldn't be the characters that they are...strong, fierce, loyal and so much in love.

This book had me feeling everything and then...????? Elle Brooks did an amazing job on this story. It is beautifully
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
8192108
Hello...

I'm a little neurotic; I function on a tiny amount of sleep and a huge amount of caffeine. I love green skittles and have an irrational fear of stormy weather. When I’m not writing about super hot college guys, you can generally find me googling them...All in the name of research of course. I can be persuaded to do just about anything with the promise of a good book or a bottle of bubbles.
More about Elle Brooks...