Start by marking “Alice (The Chronicles of Alice, #1)” as Want to Read:
Alice (The Chronicles of Alice, #1)

Alice (The Chronicles of Alice #1)

3.88  ·  Rating details ·  13,837 Ratings  ·  2,387 Reviews
A mind-bending new novel inspired by the twisted and wondrous works of Lewis Carroll...

In a warren of crumbling buildings and desperate people called the Old City, there stands a hospital with cinderblock walls which echo the screams of the poor souls inside.

In the hospital, there is a woman. Her hair, once blond, hangs in tangles down her back. She doesn’t remember why sh
Published August 4th 2015 by Ace

To ask other readers questions about Alice, please sign up.
Christina Henry It is the first of two parts. The second part, RED QUEEN, will be out next year.
Christina Henry No, it is not based on the game. Despite some superficial similarities this is a completely original work.

Emily May
Jul 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015, fantasy, favourites
“Alice dreamed of blood. Blood on her hands and under her feet, blood in her mouth and pouring from her eyes. The room was filled with it.”

This is one of the best, darkest and most disturbing retellings I have ever read. The author gets extremely creative with this world, weaving in characters we recognize from the original Alice in Wonderland but telling a very different kind of story. If you like your retellings to stay close to the original, then don't waste your time with Alice - it is ver
Lola

SAY HELLO

to one of the creepiest retellings ever written.

I didn’t think it was ‘‘gross’’ or anything of the like, but it is really, unmistakably disturbing. And that’s fun. Witnessing the new somber Alice kill a bunch of murderers completely captured my attention. Crazy thing is she still keeps a sliver of innocence through all of that. Maybe because, compared to her friend THE Hatcher, she’s a sweetheart. But she really made me think of a fallen angel ready for vengeance and who would stop at
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more
3/25/18 - ON SALE for $1.99:

9/12/15: When I first read ALICE, I had a hard time categorizing it. It was Victorian, but it wasn't steampumk. It was horror . . . ish. Fortunately, it very obviously a retelling, so at least I had that. BUT. Just having read this article: http://www.dailydot.com/geek/dreadpun... I can now solidly identify it at DREADPUNK. *grins creepily*

Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

The first thing you should know is that I bloody hate ALICE IN WONDERLAND
Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘

Bring it, Alice! I'm not scared. Oh, how I should have.

TRIGGER WARNING : Graphic rape (a lot) and violence

By no means is Alice a flawless book, and I'm not gonna lie, the first chapters, if they hooked me, confused me as hell in the same time. Who are these people? What do they want? What are their relationships like? Where the fuck are they? What's this world, where human traffic, rape and violence are common practices, where the awful way women are treated makes me want to scream?

To be hones
Wendy Darling
This is a bizarre, violent story, one full of menace and dark magic. It's trippy the way that every Alice book should be, and full of nightmarish images and themes.

I loved it for the most part...but. BUT. I have one problem with it, and it's a pretty major one: the book is extremely rape-y. Huge trigger warning if you are bothered by sexual violence of any sort, because it's everywhere in this world, both blatant and implied, and both active and imagined.

While I've always thought most fairy ta
 ⚔ Sh3lly - Grumpy Name-Changing Wanderer ⚔
Currently $1.99 on Amazon: April 5, 2018. I really enjoyed this!

This is a dark fantasy loosely based on Alice in Wonderland. The world is divided into two: The New City, where the wealthy elite live in clean neighborhoods that have not been destroyed by pollution and crime. The Old City is run by crime bosses, the most powerful are named Cheshire, Rabbit, Caterpillar, Walrus, and The Carpenter. Prostitution, human slavery, fight clubs, and general depression run rampant.

When the story begins, A
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

WARNING: MITCHELL WAS IN CHARGE OF GIFS TODAY SO THINGS MIGHT GO A LITTLE PEAR SHAPED

“Beware the jaws that bite, the claws that snatch . . .”

Confession time: I hate Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass and allllll of the movies that have been made from cartoon to Helena Bonham-Carter musey magic. It’s just never been my thing (save your anger – I’ll probably post something more offensive before this review is even over).
Dan Schwent
Nov 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016-books, 2016
Matthias
Mar 04, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-reviews
With "Alice in Wonderland" Lewis Carroll has created a world that has taken root in many people's minds. Wonderland's mysterious inhabitants have entrenched themselves into our dreams as soon as we heard or read about them. It should come as no surprise then that this realm has spawned millions of references, not to mention the abundance of stories that sprouted in other minds, with Disney twists and darker turns, but always with the Cheshire's grin somewhere lurking about.

When I read Lewis Car
emma
Review: 1.25/5

Well, as a retelling, that did a rather curious job.

I was so excited to read this book! It's even on my "can't wait to read" shelf. There is something about the idea of a retelling in which Alice has escaped from an asylum that so fits the wondrous aura of the original book. Yet this did not stick to any of the plot-points, truly. Which was very disappointing. I imagine it would be extremely difficult to manufacture a narrative from the nearly unrelated curiosities of the original
Evelyn (devours and digests words)
WARNING: Rape & sexual violence. I'm too pissed to let this subject slide off in my review.

I feel like head-banging the walls at how ‘oh-so-dark-and-morbid’ this book is. I can't even bring myself to say ‘This is so dark oMG!1!’ without feeling the need to roll my eyes off my sockets. Gross exaggeration there but I just can't take this book seriously when everything about it is so fucking flat and one-note with no complexity nor weight to it, and my god does this book tries too hard, too o
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
www.melissa413readsalot.blogspot.com

What a darktastic ride through wonderland accept... this isn't the wonderland most may be used to... this place is called Old City and it's not somewhere you want to find yourself.

Years ago Alice went from her home in New City with a supposed friend into Old City out of stupidity if you ask me....only Alice came out... and dear Alice was never the same again.

Alice is put in a mental hospital in the Old City by her parents for the rest of her life. You see yo
♛Tash
Aug 10, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

I haven’t read Lewis Carroll’s Alice in Wonderland.

I have watched several movie versions of it though, and I have to say that I am not a fan of Alice in Wonderland in general. It has always come off to me as the bad side of trippy, so needless to say I was wary of this Alice in Wonderland retelling.

“That was the trouble with not being right in the head. You couldn’t always tell if your eyes were telling the truth.”

Our Alice is in this story is not a pre-teen, but a woman in her late twenties wh

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

Imagine if Tim Burton and Quentin Tarantino sat down at a table to do a book collaboration.

"Let's make a book with tons of over the top violence," Tarantino might say. "Sexual, physical, cannibalism - you name it!"

"Okay," Tim Burton might say. "But only if we get to ruin somebody's childhood classic with an existential nightmare set in a surrealistic landscape of angst and desolation."

"And let's have a female character go on a killing spree
Kainat 《HUFFLEPUFF & PROUD》
"Alice, what are you doing?"
"Following the white rabbit, of course."

Well well well what a wonderful surprise this was. Might review it in future sometimes.
Nandakishore Varma
By all means, I should have hated this novel. It subverts one of my absolute childhood favourites into a story that is so dark, that you are left gasping for breath many a time. Don't take what I say lightly - this book is not for the faint-hearted. If you are put off by scenes of rape, torture and misery, please stay away - Christina Henry just piles it on.

Then why did I give it four stars? Well, as a horror novel, it is just one dark rollercoaster ride. Once you mount, there is no way to get d
Natalie Monroe

"Do not go seeking the Rabbit, else you wish for more death and madness."

Are you ready for the darkest, most fucked up retelling of Alice in Wonderland yet?

Like The Child Thief, Alice has all the elements of the original classic, but dusts off the powdered sugar and lets you see the darkness underneath.

Madness isn't whimsical—it's horrifying.

Years ago, Alice (the character) went down the rabbit hole and came back mad. Blood slicked her thighs as a result of rape. She resides in an
Katie.dorny
Jun 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
I enjoyed this; I’m interested to see how Hatcher and Alice’s relationship plays out in the second book.
The horror was not as much as you would think for this book but it definitely had gothic elements.
But it was the most imaginative Alice in wonderland retelling I have ever read. Alice and Hatcher meet in an Asylum, with the Jabberwocky trapped with them. Each classic character comes into play in different ways - it’s a very interesting and modern take and one I really enjoyed.
It was a creepy t
destini mia
Feb 08, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to destini mia by: Lola
"Alice! What are you doing?"
"Following the white rabbit, of course."

(x)

Instead, we'll just have to settle for 4 stars.

How exceptionally creepy this story was! It's been a really long time since I last read a horror novel and I hadn't realize how much I missed it until I picked up Alice. You're led by the hand, thinking you're going to encounter a fairytale and instead wake up in a nightmare.

Christina Henry got really creative with this retelling. I had always been a fan of the original,
Crystal
Mar 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Phrynne
Apr 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4000-books
I would probably have never read this but it was suggested for a Challenge ( thanks Teneal) and I have to say I liked it!
It is quite a remarkable book actually and Alice in Wonderland will never look the same again. In this rewrite Alice has been placed in an insane asylum due to her belief that she went down a rabbit hole and met a talking rabbit. From there we descend into what is really a horror story as Alice meets again the Rabbit, the Walrus, Cheshire and others only in quite different fo
Argona
Buddy-Read with my amazing friends, Charlie and Nermin! Thank you so much for this wonderful and enjoyable experience, my dears!*Hugs*

Tell you the truth, I used to dislike "Alice in Wonderland" when I was a child. I was very young when my mother bought me the Disney version of this story, to watch during a very hard illness. She was under the impression that I would love all the colors and the interesting characters that danced around. Well, I did not. I was having a fever while watching it and
Mogsy (MMOGC)
3.5 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum http://bibliosanctum.com/2015/08/25/b...

It recently occurred to me that over the years I’ve consumed a fair number of movies, games, comics, television shows etc. featuring retellings or re-imaginings of Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland – but never a novel. Huh. Suffice to say I was pretty shocked by this realization; after all, there are quite a few high-profile titles out there.

Christina Henry’s Alice therefore had the distinction of being my first “Alice re
Alex ☣ Deranged KittyCat ☣
This is my first Alice in Wonderland retelling. Right now, I don't think I'll ever find a better one. I liked everything about Christina Henry's Alice.

After reading a few goodreads reviews about this book, I felt nervous about the trigger warning regarding rape. I braced myself and expected the worst. Maybe because of that, I found the book less troubling than I thought it would be.

description

Once upon a time, there were two 16 year old girls who went missing in the Old City. Only one returned and she ha
Ellen Gail
Aug 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: People who like their fairy tales on the dark side
I feel the night crawling up all around, blotting out the moon. I feel blood running down the walls, rivers of it in the streets below. And I feel his teeth closing around me.

All the best people are crazy

Y'all, this is the story that Alice in Wonderland always wanted to be. It was bloody, strange, violent, engrossing, and just overall fabulous in its inescapable trippy weirdness. It's a twisty soft pretzel, salty and deliciously satisfying. It'll fill you up.

To help out with my review today, we
abby
Mar 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, fantasy
There were times when this book seemed so dark and perverse to me that I could barely stomach the thought of turning the page. It why this book gets 4 stars from me than perhaps the 5 it deserves on the merits. But I'm glad I stuck it out because Alice is a creative, if brutal, re-imagining the beloved children's classic.

Forget Wonderland. This time the rabbit hole leads to a lawless place known as the Old City. The city is divided into factions owned by feuding crime bosses: Mr. Carpenter (with
Christopher
After reading a bunch of the reviews here, I realize that we need to set expectations.

Alice is not a horror novel, at least not in the common sense. It is not scary. You will not jump or find yourself unable to sleep waiting for some monster to come for you. This is only horror in that it tells of a horrible world populated with horrible people. It is horrific, but do not come into this looking to be scared.

Second, this book is filled with rape, torture, and slavery. It is very dark, though I d
Elena Salvatore
“If you go chasing your freedom your fate will only follow you there and force you back.”

Alice doesn't remember how she got here or what sent her here, all she knows is that she's a patient in an insane asylum and the voice of the person next to her room.
Even when he tells her crazy things, she doesn't have any choice but to listen to him. He's the only person that talks to her and she isn't even sure that he's a person.
That is until the asylum is up in flames and with the help from him she fle
Drew
Sep 16, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“We’re all mad here…”

4 1/2 stars. My goodness, I never realized before how easy it would be to twist the original Alice in Wonderland story the tiniest bit and turn it into a tale of horror.

Alice was deliciously dark and creepy. Oh my, what Ms. Henry has done with the original characters was amazingly screwed up… I just loved it. Would you like a slice of cake with your cup of crazy? 'Cause things are about to get insane. Literally.

Alice ventured into Old City with her friend Dor, the place wher
Vanessa J.
A few months ago, I read Splintered, another Alice retelling that promised a lot... yet gave me nothing besides rage. This one seemed promising too, but I was wary... Wary because it could just be a bunch of nonsense that had no plot, or it could be offensive and stupid like Splintered was, or even worse, I had heard it featured rape scenes, and those can go horribly wrong if the author doesn't know how to use them. So yeah, plenty of fail opportunities.

First thing you need to know about this bo
  • Rolling in the Deep (Rolling in the Deep, #0.5)
  • Thicker Than Blood (Thicker Than Blood, #1)
  • The Last American Vampire (Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter, #2)
  • A Book of Tongues (Hexslinger, #1)
  • Abomination
  • Suicide Forest (World's Scariest Places #1)
  • Chapelwood (The Borden Dispatches, #2)
  • Suffer the Children
  • Hex
  • Gideon (Lauren Reardon #1)
  • Twisted
  • The Night Sister
  • Art of Hunting (The Gravedigger Chronicles, #2)
  • Slade House
  • Railhead
  • A Head Full of Ghosts
  • The Child Thief
  • Wake of Vultures (The Shadow, #1)
CHRISTINA HENRY is the author of the CHRONICLES OF ALICE duology, ALICE and RED QUEEN, a dark and twisted take on Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland, as well as LOST BOY: THE TRUE STORY OF CAPTAIN HOOK, an origin story of Captain Hook from Peter Pan.

She is also the author of the national bestselling BLACK WINGS series (BLACK WINGS, BLACK NIGHT, BLACK HOWL, BLACK LAMENT, BLACK CITY, BLACK HEART and B
More about Christina Henry

The Chronicles of Alice (2 books)
  • Red Queen (The Chronicles of Alice, #2)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Son of the Dawn (Ghosts of the Shadow Market #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Sanctuary (Nomad, #2)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Genome (The Extinction Files #2)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • The Jewel (The Lone City, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Mechanica (Mechanica, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Wired (Wired, #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Bandwidth (An Analog Novel Book 1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sufficiently Advanced Magic (Arcane Ascension, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Three Dark Crowns (Three Dark Crowns, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Bees
    $12.99 $1.99
  • The Land: Founding (Chaos Seeds, #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • The Mists of Avalon (Avalon, #1)
    $12.99 $2.99
  • Fool's Assassin (The Fitz and The Fool Trilogy, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Gone (Gone, #1)
  • Friday
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Dhalgren
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Conjure (Hoodoo Apprentice)
    $5.99 $0.00
  • Moon Chosen (Tales of a New World #1)
    $8.51 $2.99
  • Homeworld (Odyssey One, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Recurve (The Elemental Series, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Deviants (Dust Chronicles #1)
    $4.49 $0.99
  • Before She Ignites (Fallen Isles, #1)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • Cinder (The Lunar Chronicles, #1)
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Kill Society (Sandman Slim, #9)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Out of the Black (Odyssey One, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Acacia: The War with the Mein (Acacia, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Menagerie
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Infinite (Gates of Thread and Stone #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Eighth Grave After Dark (Charley Davidson, #8)
    $8.99 $2.99
“You’re only a mouse if you let them make you one.” 54 likes
“There was comfort in ignorance, in thinking the world a certain way and not knowing any different.” 35 likes