Start by marking “Council of Evil (Villain.Net, #1)” as Want to Read:
Council of Evil (Villain.Net, #1)

Council of Evil (Villain.Net #1)

3.82  ·  Rating details ·  331 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
When Jake, the school bully, deliberately infects the school's IT system with a virus, he starts receiving strange emails. Somebody is inviting him to join them in 'conquering the world' and they send him a link to a website: VILLAIN.NET. It only takes a few clicks before Jake finds himself signed up to an entire world of supervillains.
Paperback, Paperback, 236 pages
Published June 1st 2008 by Oxford University Press, USA

Jan 15, 2013 rated it did not like it
This book was awful. Unlikable characters galore, cliched dialogue, and very implausible story events.
On one of the back pages of Rise of the Heroes, it reads: "Tired of being a goody-two-shoes all the time? Ready to get in touch with your dark side?" This page was an advertisement for the book series. After reading it, I thought, "Why not? I'll pick up a copy and see how it is." After all, so many people claim that being a villain is more fun, and that very sentiment was
Andy Briggs's Villain.Net Council of Evil by Andy Briggs is a book for kids. This book talks about a kid named Jake Hunter who is a bully at school. When Jake Hunter received an email and click the join button inside the email, he turned from bully to villain. Will he adjust to being a villain?

I picked up this book because I wanted to see the villain's point of view and not just the hero's point of view.

I finished this book because I can't let go of the book.

I think I would recommend this t
Mar 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
andy briggs your books are awesome
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Jennifer Rummel for

Jake Hunter is your average bully - until one computer class leads him to a mysterious website.

The website allows him to download superpowers. When a teacher mistakingly witnesses him bullying a much younger student, Jake must serve detention. When Jake attempts to unsuccessfully explain the truth, rage pulses through him.

Green energy radiates from his body, rendering the teacher unconscious in addition to causing the destruction of the classroom.
May 30, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
There are a lot of good ideas in this book, but the execution is pretty terrible. Bad descriptions that feel like fanfic-- where I'm already supposed to know how everyone looks and acts-- coupled with atrocious dialog. To give an example of how this plays out, I spent most of the book wondering if superhumans were some sort of secret in this world or not, and only managed to answer that question for myself when it was explicitly explained near the end.

There's a lot to like here. I like the fact
Renn Raven
Oct 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I actually really enjoyed this book. I picked it up because my little brother read the entire series in a week, and he normally hates books and anything to do with English so I was intrigued.

The story follows Jake Hunter, a school bully who meets a villain called Basilisk and is given access to a website where he can download superpowers. Soon though, things spiral out of control and Jake becomes a wanted fugitive.

I must say, I thought it would be difficult to like an anti-hero but actually I
James Hargest Library
Dec 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Jake Hunter is the school bully. Everybody keeps out of his way. Except for Pete who Jake seeks out to bully, the cause of the bullying from him self’s own loneliness. After he hacks the school system with a virus, he starts to revive strange and crypt emails, someone who is inviting him to join them onto the evil side, along with a link VILLIAN.NET. After a few clicks Jake is signed up for something amazing, an entire world of supervillians. Soon Jake has been summoned by a fiend called Basilis ...more
Aug 25, 2014 rated it it was ok
Jan 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Jake is your average school bully always picking on kids. Until one days he finds this website called which allows him to download superpowers and use them for evil. He first chooses radiation which causes him to glow green. He then meets this villian called Basilk and he is one of my favourite characters in the book. A hero called chameleon comes but is chameleon the good guy or bad guy?

I loved this book. I would recommend it to any one who likes supervillians and lots of action.
Jul 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book was good but I think I preferred a bit more. I think it was because Jake was such a bully even though you find out why. I did not like basilisk - he was too insane for you to like him at all. I preferred Chameleon because he is the superhero. It was interesting the way that you found out about Jake's background from Basilisk- it made the story a lot more believable. I am looking forward to the next book and the next Tarzan.
Jan 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like the way the author hasn't made the characters entirely black or white. Even the 'good guys' aren't completely innocent. After reading this you don't feel so bad for supporting the 'bad guys'. I also liked the way he holds back some plot twists to keep things interesting. Definitely one you should read to the end.
Jun 24, 2009 rated it liked it
Enjoyable adolescent literature book. The story moves quickly and there is a lot of action. This book interests me because it has another book called which takes place at the same time with different characters becoming heroes instead of villians. I will be interested to see where Andy Briggs goes with this series.
Apr 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was a very original and interesting idea in our current digital age. The action was fast and furious and it was unusual for the book to be from a baddie's point of view.

The start of a promising series with a cliffhanger of an ending leaving you eager to start the next book.
Kelly Martin
Oct 19, 2010 rated it really liked it
Its between a 3 and a four star. Can't decide!!

Full review of and and an interview with Andy Briggs starting on the 11/11/10 at So check it out, comment and enjoy =)
Sue Murdoch
Nov 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Having read Heroes I enjoyed the interplay between the plots; as a non author I think this is quite an achievement! I felt that Jake's character is explored more deeply and this added more satisfaction for me. Hero and Villain books are really suited, I think, to years 5 to 8 tops.
May 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
this is a really exciting and interesting book. I can't wait to read the next one-as soon as i get it anyway.
Mar 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Madigan McGillicuddy
reviewed for SLJ
Raven Engelking
Jan 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
I loved this book. I will buy the series and the series. I like the concept and the story line. I think Andy Briggs is a brilliant writer and I'd like to read more of his books.
Jun 13, 2009 marked it as to-read
Saw this on MySpace and thought it looked interesting.
Feb 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: action, adventure, feb-14
Cool book overall.
Aug 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
amazing book, want to read the rest of the series soon.
Mar 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
Thought this was pretty cool back in year seven
Sep 04, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Една страхотна книга,чийто край ме нерви,защото авторът реши да спре точно на най-интересното...
Mo Yang
Jul 11, 2009 rated it really liked it
A fun book. Recommended for anyone who enjoys superhero books with a dash of drama.
Aug 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Jul 22, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
HMSA Summer Reading: book review 1 3 Jan 10, 2017 03:38PM
  • Star Wars: The Clone Wars Character Encyclopedia
  • The New Heroes: Superhuman (New Heroes/Quantum Prophecy, #3.5)
  • Assault (Recon Team Angel, #1)
  • Transformers Dark of the Moon
  • Home Truths
  • Rescue Josh McGuire
  • Owly, Vol. 3: Flying Lessons (Owly, #3)
  • Pay the Piper (A Rock'n' Roll Fairy Tale, #1)
  • Jimmy Coates: Assassin? (Jimmy Coates, #1)
  • Hex (Hex, #1)
  • Zombie Baseball Beatdown
  • Double Vision (Double Vision #1)
  • Eve of Destruction (Dark Eden, #2)
  • Farewell to the Master
  • Going to Ground (The Shapeshifter, #3)
  • Jellaby: Monster in the City (Jellaby, #2)
  • Joshua Dread (Joshua Dread #1)
A British writer who works extensively in Hollywood and more recently in comic books. and are his first books launched in June 2008, with their sequels HERO.COM: VIRUS ATTACK and VILLAIN.NET: DARK HUNTER are out now - and more in the series coming next year.

The books are available in UK, Canada, New Zealand, Australia and South Africa.

Next year they will be out in: USA, Czech
More about Andy Briggs...

Villain.Net (4 books)
  • Dark Hunter (Villain.Net, #2)
  • Power Surge (Villain.Net, #3)
  • Collision Course (Villain.Net, #4)

Young Adult Deals

• The Silent Shield (Kingfountain #5)
  • Orphan Train Girl
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Angus, Thongs and Full-Frontal Snogging (Confessions of Georgia Nicolson)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Alone
    $17.99 $2.99
  • Gateway to Fourline (The Fourline Trilogy, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Scourge of Muirwood (Legends of Muirwood, #3)
  • Period 8
    $6.74 $0.99
  • The Blight of Muirwood (Legends of Muirwood, #2)
    $3.99 $2
  • The Forsaken Throne (Kingfountain #6)
  • How Dare the Sun Rise: Memoirs of a War Child
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Caraval (Caraval, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Rebel Genius
    $6.38 $2.99
  • Dreamology
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Secret Hour (Midnighters, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Fear the Drowning Deep
    $16.99 $1.99
  • What We Saw
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Grand Tour: or The Purloined Coronation Regalia (Cecilia and Kate, #2)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Insignia (Insignia, #1)
  • Blood Rose Rebellion