Start by marking “The Mandala of Being: Discovering the Power of Awareness” as Want to Read:
The Mandala of Being: Discovering the Power of Awareness

The Mandala of Being: Discovering the Power of Awareness

4.16  ·  Rating details ·  124 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
Many people obstruct their innate potential through repeated patterns of emotional struggle and suffering. This practical, hands-on guide explains why and how people habitually fall into this trap and provides a program, easily incorporated into everyday life, that frees them from this destructive behavior. Using a simple mandala, the book illustrates the four places human ...more
Published January 18th 2007 by New World Library

To ask other readers questions about The Mandala of Being, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mandala of Being

May 21, 2008 rated it really liked it
I liked this book better than Eckhart Tolle's for awareness work as this gives practical applications - more how-to and hands-on. And I could relate more to his language than Tolle's pain-body. It is a bit repetitive and that gets old. Since I'm a very visual person, the diagrams help focus the attention and allow the mind a place to settle while trying to move into the physical and stay in the NOW.
May 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
Richard's Mosses' mandala encompasses you, me, past and future and the stories we make up in our heads about it all. The goal is to let go of those stories, live in the present, and do what he calls "start from the beginning of yourself".

"We can awaken gradually through hundreds and even thousands of moments of grace. Moment by moment, we can learn to draw from the richness of our beginning in the midst of all that life demands from us. To support this potential, which is actually a process of r
Apr 15, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Spend just a single day being completely aware of where your thoughts lead you. How often does your mind wander? How much time do you find yourself recalling or analyzing things that happened in your past? How much time do you spend worrying about what might happen in the future? What stories do you make up about yourself in your wanderings? Are you self-sacrificing, underappreciated, and undervalued? Are you hardworking and eagerly climbing the ladder of success? Are you bitter that everyone el ...more
Sep 29, 2007 rated it liked it
I am unexpectedly thrilled to be done with this book. Moss is a wise teacher and makes a strong case for his accessible and useful techniques. The problem is his tendency to repeat himself. I thought for awhile that he was repeating his ideas in order to emphasize them, but I think if he realized he was doing this he would say so. On his behalf, I told myself I was probably too thick to learn and apply his principles unless he repeated them multiple times. I wanted to like this book so much that ...more
Chris Armer
Mar 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Very few books get a five star rating from me. The ones that do contain what I feel are life transforming ideas that are communicated clearly and creatively. However, the book can be quite redundant at times. Nevertheless, I felt that every chapter of the book contained much thought provoking material. Now the hard part is in practicing. I will most likely read it again in the near future.
Oct 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
One of the most important books I have ever read. Not for everyone because if you're not into self discovery and new thought it won't make much sense. But for seekers it is spectacular. Moss explains things in a way that made difficult concepts simple, and the Mandala as a tool is terrific. An easy five stars.
Lakshmi Narayanan
Oct 20, 2008 rated it liked it
I found the ideas expressed in this book very similar to the ones that Eckhart Tolle did in his two books so I stopped some time after a third of the book.
However, Richard Moss does a very good job of representing the essence of his book in the three circular diagrams that he uses in his workshops as well.
I would recommend the book to anyone looking for yet another way to center one's self.
daniel smith
Aug 27, 2007 rated it really liked it
The mindset he teaches in the book is very similar to the concepts of improv, being in the moment and such. He pretty much disses all religions which is fine with me but could be hard to digest it your "faithful" to some God. All religions but Buddhism that is, he has a lot of parallels.
Jun 12, 2008 rated it it was amazing
A must read for anyone doing awareness work. I bit dense at times and in need of some additional editing. Important none-the-less.
Oct 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite books that I still sometimes look back on. Opened me to new ways of thinking; I think anyone could find something beneficial from this book.
Jul 09, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: coaching
The book was a collection of psychobabble and new-age catch phrases. After reading the entire book, I'm still unclear of the message the author was trying to convey.
Paul Svoboda
Jul 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Profound, deep, and inspiring.
Eddie Black
Apr 06, 2015 is currently reading it
Currently on page 75 and, while I really like the message... I find myself saying over and over, "the horse is dead, get on to the next point". More than once I looked at how thick the book is and wondered if the rest of the book follows suit and how thinner it would it.

There are good passages, however. I am sticking it out.
Liz Baker
Feb 12, 2012 is currently reading it
amazing so far!
May 11, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: psychology
Not really read. I just may not be in the right mood for this, but I could not get interested enough. Moss repeats himself quite a bit and I moved on to another book instead.
Jan 14, 2011 marked it as to-read
Having a hard time getting through this one... a slow read for me
Carrie Ridgeway
Jun 14, 2015 marked it as to-read
Shelves: yogafit
Recommended reading for YogaFit Level 5.
Aug 25, 2009 marked it as to-read
this is the text for a non-violent communication class I'm taking
Jul 28, 2014
  • Spiritual Partnership: The Journey to Authentic Power
  • Mandala Symbolism
  • Radiance: Experiencing Divine Presence
  • Spiritual Liberation: Fulfilling Your Soul's Potential
  • The Tao of Watercolor: A Revolutionary Approach to the Practice of Painting (Practical Art Books)
  • The Mind-Body Code: How the Mind Wounds and Heals the Body

• Crazy Love: Overwhelmed by a Relentless God
    $15.99 $2.99
  • Twilight of the Elites: America After Meritocracy
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Art of Living: The Classical Manual on Virtue, Happiness, and Effectiveness
    $10.49 $1.99
  • The Crosswicks Journals: A Circle of Quiet, The Summer of the Great-Grandmother, The Irrational Season, and Two-Part Invention
    $29.99 $3.99
  • Come to the Edge
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Art of Communicating
    $9.49 $2.99
  • American Jezebel
    $8.24 $1.99
“The Now is not an ultimate state to be realized but rather a continuum to be lived.” 1 likes