Start by marking “Little Vampire” as Want to Read:
Little Vampire

Little Vampire (Petit Vampire #1-3)

3.79  ·  Rating details ·  383 Ratings  ·  47 Reviews
Living in a house filled with grown-up ghouls and monsters, Little Vampire is so lonely that he’s even willing to go to school if that’s what it takes to find friends.  Unfortunately, school seems to be filled with children who are still alive. . . .

Little Vampire finds friendship with a boy named Michael, and they embark on adventures in the three stories in this collecti
Published April 29th 2008 by First Second

To ask other readers questions about Little Vampire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Little Vampire

Maede
Mar 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
چهار ستاره کمیکی
(نقاشی+خاص بودن+داستان گویی متفاوت+عجیب بودن)

به طرز وحشتناکی دوست داشتنی
یک کمیک که انگار از دل انیمیشن های محبوبم در اومده، عروس مردگان و کابوس قبل از کریسمس
نقاشی های عجیب غریب و شلوغ، داستان کودکانه و ساده
یعنی یک ترکیب عالی

۹۵.۱۲.۱۹

I just loved it. Exactly what I needed. A comic straight out of the world of "corpse bride" and "the nightmare before Christmas". I always envy characters who have fantasy pets.
Weird and messy pictures, childish story, a perfect combination!
Mohsen M.B
Mar 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Mohsen by: Maede
Shelves: comics
اگر نظر یه دوست قابل اعتماد وجود نداشت بعید بود سراغ این کتاب برم
با خوندن چند صفحه اول احساس کردم این هم مثل بقیه داستانهای تکراریای هست که فقط نقاشیهای بانمک دارن
اما
وقتی به اواسط داستان رسیدم یهو همه چی تغییر کرد.
به طرز عجیبی جالب و بانمک شد، نه اونقدر که برای یه بزرگسال خیلی جذاب باشه اما برای نوجوانان فوقالعاده است و واقعا انصاف نبود کمتر از این بهش امتیاز بدم.
خصوصا با نکتهي اخلاقیش که خیلی به درد بعضی از دانشجوهای ما میخوره
:))
Dov Zeller
Dec 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphics-comics
I've read this one a lot over the years. It's one of my favorites. The Little Vampire Goes to School I especially love. It's silly and lighthearted in many ways but also addresses loss and death and myths as metaphors for our emotional experiences (as well as best homework practices for those who are friends with vampires.)
Mely
Jan 26, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
I think what I love most about Sfar's work is how confidently and centrally Jewish it is. It's not always a big deal, and it isn't here; it's just a fact. When the skeletal Captain asks the little boy Michael to swear on the sign of the cross, Michael says, "I'm Jewish." "Swear on the sign of the star, then." "We don't do that," Michael says. "Besides, I'm an atheist."

Little Vampire is tired of being the only kid in a house of ghosts and monsters. He wants to go to school. The monsters take him,
Georgina
May 01, 2012 rated it did not like it
i didnt finish this book it was a bit boy. also the cursive was hard to read. i think boys should read this book.
Shel
Jul 24, 2009 added it
Shelves: middle-grade
Sfar, J. (2008). Little Vampire. New York: First Second.

Originally published as child-friendly individual comics, Little Vampire includes three of those comics as chapters in this graphic novel. In the old mansion, Little Vampire surprises all the ghosts and other creatures of the night by declaring that he wants to go to school. Of course there's a problem—classes are held in the daytime and Little Vampire can only venture to school in the night. Not giving up on his desire to learn,
Katiee Rideout
The little vampire is interesting. It has three stories in one, but personally I believe that you have to read the first story to understand the rest of them. One explains how he gets his friend Michael, and the rest talk about their adventures.

This is a cool graphic novel. Every page the color scheme fits how the scenes are going. If it is red, it might be tension or someone is angry. If the color is purple it is more calm and the scene is building up to what is happening next. The gutter space
Rebecca Ann
Apr 12, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Beginning with the positives: the art was cute and a bit reminiscent of the nightmare before christmas, but with more jewel tones. I like the basic idea of a vampire child trying to make friends, it's a bit like Casper.

The not so positives: The intended audience and tone seemed to bounce around, as some things were captain-underpants-style humor but the story also touched on a more serious look at religion and wives being unfaithful. There were internal consistency problems and unexplained aspec
Kaethe
The best thing about it is Little Vampire's dog, Phanomoto, who is bright red and Rotten Ralph-like. Little Vampire himself doesn't have a name, and his origin is a little puzzling. The monsters are all cute in a Real Monsters/Ugly Doll sort of way, so it isn't really creepy, but the stories aren't very well thought-out, as if Sfar ran into problems, picked a solution, and let that drag him along to the next problem.

Neither Natasha nor I loved it. For a similar feel, but more cohesive plot, I ca
Andrés Santiago
Jul 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, children
Joann Sfar is a genius! This is one of the best children's books ever. Beautifully drawn and wildly imaginative. The stories are exciting and fun, it has that "anything can happen" feel to it with just the right amount of values to go with it. Sfar cannot help but putting a bit of himself in one of the characters: Michael, the little vampire's best friend is clearly a young Joann Sfar. I wish I would have read this as a kid. Can't wait for more...
Michael
Aug 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Awesome. A little vampire decides he wants to go to school; the boy who sits at his desk during the day is shocked to find his homework already done, so he tracks down and befriends Little Vampire. The duo, with Little Vampire's red ghost dog Phantomato, rescue dogs, learn kung-fu and engage in mischief with the monsters. It's funny, it's charming, and it's excellently drawn. Definitely a winner for kids and those of us who sometimes wish we still were.;)
Erin Reilly-Sanders
I liked this one better than Sardine in Outer Space, feeling that the art worked a little better and that the pacing of the storyline was more appropriate. Still not one of my favourite funny graphic novels though- it just didn't grab me the way I would have expected it to- but at found it engaging enough to make it to the end.
Lars Guthrie
Nov 02, 2008 rated it it was amazing
And yet another great offering from First Second by the very unique and quirky Joann Sfar, whose "The Rabbi's Cat" is a great adult graphic novel. All about a charming vampire boy, his human buddy Michael, and the outlandish denizens of a haunted house who watch over the children along with Michael's tolerant grandparents.
Jason Furman
Aug 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
I love Joan Sfar's drawing and storytelling sensibility. This short graphic novel is aimed for children, it tells three stories of a little vampire living in a house of ghosts and other ghouls who befriends a local orphaned Jewish boy. Each story unfolds as an adventure but ends with a distinct moral.
Molly
Apr 21, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This is a cute graphic novel series that starts with a little vampire who just wants to go to school. It has monsters, vampires, ghosts and more. There is a character obsessed with poop and a rude dog that I think would make a great Family Guy character. I can't wait to book talk this to a boy. Grades 4+ but not for a sensative kid.
Meepelous
Oct 13, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: all-ages
A delightfully dark children's comic. This is a collection of three stories, and while I enjoyed them all I thought that the first two had a bit more all ages appeal. It might just have been because I was reaching the end of the book, but the last one felt the least appealing to me as an adult; this was despite the fact that I had already read the first story once as a separate picture book.
Robin
May 12, 2008 rated it liked it
This is one of the titles I included on my RIEMA presentation last month. I think it's a lot of fun and the illustrations are wonderful as are the characters. Little Vampire just wants to have the life of someone who is alive so he makes friends with a boy and begins to do normal activities but during the night.
Fizzgig76
Sep 29, 2008 rated it really liked it
Little Vampire makes friends with a human, helps fight a bully, and saves a group of make-up animal test dogs. This is a weird comic. It is aimed at children, but it is very dark at points. The boy in the story at one point says he's an athiest, and he also tells his grandfather that he wants to shoot up everyone in his school...very un-PC, and I like it.
Michelle Cristiani
Nov 10, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
Little Vampire is funny, quirky, clever, and entertaining. I enjoyed hanging out with him and his friends. There is so much to look at in every frame, and the scariest of monsters manage to be friendly and welcoming. Cute!
Anurak Chanposri
Feb 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-book
มีแปลเปนภาษาไทย แตหายากนิดนึง ภาพสวยจินตนาการดี เปนหนังสือเดกทีสวยใหภาพและจินตนาการทีแปลก แตกตางแกเดกๆไดดี ผมชอบใหลูกๆดูหนังสือทีมีภากสวยๆ แปลกๆ ไมเหมือนใคร แนะนำเลมนีเลยครับ ลูกสาวสองคนชอบมาก ยิงมีเปนหนังการตูนดวย ยิงสนุก และไดอรรถรสไมตางจากหนังสือเลย ...more
Betsy
Jan 04, 2009 rated it it was ok
One Sentence Review: I am a Sfar fan to the marrow of my bones but I have found that unless he is writing for adults his books err a little too far into Itchy and Scratchy territory for my liking.
Bria
Aug 22, 2014 rated it liked it
A few weird little heavy-handed bits thrown in there, but cute enough.
Sara
Dec 04, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I adore Joann Sfar, and this one is great for kids.
Elaine
This is a very strange little graphic with three stories included. A bit like "The Addams Family," but with more gore and mess. Definitely for older kids, though some bits seem to skew young.
Nina
Mar 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids
Absolutely charming.
Ingvard the Terrible
Mar 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Love Joann Sfar, and this is such a great idea. Perfect for boys.
Peter
Feb 18, 2010 added it
fun 3-part book
Leah
Awwwwww!
Sonic
Jun 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
Fun and funny, cute little stories that meander and change in curious and imaginative ways.
Dawn Rutherford
Oct 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel, tween
Delightful and odd. Many poop references will make it beloved by children and shunned by prudish adults.
  • Kaput and Zosky
  • My Mommy Is In America And She Met Buffalo Bill
  • Little Lit: Strange Stories for Strange Kids
  • Pinky & Stinky
  • The Courageous Princess
  • Sardine in Outer Space
  • Magic Pickle
  • Sticky Burr: Adventures in Burrwood Forest (Sticky Burr #1)
  • Faradawn (The Fog Mound 2)
  • Sound Off! (Adventures of Daniel Boom AKA Loud Boy #1)
  • Jellaby: Monster in the City (Jellaby, #2)
  • Stinky
  • Moomin: The Complete Tove Jansson Comic Strip, Vol. 3
  • The Stuff of Life: A Graphic Guide to Genetics and DNA
  • Gabby and Gator
  • The Dragon Players (Knights Of The Lunch Table, #2)
  • Cat Burglar Black
  • Owly, Vol. 3: Flying Lessons (Owly, #3)
Joann Sfar (born August 28, 1971 in Nice) is a French comics artist, comic book creator, and film director.

Sfar is considered one of the most important artists of the new wave of Franco-Belgian comics. Many of his comics were published by L'Association which was founded in 1990 by Jean-Christophe Menu and six other artists. He also worked together with many of the new movement's main artists, e.g.
More about Joann Sfar

Petit Vampire (7 books)
  • Little Vampire Goes to School
  • Little Vampire Does Kung Fu!
  • Petit vampire et la Société Protectrice des Chiens
  • Petit vampire et la maison qui avait l'air normale
  • Petit Vampire et la Soupe de caca
  • Petit Vampire et les Pères Noël verts
  • Petit Vampire et le rêve de Tokyo

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Paradise Lost (The Vampire Diaries; Evensong, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Obsidian Curse (A Stacy Justice Mystery #5)
  • A History of Glitter and Blood
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Bloodstone (A Stacy Justice Mystery, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Steeplejack (Steeplejack #1)
    $8.51 $2.99
  • Oz Reimagined: New Tales from the Emerald City and Beyond
  • The Song of Achilles
    $11.74 $1.99
  • Kushiel's Dart (Phèdre's Trilogy, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Black Tuesday (Time Patrol)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Heart of Betrayal (The Remnant Chronicles, #2)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • The Rogue Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #3)
  • Cloaked in Red
  • Warrior's Revenge
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Fire and Bone (Otherborn, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Pale Queen Rising (Pale Queen, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Emerald Isle (A Stacy Justice Mystery #4)
  • The Elven
  • Children of the New World
    $9.99 $3.99
  • The Best of Robert E. Howard: Crimson Shadows (Volume 1)
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The Romeo Catchers (The Casquette Girls #2)
  • The Graveyard Book, Volume 1
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Devil in Silver
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet (Wayfarers, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Shadow Hunt (Disrupted Magic, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Last Girl (The Dominion Trilogy, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Quantum Thief (The Jean le Flambeur Series, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Beauty of Darkness (The Remnant Chronicles, #3)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Starship Grifters (Rex Nihilo #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fields of Fire (Frontlines, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Darwin Elevator (Dire Earth Cycle, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Country of Ice Cream Star
    $8.74 $1.99
  • The Cottingley Secret
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Blood Gamble (Disrupted Magic, #2)
  • The Curiosity
  • Virtual Light
    $7.99 $1.99
  • A Closed and Common Orbit (Wayfarers, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Busted Flush (Wild Cards, #19)
    $7.99 $2.99