Start by marking “Evans Above” as Want to Read:
Evans Above

Evans Above (Constable Evans #1)

3.66  ·  Rating details ·  2,822 Ratings  ·  230 Reviews
A new mystery series featuring Evan Evans, the new constable of Llanfair in Wales. It is a town of eccentrics, among them two competitive ministers, one lascivious barmaid and three other Evans, ' Evans-the-Meat, Evans-the-Milk, and Evans-the-Mail. Evans-the-Copper's first case is the murder of hitchhikers.
Published 1997 by St. Martin's Press

To ask other readers questions about Evans Above, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Evans Above

Kirsten **Be A Dragon**
A very enjoyable mystery. Very reminiscent of Hamish Macbeth (except the people aren't nearly as silly). I guess maybe people are just a little edgier in North Wales. I really enjoyed this. It has a good meaty mystery as well as delightful characters and setting. Should think of no less from the lady who brought us Lady Georgiana.
Judy
Jun 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When two men are found dead on Snowdon, young village policeman Evan Evans suspects foul play, but his superiors blame mountaineering accidents. Evan sets out to investigate. The mystery itself is interesting and not too cosy, but the many lovingly-observed details of life in a village in north Wales do give a warm feel, and there is a lot of humour along the way.

For instance, the hunky Evan is always trying to avoid endless meals cooked by his motherly landlady. He also has romantic troubles,
Kimberly
2.5 Stars

Ahh, who doesn't like visiting new places in a cozy mystery book? I love to, especially when they take me to cute little villages and hamlets like Llanfair. This was my first time reading a book by this author and though I've seen some other books written by her I wasn't too familiar with her work.

Lucky me this one was chosen as one of the 4 monthly group reads in one of my GoodReads groups. Now while I'm glad that I gave a new author a try (I've been trying to read a lot of new to me
Jonathan
Let me start off by saying that Rhys Bowen is hands down the best historical mystery author I've ever read. She manages to combine true events and her characters so well that you wonder if her characters couldn't have really been at these events. However, I've finished her Royal Spyness series (though I have the ARC for the next one sitting on my Nook!) and her Molly Murphy series, so that left me with only one more series to read; the Constable Evan Evans mystery series. I can say that, though ...more
Natasha M.
Aug 04, 2011 rated it liked it
While the Her Royal Spyness have a sort of sweeping tongue-in-cheek and yes, ridiculous but still cutely charming in its own right story lines (who can say no to Darcy O'Mara?) I'd say the Constable Evans series (though this is the first one I've read) is a little bit more grounded rather than theatrical.

Taking place in modern day Wales (oh Welsh words, I don't even know where to start with you lot) we get a look at the idyllic village life. There's mt. Snowdon, there's a town that knows everyt
Kathy Davie
Feb 04, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first in the mystery series, Constable Evans, Evans Above feels like a cross between the village life of Agatha Christie with the camaraderie between Inspector Jury and Divisional Commander Brian Macalvie in Martha Grimes' Richard Jury series. Evans has left big-city crime behind for the peace and tranquility of village life in Wales and has no desire to become entangled with any woman. Ahh, to dream for so little...and not get it. Evans soon becomes entangled. With a series of unexplained m ...more
Dagny
Jul 20, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bowen-rhys
This is the first in Bowen's series featuring Evan Evans, constable of Llanfair, Wales. In this novel we meet the residents of Llanfair, many of whom are named Evans and distinguished by such names as Evans-the-Meat, Evans-the-Milk, Evans-the-Post, and Evans-the-Law. We are introduced to two of the local women who are interested in Evans-the-Law and his mothering landlady who would like to set him up with her granddaughter. The mystery, the deaths of two hikers on the mountain, is intriguing and ...more
Debbie
Nov 08, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: shop
I normally do not read off shore based books, but I picked this up at a booksale and I really did enjoy it. I like that Ms. Bowen writes in the local dialect. I will be moving on in this series.
An Odd1
Mar 10, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Wales is a vacation, however eerie, misty. First book has serious elements. Evan is nice; I look forward to hanging around with him. He's naive like Chesney aka Beaton's Hamish but stays out of other beds. Unknown peeping creeps and flashbacks annoy. Llanfair pub has likable and fun folk.

Stew, Jimmy, "one of Danny's close friends in their little gang from hut 29 .. must have sent the postcard" p 2, "Tommy" asks his way politely "in his cheerful cockney .. looking for the Everest Inn" p 3. Manag
Paula
Jul 11, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime, series
Picked this one up as a bookswap, as I'm always on the lookout for first books of new series so I can try stuff out...

There's a comment on the cover of Evans Above that likens the series to the Hamish Macbeth novels of MC Beaton and that should have told me everything I needed to know about this one. Like the aforementioned novels, Evans Above is about a big-city police officer coming to a small village, this time in the heart of Snowdonia.

The eponymous Evans becomes involved in a mystery when t
Hal
Dec 19, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the initial volume in the Constable Evans series. I had previously read "Evan Help Us," which I liked just enough to look into this book.

After reading these two cozy mysteries, I find that Rhys Bowen seems to need a few chapters to warm up. I think she relies a little too much on an unlikely coincidence in this book, which to me is a sign of weak writing. I don't want to detail the coincidence here, to avoid spoiling the story for those who have not finished the book.

More importantly, I
kari
Sep 14, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
Fun mystery, start of a series, but I knew that going in.
Evan Evans is the constable of a small Welsh village. There is lots of bits about the locals and how the larger police force thinks a village copper should leave the detecting to the bigger department, but the mystery is local and Evan is in the thick of it.
I've read Rhys Bowen's Her Royal Spyness series and really enjoyed it so thought I'd see what else she has to offer and I was not disappointed.
The mystery is great. The location is goo
Erin
Mar 22, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I've read most of these, b/c my library has them. And I like the information about Welsh culture b/c I had a friend who was Welsh. I, also, like that I wasn't always able to solve the mystery/murder. But the prejudices of the different pastors (and church goers) in the small village don't betray Christians in a good way. And it annoyed me b/c it didn't seem relevant to the story, but was thrown in to poke fun of Christian beliefs.
Ruth Balf
Jan 23, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
It was a lovely, light read. I just smiled through it a lot. Such innocent characters in a mythical welsh village. What's not to like?
Ryan
Jun 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Evans Above is the first in a series of police procedurals type murder mysteries. Except is not as griity as most are, this one is is set in Wales, in a small village. Evan Evans, a top notch police detective, is relocated as Constable in a small village, where he spends his days mostly preoccupiedduties of a small town. Instead of Solving murders and looking for killer, his time consists of finding out who ruined the local ministers' wive's prize-winning vegetables, among other duties. Everythi
Lillian Reeves
I've read all of MC Beaton's books and I was looking for a new series. I started a few series, but this was the one book among the ones I started that I finished. The story Is set in Wales and sets up similarly to the Hamish Macbeth stories. Small town, many characters, each interested in what Evan Evans, the local constable, is getting up to. The book fell short, though, in the department of character development. Evan is a shallow character and doesn't really appear to care about the people of ...more
pdarnold
It may just be me, but I found this a bit less entertaining than Rhys Bowen's Her Royal Spyness series. This is the first book of the Constable Evans series, so I'm hoping it improves with the next. Don't get me wrong, it was a fun escape. The characters have yet to really grow on me. The most fun is found in the pub with Evan's trying to escape the clutches of the lusty barmaid. The best of this book is the descriptions of the area. A cozy mystery that doesn't quite deliver satisfactorily. Not ...more
Sara Jane
Jun 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A nice introduction to Constable Evans. I enjoyed the look into Welsh life. It may not be an accurate description, but life there sounds slower than what we experience in much of the US these days.
Maggie Kiely
Rhys Bowen is a 'nom de plume' used by Janet Quin-Harkin who has written many other books under her own and assumed names.
Thought I would try this series Book one was middle of the road characters were ok an easy read but nothing to write home about in my opinion. Will try others in series
Linda
Jul 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Light funny read. Looking forward to future books in this series.
Sandy Voegtlen
Jun 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The characters were great fun. I look forward to spending more time with them in the second book of the series.
Lorenia L. Lemas
Such a fun book! I will enjoy this series.
Cynthia
Cute cozy. Reminded me of the Hamish MacBeth series by MC Beaton in some ways. Interesting plot and equally interesting characters. Recommended for cozy lovers.
Martha Burke-hennessy
Welsh mystery

I've always liked Wales and this mystery of Evans Evan, the new constable in a small Welsh village with an unpronounceable name, is fun.
Diana Conner-Marks
Rhys Bowen is one of my favorite authors. I prefer Her Royal Spyness and Molly Murphy series. This is a very light and quick read and I got a kick out of the village lady constantly complaining about her tomatoes being trampled on while people kept getting murdered in the village. Lol she had her priorities confused but Evan nicely dealt with her at the end of the book. Had to wait until the last pages and I think that was my favorite part.
Teresa
Mar 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audible, fiction
Crime fighting in Wales.
Cybercrone
Good story. Good fun.
Anastassia Dyubkova
That was the trouble with Wales - you didn't think it was a foreign country, but it was.

Я начинаю всерьёз недоумевать, почему во всех попадающихся мне книгах, где местом действия является Уэльс, основные события сосредоточены именно в Северном Уэльсе. Чем писателям не угодил Южный с его шахтами, для меня загадка, но почитать про деревню у подножия горы Сноудон (или по-местному Yr Wyddfa) тоже было, в общем, неплохо.
Чего в этой книге точно хватает, так это валлийского колорита - он очень чувствуе
Barbara Cook
Mar 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.75 stars Mystery book that takes place in a Welsh village on the side of a mountains. Usually quiet and peaceful but constable Evan Evans is on the job when needed! Nice easy simple read. I like the people.
Leslie
Feb 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Always fun to find another series!
  • The Cold Light of Mourning (A Penny Brannigan Mystery #1)
  • Anything Goes (Grace & Favor, #1)
  • Death of a Cad (Hamish Macbeth, #2)
  • The Body In The Transept (Dorothy Martin, #1)
  • Alpine for You (Passport to Peril, #1)
  • Sweet Revenge (A Lady Arianna Regency Mystery #1)
  • Twelve Drummers Drumming (Father Christmas Mystery #1)
  • Murder On Monday
  • The Inspector and Mrs. Jeffries (Mrs. Jeffries, #1)
  • Family Skeletons (Torie O'Shea, #1)
  • Off Kilter (Scottish Highlands, #1)
  • The Dead Cat Bounce (Home Repair is Homicide, #1)
  • The Young Widow (Phillip Bethancourt and Jack Gibbons Mysteries #1)
  • Murder at Longbourn (An Elizabeth Parker Mystery, #1)
  • The Companion (Lizzie Martin, #1)
  • The Christie Curse (Book Collector Mystery #1)
  • Snobbery With Violence (Edwardian Murder Mysteries, #1)
202867
"I'm a New York Times bestselling mystery author, winner of both Agatha and Anthony awards for my Molly Murphy mysteries, set in 1902 New York City.

I also write the Agatha-winning Royal Spyness series, about the British royal family in the 1930s. It's lighter, sexier, funnier, wicked satire. It was voted by readers as best mystery series one year.
I am also known for my Constable Evans books, set
More about Rhys Bowen...

Constable Evans (10 books)
  • Evan Help Us (Constable Evans, #2)
  • Evanly Choirs  (Constable Evans, #3)
  • Evan and Elle  (Constable Evans, #4)
  • Evan Can Wait (Constable Evans, #5)
  • Evans to Betsy (Constable Evans, #6)
  • Evan Only Knows (Constable Evans, #7)
  • Evan's Gate (Constable Evans, #8)
  • Evan Blessed (Constable Evans, #9)
  • Evanly Bodies (Constable Evans, #10)

“looked up. “Maybe that will jog someone’s memory and make them come” 0 likes