Start by marking “Journal Keeping: How to Use Reflective Writing for Learning, Teaching, Professional Insight and Positive Change” as Want to Read:

3.54  ·  Rating details ·  24 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
** By the authors of the acclaimed Introduction to Rubrics
** Major growth of interest in keeping journals or diaries for personal reflection and growth; and as a teaching tool
** Will appeal to college faculty, administrators and teachers

One of the most powerful ways to learn, reflect and make sense of our lives is through journal keeping.

This book presents the potential
Published April 21st 2009 by Stylus Publishing (VA) (first published October 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Journal Keeping, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Journal Keeping

Elizabeth
Jul 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
Though this book had some obvious and repetitive sections, it is also a remarkable synthesis of the research into journal keeping. More important, it provides excellent ideas for how to use journals in a variety of (primarily) academic contexts.
Emily
Aug 31, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: pedagogy
Useful and practical. Very much focused on handwritten journaling, but then so are my students so that works. Good on matching journaling to assessable rubrics. So focused on being practical that it's kind of plodding, but I've got to get this course planned and it helped.
Diana
Sep 30, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I was disappointed but judging from the fairly good ratings that I am seeing I may be biased. I was looking for writing prompts to use in reflective writing but this book is more for school students and teachers in educational institutions. Perhaps I should have been careful to read the subtitle before buying the book. Definitely not a book for serious teachers and facilitators of writing workshops to heal or those who are looking to find inspiration for reflective writing.
Marlena
Recommended by Tomorrow's Professor listserv (January 2010)
"The Book on Journals: But where Stevens and I found agreement on what journaling often is and shouldn't be, she and Joanne Cooper, coauthors of Journal Keeping: How to Use Reflective Writing for Learning, Teaching, Professional Insight, and Positive Change (Stylus 2009) have a deep understanding of the good that can come from journaling."
Nicole
Oct 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I LOVED this book. It has equiped me with a number of skills that will help me on my lifelong journey of learning and discovering who I am. It's my kind of self-help book!

I loved it so much that after returning my library copy I'm going to buy it for reference in the future.
Mark
rated it did not like it
Jan 12, 2010
Bakari
Apr 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
The book is written in academic style, mainly I would say for professors and researchers in the field. It's not a really dry read, and I did learn a little more about the uses off journaling, especially in academic and professional settings. I would recommend though if you want to learn about journal writing for your own personal use, this not the book to read. I would have read and annotated the book faster if it were published as a Kindle ebook.
Knight Annie